Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

luli

Just watched the YouTube views of SF performances (to me it's interesting to see who DOESN'T get the hype, because it's hard to say for example for a big country like Russia if locals are watching the videos and we can get who doesn't have instant impact).

So:
Russia 957k
Ukraine 687k
Cyprus 523k
Azerbaijan 366k
Croatia 345k
Malta 225k
Lituanie 225k
Israel 220k
Romania 130k
Belgium 121k
Norway 116k
Sweden 97k
North Macedonia 89k
Australia 80k
Irlande 12 points (kidding, 72k)
Slovenia 50k
Croatia more than MALTA, Sweden, LIT, SWE, BEL, ISR. Cammon... 😠

Lindon

English subtitles available:

A-lister

Veteran
Croatia more than MALTA, Sweden, LIT, SWE, BEL, ISR. Cammon... 😠

And? xshrug

Russia has the most because... wait for it... Russia is the largest country in Europe with the biggest population by far...

Croatia in itself is small, but belonging to an integrated exYugo bloc and exYugo diaspora on top of that, it's actually the third biggest market after Russia and Ukraine out of the countries that competed in semi 1 (if we add Turkey into the mix then yeah Azerbaijan is second, but not sure if their markets are as integrated).

It's more interesting to see how songs fair on non-local streamings than combining it with local views/listens, which will give a somewhat misleading perception given that countries can't vote for themselves and all countries have equal share of votes regardless of size.

Last edited:

luli

And? xshrug

Russia has the most because... wait for it... Russia is the largest country in Europe with the biggest population by far...

Croatia in itself is small, but belonging to an integrated exYugo bloc and exYugo diaspora on top of that, it's actually the third biggest market after Russia and Ukraine out of the countries that competed in semi 1 (if we add Turkey into the mix then yeah Azerbaijan is second, but not sure if their markets are as integrated).

It's more interesting to see how songs fair on non-local streamings than combining it with local views/listens, which will give a somewhat misleading perception given that countries can't vote for themselves and all countries have equal share of votes regardless of size.
Well, I can tell the same thing for Scandinavia. 🤭

Ezio

Veteran
I will post it here as well. It gives a better picture than views, imo.

:ua: Ukraine's currently trending on YT:

#3 - Austria
#3 - Iceland
#3 - Lithuania
#3 - Russia
#8 - Belgium
#8 - Germany
#9 - Estonia
#12 - The Netherlands
#14 - Sweden
#18 - The UK
#21 - Poland
#22 - Denmark
#41 - Czech Republic

#1 in all those countries among non-local entries (except Estonia & Germany where Russia is higher).

Edit: Updates added.
That’s crazy, Austria was not even in the same semifinal but I feel like we are already hypnotized

FilipFromSweden

wrong thread

empo21

Veteran
Press be like

Cyprus: Amazing, winner vibes, great (odds shorten)
Reality: not that great of a performance tbh

Azerbaijan: Static, sings just good enough, borderline (odds drift)
Reality: not as bad as described

I'm putting :az: and :cy: on the same level based on their performances last night. Efendi actually sounded better that Elena.

Last edited:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member
Press be like

Azerbaijan: Static, signs just good enough, borderline (odds drift)

The press' bias against oriental ethnic beats is really showing tbh.

midnightsun

Veteran
Press be like

Azerbaijan: Static, sings just good enough, borderline (odds drift)

I'm putting :az: and :cy: on the same level based on their performances last night. Efendi actually sounded better that Elena.

Have to agree here. Cyprus performance was average. I liked Efendi much more.
I also don’t think Cyprus were high in that semi, but I can be wrong of course.
I‘ve liked Azerbaijan a lot since they‘ve started their rehearsals, it’s actually not bad. I don’t see in Cyprus what others are seeing and I don’t get why everyone is thinking Efendi was bad when I didn’t notice anything bad at all. But it’s ok - tastes are different.

FilipFromSweden

I know I am repetitive but can you guys believe we are living in the Eurovision week? Live it breathe it eat it and enjoy every minute

Grinch

:mk: and :sl: are also ex-Yu but their views are xshrugYes, they are not same with Croatia but still.

