Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

simori95

First of all, people were claiming, Cesar wouldn't survive the bloodbath in semi 1, and yet he did. Then they were complaining it was pure jury bait, when in fact he got the same score as Israel in the semi, and got 246 points less than Israel in the GF with Israel perfoming 17 slots later than him. In any case, the success was doubted beforehand, and belittled afterwards, and by whom? Germanizers, mostly.

And then, it's funny how Germans always come to talk down on our entries, I mean, literally, every year, and yet Austria is the country with better results since 2014. I mean, even if we didn't qualify, there is no way, that Paenda, Vincent Bueno or Halo would have made the German zero points go away. It's not a level playing field between us, but German failures speak for themselves. I am just not having Germans projecting their frustrations on us. We have our own with this competition, and if you want to shut me up, good luck trying, dear neighbours.

Paenda was not shit, Halo wasn't shit. The German act 2020 sang way worse than them. Of course, Paenda ruined the song herself by letting her nerves get the best of her, but Halo wasn't ruined by Pia, it was ruined by the lackluster staging.

As a matter of a fact, we are underdogs, trying something different every year, and having a semi with one more country to perform, and with lots of competitors who usually don't vote for us. In a close disqualification for the Finals, this could be the difference. I can't wait how this is gonna turn out. Don't tell me afterwards, I was not ready.

Televoting-only semifinals can make us leave the competition in the long run. That's not petty, that's just fair. Luckily for this year, the big voting blocs on the Balkan and with Russia are kinda broken up, but that's not set in stone going forward.

At least ESC United is not as bad as Esc-kompakt, where I am glady not registered. The Austrian subforums are always full of contempt.
May I ask you to clarify if my message to you was perceived as talking down César or Austria in general, just now? If so, I am afraid you misunderstood the point I wanted to make. My point was that there is no inherent disadvantage for good austrian songs (if the whole package is also good). It was not „Austria only sends crap to Eurovision“. In fact, I like Cesar quite a lot, Amen was my number 5 of the year, Nathan was in my Top 10 etc. To my knowledge, I haven’t talked down any Austrian act, ever. I know i was a bit harsh with my wording about Edgar Allan Poe, but that was meant to be cheeky rather than serious plus I did say it could be either terrible or very good after having seen the snippet, it remains to be seen. So can we please stop the pretense that all germans do nothing but talk down austrian entries? Diaspora Voting etc. exists, it’s also true that Austria doesn’t have a lot of that. A SLIGHT disadvantage in the First half also exists, so your points aren’t even wrong, just the conclusion. The fact that these exist still doesn’t mean that austrian entries will for sure be robbed if they are in the first half and they don’t have Germany and Switzerland in their semi. Unless the entry in itself is a borderline qualifier, it will not have an impact on qualification. And in the final, it might have an impact of a few places up or down but it won’t suddenly transform a Top 5 Material song to a 23rd place.

Datura

My impression is that if austria sends something really good (which rarely happens and i say that as an austrian myself) we do well. I cant remember a single entry since we returned that did worse than deserved imo (maybe the makemakes but i wouldnt have voted for them myself. It was an ok song but no reason to pick up the phone, so there's that).
a lot of our entries simply werent good or convincing and yes when we send something uninspired, unexciting & mediocre its no surpise that we score badly. Good if we "try something different" but there has hardly been anything really good. IMO

And in addition, yes, i KIND OF agree though that (only) in this case it might be a bit harder than it probably is for a few other countries to collect votes (we know that eg serbia or croatia will pretty much automatically get at least a few televoting points from countries like austria even if the song is mediocre because a lot of people with serbian or croatian roots live here, no denying that.)

Still, overall i think it doesnt make that much of a difference and it comes down to the song and Performance and a great song will do well even from a "bad" / early position.

