Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

The staging of "Soldi" was perfect. A suburban boy takes the stage to talk about his difficult past. We must leave room for his voice and his great vocality. Seeing the audience clap their hands together with Mahmood is worth much more than a thousand lights.

The beauty of opinions and even data lately is that I can either be distorted at will. For example, there are people who have also gone to study how the jury has voted for us over the years. In this last case they demonstrated what we always say: Italy was mainly penalized with Il Volo, Ermal Meta & Moro and Mahmood. The power of the jury (not always in line with the public's taste) can be much more decisive than you think (I don't have to repeat it as if you didn't already know).

Here there are people frightened to see every year warmth towards Italian songs and positive Odds ... there are those who, after the Lyrics Awards won by the Maneskin, exploded into moments of hysteria, shooting clown faces and accusing the Maneskins of proselytizing. . There are individuals who raise Lordi's Rock as an example of how Rock should be ...

Regarding Lordi, Blind Channel are on another level! Blind Channels don't need masks to win over audiences. However, many are wondering what the difference is between Italy and Finland. For me it is a comparison that makes no sense. The difference between Maneskin and BC is the same as between Maneskin and Gjon's Tears. Diametrically opposed genres. The only problem with BC, in my opinion, is that their music is strongly reminiscent of Linkin Park. Even if it is a good song, there is nothing innovative about it. However, this is not their "Achilles heel" but the fact that "Dark Side", on the tenth listen and without their great stage presence, begins to "blur".

The Maneskins, on the other hand, bring a protesting song to the ESC stage. Not a political but a protesting song, the cry of a people tired of false intentions and ignorance passed off as misunderstood genius. Read the motivations of the Lyrics Awards and you will understand everything. Music, on the other hand, is able to arouse a fresh emotion with every listening and Damiano ... is a stage animal, a real rocker (in the heart but not in self-destructive actions).

I know that my words are like a poison that slowly descends into the hearts of the haters causing turmoil and restlessness but they are calibrated words. Dear haters, you can also cover your eyes with good Parma ham but this is the reality.

I don't care who wins in fact, there are many strong songs this year: France, Switzerland and Malta + Ukraine and Finland can try to win. One step below is Iceland, Cyprus, Lithuania and San Marino.

I repeat, I always prefer to obtain excellent placings without investing further. This is what infuriates the haters: they don't understand why Italy never has a drop in performance. This has led to the legend that we are always stolen. However, our return, which for many was negative, was positive. From a preconstruction of the songs one is gradually returning to craftsmanship and rediscovering one's roots. If Italy succeeds, why don't you adopt its method? We are annoying and noisy, maybe it is true, but we are making you discover how beautiful you are inside. I want courage to ESC! Musical experimentation and use of the mother language!

I greet you by taking DenizESC in my arms and giving her a passionate kiss. She is a girl who needs love and ... I have so much to give! Haha.

harey

I'm wondering if juries from top 5 favourites by the bookies will give points to other favourites or if they will give them to *jury friendly songs * but who are far below in the odds. For example instead of Swiss, Italy, France, Malta, Ukraine voting for Portugal, Sweden, Bulgaria, Israel or Belgium, who are good songs but no direct threat for victory? If I'm a Maltese/French jury member and my country is so close to a win I will put big countries between 10-17 to not look suspicious but I think I won't give points to them.

I can see French jury giving 12 points to Belgium more than Switzerland for exemple.

Preuss

Loved Soldi, but Arcade was my fav song. The staging of Duncan was even more underwhelming. I was really happy he won anyway, could have won at least the jury vote with better staging though.

yeah I find 2019 quite funny in the sense that the Netherlands did things much more exciting given their choice of staging and Italy could've snatched the win if they invested a bit more time, thought and resources into their staging

popavapeur

So BASED on itunes, right here right now*, these are the best charting song** in each country,
the format : is Country => best charting country at what place.

