Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

crashworld

Veteran
I am alright with uptempos, but I just feel they didn't space out the high impact songs well enough. It's like one coming after another.
I feel the Lithuania to Azerbaijan block is really sensory overload. I mean despite France being a ballad, but she is very shouty/aggressive in her singing and the ending with the camera swinging here and there.

Loindici

Veteran
I agree here. But not because of the style of the songs (I predicted there would be less ballads this year because Corona is depressing enough and people want fun). It is because they put a lot of filler songs at the beginning and by the end, when all the favourites are due, half the audience is probably tired or bored.

I guess it's also due to the half draw? That's the only variable no one can control. It just so happens that 'lesser' songs are there in the first half.

Loindici

Veteran
I am alright with uptempos, but I just feel they didn't space out the high impact songs well enough. It's like one coming after another.
I feel the Lithuania to Azerbaijan block is really sensory overload. I mean despite France being a ballad, but she is very shouty/aggressive in her singing and the ending with the camera swinging here and there.

I feel they'd balance it by bringing breaks. We haven't had any information about where the breaks would be placed so that'd be nice to know.

crashworld

Veteran
I feel they'd balance it by bringing breaks. We haven't had any information about where the breaks would be placed so that'd be nice to know.

I feel they need to put more breaks/pauses than before. Because me as a viewer I don't think I can tolerate so many high impact songs within such a short period. I would imagine it can turn many people off.

FilipFromSweden

Putting Albania after Cyprus is kinda mean, the songs have a similar energy, the color scheme is nearly identical and the singers have outfits that look alike

A-lister

Veteran
A lot of 'yeah, that's a song' + 'Ok...If it was all of this, I would agree with people calling it a circus' and only a couple ( ~ 7, while usually at least the whole top 10 should be pretty great) of 'oh yeah that's good' with nothing particularly jumping out as WOAH WINNER, if anything Switzerland or France.

Not fully getting the answer :lol:

Do I understand you correctly that fun tracks = mediocre, conservative ballads = good?

Well, you're in for a treat with the juries then I think.

A-lister

Veteran

I hear you, but the problem is that the producers want to influence the outcome.

I can't at EBU keeping the system, no one likes it!

Gitte

Not fully getting the answer :lol:

Do I understand you correctly that fun tracks = mediocre, conservative ballads = good?

Well, you're in for a treat with the juries then I think.
No. Not at all.

The good include:

Malta
Iceland
Italy (I would have to see the full performance tho, the rehearsal snippet that is reused all the time is starting to bore me)
Finland (Borderline, it is a fader)
Switzerland
France
Bulgaria
Ukraine (still growing on me)

I also liked Austria and Denmark but RIP, and of the 'yeah that's a song' Cyprus and Albania are at the higher end. Of Azerbaijan I like the last 30 seconds. I like Spain's snippet to a certain degree.

A-lister

Veteran
No. Not at all.

The good include:

Malta
Iceland
Italy (I would have to see the full performance tho, the rehearsal snippet that is reused all the time is starting to bore me)
Finland (Borderline, it is a fader)
Switzerland
France
Bulgaria
Ukraine (still growing on me)

Oh, we have very different taste then. Italy and Ukraine are the only from the list I really care about, I can tolerate Malta, Finland, Switzerland and France too (but they're all kinda safe and dated to me).

Well, I guess that's the charm with Eurovision in the end of the day, there's something for everyone.

FilipFromSweden

I think this year proved that having the producers pick the running order is crucial.

Imagine SF1 if it started with :be: and then :au: :cy: :hr: :il: :az: and :mt: followed each other

A-lister

Veteran
I think this year proved that having the producers pick the running order is crucial.

Imagine SF1 if it started with :be: and then :au: :cy: :hr: :il: :az: and :mt: followed each other

Nope, it's never crucial and corrupt!

If they really wanted a fair system and keep a good flow in the show they could have introduced a random draw with genre/tempo pots, this has been proposed every year and EBU constantly ignoring it (because they want this corrupt nontransparent system).

jatojo

What urgently needs to be changed in the Eurovision live show:

- Only artists with an objective relation to the respective participating countries should be allowed to sing (or rap) on stage
- The primary melody lines of the songs may not be represented by pre-recorded vocals - they must be sung by artists on the stage

And another wish:

- The composers should to a large extent have an objective relation to the respective countries

Zeus

People are talking about how Sweden gets a great spot. But watching the recap.. From Finland to Norway a lot of dynamics and contenders for the win, than interval act Jeangu and than the explosion that is Italy. After that Sweden just feels really lame. San Marino for the last time bringing the energy up once again.

I feel like The Netherlands and Sweden really have a bad spot. Maybe only for the juries it will work, not for the televote I think.

And Belgium and Portugal both so early is a bit meh. Both works better a bit later I feel.

Top Bottom