6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Neely

Slimane had its first Pre-Party tonight, right?? How was his performance??
I'd say as solid as his previous performances. Too much of a pro to do otherwise but I'm biased as France and Slimane have remained my favourite for this year ever since last November.

If you skip back about 40 mins you can catch him here: https://beteve.cat/cultura/barcelona-eurovision-party-2024-directe/

He nicely adapts his acapella moment to Spanish for the home crowd.

ESC94

Paco Roca

I still think that in a "joke year" like this Slimane could stand out. However, overlooking the not excellent physical form (he is very heavy), Barcelona's performance was terrible. Cracked voice and low emotional energy reigned. Ballads without these two elements are like a body without a beating heart and without blood to pump. In fact, a spectacular staging is not needed, the lights must be directed towards the theatricality and vocal ability of the singer. If Slimane doesn't recover the helm he could collapse in the final.

"Paco but yesterday the audio wasn't at its best..." someone could tell me. And in response I would ask a question "Why, even with the audio not at its best, were Teya Dora, Angelina Mango and Dons vocally flawless?".

However, I think that participation in the ESC is wearing Slimane down mentally. He is an experienced singer but so far he seems unable to handle the stress of the competition.

ESC94

I still think that in a "joke year" like this Slimane could stand out. However, overlooking the not excellent physical form (he is very heavy), Barcelona's performance was terrible. Cracked voice and low emotional energy reigned. Ballads without these two elements are like a body without a beating heart and without blood to pump. In fact, a spectacular staging is not needed, the lights must be directed towards the theatricality and vocal ability of the singer. If Slimane doesn't recover the helm he could collapse in the final.

"Paco but yesterday the audio wasn't at its best..." someone could tell me. And in response I would ask a question "Why, even with the audio not at its best, were Teya Dora, Angelina Mango and Dons vocally flawless?".

However, I think that participation in the ESC is wearing Slimane down mentally. He is an experienced singer but so far he seems unable to handle the stress of the competition.

And I think you should really take care with such presumptuous remote diagnoses. Assuming someone has mental problems is absolutely not cool!! :mad:

Paco Roca

And I think you should really take care with such presumptuous remote diagnoses. Assuming someone has mental problems is absolutely not cool!! :mad:
You misunderstood my words. I just said that Slimane is suffering from stress. He faced an adventure that he thought would be a walk in the park but he realized that the competition is very tough.

ESC94

You misunderstood my words. I just said that Slimane is suffering from stress. He faced an adventure that he thought would be a walk in the park but he realized that the competition is very tough.

Did you talk to him?? These are all just your assumptions that he´s "suffering".

Adi025

Without surprise our delegation doesn't want to send something different since the flop of "Fulenn" so we had a typical french ballad.

Slimane is a big artist so I'm optimistic about the live performance. I imagine that juries will love him and put France in the top 15 overall even with a potential bottom 5 by the televote.

I hope that the delegation will understand one day that France can be competitive without to send something cliché. Remember "J'ai cherché" this was a pop song and we was 6th or "Allez Ola Olé" with 151 points by the televote.

ESC94

Without surprise our delegation doesn't want to send something different since the flop of "Fulenn" so we had a typical french ballad.

Slimane is a big artist so I'm optimistic about the live performance. I imagine that juries will love him and put France in the top 15 overall even with a potential bottom 5 by the televote.

I hope that the delegation will understand one day that France can be competitive without to send something cliché. Remember "J'ai cherché" this was a pop song and we was 6th or "Allez Ola Olé" with 151 points by the televote.

Televote won´t have him as high as the juries, but I don´t see Slimane getting this few points, especially in a year with few real ballads.

DirtyFalcon

I totally believe he thinks the complete opposite. We haven't won since 1977 so it's a challenge for him !
His ranking in the betting odds is pretty realistic of the result he might get. We won't win because Italy, Switzerland, Croatia and Ukraine seems untouchable in the Top 4 for me but lower Top 10, similar to Alika last year, with a very slight chance of sneak into the Top 5 seems realistic. He has more arguments than La Zarra last year to please the juries.

I don't agree when people say he's gonna be bottom 5 with the televote. He might not do exceptionnally well in the televote but he's a very compelling live performer and he can transmit something on stage. So you will find a good amount of people who hates "Mon Amour" but also people who will love this kind of ballad to the point of where they will mass vote for him ! I think a Top 5 with the juries and midtable result in the televote seems quite realistic.

However i'm just disgusted he's starting to get the same treatment Mengoni had last year. Because people listened to the song too much and are bored with the accapella part, they feel the obligation to insult or mock him on platforms like X because he tried the accapella again. I want to say : No one force you to listen to his song again. They must understand that 98% of the viewers will discover the live performance and accapella part for the first time during the grand final so they won't be bored and they will most likely have the surprise effect !

Paco Roca

Did you talk to him?? These are all just your assumptions that he´s "suffering".
Trying to remain as objective as possible, a simple visual observation was enough for me.

Seeing his performance he seemed weighed down, tired, his voice was cracked, zero theatricality (as if he didn't feel the song inside himself). It could be a temporary drop in form or a bit of stress.

I didn't say that it's an irrecoverable case or that what I say is an absolute truth.

If we want to evaluate the elements only if they are strictly in contact with reality or the person in question then forums make no sense, don't you think? As long as you're not offensive what's the problem with speculating?

I apologize if my comment struck a personal chord with you. I may think I accidentally made this mistake if you reacted like this. I don't think there can be such a reaction to defend an artist and a favorite song.

