Contact us

ESC United - Rehearsal and Live Show discussion megathread

Sean

Admin
Staff member
It's time for the rehearsals to finally get underway for Eurovision 2024 at Malmö Arena! 37 countries will begin their preparations for this year's contest today, with over two weeks of coverage to come from the ESC United team on the ground!

The schedule for rehearsals is below (thank you Eurovisionworld! All times in CEST);

You can check out Matt's pre-rehearsal live stream below in case you missed it;

DAY ONE

The team will be on hand to cover everything going on in Malmö over the coming weeks, so make sure to follow ESC United on Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram, and YouTube and Twitch to not miss a minute!

Please also use this thread for any rehearsal coverage and discussion, including for jury shows, dress rehearsals and the live shows!​

Attachments

• 1714181273244.png
    1714181273244.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

PolarFoxxie.

Well, it can be any country, Ukraine included. But that contradicts their previous statements about giving the 6 favourites to win their fair share to shine. I guess what he really meant is giving his personal choices their "fair" share.
Bingo, duh!

Citelis

Not for Ukraine anymore. Israel depending on jurry votes. Really curious how jurry will vote for Israel. Hopefully judging fairly and not giving another scandal. Because that song deserves to be high up ranking..

How does producer decide which betting odds favourite deserves to be on 23 spot and which one on second slot. Based on his personal preference or biase. Hmmmm. Like how is Croatia more deserving than Israel or Ukraine that 23rd spot. Logically if they have Biggest chance to win (according to Betting odds) than give them early spot. Fans will vote for them anyway. And that way it will be much more exciting.
Normally Israel would be considered a jury friendly entry but this year some jurors maybe intentionally down vote the entry for political reasons.

aef

This is not about Ukraine nor what anyone thinks of its chances. This is about the producers only putting certain type of countries on that slot.
What are those certain types of countries? I mean for years now :ua: always had the more or less best possible running order and now with the first year where it’s not perfect fans start whining around.

aef

There's literally an arficle posted on here yesterday that says the contrary. Chris doesn't know the results in theory, but Martin does and Martin can and does override Chris's choices. So in practise, they know what the results are and who are the favourites.
That’s not the conclusion of the article. The article is saying that C. does his work at first without knowing the results. He certainly doesn’t change everything afterwards because of M. M. doesn’t inform him about the overall results. Only slight changes are realistic.

empo21

Veteran
That’s not the conclusion of the article. The article is saying that C. does his work at first without knowing the results. He certainly doesn’t change everything afterwards because of M. M. doesn’t inform him about the overall results. Only slight changes are realistic.
He doesn't have to change everything because the draw is already made in favour of what Bjorkman considers Favourites. If there's a surprise Martin makes corrections. That article has Bjorkman say it's all about the favourites verbatim - that's the conclusion.

HayashiM

Veteran
What are those certain types of countries? I mean for years now :ua: always had the more or less best possible running order and now with the first year where it’s not perfect fans start whining around.
Since 2016, the death slot went to
2016 - Czechia
2017 - Poland
2018 - Spain
2019 - Albania
2021 - Albania
2022 - Romania
2023 - Portugal
2024 - Ukraine

So 75% of the time, the death slot goes to an Eastern European country (and the rest goes to the Iberian peninsula).

At the same time, the ONLY case in all these years where we have a Nordic country in the first three slots is this year where Sweden had to literally draw it.

Again, I am not whining about Ukraine, I am whining about privileged countries being more equal than other ones because of clear favouritism by the producers.

Loindici

Veteran
Ebu and Swedish producers can do whatever they want and we can vote for whomever we want but I am afraid that unfortunately Eurovision winner is already decided. Well congrats Croatia I guess.
Having countries that haven't won in a long time reaching victory will be fresh air to other countries. I'm very up for a Croatia win.

aef

Since 2016, the death slot went to
2016 - Czechia
2017 - Poland
2018 - Spain
2019 - Albania
2021 - Albania
2022 - Romania
2023 - Portugal
2024 - Ukraine

So 75% of the time, the death slot goes to an Eastern European country (and the rest goes to the Iberian peninsula).

At the same time, the ONLY case in all these years where we have a Nordic country in the first three slots is this year where Sweden had to literally draw it.

Again, I am not whining about Ukraine, I am whining about privileged countries being more equal than other ones because of clear favouritism by the producers.
So which countries are „privileged“ in your opinion?

