Contact us

United States ☂️ WV190 ☔ Nicole Miglis - All I See Is You

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Who asked for some Dream Pop?

United States of Murica
Beach House - Myth

BeachHousePMVH6413986.article_x4.jpg

Lyrics

Drifting in and out
See the road you're on

You came rolling down the cheek
You say just what you need
And in between
It's never as it seems

Help me to make (name?) it

If you built yourself a myth
You'd know just what to give

What comes after this
Momentary bliss
The consequence
Of what you do to me

Found yourself in a new direction
Aeons far from the sun
Can you come?
Would they come to breach you?
Let you know you're not the only one

You can't keep hangin' on
To all that's dead and gone

If you built yourself a myth
You'd know just what to give
Do you lie?
Oh, let the ashes fly

-----------------------
You have no idea how desperately I waited to finally send this song to WV. "Myth" is my most heard song of 2016 and this it totally deserved. It has some celestial beauty and I feel like this is music is supernatural, not from the earth. I make such bis statements only for a little bunch of songs, like some amazing WV entries or to half of Sigur Rós' discography. So you see, this songs really means quite a lot to me. Surely not so much that I will burst into tears in case of a failure... but still more than Human or Holocene, for example :D

Beach House is a dream-pop band founded in Baltimore in 2005. It's actually a duet consisting of the US-American Alex Scally, who is playing the instruments and the wonderful French singer Victoria Legrand. Yes, it's a female singer. I guess one doesn't notice it cause her voice is really distinctive and deep and at the beginning I thought it's a male voice. Some people compared her vocals to those of other dream-pop or psychedelic rock singers like Hope Sandoval, Kendra Smith or Nico.
Anyway I really appreciate the voice, it really suits the song in a fantastic manner.

Within the dream-pop genre Beach House is quite a big player, so if there are people who tried to guess my band after reading my "Dream pop" hint they would have been able to guess rightly. I'd like to come up with more unknown artist but as long as the relatively famous ones are so amazing and breathtaking like Beach House I can't help but send it and share the beauty with you.

About the lyrics: I think it's mainly about a person who had a tragic loss but can't accept it so he/she build a myth and lives in the illusion that nothing changed and he/she can still be together with that person. At the end however, he/she has to accept the reality, the facts, cause one can't escape from it. He/she must understand that life goes on.
There is one uncertainty in the lyrics. I couldn't figure out if the line is "Help me to make it" or "Help me to name it". I read both versions in different lyrics pages. If I listen to the song I rather hear "make" but possibly "name" makes more sense xthink Anyway, I hope you will help me to make it to the final xcheer :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Beach House - Myth

Woah my favourite artist of all time getting a mention in your postxheat Gosh, i've slacked this edition. You've wrote such a huge chunk of lovely text. I always like reading what you have to say about your entries. My mind is blown that the vocals come from a lady. I'm listening to the song in a whole new way now, and I think i'm enjoying it even more. Deep voiced women FTW! This is such a cool entry. The moment you played this band to me at Dubtrack I was looking forward to hearing them at WV eventually. I'm delighted it's happened so soon. Such a lovely, floaty vibe this song creates. Those guitars are enough to give me eargasm. You always send great songs but this is one of your very best. You so deserve the final with this song and I hope you can get itxcrossed

ShoeFlo

I thought about creative/funny/iconic ways of expressing my gratitude to the people who made me qualifying but I couldn't think of any.
So I chose the traditional way and just say Thank you guys :D
Being in the final with that risky choice from a risky genre really means a lot to me and it feels good for my heart to see one of my greatest music discoveries of last year taking this step to the Grand final

I was optimistic after LL but later the reactions, prdictions etc clarified that I was rather an underdog so during the results show I got more and more nervous and started being doubtful .. then the USA banner appeared and I was relieved like a guy who managed to cross a shaky bridge over the Grand Canyon, made of rotten wood.

