6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

DirtyFalcon

That's exactly what I dislike about Eurovision in recent years: Weak ballads achieving success just because the singer is good.

They acheived success and rightfully ! If you never reward a great vocal performance during a song contest, then it's quite a problem. Eurovision has become too song-centric, putting the vocal performance and interpretation more often in the background. Fortunately, there is still room to be rewarded for what is the center of a song: the voice.

It's also good for the credibility of the competition to still have very good singers with competent vocals rather than the opposite.7
You will probably answer me : "yes but it's a song contest, not The Voice" and i answer you, yes but having a great voice helps and is a full part of the show.

Last edited:

Teaisloveable

This has gone somewhat viral on tiktok etc

Of course its not, but it gives such Eurovision vibes that I can't explain lol. I could have seen it doing extremely well in the competition in a parallel universe.
Its been on repeat for weeks!

jatojo

They acheived success and rightfully ! If you never reward a great vocal performance during a song contest, then it's quite a problem. Eurovision has become too song-centric, putting the vocal performance and interpretation more often in the background. Fortunately, there is still room to be rewarded for what is the center of a song: the voice.

It's also good for the credibility of the competition to still have very good singers with competent vocals rather than the opposite.7
You will probably answer me : "yes but it's a song contest, not The Voice" and i answer you, yes but having a great voice helps and is a full part of the show.

I don't like the concept of a country finding an opera singer and consequently being certain of getting lots of points from the Eurovision juries because of a strong vocal performance.

DirtyFalcon

For people interested, Slimane will perform "Mon Amour" live tonight for the first at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris during France 2 new year TV show, so maybe in a few minutes. Here is a link to watch it if you're interested :

French JESC 2023 winner Zoé Clauzure will also perform during the night !

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Oh god the delegation will be SO insufferable, i can sense it now already.

He's great live, but the song is still not it. That shows how french mainstream music is. He's a big star, but his music is so so so mid. That's the best word to resume french mainstream music : mid. Bad lyrics, bad music, ugly production.

mauve

Veteran
He is a great singer and he will receive tons of points from the Juries, but I think the audience won't like it much. The song is middle of the road unfortunately.

DirtyFalcon

Oh god the delegation will be SO insufferable, i can sense it now already.

He's great live, but the song is still not it. That shows how french mainstream music is. He's a big star, but his music is so so so mid. That's the best word to resume french mainstream music : mid. Bad lyrics, bad music, ugly production.
I clearly don't think so, especially after the huge news shitstorm of 2023 with La Zarra they had to endure, before and after Eurovision. I don't believe they want to live this absolute nightmare another year in a row especially with a confirmed singer who has a huge fanbase. Whether you like his music or not, choosing him after such a disastrous year was a smart choice. You're going to Eurovision with one of the most popular and successful singers of France in recent years so this will help the delegation retain viewers who would otherwise have left after last year "industrial accident" + you're going with a very competent vocalist that will most likely ensure you a great result thanks to jury points. And in the end people will only remember the final result, so even if it flops at the televote, it will be fine in the end.

He is a great singer and he will receive tons of points from the Juries, but I think the audience won't like it much. The song is middle of the road unfortunately.
Well the delegation has decided to go for a jury bait kind of entry this year to ensure at least a decent result with the hope to go even further so any decent to good televote result would only be a bonus for us (or at least for myself) and from the reactions i've seen after this live performance, i could see some people voting for this because they will be impressed by the voice.

mauve

Veteran
Well the delegation has decided to go for a jury bait kind of entry this year to ensure at least a decent result with the hope to go even further so any decent to good televote result would only be a bonus for us (or at least for myself) and from the reactions i've seen after this live performance, i could see some people voting for this because they will be impressed by the voice.
For me basically an ESC-song shouldn't be only based on a grande voice. but also on a memorable, but unique song structure - and in my ears "Mon amour" is neither memorable nor unique. I think that in may there will be more outstanding songs. But that all doesn't mean that Slimane won't do well, there will be worse songs definitely (Germany for example :whistle:).

ESC94

For me basically an ESC-song shouldn't be only based on a grande voice. but also on a memorable, but unique song structure - and in my ears "Mon amour" is neither memorable nor unique. I think that in may there will be more outstanding songs. But that all doesn't mean that Slimane won't do well, there will be worse songs definitely (Germany for example :whistle:).

Even in threads about other countries we need to spread our misery. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with you about "Mon amour" though, not a bad song at all but I can´t see this doing that well.

ESC94

You won't believe it, but I even posted somethin POSITIVE about LOTL in the German thread! :eek::eek::eek: SOMETHING POSITIVE? IN THE GERMAN THREAD??? OMG --- is that the new era 2024??? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, but something positive about our contestants from 2023, when it comes to this year there´s absolutely no reason to be positive. :ROFLMAO:

We really behave like the stererotypical Germans, just complaining. xrollinglol

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phenomenal performance in front of the Arc de Triomphe! I got goosebumps, it's all so quintessentially French, which I adore.

I don't think we can say yet whether this will be a jury vote winner or not as we only have three songs, but it's certainly going to be a contender

Lance Esgard

If only France decided to highlight the Arc de Triomphe instead of the Eiffel Tower for one year when announcing their points.
Just for a change. Heck, announce it from on top of the Eiffel Tower. At least then the view would be refreshingly different.

So far my opinion has not substantially moved. I am drawn in by the voice but pushed away by the compositional choices. At present I am somewhat more pushed away than I was on a first listen, as I am not as wowed by the voice due to greater familiarity.

Paco Roca

For me my opinion on "Mon Amour" remains unchanged: great voice but little musical substance. Personally I don't see great revamp possibilities. I read many users talking about Slimane as a "famous singer who will be able to capture votes". Perhaps the jury will be able to pay attention but Slimane is not known to everyone outside of France. From what angle can we think about a friendly public vote based on career? However, a thought has been bothering me lately. What if "Mon Amour" was just the main course to promote the singer and gauge the response of the European public? France could show up as a surprise with a new song. Which would make sense. Promoting a weak song like "Mon Amour" ahead of time makes one question whether the French delegation is intelligent. I believe or at least hope that the French delegation knows what to do and will shoot its surprise arrow.

MS.

For me my opinion on "Mon Amour" remains unchanged: great voice but little musical substance. Personally I don't see great revamp possibilities. I read many users talking about Slimane as a "famous singer who will be able to capture votes". Perhaps the jury will be able to pay attention but Slimane is not known to everyone outside of France. From what angle can we think about a friendly public vote based on career? However, a thought has been bothering me lately. What if "Mon Amour" was just the main course to promote the singer and gauge the response of the European public? France could show up as a surprise with a new song. Which would make sense. Promoting a weak song like "Mon Amour" ahead of time makes one question whether the French delegation is intelligent. I believe or at least hope that the French delegation knows what to do and will shoot its surprise arrow.
Slimane is one of the most important french singers right now so you can be certain that the french delegation won't change the song. And it was his choice to start promoting the song early on.
Most french viewers are loving the song i would say and it was important for the delegation to send a big french artist who likes eurovision and who supports it especially after what happenned with La Zarra last year.

Top Bottom