6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

jatojo

Do we live in a parallel universe ? I personnally didn't see a lot of people here say it's a Top Eurovision song but more like the song is fine, not amazing but will do well in the contest thanks to the juries. A Top Eurovision song is the kind of song you know already it's gonna be in the Top 5 without any staging, by the way it's received by the community.

And "Mon Amour" received mixed reactions, in majority positive i would say but it's not clear at this point.

In the poll of this thread, more than 72 percent of all votes have been a six or better. And as Marcos C and others mention, the support for the song has been massive on YouTube. It puzzles me. While his voice is strong, the melody is feeble.

It makes me think of Sheldon Riley 2022. The song was a zero, but with exaggerated pathos and - admittedly - good vocals, the entry became a success. That year convinced me that the influence of juries should be reduced (or the criteria they use be changed) to prevent lame ballads from receiving high scores solely because of the vocal performance.

DirtyFalcon

In the poll of this thread, more than 72 percent of all votes have been a six or better. And as Marcos C and others mention, the support for the song has been massive on YouTube. It puzzles me. While his voice is strong, the melody is feeble.

It makes me think of Sheldon Riley 2022. The song was a zero, but with exaggerated pathos and - admittedly - good vocals, the entry became a success. That year convinced me that the influence of juries should be reduced (or the criteria they use be changed) to prevent lame ballads from receiving high scores solely because of the vocal performance.

Compare the votes of Mon Amour with songs that really get massive support from people and you will see the difference. The votes here are correct/good but not amazing.

Except for french people (which is normal because Slimane is one of the biggest and most popular singers here) expressing their love for Slimane on youtube and some foreign eurovision youtubers reacting to the song positively, i didn't see any massive support for the song. Just look at the last comments here or on other foreign forums like escforum.net, or even fan pages on facebook if you have access to some of them and you will easily see that the song didn't get any massive support. Of course you will see people like the song but it's not clearly massive.

And Marcos C was talking about the Top 1 ESC videos on youtube. Those videos are always published every single year just for fun but it actually doesn't mean gets massive support. That would mean every single entry, even the worst ever received massive support. Bulgaria in 2022 for example was the first released song with Top 1 videos but it didn't get massive support from the community. You are new on the eurovision community i guess to not know that already i guess.

Last edited:

Marcos C

And as Marcos C and others mention, the support for the song has been massive on YouTube.

And Marcos C was talking about the Top 1 ESC videos on youtube. Those videos are always published every single year just for fun but it actually doesn't mean gets massive support.
I suspect that many of them were publishing the ESC Top 1 videos to get attention, whether they like the song or not.

jatojo

Compare the votes of Mon Amour with songs that really get massive support from people and you will see the difference. The votes here are correct/good but not amazing.

Except for french people (which is normal because Slimane is one of the biggest and most popular singers here) expressing their love for Slimane on youtube and some foreign eurovision youtubers reacting to the song positively, i didn't see any massive support for the song. Just look at the last comments here or on other foreign forums like escforum.net, or even fan pages on facebook if you have access to some of them and you will easily see that the song didn't get any massive support. Of course you will see people like the song but it's not clearly massive.

And Marcos C was talking about the Top 1 ESC videos on youtube. Those videos are always published every single year just for fun but it actually doesn't mean gets massive support. That would mean every single entry, even the worst ever received massive support. Bulgaria in 2022 for example was the first released song with Top 1 videos but it didn't get massive support from the community. You are new on the eurovision community i guess to not know that already i guess.

I respect your analysis. (y)

In terms of YouTube, I based my impression on (among other things) the Eurovision influencers I usually go to - they were all very positive about the song.

Paco Roca

Anyone who says that the song is suitable for a European public and has little French flavor is not telling the truth. The song is a French song with a traditional flavor and feeling adapted to the modern market. Slimane, who I personally didn't know, demonstrated how a successful singer approaching Eurovision increases the quality of the competition. A successful singer can even sing a nursery rhyme and knows how to make it shine. I wasn't enthusiastic about "Mon Amour" and I find the composition very banal but Slimane's voice with his nuances managed to involve me in his flow. This is the first listen. I don't think he can deliver more in the long term (unless 2024 is another joke entries year). The comparison with "Tout L'Univers", "Voilà" or "Due Vite" doesn't hold up. What can I say right now? The song can reach a low position in the Top 10 (position 6⁰/10⁰) while my quality rating is 7.

