10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

EscGeek

Veteran
Marco Mengoni MIGHT CHANGE his entry!
He was interviewed at the press conference after his victory at Sanremo and he said that he "would like to go into his record studio and think of new songs" Oo

Some people who were present booed at him for even thinking of changing his Eurovision entry :D
He used the same tactic to promote his album in 2013:lol:

njdevils94

Veteran

Mainshow

Veteran
Are you late to the party? :lol:

Indeed. I didn´t notice your post a few pages back (:it:´s thread exploded after Sanremo).

Let´s just take my post to "provide sources" then... I was shocked ... coming back home finding out he really thinks of changing his beautiful entry Oo

Mainshow

Veteran
Could be..:unsure: I somehow trust him so i'm not panicking...yet

There are these rare occasions when he thinks that singing something in English and "soul"-y would be awesome (like at Sanremo´s cover night or including English covers on his tours). I just hope that his entry will remain in Italian and if he changes the song, it´s as beautiful as this one... an up-tempo song might be "more contemporary" and "more winning material" (depending on the quality of song but he has proven a lot to be able to create bops with hit potential) ... dunno, but I started to love "Due Vite" and even though I can´t see it win Eurovision, I hope he won´t be changing his entry!

Sammy

Veteran
A song change would only make sense if he would take an up-beat-song. That would also make a difference to his first ESC-entry, but otherwise I don't see a necessity not to stick to Due vite.

nudiecrudi

Marco has some songs that I think could actually win Eurovision, like Voglio and Cambia un uomo. Due vite is not it, but I still don't think he will change the song in the end.

You're right.
Beautiful songs.
But here starts the dilemma " a song suitable for ESC? ".
I think that the concept "taylored or suitable for ESC" should not be considered at all because at that point Italy would loose its identity.
Do we need a song to please, probably, to the majority of esc viewers or a song that has been considered the best by different level of national judgments?
If Marco had a better song why he didn't bring it at Sanremo?
Remember that the worst placing we have had with a Sanremo winner is a 7th place.
Now I know that every year is on its own, but I can't see Due Vite being out of top 10 because has all the ingredients for pleasing to different types of esc viewers and juries. He sings divinely and has a strong presence, the song is an evergreen Italian ballad, which usually people love.

mauve

Veteran
Even though I don't like "Due Vite" too much, I think this should be his ESC entry as people voted for it. And I have to say that I doubt that he would really change it. But then I don't understand why he said "he MIGHT change" it instead of answering clearly he "won't". I will wait and drink tea cause this all might be much ado about nothing. ;)

Deleted member 12761

Sanremo isn't really a NF so I think it's okay if he wants to change the song. Due Vite is fine tho. No reason to change it imo.

Ajeje Brazorf

You're right.
Beautiful songs.
But here starts the dilemma " a song suitable for ESC? ".
I think that the concept "taylored or suitable for ESC" should not be considered at all because at that point Italy would loose its identity.
Do we need a song to please, probably, to the majority of esc viewers or a song that has been considered the best by different level of national judgments?
If Marco had a better song why he didn't bring it at Sanremo?
Remember that the worst placing we have had with a Sanremo winner is a 7th place.
Now I know that every year is on its own, but I can't see Due Vite being out of top 10 because has all the ingredients for pleasing to different types of esc viewers and juries. He sings divinely and has a strong presence, the song is an evergreen Italian ballad, which usually people love.

Maybe this isn't about having a better song, but having a more suitable song for ESC viewers, like "Due vite" is more suitable for Sanremo. Sanremo isn't a National Final, so "Due vite", like all other songs, are submitted to win Sanremo only. If a singer thinks it could be better to submit another song to ESC, he can change it. In the '80s all our ESC entries didn't won Sanremo even if we often were represented by actual winners. For example: "Gente di Mare" selected by Raf and Tozzi: they won Sanremo (with Gianni Morandi, Ruggeri and Tozzi singing a song written with Raf) with "Si può dare di piú", but they decided to change the song. Or Oxa-Leali in 1989: they won Sanremo with "Ti lascerò" but in Eurovision they sang "Avrei Voluto"... There are a lot of examples: Ruggeri in 1993 won Sanremo with Mistero, but sang "Sole d'Europa" in Eurovision (and I don't know why, because I love "Mistero" so much! One of my favourite Sanremo winners of all time! It could have been an Eurovision classic, expecially in a time when Eurovision had an orchestra). It's not that unusual for Italy...