And which country should have gotten #2 this year?

aef

He doesn't have to change everything because the draw is already made in favour of what Bjorkman considers Favourites. If there's a surprise Martin makes corrections. That article has Bjorkman say it's all about the favourites verbatim - that's the conclusion.
But what would be the point of putting more of the not so strong/ interesting songs between 20-26? After all you want to have an exciting show with the climax at the very end of the running order… and it’s also about setting highlights in the running order. Therefore not every favourite can get a spot in the 2nd half or between 20-26. So most of the work is also balancing things out.

I’m also not a fan of C. Björkman but sometimes I just don’t get it what certain fans actually want. Like you can’t please everyone…

Talking about :ua: they had very good spots in the running order most of the time in previous years. They just won two years ago. They can’t really host it anyway. The song this year is very much overhyped in my opinion. A lot of televoting support is based on diaspora/ refugee support. They will vote for it anyway.

And once again who would have been the ideal #2 in your opinion?

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am genuinely surprised that Sertab's performance has been shaking the Turkish media today. I did not see it coming at all but apparently everyone has been aching Turkey to be somewhat Eurovision relevant again. I feel so sad that this has been taken away for so long because of wrong politic decisions, but seeing people still loving and caring for Eurovision is so wholesome.

HayashiM

Veteran
So which countries are „privileged“ in your opinion?
None, because no countries are "privileged". The privileged countries however are: the Nordics, most importantly Sweden, Norway and Finland. To a smaller extent, the whole of Western Europe. (But honestly, I don't understand why I have to repeat myself, it's quite clear from my previous post already).
And which country should have gotten #2 this year?
Honestly, I don't care, but it should have been a western European country. Which would still leave the producers with 7 options out of those who didn't draw the 2nd half (9 if you consider doing it to Portugal or Spain again).

han-g

One of my best friends is jewish, but she's also anti-zionist. Love talking to her because of that. I give her ESC infodumping lol.

(she's american, it's israeli's whom people don't like atm)
It shouldn't even be Israelis, just the government. If we don't blame the average Palestinian for hamas and those Palestinians who watched on and cheered the 7th October, then we shouldn't blame the average Israeli for the actions of their government, the Idf and a few other including settlers and those who try to interrupt aid workers.

aef

None, because no countries are "privileged". The privileged countries however are: the Nordics, most importantly Sweden, Norway and Finland. To a smaller extent, the whole of Western Europe. (But honestly, I don't understand why I have to repeat myself, it's quite clear from my previous post already).

Honestly, I don't care, but it should have been a western European country. Which would still leave the producers with 7 options out of those who didn't draw the 2nd half (9 if you consider doing it to Portugal or Spain again).
Haha ok that Eastern vs. Western Europe talking is quite ridiculous tbh. See :hr: as a more Eastern Europe country has got a banger this year and they have a very good spot in the running order. :ua: had very good spots in the past. :am: and :lt: had had good spots, :am: also does this year. And so on…

HayashiM

Veteran
Haha ok that Eastern vs. Western Europe talking is quite ridiculous tbh. See :hr: as a more Eastern Europe country has got a banger this year and they have a very good spot in the running order. :ua: had very good spots in the past. :am: and :lt: had had good spots, :am: also does this year. And so on…

My point is about a general trend - it doesn't matter if you throw a bone to second class citizens here and there, my point is about the producers always throwing it to the first class citizens (and even more precisely, never giving them the boot). It's a perfectly valid point.

Anyway, people are and will be in denial about this, so I will rather stop here.

Gitte

It shouldn't even be Israelis, just the government. If we don't blame the average Palestinian for hamas and those Palestinians who watched on and cheered the 7th October, then we shouldn't blame the average Israeli for the actions of their government, the Idf and a few other including settlers and those who try to interrupt aid workers.
Isn't military service obligatory in Israel? If yes, then every adult Israeli is/was part of the military at some point, right? The military, the IDF, that commits all the atrocities? Therefore, every adult Israeli is complicit?

han-g

Isn't military service obligatory in Israel? If yes, then every adult Israeli is/was part of the military at some point, right? The military, the IDF, that commits all the atrocities? Therefore, every adult Israeli is complicit?
The key word here is obligatory, most will not see much if any action during that time and the focus will be on training them in case Israel is ever invaded, a threat Israel has faced many times and is still a little concerned over. I do not think anyone is complicit when it is something they have no choice in, and most will also never return to.

Navn Navnes

Most israeois voted for politicians commiting these war crimes, and many still support the war, no matter how many innocent civilians who gets killed. They should not get blamed directly, legaly speaking, but it is not like the population has done nothing to support this.

Grinch

Europapa before Israel. Knew they would pair these two together. But honestly, what do they think? Israel coming after Europapa is only hurting Europapa and helping Israel.
Enemies to lovers trope xheat

Top Bottom