10 4.4%

12 5.2%

53 23.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

hpp0

It's definitely not something I would listen to if it wasn't an ESC entry, but it is a song that will probably at least standout, even if it doesn't qualify. I can't judge the live performance we have rn too much, but I believe that there is tons of potential to turn this into a really good and memorable performance for ESC.

I guess I will give it a :3: cause despite having some decent parts, it really isn't for me.

mauve

Veteran
Okay. Listened to the song again. Yesterday I was very tired, additionally my screen was buffering. And I had no peanut butter at home. All in all the performance was better than I expected. Her voice was a little thin, but she can manage it until May. So I will upgrade it from :8: to :10:. Well done! Don't know how she will do then, but it will stand out for sure! ❤️

Sammy

Veteran
My first :0: this season and it goes directly to my all-time-hate list.
I‘d rather have something bland one can listen to than an atrocity that makes your ears bleed.

Aside from that: what did she mean by „representing an underrepresented group“? what group should that be?

Last edited:

Datura

People need to stop being harsh on vocals here. They had to perform in a 60 year old talk show studio with terrible acoustics and mic technology that wouldn't be used by any other broadcaster in Western eurooe. RTE cheaped out again as they are financial a mess (its a big scandal in ireland), but Bambie could do very, very well on a large stage with professional mixed backing vocals, good acoustics, a modern sound system and lots of mood setting visuals.

I totally agree on this. It's really hard to compare the live version to the other countries we've heard so far because especially the Sound quality / mixing (the vocals are far too loud and upfront and the music is very quiet) is AWFUL! everything sounds bad with this mix. So i'm sure it will sound a lot richer in Malmö.
Still don't find this particularly catchy but i'm still sure it was the best Option in ireland.

Paco Roca

:12: points because at the moment I follow my logic of not severe voting (my lowest vote is 6 to Albania).

:12: points because I see potential which, if well expressed on stage, could not only lead to qualification but also enter the Top Ten. Those who shout that they will do badly in Malmö are mostly non-objective people who secretly enjoy themselves (concealing it with motivational phrases and false hopes in the pre season) to see Ireland humiliated every year.

:12: points for courage. Ireland has chosen to leave aside the honeyed songs or Coca Cola commercials for a powerful sound. The only decent song from these years, aside from "Doomsday Blue", was "That's Rich".

:12: points to compensate for some UK fans who playfully attack Ireland. With a stronger Ireland there is no longer a nation that makes us sure we won't finish last.

:12: points to compensate some German fans who feel hurt by a Rock who, despite having an extraordinary tradition, are unable to bring to ESC. I can't read people who loved "Blood & Glitter" and hate "Doomsday Blue" 😂

:12: points because I like "Doomsday Blue".

Weaknesses? There are. I'm not the type of fan who tears their clothes off as soon as I listen a song and is emotionally destroyed by an overwhelming passion. It's the typical way of doing things for those who love intensely until someone or something more beautiful passes by 😂 Love is a feeling that must be internalized, studied, grown together and cultivated. Only in this way is it forever and genuine. However... "Doomsday Blue" has to work a lot on the staging (the performance at Eurosong 2024 was at the limits of amateur) and is clearly not to everyone's taste. Those who love ballads will not vote for Ireland, nor will many of the older generation. It's a beautiful song but also with a rawer, non-mainstream sound. Måneskin cannot be compared, not for quality because all ESC participants are good, but for melody. Italy, according to its tradition, has mixed a more melodic sense into the hard sound that has conquered the masses. "Doomsday Blue" could suffer from the "Rock Invasion" and explosion of jokey songs (its worst enemy, if it wins, Cyan Kicks).

I end by saying that I imagined Bambie Thug winning. If you scroll through my past posts you'll notice that I called "Doomsday Blue" a more complete song than "Go Tobann". Alisha would not only have to work on staging but also on perfecting the song. "Go Tobann" in my opinion would have been the riskiest choice but also the one that, if he had been able to negotiate it, could have made Ireland win.

I'm happy to have a song like "Doomsday Blue" in the contest and I'm happy that Irish fans can finally enjoy and experience the competition with emotion xkiss

DirtyFalcon

If the song was just full noise or in the spirit of the very first seconds of the song, it would be a much more coherent song in my opinion. Here the overall song is just so disjointed. The calmer part doesn't fit at all with the scream parts and it creates a feeling of a poorly structured song. It's just so uneasy for the ears. The staging is good and the originality, coming from Ireland, is a good point but that's all. I've also seen comparisons somewhere else with Serbia's entry last year but in my opinion Luke Black's entry last year was much more accessible. I've also seen other comparisons but it was the same.

empo21

Veteran
Congratulations, Ireland, for not only choosing a risky entry, but also having both risky entries in the top 2. International jury can choke. Personally, I would've preferred Go Tobann, but it's a good choice anyway.

It's a mystery how Europe will feel about the shift in the chorus and i think it will struggle.

:4:

Sammy

Veteran
She's non-binary.
I also believe she referred to the way she dresses as well.
I REALLY need a proper update on non-binary. Everytime I think I understood it there‘s a new one identifying as such and I‘m again totally confused because it‘s again something completely different. :ROFLMAO:

(And please don‘t start with „identifying neither male or fenale“, I‘m not an idiot :mrgreen:)

marty

I appreciate the effort and it will definetly stand out in Malmö. But I just dont like listening to it. I give 1 point.

theditz83

Veteran
I understand the agenda but I’m just extremely unconvinced that this was the best choice. There needs to be more of a balance between the unconventional and the accessible to be competitive and I just think some people are too eager to embrace the former for the sake of diversity. Even in a televote-only semi, I don’t think being polarising is necessarily a plus for Ireland this year when you consider we already have a more palatable and coherent song in Veronika in a small selection of songs, and with the ongoing trend indicating more entries deviating from the Eurovision norm.
This is exactly my concerns. I'm in no way comparing the two here, as they're very different clearly, but Cha Cha Cha last year combined some darkness and alternative elements with a more commercial song structure and more recognisable hook. That's what helped it to cut through with everyone.

Doomsday Blue is structurally a little too messy to be as widely accepted in my eyes and the lack of that instant earworm hook to lodge in your brain and hook you back for more is a concern. It will certainly be a spectacle, and I firmly believe Bambie Thug will very skillfully perform the house down when it comes to the Malmö stage, but for me, winning Eurovision songs that go way to far out of the box without straddling the line between theatrics and commercial appeal somewhat may struggle to take the crown.

A qualification is highly likely though, so if that was the key aim for AwwrrTE this year, good work.

It's an absolutely dreadful musical composition I will not play or listen to ever again (gave me a migraine early Saturday 😆), and it's not even original for us who have wider historical knowledge of music (M. Manson met Billie Eilish, we've heard this when she was a baby).

However, as it is very conceptual, artistic and different, and it also brings new styles to Eurovision, it is absolutely what Eurovision needs a year after the juries had hacked the competition from the people to present the win to the most predictable, uninspiring and boring entry that Tattoo was.

Therefore, for the variety it gives to the competition, I gave this a 12 in the poll and I'll vote for this at least once. 🤣

Ireland, you have finally shown some true colors. This will be first time in years that we we won't press skip when we see Ireland 2024 coming in the medley. Good luck

MAD20

Ladies and gentleman, we have a Eurosong virgin!
I must say I've followed the ones from previous years and the stage was also crap. But this year, someone said the stage would be in a different set, so I had (slightly) better expectations :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom