Contact us

ESC United - Rehearsal and Live Show discussion megathread

Sean

Admin
Staff member
It's time for the rehearsals to finally get underway for Eurovision 2024 at Malmö Arena! 37 countries will begin their preparations for this year's contest today, with over two weeks of coverage to come from the ESC United team on the ground!

The schedule for rehearsals is below (thank you Eurovisionworld! All times in CEST);

You can check out Matt's pre-rehearsal live stream below in case you missed it;

DAY ONE

The team will be on hand to cover everything going on in Malmö over the coming weeks, so make sure to follow ESC United on Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram, and YouTube and Twitch to not miss a minute!

Please also use this thread for any rehearsal coverage and discussion, including for jury shows, dress rehearsals and the live shows!​

Attachments

• 1714181273244.png
    1714181273244.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
No, I haven't had lunch yet.
I don't even want to go downstairs to start cooking - I think I will be missing all the tea/drama.
Look at me. I was away for a few hors taking a walk with my mom - and know as it seems there was drama again --- I need to retrace and have to read many pages again. Hope I am thru until the Final starts ...

Seregil Korit

I don't believe that statment is the entire truth. The real truty probably lies somewhere between this and what else has been reported.

Some of you can say AVROTROS wouldn't defend him if it was true, but lets face it they wouldn't be the first broadcaster to defend one of their own even if they're wrong and i doubt they'd be the last. Its crazy how so many of you are treating this statement as the gospel truth

It's the only actual statement that we've had, so, yes, I'll choose to believe it.
If the EBU is graceful enough to actually listen to their public and give us actual information regarding the situation, maybe I'll reconsider.

aef

Wow this topic somehow get's really annoying. Because I don't know what to think and believe anymore. Is there any reliable source if physical violence was involved or not? I mean AVROTROS denied that and I tend to believe them. It would be a big thing if they lied about the circumstances... If it was like AVROTROS described it, it's seems to be the most ridiculous thing ever in Eurovision. Dont get me wrong, IF is the important word here. If a disqualification happend due to such a minor incident, that's actually mindblowing. After all I still don't understand why the police was involved then. I mean yes there is a difference between serious threats against life and such incidents (based on how AVROTROS is decribing the incident).

If those are EBU's low standards for disqulification then they could have already disqualified :il: 10 times probably.

Miloutchi

We have had these little clips of the artists just after leaving the stage every year. I found them quite nice actually. Why would Joost not want them? And is it even possible to deny that? I mean, it‘s not like they were trying to film him in a private environment. Calling an attempt to film a piece for the official DVD harassement is also a bit strange. He must have completely misunderstood the situation.
Apparently, beforehand it was agreed that he would not be filmed. So probably the one who misunderstood is the person filming him any way.

Ted Talks

I don't believe that statment is the entire truth. The real truty probably lies somewhere between this and what else has been reported.

Some of you can say AVROTROS wouldn't defend him if it was true, but lets face it they wouldn't be the first broadcaster to defend one of their own even if they're wrong and i doubt they'd be the last. Its crazy how so many of you are treating this statement as the gospel truth
Fully agree!

It is deeply worrying to me how many are just believing Joost and the Dutch broadcaster regardless of what's happening.

If the police are involved, then there's got to be a bit more to it than what some believe. Of course the Dutch broadcaster is going to defend Joost - it's what any lawyer would do in a similar situation unless he was truly, truly indefensible.

Footage is only going to be provided - and even then it's up to police/EBU's discretion - once the investigation is complete.

jatojo

A man threatened a woman with God knows what and people can still defend this awful man. It's unbelievable.
A threat can be many things. It could be showing a fist. That’s a different matter than if you simulate a slit throat for instance.

Miloutchi

Director of AVROTROS in an interview on NOS:

He seems pissed. They tried everything to prevent disqualification. Apologizing, etc. The woman did not want contact with the delegation, so that was not possible. According to witnesses and Joost it was a threatening movement, but he cannot say what movement exactly, only that it was threatening. Disproportionate. EBU didn’t accept anything but disqualification.

They are working on an official complain. Seems to me that they are withdrawing from the contest.

Oh and Joost is gutted.

Ted Talks

It's the only actual statement that we've had, so, yes, I'll choose to believe it.
If the EBU is graceful enough to actually listen to their public and give us actual information regarding the situation, maybe I'll reconsider.
You're actively choosing to ignore one half of events then quite wilfully?

The Dutch broadcaster is of course going to put out its side of events, but that's all it is. Their side of things.

I'm going to drive myself crazy saying it, but if the police are involved, then the EBU is hamstrung on what it can legally say/do. Anything they say could hamper the investigation.

The Dutch broadcaster is more than likely harming things by putting out their statement.

Grinch

People here do not understand that if you lose your temper when someone is putting the camera in your face( I’m sure it was deliberately done by EBU to provoke him), you can warn this guy not make him look like a murderer and then not to say a word on your official media platforms! They wanted him out, they were afraid what he can say during the Final and he is out!
I'm sorry but your conspiracy theory doesn't make sense.

Sammy

Veteran
Apparently, beforehand it was agreed that he would not be filmed. So probably the one who misunderstood is the person filming him any way.
that‘s what puzzles me. Can you - as the only artist - back out for a segment that every artist has?

Last edited:

soulm8

Clearly you don't know.

h2YIIR4.png

Now you know it's serious.
Love xheart
And you have different consequences for different forms of threats. Right? I mean right?????

Chorizo

Now imagine Croatia wins the televote tonight (will happen 100%) but does not win overall because of the juries. The overall winner will be Israel (2nd/3rd in tv and better than Croatia with the juries). I guess Malmö Arena would burn. :censored:
The show would end with riot police storming the venue and fake cheers from the anti-booing system making it sound like the audience is having the time of their lives.

Rasmus0714

A man threatened a woman with God knows what and people can still defend this awful man. It's unbelievable.
From Reddit:https://www.reddit.com/r/eurovision/comments/1cpefb1/comment/l3k5j92/
"I'm Dutchie living in Sweden, and was once almost fired from a university teaching job because of a single student complaint after bluntly telling my students that many of their assignments don't bother to include their name and student nr, or use basic punctuation, and that I'm not ever going to grade them until they fix that (note: so not even saying I would fail them. I gave them infinite retries).

So I'm obviously biased by the experience but I am more inclined to believe it's a clash of cultures: Dutch bluntness vs Swedish direct conflict avoidance and aggressive conflict escalation via official complaint channels.

edit: since this is getting more visibility than I expected, I want to add a bit of nuance so people don't think I'm crapping on Swedish culture. I think both countries are charming because of these cultural traits, the problem is that both can take it too far, and since they are polar opposites it can really clash. But I like living here partially because the Dutch bluntness often manifests as aggressively asserting opinions as truths with unearned confidence, whereas in my experience Swedes tend to be a lot more aware that whatever they say is their interpretation, and much more willing to listen to each other's pov. In a perfect world our countries would learn a bit from each other here."

"Your assessment based off your anecdotal experience unfortunately is reality of the general climate in Sweden. For instance, if people have problems with a neighbor they will do anything but speak directly to that neighbor…"

"Oh I know, I once tried apologizing to an elderly neighbor for making too much noise at 4:00 AM after she complained to the landlord about it. And I was going there because she was completely right and wanted to let her know how sorry I was. Despite that she still was so scared of me being angry about her complaint that she tried avoiding me after the apology"

Chorizo

Wow this topic somehow get's really annoying. Because I don't know what to think and believe anymore. Is there any reliable source if physical violence was involved or not? I mean AVROTROS denied that and I tend to believe them. It would be a big thing if they lied about the circumstances... If it was like AVROTROS described it, it's seems to be the most ridiculous thing ever in Eurovision. Dont get me wrong, IF is the important word here. If a disqualification happend due to such a minor incident, that's actually mindblowing. After all I still don't understand why the police was involved then. I mean yes there is a difference between serious threats against life and such incidents (based on how AVROTROS is decribing the incident).

If those are EBU's low standards for disqulification then they could have already disqualified :il: 10 times probably.
I guess Bambie Thug is lucky that she’s not on trial now for conjuring a demon, which is probably in violation of a Swedish witch law from 1529 or something.

Top Bottom