15 11.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran
Maybe the song is good?:rolleyes:

:de: usually don´t give :lt: points (diaspora ain´t that big over here). Like :uk:, we gave :lt: our :12: points in 2021 (The Roop).

:uk: didn´t give :12: to :lt: in 2022 - they did in 2018 and 2016, though...There´s clearly some significant tendency.. but so far, I think we still have to wait for more editions to draw conclusions since we can´t really track televoting results prior 2016.

"Run With The Lions" was catchy as hell! - I´m proud of having voted for it (and :de: giving :1: point).
It got robbed by "professional" juries who weren´t able to vote the right way up.

Semi finals, btw, aren´t really significant and meaningful since viewing figures in Big 5 countries are extremely low and the general public isn´t even aware of their existence - It´s the same here in Germany, usually only hardcore fans and "diaspora"/foreigners watch them.

MopManMoss

Veteran
That song was abysmal :D

Yeah, :lt: and :pl: in the :uk: are like :ro: and :md: in :es: (or :tr: and :ru: in :de: ) :D
Yes it was abysmal and 22 of the 25 televote points it received all came from two countries with significant Lithuanian immigrant populations its not a conspiracy. Apart from 2022 (which i am mad about) Lithuania has received 12 in the televote from the UK every single time it was able to since 2016 when the voting system changed.

I dont blame Lithuanians for this they are a relatively small country and I would absolutely do the same thing if I were in their shoes especially given how cheap it is to vote in eurovision here

ESC94

:de: usually don´t give :lt: points (diaspora ain´t that big over here). Like :uk:, we gave :lt: our :12: points in 2021 (The Roop).

:uk: didn´t give :12: to :lt: in 2022 - they did in 2018 and 2016, though...There´s clearly some significant tendency.. but so far, I think we still have to wait for more editions to draw conclusions since we can´t really track televoting results prior 2016.

"Run With The Lions" was catchy as hell! - I´m proud of having voted for it (and :de: giving :1: point).
It got robbed by "professional" juries who weren´t able to vote the right way up.

Semi finals, btw, aren´t really significant and meaningful since viewing figures in Big 5 countries are extremely low and the general public isn´t even aware of their existence - It´s the same here in Germany, usually only hardcore fans and "diaspora"/foreigners watch them.

If it was only up to the televote :lt: would´ve gotten :12: from :uk: in 2015 as well:

MopManMoss

Veteran

MopManMoss

Veteran
Not carefully enough thoug,h otherwise you would´ve noticed that in the GF :se: got the :12: from the :no: televote. ;)
To be fair Norway only has like 15k Lithuanians its not quite the same as Ireland and UK but there is enough data to support the claim

ESC94

To be fair Norway only has like 15k Lithuanians its not quite the same as Ireland and UK but there is enough data to support the claim

I know the numbers but you claimed that :lt: would´ve gotten :12: from the televoters in :no: as well but this was only the case in the semi final.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I know the numbers but you claimed that :lt: would´ve gotten :12: from the televoters in :no: as well but this was only the case in the semi final.
I meant more generally but it doesnt really matter

What matters is that the revamped version of Stay gets on spotify

Let me give you an even better example Rain of Revolution in 2017, what do you notice here?

jnihznU.png

I notice 6 pts from San Marino, and 4 from Macedonia, yup, Macedonia.

So it was obviously a song that could cross cultural and national biases towards music and its success didn't depend on diaspora solely.

Let's check Semi 1 results of Lithuania in 2022.

The most pts awarded 17 come from SLOVENIA, 16 come from CROATIA.

In other words, countries with ZERO Lithuanians apart from their embassies staff. 🤣🤣🤣

ollibox

You're talking to a british & irish person who has Monika Liu as their profile picture believe me I love plenty of Lithuanian entries but all you need to do is look at who gave the ultra bland Run With The Lions points in 2019

sELgdUw.png
Ok Ok, you made your point, I'm just messing with you :LOL:
I declare you as a winner and me as a looserxup

MopManMoss

Veteran
I notice 6 pts from San Marino, and 4 from Macedonia, yup, Macedonia.

So it was obviously a song that could cross cultural and national biases towards music and its success didn't depend on diaspora solely.

Let's check Semi 1 results of Lithuania in 2022.

The most pts awarded 17 come from SLOVENIA, 16 come from CROATIA.

In other words, countries with ZERO Lithuanians apart from their embassies staff. 🤣🤣🤣
The blue is jury, any look at diaspora should concern the televote which is red!

Monika Liu got televote points from every single country in semi 1 I was overjoyed by that fact! You're intentionally missing the trends though but that is ok!

Just look at all the times UK televote 12 points result when to Lithuania since 2015;
2015: Semi 2 & Grand Final
2016: Semi 2 & Grand Final
2017: Lithuania was in the other semi and didnt qualify
2018: Semi 1 & Grand Final
2019: Semi 2 & LT didnt qualify
2021: Lithuania was in the other semi and Grand Final

For countries that share no history or cultural overlap this is obviously the result of the large diaspora here, I have no issue with that fact but thats just reality

Mainshow

Veteran
The good thing is... if :uk: stopps sending utterly horrendous and embarrassing entries to Eurovision, the general public will also start caring about the contest and it may result into more ordinary viewers casting their votes.

I think that´s also part of the reason why :lt: didn´t enter "Top 3" in the British televoting last year despite submitting a brilliant entry.

MopManMoss

Veteran
The good thing is... if :uk: stopps sending utterly horrendous and embarrassing entries to Eurovision, the general public will also start caring about the contest and it may result into more ordinary viewers casting their votes.

I think that´s also part of the reason why :lt: didn´t enter "Top 3" in the British televoting last year despite submitting a brilliant entry.
I think they often get 12 because a lot of British people also vote for the entries in addition to Lithuanian immigrants (Donny Montell / Roop for example) so that cements them as the number 1 country in our televote and that Sentimentai as much as I absolutely love it was nowhere near accessible as their more recent entries given the lack of English

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

Idk what the actual voting numbers ever are exactly, but its super super cheap to vote and even in all the years of utter mediocrity Eurovision has been a ratings success for the BBC with the exception of only a couple. I can't imagine them being so painfully low, last year even had some of their best ratings for Eurovision this century.

Edit: MopManMoss already made a good point.

Theoretically Poland should take our 12 every year as they have a larger diaspora who also have a habit of spamming the redial button during voting, but often Lithuania beats them to it.

Top Bottom