I have the least possible expectations for the final now... "Myth" isn't a song that you could allocate to any specific pot but I guess I got big parts of my voting from Pot F and that was because there weren't a lot of Pot F songs in my semi so they could reward my song by giving relatively high points. Looking at the results especially from SF1 makes me realize that the competition gonna be too strong so I can only expect to get the "succulent scrap" points from these users. But that's just theory. Let's see how things turn out.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I must admit I was one of those people that was nervous for your song, as with music like this it can be difficult to point out exactly who your audience is among the WV players. This final is all the more delicious with your beautiful song being there. This dreamy piece strangely feels actually a very typical ShoeFlo entry. It's something in a very special world of it's own and it requires patience on the listeners part. It sort of unravels itself.

I think you'll be getting more than succulent scraps for Beach House in the final. I had the same thoughts last edition, thinking I wouldn't do too well because of the overabundance of certain styles of songs, but look what happened! I believe you can still rock the scoreboard with this, and I hope for more dream pop from you in the future. Good luck Floxcrossed Now to go check out some Beach House on Spotifyxheat

ShoeFlo

s-l64.jpg
:us:
image.png
Muricavision 62
image.png
:us:
s-l64.jpg

Movie Soundtracks

Here we go. As I announced to an elite group of people I'm doing an Movie Soundtrack/Instrumentals National Final to decide who's gonna represent the United Murica in the WV 62 in Mexico City. xshifty
My music journey through USA reached the next checkpoint. Starting with some Indie-Folk, going to Folk-Folk, Synth-Pop, Dream-pop and now I'm going straight into Soundtracks
Worldvision is such a huge event that even some dead composers decided to wake up and join this NF.
There are 10 songs, I hope this is not too much for you guys. Impossible to do an Movie Soundtrack as USA juror with less than 10 participants.

Before I post the songs, Credit where credit is due: Three of these songs (Number 7, 9 & 10) were suggestions by dear [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] . Thank you so much for that! Usually I don't like suggestions but the last few weeks have been exhausting, I hadn't much time for doing researches and her suggestions were very inspiring and helpful. Hell, I could have made a NF just with her songs but ofc I also had some own ideas so I think in total I found a good mixture. If one of her suggestions is gonna win this NF and even the WV I should make her the co-host for WV 63. That would be just fair :D

The Songs
(without any banners and embedded videos, want to keep that post short as possible)

Voting Procedure
:10: :8: :7: :6: :5: :4: :3: :2: :1: :0:

Deadline: 2nd April, 12 CET

One Question to everybody who is interested: It might be hard for some of you to start listening to this NF knowing that there are 10 songs... would it help you if I do an LL within the next few days? Then we can listen to the songs together and you can immediately try to create your Voting. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to receive your votings!!!

Voted: :mk: :lond: ::midw ::losn :ie: :nwen: :de: ::saus :mx: :nrwe: ::atti :sc:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Beach House - Myth | WV 62 MURICAVISION: MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

PHILIP MFING GLASS xheart xheat xheat

:mk: will vote

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Beach House - Myth | WV 62 MURICAVISION: MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

I shall try and get round to voting Mr. ShoeFlo! Cannae promise, as I said to Rainy, as life is a little hectic, but will try and do so tonight or tomorrow! :)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member

YAY soundtracks NF! :D xlove I think we all know Rainy's 10 pointer, though. :lol:

9. Jerry Goldsmith - The 13th Warrior End Titles (The 13th Warrior)
Good example for "movie meh, soundtrack woo!" Some epic parts and some amazing orientalic parts. Great mixture. R.I.P. Jerry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfcA9E0vcA
Hey! The 13th Warrior is an awesome movie. IOTAP ;)

One Question to everybody who is interested: It might be hard for some of you to start listening to this NF knowing that there are 10 songs... would it help you if I do an LL within the next few days? Then we can listen to the songs together and you can immediately try to create your Voting. :)
I sadly won't be able to attend. :(

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Here we go. As I announced to an elite group of people I'm doing an Movie Soundtrack/Instrumentals National Final to decide who's gonna represent the United Murica in the WV 62 in Mexico City. xshifty

You told Ashley, Liza and Trece you were doing this special NF but you never told me? How could you.. my heart is broken.

