Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
All this sudden pessimism is just a consequence of being let down last year.
No, it’s a consequence of German bullying for centuries.

Ezio

Veteran
Does anyone think we have a shot at a Marcel Bezençon award? The girls wrote the song themselves.

But I think they will throw them at Gustafsson and Boström

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Australia is chipping away from our lead in the semi by the minute. I hope we still win it to have a better running order in the GF

Ezio

Veteran
ESC Tom loves it

His only recommendation for the girls: be more bossy and take one or two drinks before the stage.

Ezio

Veteran
Down to 10th now. It's a pity how the momentum collapsed in rehearsal week. I could absolutely see, how Germany, Australia and Slovenia surpass us in the scoreboard. At least it collapsed later than last year, and the final is in reach.

I hope we don't earn a reputation as fan favourite flop factory of Eurovision. If this and last season were too expensive, Austria might try something more demure next year.

In many comments people say that the snippet is a weird choice, because it doesn't represent the song well enough. Maybe it was on purpose to lower the bar and the pressure, and then have a strong comeback on Thursday?

Last edited:

SpiritofKeiino

Down to 10th now. It's a pity how the momentum collapsed in rehearsal week. I could absolutely see, how Germany, Australia and Slovenia surpass us in the scoreboard. At least it collapsed later than last year, and the final is in reach.

I hope we don't earn a reputation as fan favourite flop factory of Eurovision. If this and last season were too expensive, Austria might try something more demure next year.
Yep it does seem like momentum has slowed. Is it because people were expecting them to bring elements of the music video to the stage, which hasn't really happened - so other entries are taking the limelight off Austria?

JenJen94

In many comments people say that the snippet is a weird choice, because it doesn't represent the song well enough. Maybe it was on purpose to lower the bar and the pressure, and then have a strong comeback on Thursday?

Oh that's a real shame! My semi 2 winners if I'm honest. Like you said, I really hope this does not become a fan flop/earn that reputation-its a catchy tune with genius lyrics and it's good fun!

I still think this will qualify, for sure. And if so, it does well in the final.

Ezio

Veteran
Yep it does seem like momentum has slowed. Is it because people were expecting them to bring elements of the music video to the stage, which hasn't really happened - so other entries are taking the limelight off Austria?
The bubble is an animal on its own. But until the actual semis didn't take place, we know nothing. Some songs are now hilariously overrated, just because of these yasss queen slayy moments, that end up nowhere ultimately, or countries like Albania and Lithuania, which would serve as fillers at best.

If entries could take the limelight then it's absolutely all these rock entries. People love these! And Finland was known before, Austria never got passed Finland in any vote, but now it looks like Australia and Germany are also up there.

Still 3rd place on Eurovision Scoreboard app though.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Oh that's a real shame! My semi 2 winners if I'm honest. Like you said, I really hope this does not become a fan flop/earn that reputation-its a catchy tune with genius lyrics and it's good fun!

I still think this will qualify, for sure. And if so, it does well in the final.
I am following Eurovision since 1990 as a boy, and in my perception, Austria was mostly overly ambitious, but got shunned anyway, or didn't give a shit, because they were disappointed from previous years. That is also where my personal negativity comes from.

There are so many songs of us, that were shoved aside in the final voting and I still don't understand why. First of all, I don't understand why Austria didn't win in 1989 and was shunned by so many juries, still we reached 5th place but it feels like a flop compared to those countries which finished higher, and the winner was terrible.

1990, 1991 (last place with a wonderful song), 1992, followed by a shit era until 1997, then 1999/2000 shunned again, 2003-2007 shit era, 2011 back with ambition that didn't pay off, followed by shit songs 2012/13, 2014 pulling out, but Conchita Management wanted Eurovision so bad, so ORF said yes, and then again, zero points from televotes on three occasions, Zoe underrated as well, then Simphonix showed up for a one-off which went very well, Vincent Bueno represented another couple of "we don't care anymore" years, and then the sucker punch in 2022, and maybe another this year, even if we reach the final. It's psychologically detrimental to expose yourself to this, and yet we do as Austrians.

I really think that Austria needs better relations to its neighbours, particularly Germany, Switzerland, Czechia and Slovenia. We have so much in common, but we always love to annoy each other. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland love each other, we don't. Italy doesn't even know we are their neighbour.

The common pre-show is a good start. Hope that good things follow.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
First of all, I don't understand why Austria didn't win in 1989

I‘m with you here. My 2nd favourite Austrian entry ever. :love:

I agree with you about Austrian songs pre 2010 but after that… you had some ups and downs, like us Germans, but the quality was varying. At least you had Conchita & Cesar, much better entries than Lena & Michael Schulte, to compare the two most successful acts.

Yes to neighborhood :ROFLMAO: we used to do that but I don’t know at which point we didn’t anymore. We won’t get points from Mallorca Spain anymore as well. Or the 1 pity point from Malta a couple of times.Good old times.

