Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

aef

Disagree. Works perfect in an "Eurovision environment". Look at 1:47
They are doing this „okay gesture“ for zero right? Or at least something quite similar to it… isn’t this gesture also used for „white power“? Hm well I also don’t like the gesture anyway. I don’t know how ro describe it but I hate it when there is some kind of artificially added move/ gesture… a dance good choreo is something different, certain moves/ gestures can be rather off-putting though. But maybe this is just me, hahaha

Ezio

Veteran
Disagree. Works perfect in an "Eurovision environment". Look at 1:47
I didn’t refer to the Fan bubble which overanalyzed the lyrics beforehand

Ezio

Veteran
They are doing this „okay gesture“ for zero right? Or at least something quite similar to it… isn’t this gesture also used for „white power“? Hm well I also don’t like the gesture anyway. I don’t know how ro describe it but I hate it when there is some kind of artificially added move/ gesture… a dance good choreo is something different, certain moves/ gestures can be rather off-putting though. But maybe this is just me, hahaha
The OK gesture also means asshole in Greek sign language. It’s just a silly move and needs to be ditched. I need an experience like with the Video that I enjoy from start to Finnish :fi:

Sammy

Veteran
The Ok-gesture means OK in many countries and has a different meaning in others. I think people are smart enough to understand its intended meaning. Whoever wants to take the wrong meaning to enjoy „being offended“ is free to do so.
Lady Gaga did the gesture a million times in videos and on stage. Nodody thought she wanted to look into an asshole.
During all of my scuba-dives no one (not even in Greece) asked to change the sign or not to make it.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
That was a sidenote, the handgestures are just pointless and confusing. Nobody at home will understand why zeros and threes are displayed, or OK / asshole signs and victory signs or whatever signs for that matter.

The song should rely on being catchy and fun and not try to explain their lyrics.

Our entry is already handicapped from the get-go, because it is funny and catchy, but also clever with a deeper meaning. Superfans have a deeper connection to this song through the lyrics, while viewers at home, who may pay attention to the lyrics could be lost. It's like on Drag Race, when the queen has to explain their dress, she has already lost. So, I wouldn't go down the route with the streaming services don't pay enough. focus on the ghostwriter theme, which is accessible and funny, don't try to explain the streaming services revenue.

MopManMoss

Veteran
The ok gesture being about white power was started by 4chan to make people look like idiots and cause issues it has no basis in reality or history

aef

The ok gesture being about white power was started by 4chan to make people look like idiots and cause issues it has no basis in reality or history
Yeah well I don’t really know about the history of that interpretation but as I said I’m not a big fan of using such gestures anyway at Eurovision. They could always have various meanings in different cultures…

MopManMoss

Veteran
Yeah well I don’t really know about the history about that interpretation but I said I’m not a big fan of using such gestures anyway at Eurovision. The could always have various meanings in different cultures…
Im just saying that 99.9% of people dont see it as a gesutre of white supremacy only terminally online Americans do, I really would not worry about it

marty

“Oh, it’s Not me, it’s Edgar„ sounds very friendly in the studio but rather annoyed in the live.

I also wouldn’t stress the 0.03 bridge with Hand signs or graphics, because people will be confused. Just sing it well and be done with it.
I dont think your wish will be fulfilled. Quite sure they will use at least graphics, maybe not the hand signs. I think that part can be staged quite impressive.

hungo

That was a sidenote, the handgestures are just pointless and confusing. Nobody at home will understand why zeros and threes are displayed, or OK / asshole signs and victory signs or whatever signs for that matter.

The song should rely on being catchy and fun and not try to explain their lyrics.

Our entry is already handicapped from the get-go, because it is funny and catchy, but also clever with a deeper meaning. Superfans have a deeper connection to this song through the lyrics, while viewers at home, who may pay attention to the lyrics could be lost. It's like on Drag Race, when the queen has to explain their dress, she has already lost. So, I wouldn't go down the route with the streaming services don't pay enough. focus on the ghostwriter theme, which is accessible and funny, don't try to explain the streaming services revenue.
The 0.003 part is the only part that can be explained easily. Sure they will put the number on the screens. They jury members get the lyrics explained, the televoters dont care about lyrics.

Sammy

Veteran
I‘m sure commentators will explain the 0.003-part. They need such information badly to fill the time of the postcards.

crashworld

Veteran
For the TV performance, they sound great, so no worries there. But I am just worried about the energy level. They need to do something about it to hype up the performance, which I hope the ESC staging will help to do that. Because for such a fun song, they are giving us borderline "go girl, give us nothing" vibe.

Lindon

The Ok-gesture means OK in many countries and has a different meaning in others. I think people are smart enough to understand its intended meaning. Whoever wants to take the wrong meaning to enjoy „being offended“ is free to do so.
Lady Gaga did the gesture a million times in videos and on stage. Nodody thought she wanted to look into an asshole.
During all of my scuba-dives no one (not even in Greece) asked to change the sign or not to make it.
I'll tell you a little true anecdote. Many, many years ago, an Austrian business delegation visited Washington. After an apparently successful meeting, the delegation was photographed with this hand gesture. The American reaction described followed, whereupon the Austrian embassy issued an official statement that went something like this: "In our country, this hand gesture means 'ok'. We use other fingers for the purpose you describe."

Ezio

Veteran
The intercultural awareness is so typically Austrian. We do what we want and we do it with pride.

Sammy

Veteran
I'll tell you a little true anecdote. Many, many years ago, an Austrian business delegation visited Washington. After an apparently successful meeting, the delegation was photographed with this hand gesture. The American reaction described followed, whereupon the Austrian embassy issued an official statement that went something like this: "In our country, this hand gesture means 'ok'. We use other fingers for the purpose you describe."
Stories that start with „a true anecdote“ are very rarely true, but thank you for sharing. It‘s a very amusing one.:lol: Where did you get it from?

boyardor

It´s great song and great artists :12: points and my 2nd place

Lindon

Stories that start with „a true anecdote“ are very rarely true, but thank you for sharing. It‘s a very amusing one.:lol: Where did you get it from?
It really is true. I don't remember exactly when it was. It must have been in the late 80s or early 90s before internet was truly a thing and before the EU. It was widely reported in Austrian newspapers at the time.

Top Bottom