7 3.4%

23 11.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritofKeiino

I don't support Israel, am glad they didn't win and any harassment/bullying by their delegation is wrong - BUT how do we know that other delegations didn't do similar to Israeli delegation? Especially when tensions were so high

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't support Israel, am glad they didn't win and any harassment/bullying by their delegation is wrong - BUT how do we know that other delegations didn't do similar to Israeli delegation? Especially when tensions were so high
Oh they would have screamed and shouted about it believe me lol

Miloutchi

Apparently AVROTROS complained twice about the unsafe atmosphere. Once before the 2nd semi-final. They talked with EBU, but noticed no improvements. And then they filed a written complaint again on Friday. Sorry, but the more information comes to light, the harder I find it to believe the EBU is the innocent party in all of this.

Joost is just the one person who was least able to deal with all the shit that was happening there. And knowing his background, that’s just sad.

SAYAY

Apparently AVROTROS complained twice about the unsafe atmosphere. Once before the 2nd semi-final. They talked with EBU, but noticed no improvements. And then they filed a written complaint again on Friday. Sorry, but the more information comes to light, the harder I find it to believe the EBU is the innocent party in all of this.

Joost is just the one person who was least able to deal with all the shit that was happening there. And knowing his background, that’s just sad.

I definitely think Joost must have been in an already very stressed state of mind before what happened happened. I can't defend his actions, but I think his reaction towards the crew member is also a part of the bigger picture here with an already not very nice environment behind the scenes.

Miloutchi

I definitely think Joost must have been in an already very stressed state of mind before what happened happened. I can't defend his actions, but I think his reaction towards the crew member is also a part of the bigger picture here with an already not very nice environment behind the scenes.
I think so too. He mentioned struggling with mental health, specifically PTSD. He wrote songs about this.

There are only victims here.

SAYAY

I think so too. He mentioned struggling with mental health, specifically PTSD. He wrote songs about this.

There are only victims here.
I feel sorry for him. What he did wasn't good, but I want to think he regrets his actions and that everything just really took a toll on him. I struggle with mental health issues too, so I know a bit what its like sadly.

Lumina

Netherlands breaks a rule - disqualified and police called in
Numerous complaints made about another country breaking the rules - allowed to compete, however has bowed to pressure and is ‘investigating’

I don’t know if you play foolish on purpose or not but THAT ARE TWO DIFFERENT CASES. Police can’t punish someone just for fun because someone else misbehaved in a completely different situation that has nothing to do with the first.

0scar

Tbh I'm not too keen on diagnosing people with mental health problems based on a hunch

Miloutchi

Funny how Joost got disqualified because they have zero tolerance and need to create a safe working environment for their staff, yet all the complaints from the broadcasters is that it wasn’t a safe environment.

Can we disqualify the EBU too?

Sammy

Veteran
Netherlands breaks a rule - disqualified and police called in
Numerous complaints made about another country breaking the rules - allowed to compete, however has bowed to pressure and is ‘investigating’

Drain the EBU swamp.
as I said - you want to be unhappy. If that’s your choice, go for it.

But if you look at it: different things are to be handled differently. Not every breaking the rule is on the same level. That‘s why it is investigated. As the EBU also did with Joost initially. Remember - it took them a while to take a decision. I dont know on which level the incidents with other delegations were - nor do you. We both weren’t present. If they turn out to be as severe as Joosts actions, there will be sanctions accordingly, like excluding them from next year. But apperently those incidents did not demand immediate actions, seen from the point of information of today.

But if you want to believe in injustice, there sure is always a way. It‘s just neither objective not very healthy.

Miloutchi

Tbh I'm not too keen on diagnosing people with mental health problems based on a hunch
Me neither, but Joost has spoken about this:

Miloutchi

What happened with Joost was a one time thing in the heat of the moment for which he apparently apologized several times immediately after.

I still need to see an apology for the multiple times certain other people were intentionally harassed.

Miloutchi

Apparently the Serbian broadcaster also criticized the disqualification of the Netherlands. Why would another broadcaster even get involved in this if there is not more to the story.

Toposcoupe

I feel sorry for him. What he did wasn't good, but I want to think he regrets his actions and that everything just really took a toll on him. I struggle with mental health issues too, so I know a bit what its like sadly.

