Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

A-lister

Veteran
Doesn`t change the fact that the always get a great spot in the running order though. xshrug
Whataboutism.

But if we're talking favoritism, you can't have one without the other, what does it matter when they're later on downvoted anyways and blocked from winning? xshrug

When Italy came back to the contest they were favored by the juries, but it didn't last for long.

GermanBango

I mean that one was obvious, but sometimes the more subtle downvoting can also effect the end result.
And yet this "downvoting" isn`t really a thing in Italy`s case. It`s a myth - not more, not less.

2011 - J: 4 / T: 11
2012 - J: 4 / T: 17
2013 - J: 9 / T: 10
2014 - J: 21 / T: 19
2015 - J: 5 / T: 1
2016 - J: 13 / T: 18
2017 - J: 7 / T: 6
2018 - J: 17 / T: 3
2019 - J: 4 / T: 3

Overall the ranks are relatively close together (2018 being the exception)

A-lister

Veteran
And yet this "downvoting" isn`t really a thing in Italy`s case. It`s a myth - not more, not less.

2011 - J: 4 / T: 11
2012 - J: 4 / T: 17
2013 - J: 9 / T: 10
2014 - J: 21 / T: 19
2015 - J: 5 / T: 1
2016 - J: 13 / T: 18
2017 - J: 7 / T: 6
2018 - J: 17 / T: 3
2019 - J: 4 / T: 3

Overall the ranks are relatively close together (2018 being the exception)

I get it, what I meant with subtle is that Italy could have even won for instance with "Soldi" had juries understood that that song was more relevant and forward-thinking than a campy Eurovision ballad but oh well xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
Televoters had Soldi only on 3 though?
... and that's where the jurors could have stepped in... but instead they put their cards on an entry that was #12 with the televoters xshrug

Soldi wasn't even my personal fav, but I think it would have been such a relevant entry for the contest just to show that the contest is able to produce something contemporary, cool and well produced (and also in native language), it would have boosted its credibility and the juries could have showed they were forward-thinking instead of backwards.

I'm fine with Arcade winning though... but Soldi would have brought more cred to the contest.

Citelis

but instead they put their cards on an entry that was #12 with the televoters xshrug
Juries could not know what t/v place would get. And since it was obvious in 2019 that North Macedonia was not contender for the t/v win it shows that juries voted what they believed it was the best without caring for the hype around the entry which is a good thing. And it wasn't political as some people said since they did the same in 2018 with Austria!

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
... and that's where the jurors could have stepped in... but instead they put their cards on an entry that was #12 with the televoters xshrug

Soldi wasn't even my personal fav, but I think it would have been such a relevant entry for the contest just to show that the contest is able to produce something contemporary, cool and well produced (and also in native language), it would have boosted its credibility and the juries could have showed they were forward-thinking instead of backwards.

I'm fine with Arcade winning though... but Soldi would have brought more cred to the contest.
Soldi was kinda ruined by staging 🤷‍♂️ they could just try to make it like in video but they went something underwhelming

A-lister

Veteran
Juries could not know what t/v place would get. And since it was obvious in 2019 that North Macedonia was not contender for the t/v win it shows that juries voted what they believed it was the best without caring for the hype around the entry which is a good thing. And it wasn't political as some people said since they did the same in 2018 with Austria!

And that's the problem, the juries "so called experts" honestly thought a pompous campy Eurovision-ballad makes sense in the soundscape of 2019... I rest my case.

A-lister

Veteran
Soldi was kinda ruined by staging 🤷‍♂️ they could just try to make it like in video but they went something underwhelming

Yeah, it was a bit underwhelming, but I stick to my opinion.

Anyways, that was then, now is now, it was just an example after all.

midnightsun

Veteran
I guess it's also due to the half draw? That's the only variable no one can control. It just so happens that 'lesser' songs are there in the first half.

True, however they put the (allegedly) more popular songs right after another, in blocks.

Russia - Malta - Portugal -Serbia

Switzerland-Iceland

Finland up to France

Italy - Sweden - San Marino (yes I believe Sweden did better than expected or they try at least to keep the Swedish audience interested)

The rest of the songs will be canon fodder tomorrow.

soulm8

Yeah, it was a bit underwhelming, but I stick to my opinion.

Anyways, that was then, now is now, it was just an example after all.
Loved Soldi, but Arcade was my fav song. The staging of Duncan was even more underwhelming. I was really happy he won anyway, could have won at least the jury vote with better staging though.

Top Bottom