Last edited:

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
From memory, the main reason winning Sanremo songs have changed for Eurovision is down to the songwriters not wanting it at Eurovision. Perhaps that's why? Due Vite is a beautiful song and one of my favourite Italian entries ever (Maneskin & Francesca Michielin reign supreme for me though) - so I'd hope a new song would be equal or better in quality!

nudiecrudi

During the pre 2011 era very few Sanremo winners went to esc with the winning song.mainly early 50ies and 60ies. Singers were mostly invited to go to esc even without winning Sanremo, Mia Martini has never won but she went twice. At that period ESC was considered differently, partecipating was only a problem not an opportunity. For this reason almost all the singers proposed unknown songs to the most, only few of them have become hits, Gente di mare, others not. Even Insieme is almost unknown.
Turning to the main point, I know that Due vite has been proposed as a sanremese song but that's a plus because winning Sanremo isn't easy at all. It means this song has high quality, as the other songs that won in the past. I repeat it again the results show it.
The concept "bringing something different" is a bit questionable. Looking back to the past three years, in the top 10 only few songs were different , the others were good songs we have heard many. times. 2019 Italy and Iceland, 2021 Italy and Ukraine, 2022 Serbia and Norway.
It's not easy to have a qualitative " different song" every year. In its own Brividi was different.you cannot compare it as a genre to Essenziale, Fai Rumore or Due vite which are pure Italian ballads.

Mainshow

Veteran
Due Vite could have been the Italian song in any year since the ESC started, but all the people who complain about generic, dated pop songs from other countries get all excited by it, I am mystified.

There´s a huge difference, in my opinion:

:it: sends authentic material - it might still be a bit "generic" (based on Italy´s music scene´s standards) whereas a few other countries desperately try to create "generic pop songs" tailored for Eurovision to suite a "made-up" target audience. Those songs can´t really survive outside the bubble (and often even fail at Eurovision).

"Due Vite" is not a progressive entry, not really original either but I fail to see the comparison to other recent Italian entries - that song might have been submitted in 2023, 2013 or 1993 but it still adds diversity to the contest and sounds very different to :it: recent attempts.

Marco Mengoni MIGHT CHANGE his entry!
He was interviewed at the press conference after his victory at Sanremo and he said that he "would like to go into his record studio and think of new songs" Oo

Some people who were present booed at him for even thinking of changing his Eurovision entry :D

Mengoni realized that it would be much smarter to write a brand new song for Eurovision than trying to cut 45 [forty-five] seconds of a ballad bland anyway?

A breakthrough idea! 🤣

I can't believe that you're even questioning this.

Mainshow

Veteran
It´s not a "bland ballad" but a "beautiful ballad" (in my opinion).

He can cut 12 seconds of the "outro" sequence as well as a part of the first verse (=0:20-0:35) without really destroying the core melody and built-up of the song.

That will bring the length of the song to 03:19 - pretty sure he can cut 8-9 more seconds somehow and polish the transitions (I don´t speak Italian, though - and don´t know if cutting the second half of the calmer part of the first verse would harm the core message of the lyrics, though).

Looking at previous compilation releases (the last 6 years), we had a few "longer" tracks in the past, e.g.

3:10 [2020: :al: ]
3:08 [2018: :al: :rs: / 2019: :it: :rs: ]
3:07 [2017: :fi: :rs: / 2021: :bg: / 2020: mt: :pl: / 2019: :al: :ge: ]
3:06 [2017: :mk: :sm: / 2020: :be: :cz: :lv: / 2019 :ee: :az: :no: :ro: ]

Apparently, the EBU "allows" studio versions to be 3:10 minutes in length - it´s not like Marco´s team has to cut 45 [forty-five] seconds..it´s more like 36 [thirty-six] and I think it´s not impossible to do so (still a challenging but they can give it a try)

Fun fact:
:it: 2013 Mengoni´s "L´essenziale" is officially 03:11 in length (Spotify Eurovision 2013 compilation album)

So maybe he just has to cut 35 ceconds [thirty-five]? :D

Last edited:

sucof

I inform you that various consumer associations have reported Blanco and Rosa chemical to the Imperia prosecutor (the province where Sanremo is located) hahahaha
The first for damaging a public structure, the second for obscene acts in a public place.
Fedez has been continuously denounced by these associations for many years. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nudiecrudi

I've heard an ESC version 3 min long and I didn't notice the difference at all. Less intro and less first part, the second part wasn't touched.
It sounds more powerful and less slow

Top Bottom