I notice you have a piece there by my favourite composer Angelo Badalamenti. Twin Peaks is my most loved TV series (I basically adore David Lynch). You sir have beaten me to the punch here and I hate youxheart I was thinking of entering one of his tracks with vocals though. In fact, I already sent an Angelo Badalamenti song into one of the spinoffs, the Marianne Faithfull song "Who Will Take My Dreams Away?". She recorded that song for City Of Lost Children and even recorded a full album with Angelo as well.

An LL would be great I think. It would help people to vote. I'm excited to hear the songs now but maybe i'll wait if you're organizing one. Imagine a joint Instrumental and Elliott Smith LL? *cough* ahem *wink wink* .............. *COUGH* Gosh, lives would be enriched. Anyway, good luck ShoeFlo. Either way, you have my word that i'll be voting in this NF.

daniels1000

Gotta love reading your posts about your entries Florian xheart

About your entry this time, you never fail to reach my heart with your entries. xlove Btw, to me it's so obvious that she says "name" in the song. There's only one place where I could hear something similar to make, but still I always hear that "m" in the word. And also, I can't believe that many people thought this could be a male voice. I mean, it does sound manly a bit but still I hadn't even thought about that before I read your post. Just my two cents.

Oh, 10 songs. :mrgreen: I think I promised you to vote here, and I never break my promises. xacademic

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

You told Ashley, Liza and Trece you were doing this special NF but you never told me? How could you.. my heart is broken.

I wanted to tell you but ShoeFlo threatened to move to Bonn and send Cascada for the next 20 editions if I did. Everyone knows Only I can send Cascada.

Also Schindler's List theme tune is there, gosh. xcry1

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I wanted to tell you but ShoeFlo threatened to move to Bonn and send Cascada for the next 20 editions if I did. Everyone knows Only I can send Cascada.

Also Schindler's List theme tune is there, gosh. xcry1

It's understandable why you didn't tell me. It's alright. It would be like someone threatening to take WorldVision by storm with Kurt Vile if I didn't keep a dirty secret. Cascada is your life. You were right to keep schtum.

And yes.... Schindler's List. Why don't we all just take a break next edition? Flo has basically won already. He has to do this the edition i'm trying to tug at people's heartstrings as well. I should sue to be honest. He saw I was sending my most tragic artist yet with a cry jam and whips out an iconic piece relating to the most horrific event of all time. There's only room for one melancholic wreck around these parts.

giphy.gif

ShoeFlo

what-did-you-just-say.gif

I notice you have a piece there by my favourite composer Angelo Badalamenti. Twin Peaks is my most loved TV series (I basically adore David Lynch). You sir have beaten me to the punch here and I hate youxheart

I hate myself as well xheart After listening to some more of his pieces I understand why he is your fav composer

An LL would be great I think. It would help people to vote. I'm excited to hear the songs now but maybe i'll wait if you're organizing one. Imagine a joint Instrumental and Elliott Smith LL? *cough* ahem *wink wink* .............. *COUGH* Gosh, lives would be enriched. Anyway, good luck ShoeFlo. Either way, you have my word that i'll be voting in this NF.

We should really do this. First my NF and then, as the highlight of the evening, your Elliott Smith NF will follow. Of course we would have a break in between filled with some epic interval acts. For example all the ESC performances of the Barbara Dex Award winners, so we have something to laugh about.
But now there are the Easter days and I don't know how people here are celebrating this. Me and my family nowadays don't give a f... about Easter but other people have other traditions :lol:
Probably Tomorrow evening might be the best possible day for doing such an event. I will have to think about this and make an announcement.

