5 3.8%

6 4.5%

15 11.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

ollibox

Well I will be at the very least, I think it could get a few televote a for sure, British jury would probably love it if it got through to the final ( I’m almost certain it will given semi 2)
Well, getting through to the final is the most important for us, I guess.
In the final, all the juries will take it over :p

Mainshow

Veteran
Idk what the actual voting numbers ever are exactly, but its super super cheap to vote and even in all the years of utter mediocrity Eurovision has been a ratings success for the BBC with the exception of only a couple. I can't imagine them being so painfully low, last year even had some of their best ratings for Eurovision this century.

Edit: MopManMoss already made a good point.

Theoretically Poland should take our 12 every year as they have a larger diaspora who also have a habit of spamming the redial button during voting, but often Lithuania beats them to it.

It´s super cheap to vote here in Germany as well: 0,14€ per vote (via landline) and 020€ per SMS/text message and even though :pl: has a huge diaspora here (up to 2 million + an additional million of people of Polish descent) - apparently, it´s the biggest Polish diaspora in Europe and yet, :pl: still manages to "only" receive :2: points in 2017.

A few members on this forum frequently blame "diaspora" for a few countries not advancing to the finals but I really think that one has to differ because some diaspora simply don´t fully support their home country´s entry when it´s not "that good".

I don´t know why the :lt: diaspora has such a strong voting power in :uk: - I really believe that the general public simply doesn´t enjoy casting votes in the :uk: as much as they do in :de: , for example.

The blue is jury, any look at diaspora should concern the televote which is red!

Monika Liu got televote points from every single country in semi 1 I was overjoyed by that fact! You're intentionally missing the trends though but that is ok!

Just look at all the times UK televote 12 points result when to Lithuania since 2015;
2015: Semi 2 & Grand Final
2016: Semi 2 & Grand Final
2017: Lithuania was in the other semi and didnt qualify
2018: Semi 1 & Grand Final
2019: Semi 2 & LT didnt qualify
2021: Lithuania was in the other semi and Grand Final

For countries that share no history or cultural overlap this is obviously the result of the large diaspora here, I have no issue with that fact but thats just reality

I'm not denying facts, just relativizing them. 🤣

Of course there's a diaspora effect, but it is really not that important in deciding qualifiers or winners.

Roop had a banger we loved, Monika had a song I'd never vote for but whole Croatia, unlike I, did.

That's all.

There's another thing though that has determined qualifiers of 2022 - bias and corrupt juries.

Yet people still mourn for them, but on the other side get all fussy about essentially irrelevant diaspora. I'm annoyed by this.

There is also another more problematic televoting problem people want to disregard, and that's an obvious Scandinavian - Benelux block of voters with corresponding taste for the blandest pop from the 20th century because of which many people don't wanna watch Eurovision.

No, the reason are not silly entries. The reason are 20 entries in the row of same old pop songs we stopped listening when Abba thank God retired. These Britneys and Christinas and Gagas and Beyonces of the 00's parading in a row for 2hrs are exhausting.

And we can't do anything about it unfortunately when kids and juries from Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, and some other Baltic countries + Greece and Malta that produce their songs in Sweden, start exchanging their votes.

This was excatly the reason why Croatia was a NQ for past 2 years, ending up 11th in both 2021 and 2022.

Last edited:
Not being funny but are you really going there as someone from a former Yugoslavia country

And how many Yugoslav countries there are in each semi that can exchange their 12s?

2 baby!

So we can give this year to Serbia a 12 and vice versa, which will not happen due to Croatian entry not corresponding to their politics.

That leaves us with another 16 countries to vote for!

For God's sake how can "Yugoslav block" affect any results???? HOW? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

MopManMoss

Veteran
And how many Yugoslav countries there are in each semi that can exchange their 12s?

2 baby!

So we can give this year to Serbia a 12 and vice versa, which will not happen due to Croatian entry not corresponding to their politics.

That leaves us with another 16 countries to vote for!

For God's sake how can "Yugoslav block" affect any results???? HOW? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Im not saying it does necessarily affect results its just funny complaining about voting blocs (which I dont do and never have) despite being from one of the biggest most notorious ones, like are you really going to moan about the benelux its just two countries when youre from western balkans.

You cannot say that the yugoslav block doesnt exist when Montenegro 2019 (one of the biggest trainwrecks ever to grace the eurovision stage) got a decent televote from Serbia and Slovenia.

