6 2.8%

4 1.8%

6 2.8%

83 38.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
This is a VERY strong entry from Israel, and I believe any dissent might stem from bias.
"Hurricane" would have fit seamlessly onto Demi Lovato's 2011 "Unbroken" album, and I'm absolutely ALL FOR IT!
I'm confidently throwing my hat in the ring with a prediction: an easy Top 5 finish in the Final for Israel this year.

Uhm, for me personally fitting seamlessly onto Demi Lovato's album is the opposite of a compliment.

Chorizo

I changed my vote in the poll to 0 points because all this song stands for is the political bullshit Israel has deliberately brought to the contest.

They were fully aware that participating would cause massive problems, but they didn’t care. They only cared about presenting themselves as the victims and collecting pity points and political votes by repeating the Russian stunt from 2015. They will get the same boos as Russia did in 2015 as well and it is fully deserved and only their own fault.

Sammy

Veteran
Nice to see that people who want to exclude Israel to keep the contest free from politics live to their own standards, vote exclusively upon the song and leave politics completely aside. :mrgreen:

Uto

Veteran
Nice to see that people who want to exclude Israel to keep the contest free from politics live to their own standards, vote exclusively upon the song and leave politics completely aside. :mrgreen:
If this reacts to Chorizo there is no hypocrisy there though. He explains how this decision is effectively forced as Israel is consistently making it political, which we can imagine gets increasingly more difficult to ignore and clearly the breaking point is reached.

crashworld

Veteran
They're literally harassing other delegations, bruh

If they are "harrassing" other delegations, then the delegations should file a complaint so EBU can launch an investigation and whoever are involved can be disciplined, just like what they did with Joost.

Sometimes what you see in the short video clips are just what the people want to show. We don't know the full story.

crashworld

Veteran

I really have to give it to Eden. The way she conducted herself just shows how poorly some of these contestants behaved.
People say the rehearsals are tiring, so some entrants resorted in showing atrocious behaviour or ill mannerism.
But EVERY ENTRANT put in the same amount of time in the rehearsals, don't see the same behaviour coming from most entrants.

And specifically for Eden, hostilities thrown to her when she performed/press conference and who knows what she has to face off stage. The tenacity and resilience, most of us would not be able to do it. She is going to move on to greater things in life if she keep this mentality up.

Mainshow

Veteran
The amount of anti-Jewish and antisemtic remarks are frightening and truly disgusting.
Here and on social media.

It's perfectly fine to protest and discuss Israel's participation but honestly? That ship has sailed. They're taking part, they qualified and it has been known since March that they would be part of it.

What I personally dislike and what fills my heart with fear: fans jumping on each and tiny rumour, piece of information and blaming Israel.

Joost got suspended? - "I fully support him" (posted in here, liked by others - same on social media) - "without Eden/Israel it wouldn't have happened".
Apparently, the police is involved. He might have hit a Swedish camera woman - no Jew involved - but still, people claim that it's because of Israel's "money" and keep on telling us that Moroccan Oil is an Israeli company. Jews "ruling the world because of money" is a hateful, disgraceful and absolutely disgusting stereotype which should have been debunked decades ago and here we are: young Eurovision fans across the continent mouthing the same shit without knowing any details.

It's crazy that internalised hatred for Israel and Jewish made people support Joost despite us knowing what truly happened.

Oh and when it got "known" that he might have hit someone - fans claimed it must be because of Israel as well. One of the Israel's delegation made fun of his dead parents. Suddenly, some fans support violence commenting that "Joost should have hit harder" and again, demanding the EBU to disqualify Eden.

What am I trying to say:

Israel are in Malmö - you may dislike it (fair enough) - but they're taking part.
Personally, I think it's disgusting to see how fans blame Israel for everything what doesn't happen as planned in Malmö.

Jupiter

If they are "harrassing" other delegations, then the delegations should file a complaint so EBU can launch an investigation and whoever are involved can be disciplined, just like what they did with Joost.

Sometimes what you see in the short video clips are just what the people want to show. We don't know the full story.

Well, the spanish delegation did from what we heard.

crashworld

Veteran
The amount of anti-Jewish and antisemtic remarks are frightening and truly disgusting.

What am I trying to say:

Israel are in Malmö - you may dislike it (fair enough) - but they're taking part.
Personally, I think it's disgusting to see how fans blame Israel for everything what doesn't happen as planned in Malmö.

There have been nothing short of smear campaigns. EVERY SINGLE TIME when something happened in the contest, it is somehow Israel's fault. It has come to a point that I am not be surprised these nutters will blame Israel's and the Jews for their own failures or short-comings in their own lives. Like maybe stop being so obsessed for once?

crashworld

Veteran
Well, the spanish delegation did from what we heard.

Then good! Let EBU investigate and then we see what is the conclusion.

Most of you all want to give Joost the benefit of doubt for his incident, but I don't see the kind of grace you all extended to Israel delegation for all these alleged "harassment".

Verjamem

@Mainshow, well. Israel's participation was discussed through the whole NF season. I even remember your post "whatever Israel will send, it will be considered political" and what a surprise, they have sent a blatant, political song.

I don't like their entry, to me it's just uninspired, generic one (just like Germany, Poland, Latvia). Someone might like it, but do we really need them in? Pretending everything is fine won't solve the problem. Blame is also on broadcasters, who weren't as vocal in case of Russia.

Mainshow

Veteran
@Mainshow, well. Israel's participation was discussed through the whole NF season. I even remember your post "whatever Israel will send, it will be considered political" and what a surprise, they have sent a blatant, political song.

I don't like their entry, to me it's just uninspired, generic one (just like Germany, Poland, Latvia). Someone might like it, but do we really need them in? Pretending everything is fine won't solve the problem. Blame is also on broadcasters, who weren't as vocal in case of Russia.

Of course, Israel's participation is highly controversial - I can totally understand why it's been that way.

The song: is it? Apart from the Hebrew part of the song, it's super bland. I mean, the lyrics wouldn't be considered to be political at all if the song had been submitted by any other country.
Is it whitewashing? - maybe. Is it some sort of propaganda? - yes but it doesn't come across as a surprise to think that Israel/KAN want to make their voices heard. Is white the colour of innocence? - yes.

I agree with you - we shouldn't pretend that everything is fine. It's something the EBU needs to debate on and discuss, for sure.
But everything what's going on in Malmö (Joost's suspension, even the claims that the Israeli delegation provokes other delegations) doesn't justify any anti-Israel or antisemtic remarks and honestly, I'm shocked at how easily some fans and even forum users fall into the "it's because of Jewish money" or it's "Eden's presence" territory.

The question is if broadcasters needed to be as vocal as in the case of Russia - Österdahl explained it very well that there are differences between Russia/Belarus and Israel/Azerbaijan.
Maybe EBU needs to adjust their rules (fair enough) but it still doesn't justify the amount of blatant scapegoating.

Verjamem

I agree with you - we shouldn't pretend that everything is fine. It's something the EBU needs to debate on and discuss, for sure.
But everything what's going on in Malmö (Joost's suspension, even the claims that the Israeli delegation provokes other delegations) doesn't justify any anti-Israel or antisemtic remarks and honestly, I'm shocked at how easily some fans and even forum users fall into the "it's because of Jewish money" or it's "Eden's presence" territory.
You are right, we know too little to assume. Some people write about videos of "Israeli delegation/journalists/someone else doing something to someone", but still we don't have these proves here or on Facebook.

EBU's statement about "contest of broadcasters, not governments" has certain logic, so other countries should have penetrated deeper.

I think Million Voices or 1944 wouldn't be considered political if another country would have sent it too, that's the key there. Israel had to be very careful with "getting crap past the radar", unfortunately EBU fell for it.

PolarFoxxie.

Manifesting 400 points for Israel in televote and 350 points from jurry. That will do it. xpray
Good morning to Israel and all Israeli supporters. I wish you all the best day possible. And when I mean best day possible I mean Israeli win at Eurovision.. reading haters comments on Sunday, I will need a lot of popcorn. :)

Jupiter

It's perfectly fine to protest and discuss Israel's participation but honestly? That ship has sailed. They're taking part, they qualified and it has been known since March that they would be part of it.

