Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
The rehearsal Looks like we got everything I didn’t wish for. Hand choreo, emphasize on 0003, not funny, just cool and confusing.

maybe, just maybe they start with the office scene, and then sudden dress reveal and dance-along. Last straw of hope.

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe, just maybe they start with the office scene, and then sudden dress reveal and dance-along. Last straw of hope.
I think it is not all that bad, but definitely underwhelming for the potential of the song.

Ezio

Veteran
I think it is not all that bad, but definitely underwhelming for the potential of the song.
Esc Kompakt panel except for one thinks that Austria looks and sounds great and it’s only disappointing to those who are hooked on the video, which is not the case for most viewers at home. Benny was positively surprised, Douze Points negatively and Berenike said it still works.

people were suddenly underestimating Netta, Blanche and Duncan Lawrence.

however, it’s not my vision at all and I have doubts it’s the correct staging for this kind of Song.

Still listening to their cast, Berenike argues that Germany and Austria are used to being flops and thus negatively preoccupied, and she is very happy that Austria doesn’t look and sound like a flop at all.

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Esc Kompakt panel except for one thinks that Austria looks and sounds great and it’s only disappointing to those who are hooked on the video, which is not the case for most viewers at home. Benny was positively surprised, Douze Points negatively and Berenike said it still works.

people were suddenly underestimating Netta, Blanche and Duncan Lawrence.

however, it’s not my vision at all and I have doubts it’s the correct staging for this kind of Song.

Still listening to their cast, Berenike argues that Germany and Austria are used to being flops and thus negatively preoccupied, and she is very happy that Austria doesn’t look and sound like a flop at all.
I thought Teya and Salena give off such impression because they are clearly tired and that is why it feels like the performance doesn't meet the expectations. Checking their other performances, they are more lively and energetic there than in that snippet. It could as well be because of lack of sleep. I am still positive that, based on what I had watched until today, it will translate much better on the TVs when we watch it next week. Hopefully they will be able to rest as much as they need and it will levitate the performance.

Ezio

Veteran
I thought Teya and Salena give off such impression because they are clearly tired and that is why it feels like the performance doesn't meet the expectations. Checking their other performances, they are more lively and energetic there than in that snippet. It could as well be because of lack of sleep. I am still positive that, based on what I had watched until today, it will translate much better on the TVs when we watch it next week. Hopefully they will be able to rest as much as they need and it will levitate the performance.
Käärijää complained about lack of sleep because in front of his hotel window is a construction site that pisses him off. I think it’s crazy that in Eurovision week with the highest hotel fares Liverpool allows jackhammers to be unpacked and put in use. Maybe other delegations and Austria are in the same hotel.

I hope the girls can recover now and let loose. They also seem to be anxious to hear from the fans and might feel more pressure now than before when it was all milk and honey.

midnightsun

Veteran
I don’t think the rehearsal was too bad. But then I didn’t have high expectations to begin with; I never thought it could win the semi let alone the whole contest. It was pretty clear they can‘t reproduce the video and if they try to, they need so much energy they are out of breath (like in the rehearsal). But they need to dance more like in the video.
However I think it is far from not qualifying, it was one of the better rehearsals today in my opinion and I liked it.

Chorizo

I expected the staging to be fun and dynamic, like the music video, but the rehearsal footage looks tragically static. When they should have danced, they opted for slow-paced walking. I’m not surprised by the decline in the odds at all.

They did everything right with the music video, but now they are trying to be slick instead of fun and they walk to a song they should be dancing to. Probably they want to appeal to the juries this way, but I’m just getting Halo vibes now. Didn’t the ORF learn anything from last year? Was there a completely different creative team behind the music video?

I understand that they are not showing the best part in the rehearsal clip and that other parts of the song might be staged more dynamically, but for now I’m severely underwhelmed by an entry that had gotten me really excited based on the music video. The live performance will surely be much better than Halo last year, but I think Austria might not do as well as previously expected.

Ezio

Veteran
Teya and Salena are no Chanel who could dance like on fire for 3 minutes and still sing. Actually they sound kinda breathless in the clip, so they probably danced quite a bit before that, as in the video.

Anyways, Goodbye Top 10, Hello Top 20.

marty

Back from sleeping I am on the positive side again (as usual). The scenes with the big shots of the dancers on the led screen will look better and at the end of the song when EA Poe is talking that will probably look great too and be fun. I hope the dancers will be closer to Teya and Salena in one of the choruses and dance together with them. I expected this at the last chorus. Marvin Dietmann is very good in the small things like the facial expression and the gesture. I think in the live shows (also stimulated by the audience) they will show us how much fun they have. I didnt want the video transfered to the stage, this would have been an impossible task, I wanted a cool show with one or two fun moments. I guess thats what we will get. And its true, even the Germans dont complain too much about the Austrian entry, thats a good sign ;) (Douze Points badmouths the Austrian entry each year)

Lindon

Watching the clip again today with my sister and niece (we will watch the GF together this year) I have to say that the excerpt says absolutely nothing. Yesterday the 29 seconds seemed like forever (like in slow motion) and today I was like "What? That's it?". During the first rehearsal, the ORF only filmed with one camera from the side and recorded the hall sound, despite of that there came across a lot of power and dynamics. I overreacted like I always do.

marty

Watching the clip again today with my sister and niece (we will watch the GF together this year) I have to say that the excerpt says absolutely nothing. Yesterday the 29 seconds seemed like forever (like in slow motion) and today I was like "What? That's it?". During the first rehearsal, the ORF only filmed with one camera from the side and recorded the hall sound, despite of that there came across a lot of power and dynamics. I overreacted like I always do.
I still dont understand why in the most dynamic part of the song they walk that slowly to the front of the stage. they promised us a lot of dancing, so there must be more dynamic in the other parts. Maybe they hired Crystal Ball as advisor and wanted to lower our expections with the least dynamic part of the song. ;)

aef

Yeah I mean I’m still rather optimistic but final part of the song MUST be performed with dancing elements, just like st the Dancing Stars performance do that the audience can dance with them.

I‘m really curious how much real dance moves there will be in the other parts of the performance. If they only have the backing dancers there for dancing then it would be a real pitty. And then they should be more visible with more close ups.

marty

Yeah I mean I’m still rather optimistic but final part of the song MUST be performed with dancing elements, just like st the Dancing Stars performance do that the audience can dance with them.

I‘m really curious how much real dance moves there will be in the other parts of the performance. If they only have the backing dancers there for dancing then it would be a real pitty. And then they should be more visible with more close ups.
You can see in the photos with the white and black background that Teya and Salena are dancing. I think that will be the second chorus and it will look good.

Jiggler

I still dont understand why in the most dynamic part of the song they walk that slowly to the front of the stage. they promised us a lot of dancing, so there must be more dynamic in the other parts. Maybe they hired Crystal Ball as advisor and wanted to lower our expections with the least dynamic part of the song. ;)
But that isn't the most dynamic part. it's the bridge and the first hald of the finale coming out of the bridge. they walk foward for the finale. It'll be fine.

People are acting as if there is suddenly a danger of them NQ lol.

aef

The final part of the song should be more or less staged like in the video:

- Teya and Salena standing back on back and the camera moving around them
- then change to dance moves

Yes it’s true it’s quite ridiculous if there are dance moves and movement in general before but not at the strongest part at the end.

crashworld

Veteran
The disappointment is understandable. I mean the hype is REAL even after we heard them live and there is really a potential for Austria to do really well. Of course, they are definitely qualifying, but I think they are out of contention for the win.
It's now looking at top 10 at best (which is still good but just doesn't live up to the initial expectations).

Top Bottom