Australia : Lithuania at 96th
Austria : Austria at 17th then Ukraine at 61th
Azerbaijan : Azerbaijan at 167th
Belgium : Belgium at 4th then Ukraine at 11th
Bulgaria : Bulgaria at 2nd
Cyprus : Cyprus at 98th
Czech Republic : Norway at 65th
Denmark : Denmark at 2nd then Lithuania at 40th
Estonia : Finland at 6th
Finland : Finland at 4th then Switzerland at 9th
France : France at 5th
Germany : Germany at 87th then Ukraine at 160th
Greece : Cyprus at 9th
Italy : Italy at 54th
Israel : Israel at 3rd
Latvia : Finland at 5th
Lithuania : Lithuania at 3rd then Russia at 7th
Malta : Malta at 19th
Norway : Norway at 3rd then Sweden at 21st
Poland : Switzerland at 18th
Portugal : Portugal at 6th
Slovenia : Azerbaijan at 131th
Spain : Cyprus at 39th
Sweden : Sweden at 4th then Finland at 27th
Switzerland : Switzerland at 1st then Finland at 28th
The Netherlands : France at 5th
Russia : Russia at 10th then Finland at 74th
Ukraine : Ukraine at 9th
United Kingdom : United Kingdom at 14th then Iceland at 59th

If we put them into "points" (not taking into account when the best country is the country itself), that would be :

Finland : 5
Ukraine : 3
Cyprus : 2
Lithuania : 2
Switzerland : 2
Azerbaijan : 1
France : 1
Iceland : 1
Russia : 1
Sweden : 1

And that funnily makes a top 10

* As you may know(or not) it's pretty easy to chart on Itunes and that ranking can change at any moment as it's a live ranking. It does matter when the song is charting for multiple days at a stable number
** A lot more countries are charting, it's just the best results by country and not the only one.

theditz83

Veteran
Hilarious!
Genuinely just watched this today, and the feels I got! It's only a lip-sync, but being so unbelievably invested in all of these artists for the past months has led me to getting extremely emotional watching this. Hands down, this has been my favourite year in quite some time - so many personalities, and I really can't wait until the show tonight! xlove

Elina UA

Genuinely just watched this today, and the feels I got! It's only a lip-sync, but being so unbelievably invested in all of these artists for the past months has led me to getting extremely emotional watching this. Hands down, this has been my favourite year in quite some time - so many personalities, and I really can't wait until the show tonight! xlove
Yes, they're all very likable. And this's exactly what we need now, after 2 years of waiting and that plague going on: a little bit of fun.
I'm so excited for tonight. It's gonna be a real reunion of people in Europe and across the world. xheartxhug

mauve

Veteran
For today evening I bought:

image.gif

to either drink out of joy or to drink my pain away. :ROFLMAO:

WhoKnows

The prerecorded backing vocals have to go! This is killing the contest! I said it before and acts like Poland or Moldowa this year proved my point. If the EBU does not react, we‘ll get a lip-sync orgy in the next years.

Agreed. I hate it even more than I thought I would.

But GOOOO Natalia Gordienko! ;)

crashworld

Veteran
I don't know why but I feel that Israel is the jury dark horse of the year.

I hope so though. But the staging hasn't helped Eden to be honest, she moves too much and has to sing while dancing, causing her to be quite shaky in her vocals. Sure, the whistle notes will help, but I don't know if that will be enough. The song itself is pretty accessible, so I can see some jury love there. A top 10 in the juries will do good for Eden even with a potentially low televote score.

Zeus

I don't know why but I feel that Israel is the jury dark horse of the year.
Yeah, like Sweden 2019.

Popsong with a solid production, nobody will deeply dislike it and most importantly strong vocals. I can see it as well.

Portugal will do great with the juries as well. Maybe not top 3, but 4/5th might be possible. Or at least come close to it.

FilipFromSweden

For the first time in a long time I think tonight we will see a winner which only got 1-10 more points than the runner-up

empo21

Veteran
In the end Arcade has become the most successful Eurovision song in the charts since Euphoria and has become even more relevant in 2021. Now that is forward thinking.

And with TikTok being such a strong factor in music (+ USAvision), I think it's only up from here for the next Eurovision winners. Arcade started trending on TikTok and found its way to the American market, which is the biggest music market right now.

Last edited:

musicfan

Why is there this epidemic of shouting out to the audience during songs this year? Even worse it's extending the usual presenter's fault of only addressing 'Europe', when contestants aren't just European and the audience for the show is worldwide.

Iker

Veteran
Yeah, like Sweden 2019.

Popsong with a solid production, nobody will deeply dislike it and most importantly strong vocals. I can see it as well.

Portugal will do great with the juries as well. Maybe not top 3, but 4/5th might be possible. Or at least come close to it.
Belgium has ingredients to do very well with the juries too.

Top Bottom