6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

nudiecrudi

I don't think anyone has any doubt about his voice.
The problem here is the song. Is old fashioned, predictable, very French esc friendly. Even the title. Everything screem written for ESC.
I don't know how his selling figures are but I have the sensation that for a big artist as Slimane, after 3 months, 10 million of streamings are nothing.
I don't know how the jury will score this.
About the televote, well we're going to have very loud loud songs, he too sings loudly.
A possible winner? Personally I hope not. Top 5 possible

Underdark

I was playing with Midjourny and got an idea to make some images using lyrics from this years songs. In the prompt I also used the countries name. The second image of the series is for France (first one was for Albania):

France.png

ESC94

A very strong performance by Slimane, see this more and more as a dark horse even though I´m still not 100 % sold on the song itself.

John1

I don't think anyone has any doubt about his voice.
The problem here is the song. Is old fashioned, predictable, very French esc friendly. Even the title. Everything screem written for ESC.
I don't know how his selling figures are but I have the sensation that for a big artist as Slimane, after 3 months, 10 million of streamings are nothing.
I don't know how the jury will score this.
About the televote, well we're going to have very loud loud songs, he too sings loudly.
A possible winner? Personally I hope not. Top 5 possible
The delusion here hit some of y'all

empo21

Veteran
The last few pages are giving me 2023 flashbacks:
  • "strong vocals"
  • "unique song will stand out"
  • "dark horse"
  • odds rising
Same conversations happened last year with La Zarra and we saw how it went. France is always overhyped in the bubble

DirtyFalcon

• "strong vocals"
  • "dark horse"
  • odds rising
Same conversations happened last year with La Zarra and we saw how it went. France is always overhyped in the bubble
Last year with La Zarra, but almost every year since 2017 included.
2023 => , 9th/11th in the odds during the NF season, odds went crazy during rehearsals and we went 3rd in the odds => 16th in the end, a flop.
2022 => 12/13th in the betting odds the whole season => 24th/25 in the final, a flop.
2021 => The only exception.
2020 => Well, around 30th place in the odds because the song was terrible but i'm fully convinced people would have find a way to push us Top 15/20 so we can flop even bigger in the final, if the contest was not cancelled
2019 => 12/13th in the betting odds the whole NF, overhyped again during the rehearsals and went to 3rd place in the odds => 16th in the final, a flop.
2018 => Started 12/13th in the betting odds after the french NF, slowly rised to 8th before the rehearsals started thanks to the preparties, went to 2nd place in the odds during the rehearsals => 13th in the final, a flop, again.
2017 => I have less souvenirs about this year in the odds, but i know that year, many people believed we were in contention for Top 5 and we ended 12th, a flop once again.

But clearly from all those years, last year was the most difficult one to digest, at least for me personnally because I gave in to the hype.. I would love Slimane to change this curse but i'm not sure. The first signs of this usual scenario are already starting to appear with this live performance. Maybe he's a bit stronger in the juries than the previous french representatives so he might end 13th. I know some countries can have some worse results than us but at least odds are honest with them.

Jupiter

I liked La Zarra last year (Evidemment is way better to me than Mon Amour), but her vocals were simply not enough IMO. Somehow I reeeeeaaaaally don't see Slimane having that issue. And there were clearly bigger Jury candidates with Sweden & Estonia at least. I can't think of anyone like that this year? For now, anyway.

Granted, there is all the chance that France messes up the staging - would not be a first either and could hurt this entry a lot too.

strangersarecomin

• "strong vocals"
  • "dark horse"
  • odds rising
Sadly La Zarra played into negative French stereotypes. Cold, aloof and rather arrogant. Slimane is the opposite. A really warm, likeable and humble man. Despite his huge talent.
For me he's similar in that sense to the two performers who didn't under perform expectations. Barbara and Amir. Amir maybe did slightly but 6th was an excellent result, given his vocals weren't great. Barbara a very close second in an extremely strong year.

The other 'failures' have all either, not been good enough, or lacked the warmth of Barbara, Amir and Slimane.

I see him as top 5 and potentially a winner if things fall his way

Fluke

That live performance was too hoarse, screamy. Don't think he's gonna sound like that in the ESC, or it won't do very well. The "a cappella" part sounds weird too, and makes the ending of the song feel anticlimactic.

I think this is kind of a waste, Slimane could have been perfect with a better song, but this is just lackluster. But then, if the written-in-a-minute-by-a-guitar-strummer-who-only-knows-a-few-chords "Voila" could get second place, this can get top 5 too.

Wynnter

The first minute is beautiful. The second chorus is where this loses me a little bit. It manages to bring itself back up at the end, but even then the song just holds back too much and is repetitive. Doesn't awake anything within me, even though it had the potential to do so. Unfortunate.

:5: points

goncalovieira

In my opinion, he still has a very good chance.
There is no other competitive ballad for the first place.

MAD20

For some reason I can't get to click with this song. I think it's too much of the classic French clichey song, which has lately been the trend except for 2022 when it was a complete (and undeserved) flop...

Top Bottom