SpiritofKeiino

I was surprised at Loin D'Ici's performance in the final, I thought it would do much better than it did. Good song, loved the French touch, liked Zoe (although her involvement with that San Marino NF is best forgotten)

Ezio

Veteran
I was surprised at Loin D'Ici's performance in the final, I thought it would do much better than it did. Good song, loved the French touch, liked Zoe (although her involvement with that San Marino NF is best forgotten)
I thought so, too, but I guess her performance was also too static. She had treadmills in the national finals. Also the dancebeat didn't help with juries, the classical album version might have helped. But 120 points from televotes for this song that was loved and praised so much before, felt too litte. 2016 wasn't such a great year after all and yet she only finished 13th behind some questionable songs.

As I said, Austria needs to liaise more with their neighbours first and foremost, show Slovenia and Czechia some love also, skip those pre-partys but book their own TV appearances and also invite other competitors home. Why not have at "Carpe diem" at Dancing Stars, also? Show hospitality and get loved in return. Getting points for the merits of a song is not granted.

mauve

Veteran
I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed about the staging, but I still love the song very much and hope that it does well. There is absolutely no question about the qualification, but I want the song to be successful in the GF as well. I hope that the girls will give all their energy and charisma they have and make up for the lack of staging!

lasse braun

my vote is a :5:.
the song is ok but in funny things miles away from finland.
the bubble like it a lot but outside the bubble?
the staging is in my opinium not very well - a FFF is good possible here.

hungo

Once again looking at the snippet I cant believe how someone can stage the 0.003 part like this. There is absolutely no idea behind it. This is one of the crucial parts of the song. Visually it should be more dynamic. There is only the same camera slowly moving. The performance will be good in total no doubt. But with a little more effort this could still be one of the potential winners. I am very disappointed.

• Like It
Reactions: aef

Chorizo

I am following Eurovision since 1990 as a boy, and in my perception, Austria was mostly overly ambitious, but got shunned anyway, or didn't give a shit, because they were disappointed from previous years. That is also where my personal negativity comes from.

There are so many songs of us, that were shoved aside in the final voting and I still don't understand why. First of all, I don't understand why Austria didn't win in 1989 and was shunned by so many juries, still we reached 5th place but it feels like a flop compared to those countries which finished higher, and the winner was terrible.

1990, 1991 (last place with a wonderful song), 1992, followed by a shit era until 1997, then 1999/2000 shunned again, 2003-2007 shit era, 2011 back with ambition that didn't pay off, followed by shit songs 2012/13, 2014 pulling out, but Conchita Management wanted Eurovision so bad, so ORF said yes, and then again, zero points from televotes on three occasions, Zoe underrated as well, then Simphonix showed up for a one-off which went very well, Vincent Bueno represented another couple of "we don't care anymore" years, and then the sucker punch in 2022, and maybe another this year, even if we reach the final. It's psychologically detrimental to expose yourself to this, and yet we do as Austrians.

I really think that Austria needs better relations to its neighbours, particularly Germany, Switzerland, Czechia and Slovenia. We have so much in common, but we always love to annoy each other. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland love each other, we don't. Italy doesn't even know we are their neighbour.

The common pre-show is a good start. Hope that good things follow.
Our participation in the year 2000 was all about politics. Back then, Austria was sanctioned by the EU because the FPÖ had entered the federal government for the first time and demonized as racist. I think that’s the very reason why the ORF chose the Rounder Girls to represent Austria that year. They wanted to have two black girls on stage to send a political message and I think Austria was shunned in the voting for political reasons and not because of the song.

Of course, times have changed and the policies that caused a big stir 23 years ago are now the political mainstream across Europe (with Germany probably being the only exception). Nobody would care about the FPÖ anymore. Austria was just ahead of the time and punished by the stragglers for leading the way.

In 2014, we were finally rewarded for being avant-garde. Our time to prevail will come again.

Ezio

Veteran
Our participation in the year 2000 was all about politics. Back then, Austria was sanctioned by the EU because the FPÖ had entered the federal government for the first time and demonized as racist. I think that’s the very reason why the ORF chose the Rounder Girls to represent Austria that year. They wanted to have two black girls on stage to send a political message and I think Austria was shunned in the voting for political reasons and not because of the song.

Of course, times have changed and the policies that caused a big stir 23 years ago are now the political mainstream across Europe (with Germany probably being the only exception). Nobody would care about the FPÖ anymore. Austria was just ahead of the time and punished by the stragglers for leading the way.

In 2014, we were finally rewarded for being avant-garde. Our time to prevail will come again.
2000 was particularly hard to swallow on so many levels.

The first year of a new millennium and we got this shit government, who cancelled my favourite chancellor, Viktor Klima (love!), and then we had this absolutely amazing song for Eurovision that finished so low with it.

I remember Stefan Raab in taff! saying, that his favourites were the Rounder Girls.

Chorizo

2000 was particularly hard to swallow on so many levels.

The first year of a new millennium and we got this shit government, who cancelled my favourite chancellor, Viktor Klima (love!), and then we had this absolutely amazing song for Eurovision that finished so low with it.

I remember Stefan Raab in taff! saying, that his favourites were the Rounder Girls.
If it’s any consolation, it was actually the last year of the 20th century. There is no year 0. The first year is AD 1. Pop-cultural grouping of decades notwithstanding, the third millennium therefore started only in 2001.

I agree that we deserved a much better result that year.

Top Bottom