He wouldn't be the first artist to emerge damaged from the Eurovision song contest.

While not related to the song contest, the Dutch public broadcaster has recently been under intense scrutiny for transgressive behavior.

Morever, several artists have opened up about their bad experiences during the contest:
  • Joan Franka (2012) was in the news last April when she shared in a music program about how she fared during and after her participation in the Eurovision Song Contest. She had no confidantes around her and was not allowed to have her parents with her, was humiliated and fatshamed by people from her team, and fell into years of depression and developed an eating disorder.
  • Dion (2023) has been completely silent on social media since his participation at Eurovision. Mia and Dion were dealt with harshly by the Dutch media and gossip press.
  • S10 (2022) is now also open about her participation in the Eurovision Song Contest. She doesn't want to complain, "but the Eurovision Song Contest is really very intense. With my team, with the bubble I was in, with the AVROTROS and others, I was very well protected." But "you have to be in that venue for 12 to 14 hours almost every day. You have to perform, people constantly want something from you. That certainly took its toll on me." She says: "Many people have crossed my boundaries, especially backstage where it is actually not a pleasant environment for artists."

I suspect that AVROTROS attaches extra importance to the well-being of its own artists because of all the stories about inappropriate behavior (at other broadcasters, I believe), because of changing times and because of the experiences of former participants. I think the AVROTROS has therefore started to act more assertively in the interests of the artist instead of in the interests of the EBU, by sometimes refusing sponsored activities by the EBU, or by directly addressing the dissatisfaction of its own artists with the EBU.

Fuck the EBU, the well-being of your own artist always comes first.

han-g

So why weren’t Israel penalised for their delegation harassing people left right and centre? THAT is what we are pissed off about
They weren't harassing the staff, just other delegates, which doesn't seem politicaly smart as those delegations are backed by powerful broadcasters who can control how Israel is seen in their countries.

Toposcoupe

C) Former press people pre-Eurovision who interviewed or observed Joost

D) People pre-ESC being interviewed about Joost and told a bit about his problematic behaviour (not shortly before the contest but a while ago)… people on twitter showed the articles, go search for it, I didn’t save them!!

Again, I just mention them because you asked. I can’t be 100% sure that everything that was written or said about Joost is true that’s why I said he‘s not guilty until proven otherwise!!

I could go on and talk about Bambie‘s past when she was drug addicted and doubt her credibility because she has serious mental health problems for quite a while. But you wild people obsessed with your hate for Israel would use everything as an excuse, lol.

Don't you find it shameful how you use someone's past mental health against artists and just draw false conclusions (C, D)? What kind of prehistoric thinking is that about someone who has had mental problems or addictions?

Joost Klein is a particularly open-hearted artist who tries to break taboos and shame about mental health, he even refers to it in Europapa. Many journalists (see his chemistry with Wiwi-William) and artists (see the many support he receives from fellow artists, even subtle support during the Eurovision finale from the Greek and Estonian artists, for example).

Here is what Dons, in my opinion one of the most selfless and sympathetic participants this year, has to say about Joost (3:06).

han-g

Well, I already wrote it multiple times, but just for you I bring it up again.

A) German press people in the press room, they said it on their livestream. They said other delegation allegedly witnessed rude Joost behaviour too.

B) German HoD who said in an interview they didn’t feel they were treated badly as a delegation and that it was a bit blow out of proportion, the whole „delegations were harassed“ thing

C) Former press people pre-Eurovision who interviewed or observed Joost

D) People pre-ESC being interviewed about Joost and told a bit about his problematic behaviour (not shortly before the contest but a while ago)… people on twitter showed the articles, go search for it, I didn’t save them!!

Again, I just mention them because you asked. I can’t be 100% sure that everything that was written or said about Joost is true that’s why I said he‘s not guilty until proven otherwise!!

I could go on and talk about Bambie‘s past when she was drug addicted and doubt her credibility because she has serious mental health problems for quite a while. But you wild people obsessed with your hate for Israel would use everything as an excuse, lol.

The same goes for the Israeli delegation. Not guilty until proven otherwise. It’s the crazy Joost stans that spread hate against them.
I want article links to newspapers or video clips of journalists and eurofan press, not a comment with no source please and thank you, I do apologise for not finding you a reliable source.

Top Bottom