JamieBrown

Well, I want to give a bigger review on SF1 after I reacted shortly last night, even though I might not comment on the songs I found worse xshrug

🇱🇹 - That was a great start after two years with no Eurovision show and I thought we've seen a heavy winning contender with a cool performance and a fantastic electro-popsong. In comparison with my fave my feelings toward The Roop flatten a little and I struggle to memorize their song
🇸🇮 - I wish my lovely Slovenia all the best and Ana Soklič showed she's a great singer, as I didn't connect with her in Voda. But I guess the songs are more written to showcase her stunning voice and I find no further emotion in it, that kicks on me. I wouldn't mind her in the finals, but I'm not upset on their NQ
🇷🇺 - I actually had some high hopes thanks to @daniels1000 review on that and boy did she deliver. I heard her NF performance was even better, but hell this is a cool song. A little bit messy, but not too much. Love the ethno beats, wanted to read the english lyrics instantly as I already felt from the staging and the visuals that they must be good. I absolutely stan the moment when she turns around to sing with the female choir on the backdrop. Gorgeous. Must be my favourite russian entry ever
🇸🇪 - Seeing Sweden worryfied me if there were really bad songs to come. The composition is kinda dull and I'm not too fond of pop gospels, yet I didn't mind this as well. I don't think any male pop artist could sing this entry to me, but Tusse performed alright
🇦🇺 - This semi left me with a surprising Top 3 of countries I rarely put high in my rankings. This video elevated a fine popsong and I got outstanding 80's vibes from the light shows. My biggest loss from this semi
🇲🇰 - When you brainstorm too long on the visuals you could use for your staging lol...then again the song is over the top cheese and so was the performance haha
🇮🇪 - I absolutely adore Story of my life and tho the live vocals made feel worse about this year's entry I absolutely adored the paper works for the staging. I think they should've gone with them all the way down and keep it for the last minute also. Sorry to this lovely person and idea for not qualifying
🇧🇪 - Not the Hooverphonic song I adored, not an eurovision entry I disliked. Just the middle of the road, but not too keen on the performance. If Geike could manage to look directly into the camera all the performance long on Saturday I have the feelings the camera work could become hauntingly beautiful. Now it contains a few weird settings
🇮🇱 - Hate to comparize the entries of last years artists with each other but here I also have to as Feker Libi sparked more joy for me then. Nonetheless Eden Alene is a little goddess on stage and totally gave an okayish song the life it needed to qualify deservedly
🇷🇴 - We got 99 problems, but the song ain't one. Totally put a possibly mesmerizing entry into trash with this hell of a performance. For a start I feel like Roxen is not a good singer (didn't she also trainwreck her vocals in a NF entry last year?). Amnesia itself could perfectly describe reliable inner sorrows, but I can only think of how they threw this away
🇺🇦 - Best package of the night. Song, vocals, staging, dancing, visuals, backdrop, artists. This gave me everything. I needed to pay attention every second of it. Gorgeous mix of ethno vibes and cool beats and I really appreciate how they set up the pace faster until culminating into the final. Love it. Should be in my Top 3 overall. At least!
🇲🇹 - Props for the artist and her lyrics. Just not really my cup of tea

Overall an okayish semifinal with three outstanding performances (Russia, Australia, Ukraine) and one I'd love to see again (Ireland). For the other 6 I wouldn't have mind any other entry. Well, maybe except for North Macedonia :D

tararaaam

No offense, but the comparison between Cyprus and Azerbaijan is just hilarious. The one was professional, well-thought and classy, and the other tacky and cheap fake-oriental. Of course Efendi sounded better, since she isn’t even singing much.

A-lister

Veteran
No offense, but the comparison between Cyprus and Azerbaijan is just hilarious. The one was professional, well-thought and classy, and the other tacky and cheap fake-oriental. Of course Efendi sounded better, since she isn’t even singing much.

I'd take "fake-oriental" any day over a complete blatant copy xshrug

At least Efendi's song has SOME character on its own, I can't say the same about the 2009 lost Gaga demo...

I mean the Cypriot entry is still ok, but to call it "professional, well-thought and classy" when it's almost like a parody of copycats now that is the hilarious part to me... no offense

Top Bottom