7 3.4%

23 11.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

0scar

Thing is, if this really happened yesterday night already, why would they allow him to do the flag parade in the rehearsal, just to remove him from the actual arena just minutes later?? They even set up the props for the Dutch performance.

It all doesn't make any sense and it feels dodgy. There are more sides to this story.

Chorizo

Why are some people complaining about Joost in the press conference? Just because he asked "Why not?" when the Israeli singer was told that she doesn't have to answer the question? That seems like a rather minor issue to me.

Rocket man

I saw online what Joost said and did in the press conference. Trashy behaviour. At least Dons from Latvia has some class in what he said about Israel even though I don't agree with him completely.

And seeing the type of people online outside of the Netherlands that loved Joost's performance last night has really turned me off this entry now.

I still expect Joost to finish in the top 10 which is still a great result.

Barish

Big disappointment when someone sings about the bigger picture and then joins in into the most primitive bullying against a 20year old.

bigger disappointment when said 20 year old represents the country/broadcaster/state who is the sole responsible entity for all of this mess and gods forbid if people try to hold the organisations, representatives, and delegations accountable for the stuff that is being overlooked and use eurovision as a propaganda machine

edit: oR MAYBE his bigger picture also includes peoples of the world who are currently suffering under apartheid regimes? not just this narrative of being disrespectful of a representative or country without any solid reason. Food for thought really.

Last edited:

Jupiter

A quick look on his insta proves this is nonsense... But it's not looking good.

His posts remain, but apparently his insta stories are gone. He posted several yesterday that should still be up, given they're not 24h old yet, but they're gone.

This seems to be such a mess now. We have no idea so far what happened, and any speculation feels rather pointless. This year is really.... difficult :/

Sammy

Veteran
Why are some people complaining about Joost in the press conference? Just because he asked "Why not?" when the Israeli singer was told that she doesn't have to answer the question? That seems like a rather minor issue to me.
Because it was not his turn nor duty to speak. A press conference is between the reporters and the individual artist. It‘s not a „Stammtisch“ where anybody belts out what crosses his mind.

Shadowfuxcs

Between this, the overall impact of Israel's participation, the obvious double standards of the EBU on what is political and what not, I'm getting a grim feel from Eurovision this year.
I don't even like the song but they earned their qualification and I hope they don't face consequences because of stating an opinion or giving a deservedly ironic response to the press.
If this is about something irrelevant, so be it, but I'm afraid we might not learn the actual story no matter what happens till tomorrow.

Chorizo

Because it was not his turn nor duty to speak. A press conference is between the reporters and the individual artist. It‘s not a „Stammtisch“ where anybody belts out what crosses his mind.
It might have been out of place, but I don't think it's a major issue. People are just very tense now because of the political mess that this year has become.

Sammy

Veteran
It might have been out of place, but I don't think it's a major issue. People are just very tense now because of the political mess that this year has become.
Surely not. And it‘s pretty clear that this wasn‘t the „incident“ EBU is referring to. Because if it had been, they could just have included that in their statement since it happened publicly. The incident in question happened surely off the public eye, therefore the EBU has to verify what really happened before they go public.

0scar

Didn't like his behaviour at the press conference as well but it isn't a major problem, come on. Nothing to actually be DQ'd about. Joost even asked "In what way?" before the guy said Eden Golan shouldn't answer if she didn't want to. So Joost actually tried to make it somewhat easier for her in the first place.

Etanna

I don't think the Joost situation has anything to do at all with Israel. Apparently he's been super agressive and unpleasant with a lot of people and Eurovision staff since the beginning. Maybe he went a step too far.
is there any source for this? it doesn't seem right to judge somebody based on hearsay
it's not a major issue (aka I'm sure he didn't get into trouble over the press conference) but on a purely personal level he came off as unnecessarily rude and smug there which was quite off-putting for me (and possibly other people too)

Chorizo

I think many people are fed up with the EBU's "there is nothing to see here" attitude when it comes to obvious political controversy. We have had this for years with Russia and to a smaller degree with other countries. I don't want to blame an artist for a simple indirect statement or a question like "Why not?". Joost didn't play along and for a moment refrained from pretending that there is no controversy. So be it. It was refreshingly honest. Israel brought the controversy to the contest, and they knew what they were doing. It doesn't matter what people think about the war or Israeli politics. The problem is the controversy that we have to deal with now at Eurovision.

I can understand that you cannot just ban a broadcaster because it represents a country that's at war, and I understand people saying that Israel has the right to participate, but the controversy is real and I think people should have some leeway to express themselves instead of being forced to keep up a facade of pretending that everything is fine because Eurovision is just an "apolitical" song contest. When there is a controversy like this, you need to give some leeway to both sides, lest you take a side.

Irish Cameltoe

Big disappointment when someone sings about the bigger picture and then joins in into the most primitive bullying against a 20year old.
A 20 year old is not a child, and she is most likely an artist taking part wilingly (I don't think IDF is putting a gun to her head, especially now that they must save their bullets). And if that's "bullying" then I don't what to say.

Magimixer

I don't want to see the Netherlands have to withdraw and I hope Joost can stay in the competition.
As already mentioned, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Israel but it would be great if EBU could communicate properly so all these stories come to an end. I mean, tonight's show is just hours away…
Has any info been given in the Dutch media??

Top Bottom