Personally, I will comment better in the various threads, the best in Barcelona were Teya Dora, Angelina Mango and Dons. Gåte and Silvester Belt follow. Borderline is the Estonian group that has maintained a certain linearity (I didn't see any major differences between the studio product and the live performance). The rest more or less suffered from the audio system not being up to par. If you don't have a powerful and expert voice, if you're not in shape, if you don't have backing singers, staging or audio that covers up or defects, you're looking at a dull performance.

ESC94

Trying to remain as objective as possible, a simple visual observation was enough for me.

Seeing his performance he seemed weighed down, tired, his voice was cracked, zero theatricality (as if he didn't feel the song inside himself). It could be a temporary drop in form or a bit of stress.

I didn't say that it's an irrecoverable case or that what I say is an absolute truth.

If we want to evaluate the elements only if they are strictly in contact with reality or the person in question then forums make no sense, don't you think? As long as you're not offensive what's the problem with speculating?

I apologize if my comment struck a personal chord with you. I may think I accidentally made this mistake if you reacted like this. I don't think there can be such a reaction to defend an artist and a favorite song.

Personally, I will comment better in the various threads, the best in Barcelona were Teya Dora, Angelina Mango and Dons. Gåte and Silvester Belt follow. Borderline is the Estonian group that has maintained a certain linearity (I didn't see any major differences between the studio product and the live performance). The rest more or less suffered from the audio system not being up to par. If you don't have a powerful and expert voice, if you're not in shape, if you don't have backing singers, staging or audio that covers up or defects, you're looking at a dull performance.

Look, Slimane isn´t my favourite this year even though I quite like his song. I wouldn´t have said anything if you simply said "his performance wasn´t good imo", that´s your subjective opinion. I simply have problems with someone doing these diagnosis about "suffering" or so, we both don´t know him and how he feels inside. Tha´s just my opinion though. xshrug

Paco Roca

I totally believe he thinks the complete opposite. We haven't won since 1977 so it's a challenge for him !
His ranking in the betting odds is pretty realistic of the result he might get. We won't win because Italy, Switzerland, Croatia and Ukraine seems untouchable in the Top 4 for me but lower Top 10, similar to Alika last year, with a very slight chance of sneak into the Top 5 seems realistic. He has more arguments than La Zarra last year to please the juries.

I don't agree when people say he's gonna be bottom 5 with the televote. He might not do exceptionnally well in the televote but he's a very compelling live performer and he can transmit something on stage. So you will find a good amount of people who hates "Mon Amour" but also people who will love this kind of ballad to the point of where they will mass vote for him ! I think a Top 5 with the juries and midtable result in the televote seems quite realistic.

However i'm just disgusted he's starting to get the same treatment Mengoni had last year. Because people listened to the song too much and are bored with the accapella part, they feel the obligation to insult or mock him on platforms like X because he tried the accapella again. I want to say : No one force you to listen to his song again. They must understand that 98% of the viewers will discover the live performance and accapella part for the first time during the grand final so they won't be bored and they will most likely have the surprise effect !
Many users who have had the opportunity to read me could testify that I was the only one here in the forum who talked about a French victory. I've always expressed that in such a noisy year the simplicity of "Mon Amour" (while not a memorable product - it's quite basic and repetitive) could strike a chord with listeners. The messages I left in the various threads can also testify for me.

I believe Slimane is determined and wants to win. However, this determination and ambition can also generate a little stress. It's normal. Without any offense, I said that Slimane in Barcelona seemed a bit like a shadow of himself and his voice wasn't top. It's possible that he will gradually improve and arrive at the main event in great shape.

Sometimes I am so blunt and tend to analyze things coldly that I can come across as unpleasant or offensive. It was not my intention to denigrate anyone.

Paco Roca

Look, Slimane isn´t my favourite this year even though I quite like his song. I wouldn´t have said anything if you simply said "his performance wasn´t good imo", that´s your subjective opinion. I simply have problems with someone doing these diagnosis about "suffering" or so, we both don´t know him and how he feels inside. Tha´s just my opinion though. xshrug
Yes, I understand your point of view. It's just that, by nature I'm like Sherlock Holmes 😄, I like to understand the reason for certain gestures and situations.

My consideration was based on the great surprise of seeing Slimane not shine vocally as he should have. For example, Dons gave an excellent performance (maybe his song is not pure gold but vocally he is a great singer). He pained me and so I thought, looking carefully at the images, that Slimane was not at his best.

For me everything is ok. It's nice to clarify. We always remain friends :gimmefive:

ESC94

Yes, I understand your point of view. It's just that, by nature I'm like Sherlock Holmes 😄, I like to understand the reason for certain gestures and situations.

My consideration was based on the great surprise of seeing Slimane not shine vocally as he should have. For example, Dons gave an excellent performance (maybe his song is not pure gold but vocally he is a great singer). He pained me and so I thought, looking carefully at the images, that Slimane was not at his best.

For me everything is ok. It's nice to clarify. We always remain friends :gimmefive:

Well, I just watched a video of his performance and I didn´t find it as bad as you said, to be honest his "cracking" voice gave this an interesting touch, it sounded like he was really emotional.

But hey, tastes differ and I don´t have any problem with your. :)

mup

I can understand your situation because such platforms have sadly become a sewer of toxicity over the years. :cautious: Luckily, they represent a bubble compared to the general viewing audience.

Top Bottom