Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindon

18-year-old Ukrainian student Maryna aka KüR won the Austrian Protest Song Contest with her wistful song about the time before the war and not only received the most points from the jury, but also won the public vote.

Maryna chose her stage name KüR (Freestyle), like the equivalent of Duty, because she likes both the sound and the meaning of the word. Her protest song "Ljudi (People)", sung in Ukrainian and German, describes in words as poetic as they are simple the irretrievable time before the war, the beginning of the war and the flight.

At the beginning of the war, Maryna wanted to stay in Ukraine and help. One month after the war began, her mother was able to persuade the then minor to leave the country after all. Maryna's flight took her through several countries to Austria, where she now lives with an Austrian family. She goes to school here, would like to take her high school diploma and then study - preferably in a Kiev without war.

The Protest Song Contest is a music event that was first held on February 12, 2004. Protest songs are judged that deal with (socio)political topics such as environmental protection, the surveillance state, animal protection, globalization or xenophobia.

Last edited:

njdevils94

Veteran
The lyrics to Edgar (Allan Poe)?

Its been deleted but archived. :lol:

Last edited:

StephenMuckle

I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit. Edgar Allan Poe is mentioned in I am the Walrus by The Beatles and where is Eurovision? In Liverpool of course

Lindon

The lyrics to Edgar (Allan Poe)?

Its been deleted but archived. :lol:

Never mind, I fell for it too a few postings earlier because I didn't read the original tweet carefully enough. 🤣

ChiversLookDivine

I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit. Edgar Allan Poe is mentioned in I am the Walrus by The Beatles and where is Eurovision? In Liverpool of course

no I'm not disputing the song is Edgar (Allan Poe), I'm saying those lyrics aren't real. There was a Twitter post 2 weeks ago where someone generated those lyrics using ChatGPT based off that 10 second POE POE leak, and if you go on Genius you can see where a Eurofan off Twitter edited the lyrics yesterday.

Lindon

This is how the next controversy about an Austrian contribution arises before it is even published.

What have we had in the past few years?

There was the homophobia campaign against Vincent Bueno.

There was the bullying campaign against Pænda and Pia Maria.

And now I see the beginning of a campaign on social media as to whether it is appropriate to sing about an allegedly pedophile author. Greetings from Corsage.

MopManMoss

Veteran
You pay way too much attention to lunatics online Lindon, the whole world is not against Austria but you'd get the impression they were if you read some of the things on the austrian threads

Zeus

Poe was a great and unique writer, I don't get why his name x32 would be the chorus of some lame Eurovision song. All these teens singing along don't have a single clue who he is, I already dislike that a lot. Cultural poverty, it would feel so empty to me. But yeah I probably sound like a lame old dude right now for most here, not that I care tho.

And what is it with the pedophile thing? I don't get how people can really make a thing out of that, it was a completely different time back then. The fact you could marry a girl that age, that apparently it was legal already says quite a lot. Times and morals change (and for the good ofc).

Ezio

Veteran
This is how the next controversy about an Austrian contribution arises before it is even published.

What have we had in the past few years?

There was the homophobia campaign against Vincent Bueno.

There was the bullying campaign against Pænda and Pia Maria.

And now I see the beginning of a campaign on social media as to whether it is appropriate to sing about an allegedly pedophile author. Greetings from Corsage.
You should contribute somehting to other threads as well to get out of the Austria bubble

Ezio

Veteran
Poe was a great and unique writer, I don't get why his name x32 would be the chorus of some lame Eurovision song. All these teens singing along don't have a single clue who he is, I already dislike that a lot. Cultural poverty, it would feel so empty to me. But yeah I probably sound like a lame old dude right now for most here, not that I care tho.

And what is it with the pedophile thing? I don't get how people can really make a thing out of that, it was a completely different time back then. The fact you could marry a girl that age, that apparently it was legal already says quite a lot. Times and morals change (and for the good ofc).

well, then the Green Parties should be forbidden because of their views on infants and their sexuality only 40 years ago. Now the lefties are the biggest cancel culture propagandists

Mainshow

Veteran
They were in Prague for working on their choreography (+outfits)

marty

They were in Prague for working on their choreography (+outfits)

Seems like the video is directed by Ruy Okamura who directed the video for We Are Domi last year.

aef

Somehow certain users always start weird and pointless discussions in this thread…

Top Bottom