Look none of this matters I dont care about diaspora or bloc voting its just a fact of reality whether that be cultural overlaps, shared language or immigrants but in the case of Lithuania it is very real and undeniably assists them at Eurovision and thats ok!

ollibox

There is also another more problematic televoting problem people want to disregard, and that's an obvious Scandinavian - Benelux block of voters with corresponding state for the blandest pop from the 20th century because of which many people don't wanna watch Eurovision.
Well, that's purely about musical taste, I think. It tends to be a tad different in the Nordic and in Benelux countries than it is in (south)-eastern part of Europe. For example, as long as I've followed ESC (about 25+ years by now), I haven't really connected to the Balkan entries tbh. With some exceptions, of course (btw, where's Željko Joksimović gone?)

Im not saying it does necessarily affect results its just funny complaining about voting blocs (which I dont do and never have) despite being from one of the biggest most notorious ones, like are you really going to moan about the benelux its just two countries when youre from western balkans.

You cannot say that the yugoslav block doesnt exist when Montenegro 2019 (one of the biggest trainwrecks ever to grace the eurovision stage) got a decent televote from Serbia and Slovenia.

Look none of this matters I dont care about diaspora or bloc voting its just a fact of reality whether that be cultural overlaps, shared language or immigrants but in the case of Lithuania it is very real and undeniably assists them at Eurovision and thats ok!

I'm not saying there isnt's a Yugoslav bloc, I'm saying it doesn't affect qualifiers and possible winners and overall sound of the competition, and the choice of music to compete with, as Scandinavian and Benelux bloc undeniably does.

Just ask Mahmood what he thinks of Duncan winning. Yeah. Thank you. 😉

@ollibox Thank you for your kind words! Neither of those CRO entries are my favs, but they could have qualified when I see entries like Tix or Systur qualifying. 😆

MopManMoss

Veteran
I'm not saying there isnt's a Yugoslav bloc, I'm saying it doesn't affect qualifiers and possible winners and overall sound of the competition, and the choice of music to compete with, as Scandinavian and Benelux bloc undeniably does.
I literally said that it probably doesnt effect results but why do you keep bringing up Benelux?? Its just Belgium and Netherlands at eurovision how is that going to be more of a successful voting exchange than the west balkans one??

ollibox

Just ask Mahmood what he thinks of Duncan winning. Yeah. Thank you. 😉

@ollibox Thank you for your kind words! Neither of those CRO entries are my favs, but they could have qualified when I see entries like Tix or Systur qualifying. 😆
@PollyWantsACracker Yeah, these two are REALLY bad examples tbh :LOL: Don't want to use strong words, but they weren't my favorites, let's say.

I literally said that it probably doesnt effect results but why do you keep bringing up Benelux?? Its just Belgium and Netherlands at eurovision how is that going to be more of a successful voting exchange than the west balkans one??

Ok, let's bet, you can disprove me on May 9th 2023 at 23:30.

These are semi 1 competitors.

_128479641_eurovision_semi_final_2_v2_2x640.png

The qaulifiers will be:

1. Sweden
2. Latvia
3. Norway
4. Netherlands
5. Finland
6. Malta
7. Switzerland
8. Israel
9. Portugal
10. Borderline qualifier will be decided between Ceska, Serbia, Ireland or Azerbaycan.

Yup. This is how "interesting" and "uncertain" the results of Eurovision televote are. And who occupies 6 places in total? "Swedish Pop-House Mafia". 🤣

BernadetteCydonia

If the juries really just voted for that song because of the parts in Lithuanian, they should have supported Gabrielius´entry instead - at least, that was a great ballad.
their logic is very skewed in this case lmao; they were more in favour of Monika's čiūto tūto more than anything (and kept telling Gabrielius that "dude you have way better non-ESC songs than your ESC one, submit one of your non-ESC songs instead" in a nutshell) :censored:

ollibox

Don't want to spill more oil to this fired-up argumentation, but @PollyWantsACracker - The block voting really was a case in late 90's - early 2000's. By the Balkan group. But I guess you knew that.
Haven't noticed that between Benelux-Nordic countries regularly though. Of course, neighboring countries tend to vote for each other (Norway, Sweden, Finland, sometimes Denmark).
Anyway, it's kind of same thing in the end? And there's nothing we can do about it, I guess. Even with these "smart" allocation methods nowadays, it doesn't change a lot.

Don't want to spill more oil to this fired-up argumentation, but @PollyWantsACracker - The block voting really was a case in late 90's - early 2000's. By the Balkan group. But I guess you knew that.
Haven't noticed that between Benelux-Nordic countries regularly though. Of course, neighboring countries tend to vote for each other (Norway, Sweden, Finland, sometimes Denmark).
Anyway, it's kind of same thing in the end? And there's nothing we can do about it, I guess. Even with these "smart" allocation methods nowadays, it doesn't change a lot.

Yeah. But diaspora and Yugoslavia are a problem here. Duh 🤣

Top Bottom