Gotta love reading your posts about your entries Florian xheart

About your entry this time, you never fail to reach my heart with your entries.
Didn't we know before that we are twins when it comes to music taste? xlove :lol:

Btw, to me it's so obvious that she says "name" in the song. There's only one place where I could hear something similar to make, but still I always hear that "m" in the word. And also, I can't believe that many people thought this could be a male voice. I mean, it does sound manly a bit but still I hadn't even thought about that before I read your post. Just my two cents.

Yes, I agree. I realized she rather says "name"
The voice is clearly androgynous but most androgynous voices I heard in songs turned out to be male. Some people here have been surprised indeed when I revealed her being female.

Oh, 10 songs. :mrgreen: I think I promised you to vote here, and I never break my promises. xacademic

Maybe you can join my LL? Do you have time on Saturday?

e5mw5f.gif

And yes.... Schindler's List. Why don't we all just take a break next edition? Flo has basically won already. He has to do this the edition i'm trying to tug at people's heartstrings as well. I should sue to be honest. He saw I was sending my most tragic artist yet with a cry jam and whips out an iconic piece relating to the most horrific event of all time. There's only room for one melancholic wreck around these parts.

First Schindler's List theme has to win this NF :lol: I thought it will fit well in this NF since the other songs might be mysterious, uplifting, beautiful, epic but not melancholic. So I urgently had to select something very sad. Both Elliott Smith and John Williams would stand alone cause they are completely different. I think the people here can cry twice in a LL don't you think :lol:

daniels1000

Didn't we know before that we are twins when it comes to music taste? xlove :lol:

I thought it's never stupid to repeat it countless times. xheart

Maybe you can join my LL? Do you have time on Saturday?

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll be going home to my family this weekend so I can't promise anything. Also, I think I won't be at home tomorrow evening, Sunday late evening/night would probably be better for me but also something unexpected may come up. But I'm not sure if there are people who celebrate Easter a lot here... Even if you decide to hold it and I'm not able to join, don't worry, I'll vote for sure. xup

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I hate myself as well xheart After listening to some more of his pieces I understand why he is your fav composer

We should really do this. First my NF and then, as the highlight of the evening, your Elliott Smith NF will follow. Of course we would have a break in between filled with some epic interval acts. For example all the ESC performances of the Barbara Dex Award winners, so we have something to laugh about.
But now there are the Easter days and I don't know how people here are celebrating this. Me and my family nowadays don't give a f... about Easter but other people have other traditions :lol:
Probably Tomorrow evening might be the best possible day for doing such an event. I will have to think about this and make an announcement.

First Schindler's List theme has to win this NF :lol: I thought it will fit well in this NF since the other songs might be mysterious, uplifting, beautiful, epic but not melancholic. So I urgently had to select something very sad. Both Elliott Smith and John Williams would stand alone cause they are completely different. I think the people here can cry twice in a LL don't you think :lol:

Angelo Badalementi essentially teams up with David Lynch on everything he does. They are long term collaborators. You chose a great moody piece.

We so should do a joint LL where I can attempt to steal the entirety of Pot F that will be there. I'll bring my cattle prod for the occasion. The highlight of the evening will of course be your wondrous instrumental NF but perhaps I can pick up a little interest for Elliott. Also we'll not be laughing at Rona Nishliu who was wrongly awarded the Barbara Dex award, unless the Barbara Dex award means dressed in the most iconic of ways.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Beach House - Myth | WV 62 MURICAVISION: MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS Post #906

:lond: has made it through all ten songs (very sneaky having the longest one at the end... :p ) and rather enjoyed the NF! Best of luck ShoeFlo! :D

ShoeFlo

Re: United States of Murica (USM) | WV 61: Beach House - Myth | WV 62 MURICAVISION: MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS Post #906

Thanks for your voting Robert xheat

Top Bottom