6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Paco Roca

I would like France to bring such powerful sounds (because France has a good tradition in disco music), which use traditional sounds (without necessarily trying daring experiments in full Breton) and which take full advantage of their beautiful language (virtue of the Romance languages and which have greater vocality). There's no way I can't make songs like that even today! An Italian who has no French soul at all succeeded more than 10 years ago! I think they would destroy any competition with a song like that. 800 point victory, walk under the Arc de Triomphe and Paris 2026.

DirtyFalcon

I would like France to bring such powerful sounds (because France has a good tradition in disco music), which use traditional sounds (without necessarily trying daring experiments in full Breton) and which take full advantage of their beautiful language (virtue of the Romance languages and which have greater vocality). There's no way I can't make songs like that even today! An Italian who has no French soul at all succeeded more than 10 years ago! I think they would destroy any competition with a song like that. 800 point victory, walk under the Arc de Triomphe and Paris 2026.

It won't happen, like 90% of chances, until our current HoD Alexandra Redde Amiel is in charge of choosing our representative(s) for the adult contest. The problem is that she has a very "conservative" approach of the adult contest. What i mean by "conservative" is : She believes that in order to win, we must absolutely send songs with french "clichés" , or very stereotypical french songs only. In 2022, she added some diversity to the NF but from what i know for absolute certainty is that her favourite was Marius, who had a typical french ballad full of clichés and she wanted him to win.

In the end, we still choosed Fulenn and our poor result very probably reinforced her idea and her vision of what should be sent to the competition. I want as a proof the fact that we choosed Evidemment the year after and we played the full "cliché" card with La Zarra. So unless she decides to go for a NF again with some diversity, she won't select internally alone some rap singers, or even music like rnb, rock, dj songs, alternative or other music genres that doesn't instantly match with the image of France and french music in the collective unconscious of Europeans. She believes that european people only expect those kind of cliché songs from us and she said that during several interviews and press conferences in recent years.

It's a shame because personally I like her. She is passionate about the competition and she invests herself but she is mostly amazing at JESC and her vision of the adult competition limits us in our possibilities. But i would love it if she proves us wrong and takes a risk next year. I think many people only ask for that. Sending clichés songs could work (it worked for Barbara) but using the same card every year is boring and not it's not an optimal approach for the adult Eurovision. In the opposite side, we've got an absolute perfect formula for JESC and if she could choose our representative for the juniors forever if she wants.

Last edited:

0scar

I recently relistened to this one after several weeks of not playing it and I like it more than I did the first time, and actually found myself being brought to, well, something you could consider emotional tears.

It might has to do with going through a period of tough lovesickness though lol unfortunately

Paco Roca

Given the current panorama of NF and the official songs, "Mon Amour" increasingly takes on the color of a dark horse. France should hope for the defeat of st. Pedro.

Neely

st. Pedro might indeed be his only competition as the vibes around San Remo suggest we'll be getting something different than usual this year.

France certainly seems more of a strong contender now than it did when first released with nothing to compare it to and we'd have all felt rash in rating its chances.

DirtyFalcon

st. Pedro might indeed be his only competition as the vibes around San Remo suggest we'll be getting something different than usual this year.

France certainly seems more of a strong contender now than it did when first released with nothing to compare it to and we'd have all felt rash in rating its chances.
And Krick ? Dons ? Ryk ? Sara Siipola ? Teya Dora ? They all have ballads and if they all win they will be direct competition for Slimane too.

Paco Roca

And Krick ? Dons ? Ryk ? Sara Siipola ? Teya Dora ? They all have ballads and if they all win they will be direct competition for Slimane too.
Sara Siipola I don't see it as a conventional ballad and then it will have to deal with Cyan Kicks. Victory is not a given. Apart from st.Pedro, Slimane has the most impactful ballad. Until now I don't see any other opponents. Unless clever Italy decides to focus again on ballads to avoid entering the vortex of jokey and Rock songs.

ZoboCamel

In the same way as Albania is being very Albania, France continues to be very France. I adore the vocals, and I'm a fan of these sorts of dramatic power ballads - this being no exception - but the song feels like it's holding back somehow, despite the overwrought emotions. Sort of like it's too focused on being classy and jury-friendly to really have a big wham of a climax; too focused on production and mass appeal to give the sort of raw emotion that for makes the best ballads.

I do still like it, but... it's a restrained sort of like, similar to the song's own approach. :7: for now.

DirtyFalcon

this is so bad its making me laugh. french people cant music. time for them to give it up. holy shit this is bad.

If you only summarize the French music scene to what we send to Eurovision, it's proof that you know nothing about it, really absolutely nothing. We are clearly far from being the best at Eurovision but I have to defend my country here. We have a lot of excellent artists here in France, including a very interesting indie music scene (for those who really make the effort to find out) but it's just that we select poorly and remain stuck in clichés .

Besides that, your comment is so rude and if you're unable to give an opinion without being insultive and disrespectful, then it just shows a terrible lack of education. You can dislike it and it's your right but to the point of insulting the population of a whole country please ...

Last edited:

mup

If you only summarize the French music scene to what we send to Eurovision, it's proof that you know nothing about it, really absolutely nothing. We are clearly far from being the best at Eurovision but I have to defend my country here. We have a lot of excellent artists here in France, including a very interesting indie music scene (for those who really make the effort to find out) but it's just that we select poorly and remain stuck in clichés .

Besides that, your comment is so rude and if you're unable to give an opinion without being insultive and disrespectful, then it just shows a terrible lack of education. You can dislike it and it's your right but to the point of insulting the population of a whole country please ...
I agree with this post wholeheartedly.

Indeed, a diverse country like France must have a lot to offer and sometimes I'm disappointed that the delegation is stuck in certain type of entries, so forgive me if I ask: do you have any idea why is it?

Ted Talks

It’s sung well but much like Estonia last year I don’t feel anything from this ballad. It feels very cold and clinical to me.

I can’t take anything away from his vocal ability - much like Alika last year - but I don’t connect with it all. I felt similarly about Italy’s ballad last year but grew to like it and ‘feel it’ more come the grand final. I really do appreciate that song now on relistens.

Maybe this’ll happen here? Whatever happens with me, unless he has a stinker of a performance, the jury are going to eat this up.

DirtyFalcon

I agree with this post wholeheartedly.

Indeed, a diverse country like France must have a lot to offer and sometimes I'm disappointed that the delegation is stuck in certain type of entries, so forgive me if I ask: do you have any idea why is it?

Thank you ! Totally ! As i said earlier this year on this topic, our french head of delegation believes that people outside France only want and expect french cliché songs from us and that any other kind of entry would give us less chances to win. She tried one time to take a risk with another NF in 2022 and with Alvan & Ahez but the result didn't go our way so it certainly reinforced her in this belief. What i'm saying here is not something I invented by myself. Alexandra Redde said that publicly several times already on interviews for the press witin the recent years, including on the La Zarra announcement press conference last year. She's a lot on the "chic, love, french clichés" or retro songs. Those type of songs could be amazing but more diversity would certainly open us more doors and possibilities.

I personnally only ask to be proven wrong and that one year, she decides to pick by herself (not decided by the public) something different like for example an electro-pop, Rap, or even a rock entry. My dream would be artists like Suzane, Lomepal, Eugénie or a new rising star here like Zaho de Sagazan.

mup

Thank you ! Totally ! As i said earlier this year on this topic, our french head of delegation believes that people outside France only want and expect french cliché songs from us and that any other kind of entry would give us less chances to win. She tried one time to take a risk with another NF in 2022 and with Alvan & Ahez but the result didn't go our way so it certainly reinforced her in this belief. What i'm saying here is not something I invented by myself. Alexandra Redde said that publicly several times already on interviews for the press witin the recent years, including on the La Zarra announcement press conference last year. She's a lot on the "chic, love, french clichés" or retro songs. Those type of songs could be amazing but more diversity would certainly open us more doors and possibilities.

I personnally only ask to be proven wrong and that one year, she decides to pick by herself (not decided by the public) something different like for example an electro-pop, Rap, or even a rock entry. My dream would be artists like Suzane, Lomepal, Eugénie or a new rising star here like Zaho de Sagazan.
Merci beaucoup for answering! I'll try to listen to some songs of the artists you mentioned because I don't know much of the current French music scene, I might find something I like.

ESC could be a tool to give continental exposure to each country's established artists and France should take advantage of it. Maybe the risk of getting a bad result - and a career blunder - in ESC keeps away the established names in France, while in my country the Sanremo Festival and the minor popularity of Eurovision both act as a "safety net" like with Emma when she flopped in 2014.

I googled your HoD name and I remember now seeing her face very disappointed in the televoting sequence in 2023, that result could have prompted her to try another approach if both folkloric Fulenn and classic French-style Évidemment failed. I recall writing another post here months ago about this year's French choice, as the HoD probably wanted to play safe and capitalize jury points with a professional, reliable and talented singer doing a traditional ballad. But it gives a one-dimensional image of a music scene. Well, Italy too has a reputation for sticking with ballads...:LOL: Expect comments like: Slimane is a French Mengoni who invented ballads in 2013. :ROFLMAO:

rasmuslights

Veteran
I'd also really like some french rap or PLEASE french indie music. France is full of good music, honestly.

Or an indie band as well.

Like what France has been sending is good but they do need a change.

Top Bottom