12 5.2%

53 23.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

empo21

Veteran
Kind of late, but what the hell was the International jury doing by giving Next in Line 12 points!? This can't be the same international jury that gave Brooke 12pts

Fluke

Okay so.... the obvious things first, that's a lot to take in, and pretty unexpected considering what Ireland's sent before...

There's not much in Eurovision to compare this too. A bit of "Telemoveis" (the sheer weirdness and odd structure), "Love Injected" (the weird sparse synth backing), and "Russian Woman" (mostly theatrical talking), but none of them were this screamy or vocally weird.

I see a lot to like in this musically. Maybe it's a bit too "talky", i'm surprised how well the "story-telling parts" work, but they take up so much of the song. The "normally sung parts" really aren't bad, but they're only a small part of the song, and the way they're inserted (where you would expect a loud climactic part instead) seems really weird at the first listen, possibly off-putting to many viewers.

The final climactic part is also too short, in my opinion. The one thing that could be done would be to shorten the "I, I, " parts and extend the finale instead.

Also, it's a bit similar to Czechia this year, but that one is pretty much counted out by most. We don't know yet if they're gonna be in the same semi, but i hope that kind of screaming isn't going to be a trend this year, this deserves better than to be forgotten because of that.

Otherwise, it's clear this is getting a lot of enthusiasm, but that didn't help "Telemoveis" which NQed to much disappointment, but i have a feeling this being in English and with a clearer message is going to help it.

At first i was doubtful, but final feels REALLY likely now. Maybe even a top 5 placement. Either way, it's getting people talking about Ireland's entry for the first time since Jedward and that's a good thing for them, in the future if not now.

Really not sure where i would place this in my personal ranking yet, but i'm definitely going to be excited to see what they do with it!

Neely

It's Ireland's best chance of qualification for many a year but we'll need to see the rest of the competition before considering even left hand side of the scoreboard. I'm another inclined to think that different doesn't necessarily mean better or better chance of success but it's a success already in as much as RTE have had a clear signal from the local jury and televoters that they'll happily take something move innovative when they bother to include it in their selection.

Nicfedy

The boy band got joint second place with a generic dated, probably last again in the semis, if selected. Its refreshing that Ireland have gone for something original and avant garde. In doing so it does it makes the contest more interesting and eclectic.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I can't believe Ireland have gone for such a swing for the fences like this. It feels very out of line with the Irish Eurovision presence, and I'm really glad they're doing something to wake themselves--and Europe--up. This is a creative, interesting, risky entry.

There's just one little--or big--problem, which is that I don't really enjoy listening to it at all. I found myself kind of tired of it once it was over and had the thought that this must be what many of my favorite entries sound like to people who don't like them. I'll give it a 6 for the respect I have for it but just can't bring myself to go higher.

Mainshow

Veteran
downgrading to :2: - I watched the performance today again. I really can't listen to the song at all but I love the vibe of her performance - I wouldn't mind low-key rooting for her in May but I don't need to listen to the song again until the official CD gets released.

Malagant

FSC Administrator
Staff member
It is clear in my opinion that Ireland have given up on melody in ESC and just try to send something which stands out in the hope that it gets attention and manages to creep into the final.

But goodness gracious me, what a load of yeah. How the mighty have fallen, the former ESC superpower which gave us such great ESC-songs like "Rock 'n' Roll Kids", "Mysterious Woman", and "The Voice". Dear me. 1 point (and that's just for daring to be different).

Ajeje Brazorf

Well, this was my second favorite, so I'm actually not upset by Ireland choice for once. They should have taken a risk, they took that risk, and I totally agree with them: some of the songs in the line up were totally uncompetitive, another one was really great but the live kinda doomed (I would have opted for something more focused on the song itself) it's chances, so It was the obvious choice from them. Now, time to work, because It can be executed better. Right now It Is a :6:, mid table entry.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
Ailsha's staging didn't come across well. I love her attitude and recognise she did her best, but the school theme of the staging looked amateurish...it was all a bit leprechauny or 'stage Irish' (Irish folk will know what I mean)
As a Brit, the staging gave me some weird Daz Sampson "Teenage Life" PTSD xstars

SpiritofKeiino

I had the same thought.

I think she went too squeaky with the voice in places too, it didn't come across all that well.
The colour scheme and graphics were all over the place too, Celtic symbols abound.... i can see why it didn't top the public vote (although 3rd out of 6 ain't bad). The casual viewer tuning in for the first time likely wouldn't have been impressed. Bambie the opposite, I thought it was an upgrade from the studio version and the staging worked.

SpiritofKeiino

I'm not surprised that Erica came 4th out of 6 in the televote. She doesn't really have a strong fanbase in Ireland tbh, she's one of these people who seems to be showcased on RTE a lot with little to show for it. And the song wasn't anything special

John1

The structure of this entry reminds me of Icebreaker (:no: 2016), which had these very low-rhythm verses building into a very powerful-sounding chorus. Here, it's the other way around and it kinda works.

If Ireland manages to get its things together and make an impactful staging out of this entry, a qualification isn't quite out of sight.

Top Bottom