What I personally dislike and what fills my heart with fear: fans jumping on each and tiny rumour, piece of information and blaming Israel.

Joost got suspended? - "I fully support him" (posted in here, liked by others - same on social media) - "without Eden/Israel it wouldn't have happened".
Apparently, the police is involved. He might have hit a Swedish camera woman - no Jew involved - but still, people claim that it's because of Israel's "money" and keep on telling us that Moroccan Oil is an Israeli company. Jews "ruling the world because of money" is a hateful, disgraceful and absolutely disgusting stereotype which should have been debunked decades ago and here we are: young Eurovision fans across the continent mouthing the same shit without knowing any details.

It's crazy that internalised hatred for Israel and Jewish made people support Joost despite us knowing what truly happened.

Oh and when it got "known" that he might have hit someone - fans claimed it must be because of Israel as well. One of the Israel's delegation made fun of his dead parents. Suddenly, some fans support violence commenting that "Joost should have hit harder" and again, demanding the EBU to disqualify Eden.

What am I trying to say:

For the most part, I agree. I'm against Israels participation, not because I think they're the same case as Russia, but bcs including a country active in a controversal war was sure to drag politics into Eurovision that the contest wouldn't be able to handle. And here we are.

But there's been a radicalization that is far beyond reason. Somehow, on platforms like Twitter Joost is now some form of martyr who stood up for humanity & everything good in the world - even though we now nothing, and in truth he might have been aggressive towards a swedish woman (or several). I hate that with all my being. I admit it was easy to assume before that Joosts case was related to Israel. We have 2 Videos of Israels delegation being provocative, and Joost being rude towards Eden in the PK. So, yeah. But we now have Info and by all accounts, it's unrelated - people just not even accepting facts anymore is just scary.

If the Netherlands are allowed to compete (which, depending on what actually went on might be fair or not), televote might be even more of a shitshow than it will be anyway. Because we'll get votes for Joost "out of sympathy", "out of spite" or "bcs he was so anti Israel". If Joost isn't allowed to compete, it'll lead to more protests and booing. This years contest feels very clearly screwed, and I'm very sorry for everyone invovled ("Rim Tim Tagi Dim" really feels representative, bcs "my anxiety attacks" indeed).

Mainshow

Veteran
You are right, we know too little to assume. Some people write about videos of "Israeli delegation/journalists/someone else doing something to someone", but still we don't have these proves here or on Facebook.

EBU's statement about "contest of broadcasters, not governments" has certain logic, so other countries should have penetrated deeper.

I think Million Voices or 1944 wouldn't be considered political if another country would have sent it too, that's the key there. Israel had to be very careful with "getting crap past the radar", unfortunately EBU fell for it.

I agree with you.

I just have to step in to "defend" "1944". The song's lyrics don't refer to Russia or Russia's annexation of Crimea and therefore, the song is perfectly fine for Eurovision.
Of couse, the historical reference fit the current situation and the song clearly promotes that / have a political message behind it but honestly, most songs tell stories and share a message.

The Dutch entry this year is highly political (singing about uniting Europe, promoting open borders - Joost even sings that he doesn't need a passport and he values it. Now look at who won in the last Dutch election - a right-wing politician who doesn't want open borders within Europe anymore).
:fr: 2015 sang about another historical event (The Great War) - of course, there's a political message behind hit (peace is better than war).

+ we got several songs promoting peace, LGTBQ+ rights and representation (in theory, all of them are highly political, too).

If we get rid off all songs like that, we will be left with songs without meanings - probably just songs about love, dancing and sex.

I fully support EBU's stance on this issue: openly political songs targeting recent events shouldn't be allowed (and therefore, Belarus got suspended, Georgia 2009 wasn't allowed) - but songs telling a story/having a message shouldn't be.

Verjamem

We have 2 Videos of Israels delegation being provocative
Can you link it?

@Mainshow, Israel just changed the title from "October Rain" to "Hurricane". Very similar case as Armenia 2015, when they switched from "Don't Deny" to "Face the Shadow" and everything was fine, even though they kept original title in the lyrics :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom