Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

A-lister

Veteran
Then I can also go and lipsync the next amazing hit song. Oh wait, that already happens.

With your logic they could do covers like in one of those 1000 unoriginal talent singing shows if the songs don't matter at all? I mean oh wait... Cyprus kinda did xshrug

Don't get me wrong, I am completely against allowing pre-recorded backing vocals, and of course a singer should be able to sing, but if the songs are irrelevant in a song contest then I dunno xshrug

FilipFromSweden

YouTube rankings of the SF1 finalists:

1. Russia (4.3m)
2. Ukraine (3.1m)
3. Cyprus (1.3m)
3. Azerbaijan (1.3m)
5. Malta (840k)
6. Israel (881k)
7. Lithuania (793k)
8. Belgium (443k)
9. Norway (437k)
10. Sweden (351k)

Smells like Sweden was saved by juries after all???

A-lister

Veteran

1. Russia (4.3m)
2. Ukraine (3.1m)
3. Cyprus (1.3m)
3. Azerbaijan (1.3m)
5. Malta (840k)
6. Israel (881k)
7. Lithuania (793k)
8. Belgium (443k)
9. Norway (437k)
10. Sweden (351k)

Which I've been claiming over and over again :lol:

Well, we'll have to wait and see with the split results...

However we should take total YT views with a slight grain of salt, countries with big populations (or belonging to bigger combined music markets) have more views in total, hence why Russia is dominating.

Of course, that's just only part of it, but it adds in.

tararaaam

With your logic they could do covers like in one of those 1000 unoriginal talent singing shows if the songs don't matter at all? I mean oh wait... Cyprus kinda did xshrug

Don't get me wrong, I am completely against allowing pre-recorded backing vocals, and of course a singer should be able to sing, but if the songs are irrelevant in a song contest then I dunno xshrug
No, with my logic, it’s a combination of singing and song. If not, then that’s when it becomes a talent show or a lipsync for your life from RUDR. I really can’t see how Azerbaijan is more original than Cyprus, but whatever. If something, the girl from Cyprus isn’t stiff af or without any good vocals skills. Anyway.

A-lister

Veteran
No, with my logic, it’s a combination of singing and song. If not, then that’s when it becomes a talent show or a lipsync for your life from RUDR. I really can’t see how Azerbaijan is more original than Cyprus, but whatever. If something, the girl from Cyprus isn’t stiff af or without any good vocals skills. Anyway.

I mean I don't want this to be either a singing talent show nor a lip-synching show :lol:

Well, Cyprus isn't original let's be real, it's the most blatant copy of a distinct artist and sound I've seen in this contest... with that said, I can still get if someone prefers that song over another (in this case Azerbaijan's), that's just a matter of personal taste... but when someone claims originality... this is where it falls kinda flat.

I'm not saying Azerbaijan is particularly original, frankly few songs in the contest are, but there is a difference between sounding like your average Eurovision ethno-Pop bop and another to sound like a copy of a distinct artist/song, the former is more general, the latter is very precise.

Again, this is not about the quality of the songs or performances, don't get me wrong here. But to me it's hard to put the Gaga copy sound completely aside if we are to judge songs here... it's just too in your face.

tararaaam

I don’t see this “in your face” factor personally. Moreover, she manages to deliver, so that becomes irrelevant to me. And I don’t see how it is bad to use a successful song writer that clearly has some specific way of composing. After all, it’s not a song that will win. Sweden did win with such a song, and I think that’s when it becomes a bit problematic.

A-lister

Veteran
I don’t see this “in your face” factor personally. Moreover, she manages to deliver, so that becomes irrelevant to me. And I don’t see how it is bad to use a successful song writer that clearly has some specific way of composing. After all, it’s not a song that will win. Sweden did win with such a song, and I think that’s when it becomes a bit problematic.

What Swedish song do you refer to?

tararaaam

Heroes. Personally I felt like the similarity to David Guetta was way too strong to allow that to win, had no problem with it if it wouldn’t, though.

A-lister

Veteran
Heroes. Personally I felt like the similarity to David Guetta was way too strong to allow that to win, had no problem with it if it wouldn’t, though.

I'm personally not a fan of that song, but I don't get the Guetta comparison though? xshrug

tararaaam

Lovers on the Sun does have quite a similar hook. It may not be throughout the song, but it’s clear and it’s there. I think someone else mentioned that recently, can’t remember in which thread.

midnightsun

Veteran
Actually I found Cyprus VERY stiff and also not a great vocalist. But the taste is different. I loved Azerbaijan's performance.

1. Russia (4.3m)
2. Ukraine (3.1m)
3. Cyprus (1.3m)
3. Azerbaijan (1.3m)
5. Malta (840k)
6. Israel (881k)
7. Lithuania (793k)
8. Belgium (443k)
9. Norway (437k)
10. Sweden (351k)

Rasmussen was in 11th position after 24h, KEiiNO was 8th. You could be right, but views arent the best indicator.

mauve

Veteran

crashworld

Veteran
Press be like

Cyprus: Amazing, winner vibes, great (odds shorten)
Reality: not that great of a performance tbh

Azerbaijan: Static, sings just good enough, borderline (odds drift)
Reality: not as bad as described

I'm putting :az: and :cy: on the same level based on their performances last night. Efendi actually sounded better that Elena.

This is why from now on, I've decided to take the press comments with a pinch of salt especially they themselves are mostly fans like us. The way they keep harping on how great the staging for some of their favourites and then when you watch the performance, they are just alright (ie Cyprus, Croatia).

Top Bottom