Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferryman

Stuggi (for April), Liverpool/Stockport (for May)
This morning, I 'ave been mostly listening to Austria...

Okay, I've heard two or three times before, but this was really a revisiting of the video and song. The whole package.

Musically it's got a couple of catchy hooks, but in essence it's just a bop. There's nothing fantastically ground-breaking here.

The message within the song and video is quite clever and biting though. It's almostly certainly going to make the GF, and it'll be intriguing to see how the jury reacts to that message. I'm pretty sure that the majority of televoters won't get that message though on a single exposure.

It's in a similar position to Czechia, in that the video is very strong. How much of the video story, and what elements can be carried to the stage is going to be a big challenge.

But for me, if you just listen to it, then it doesn't sound so special. It's not really getting much play time in my head compared to other entries which are constantly emerging from my sub-conscious.

Oh, and I shouldn't forget the 'elephant in the room'! I've had too much exposure over the years to 'living next door to Alice'. The inevitable result of which is that I keep hearing 'Who the f**k is Edgar'!

Lindon

Oh, and I shouldn't forget the 'elephant in the room'! I've had too much exposure over the years to 'living next door to Alice'. The inevitable result of which is that I keep hearing 'Who the f**k is Edgar'!
According to Teya and Salena the original lyrics. But that was too much for ORF.

Who the f... is Edgar?
There's a ghost in my body and he is a lyricist
It is Edgar Allan Poe and he is writing like a bitch.

Last edited:

Ferryman

Stuggi (for April), Liverpool/Stockport (for May)
According to Teya and Salena the original lyrics. But that was too much for ORF.

Who the f... is Edgar?
There's a ghost in my body and he is a lyricist
It is Edgar Allan Poe and he is writing like a bitch.

Earlier this morning I came across:

rwRejcFmYKDcGx9VQQufUUY_sjlkXhZ1ozI7YV4Qtds.jpg

Please pardon the language.

Apparently this is from a reddit thread from at least ten years ago.

marty

This morning, I 'ave been mostly listening to Austria...

Okay, I've heard two or three times before, but this was really a revisiting of the video and song. The whole package.

Musically it's got a couple of catchy hooks, but in essence it's just a bop. There's nothing fantastically ground-breaking here.

The message within the song and video is quite clever and biting though. It's almostly certainly going to make the GF, and it'll be intriguing to see how the jury reacts to that message. I'm pretty sure that the majority of televoters won't get that message though on a single exposure.

It's in a similar position to Czechia, in that the video is very strong. How much of the video story, and what elements can be carried to the stage is going to be a big challenge.

But for me, if you just listen to it, then it doesn't sound so special. It's not really getting much play time in my head compared to other entries which are constantly emerging from my sub-conscious.

I dont hope that they are going to try to bring the video onto the stage. that would end up in a big mess. In some interviews Teya & Salena gave hints that they will use the dance moves from the video. Maybe they could bring the funny man to Liverpool. I think the most difficult part to stage is the dialogue in the beginning. However, this could be a big advantage for Austria over Sweden and Finland because everybody is at a loss as to how the staging would look like. Austria can surprise everybody.
You are right that this is not a radio song, it needs the visual component. But in the end there are many arguments in the favor of the Austrian act:
Teya and Salena are: very good singers, very energetic, very likable interview partners
The song is: catchy, unforgettable, very clever produced, funny
The song has a message that is new to eurovision

The challenge is like mentioned above, that this song needs a very, very clever staging.

aef

I would say that staging this year for :at: isn't such a difficult task as last year when they had to include LUMIX as a DJ.Last year would have been better in any occasion with dancers and without the ring/ halo. This year I'm more than confident that they will work it out. They will bring some kind of dance moves/ choreography and that's already the most important thing to do for them.

gingerale

Despite their good voices the Amsterdam performance shows that the song is difficult to perform live. The "o mio padre..." parts need to be stronger because it really expose their voices.

Lindon

Despite their good voices the Amsterdam performance shows that the song is difficult to perform live. The "o mio padre..." parts need to be stronger because it really expose their voices.
In the very beginning of the performance Teya's microphone didn't work for two seconds. Then I had the impression that Salena struggled a bit with her in-ears. It sounded off-key. On the live stream of the dark side Teya and Salena confirmed that they had "technical issues".

Last edited:

Eidechse

First time since Conchita I'm hyped for my own country's chances to win. A song I love myself.

Undoubtedly a banger but any news on how Teya's and Salena's live performances are so far?

Ezio

Veteran
I was genuinely hyped for Loin d'ici and Halo, also

aef

Let’s be real, their vocals have been decent or good at every pre party so far.

Lindon

Another 90 sec of London. Crowd is amazing.

Last edited:

12Pointsgoto.....

I think that they should add more backing vocals during the Oh mio padre part, since it seems that that is what they struggle with. Other than that, they have had good vocals and great charisma at every performance so far, and you can tell that they are building up confidence with every performane.

Top Bottom