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
Dropping :6: -> :5: it's a forgettable entry that I don't see staying afloat during the pre-season.

They'll start meddling and revamping it around February ✍️

jatojo

Anyone who says that the song is suitable for a European public and has little French flavor is not telling the truth. The song is a French song with a traditional flavor and feeling adapted to the modern market. Slimane, who I personally didn't know, demonstrated how a successful singer approaching Eurovision increases the quality of the competition. A successful singer can even sing a nursery rhyme and knows how to make it shine.

That's exactly what I dislike about Eurovision in recent years: Weak ballads achieving success just because the singer is good.

nudiecrudi

That's exactly what I dislike about Eurovision in recent years: Weak ballads achieving success just because the singer is good.
You could say it about any genre.
I also dislike ESC when cheap pop songs win just because the singer is good Loreen, or handsome, Mans, meanwhile the public voted for someone else.
But hey ESC is the house of everyone.

jatojo

You could say it about any genre.
I also dislike ESC when cheap pop songs win just because the singer is good Loreen, or handsome, Mans, meanwhile the public voted for someone else.
But hey ESC is the house of everyone.

It's a *song contest*, so "cheap pop songs" can do well if they are good. It's not a *singing contest*, so good singing should not be enough for a song to be successful. That's what's wrong with the juries very often: They rate the songs as if it's a singing contest.

nudiecrudi

It's a *song contest*, so "cheap pop songs" can do well if they are good. It's not a *singing contest*, so good singing should not be enough for a song to be successful. That's what's wrong with the juries very often: They rate the songs as if it's a singing contest.
A song without the singing is nothing
A film without the acting is nothing
It is a human being that with its singing brings the song to life and makes it a piece of art.

jatojo

A song without the singing is nothing
A film without the acting is nothing
It is a human being that with its singing brings the song to life and makes it a piece of art.

A good song with bad vocals is still a good song.
A bad song with good vocals is still a bad song.

mup

Quite a surprise from France to release their entry so early! I think the juries will like it, Slimane will elevate the song in the live performance.

Asking to French members: do you think that the 2023 disappointment drove the French delegation to such a move? I am referring to La Zarra's attitude (I remember some headlines I briefly saw: "compliquée à gérer" , "doigt d'honneur" ...) and her voice problems affecting her live performance, so I was wondering if they decided in favour of a safe song, but performed by a professional singer with reliable vocal skills that can ensure a good amount of jury points for a better placement.

jatojo

A bad song, Tattoo, with good vocals won ESC
No - Loreen's song was very popular both with the juries and the televoters. The songs I'm talking about are forgettable ballads that only made a narrow impact within a limited part of the fanbase, but were saved by the juries.

nudiecrudi

No - Loreen's song was very popular both with the juries and the televoters. The songs I'm talking about are forgettable ballads that only made a narrow impact within a limited part of the fanbase, but were saved by the juries.
Why don't you tell us which ones instead speaking in general?

Paco Roca

It seemed to me that in the latest editions, with the advent of joke songs and songs with more decisive rhythms, the few ballads present have achieved good results. If a ballad got less it's because another ballad was stronger. The margin of comparison widens if we observe that in 2021 two ballads reached the podium just a few points behind Måneskin and in 2020 Diodato could have blown up the table. Probably Slimane's song, which could undergo improvements, is not epic but the singer's voice is valid. Many times it's not even the sound or the words that count but the singer's voice and interpretation. Loreen was overrated in my opinion. From the start and even in the final with the screen showing the ESC titles of Sweden and Ireland, the competition was dope. I didn't even understand all the OGAE en plein and other prizes won (only Mengoni managed to snatch one from his hands). It was like witnessing the miracle of Moses who separated the waters. Loreen in the form of a new age messiah, a saint of our times. Tattoo was a song made of screams, sometimes out of tune, without a soul and among other things close to plagiarism from other songs. The prop, the giant griddle for cooking sausages, also influenced the running order (so much so that only Loreen's performance was made up, if I remember correctly, of two commercial cuts). Honestly, compared to Tattoo, Mon Amour has more soul. Then it's personal taste. Who am I to criticize other people's backyard?

jatojo

Why don't you tell us which ones instead speaking in general?

I already mentioned Australia 2022. Switzerland 2022 is another one of those flat slow songs with weak melodies. Italy 2022 was actually a real pain too, but at least they tried. There is probably a dozen more from this century.

Top Bottom