(Oh and about lumix: i think the Bad staging was indeed worse than pias (bad) vocals)

Ezio

Veteran
I watch Eurovision since 1990 and I think we got a helluva undeserved flops,

Nadine Beiler 2011 not in Top 10, behind Russia, Romania etc, Zoe 2016 not in Top 10, Rounder Girls 2000 not in Top 10, Simone 1990 and Tony Wegas 1992 not in Top 5, Thomas Forstner 1989 not winning, Thomas Forstner 1991 zero points. I can’t wrap my head around these results.

Makemakes 2015 may not have been a song that makes you wanna pick up a phone but it shouldn’t have placed behind all these drab songs that year. Granted the ESC performance also kinda sucked compared to NF.

Halo 2022 was a big miss, especially since Iceland and Switzerland didn’t get the party started at all instead of us. But the performance was so dark, and stiff and sad. I expected more after the music video.

i am actually madder that Portugal 2019 flopped or Italy didn’t win in 2015

Running order matters https://youtu.be/VylXU1ZpS-c

Ezio

Veteran
I hate this guy, he has his fingers everywhere, he is basically a Eurovision influencer and trashed our song last year

Datura

I'm not sure if this was already written but William from Wiwibloggs said in their new video that he was in the Austrian jury and he selected the song, too. It seems that the song is good. He says the song is "absolutely crazy".
or that it was the most interesting / unusual in a bunch of uneventful songs.

• Say Yay
Reactions: aef

Lindon

A
or that it was the most interesting / unusual in a bunch of uneventful songs.
Would it then be an ABSOLUTELY crazy song?

Datura

I watch Eurovision since 1990 and I think we got a helluva undeserved flops,

Nadine Beiler 2011 not in Top 10, behind Russia, Romania etc, Zoe 2016 not in Top 10, Rounder Girls 2000 not in Top 10, Simone 1990 and Tony Wegas 1992 not in Top 5, Thomas Forstner 1989 not winning, Thomas Forstner 1991 zero points. I can’t wrap my head around these results.

Makemakes 2015 may not have been a song that makes you wanna pick up a phone but it shouldn’t have placed behind all these drab songs that year. Granted the ESC performance also kinda sucked compared to NF.

Halo 2022 was a big miss, especially since Iceland and Switzerland didn’t get the party started at all instead of us. But the performance was so dark, and stiff and sad. I expected more after the music video.

i am actually madder that Portugal 2019 flopped or Italy didn’t win in 2015

Running order matters https://youtu.be/VylXU1ZpS-c
in my personal opinion Nadine Beiler did not deserve to be anywhere near the top10, the song was / is horribly dated and (although she is a great singer) i don't like her voice.
i liked simone and rounder girls better than their placing and "Venedig im regen" was one of my faves of 1991.

Last edited:

Datura

A

Would it then be an ABSOLUTELY crazy song?
ure probably right :D but there are different kinds of crazy thats what i mean, i see why they picked it but that doesnt necessarily make it a good song. but entertaining i guess and it might serve the purpose

Lindon

Over the past few years, I've got the impression that the various delegations have grown fearful of his judgments and his impact on fandom. On the surface he is almost always positive, but he is a master at clearly communicating between the lines what he really doesn't like.

aef

When will Countries stop giving him a Platform?
Well no matter if someone likes Wiwibloggs or not, it is the most relevant Eurovision blog/channel for fans...

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're only the most relevant one because broadcasters and such continue to feed their platform while starving just about any other platform that exists. They get a lot of special treatment and extra access, no other really gets that.

Deleted member 12761

I like Wiwibloggs. They're entertaining. When it comes to their opinions tho, William is the only one of them who I take serious. Deban should be kept away from every NF jury. His opinions are the worst and what is even worse there are many artists who watch their videos. Deban can be very rude.

I'm optimistic about the song after what William said.

Datura

talking about wiwibloggs: their reaction videos drive me mad, they instantly start talking as soon as the song starts and comment on every little thing there is NO WAY the can really take in the music, very superficial. i stopped watching them it makes me really angry.
but i think william is overall quite entertaining and well spoken, so i kind of get why he has a name in the esc bubble and gets invited to those shows. good for him. i think if we got the chance to do what he does we'd all take it.
there are other guys at wiwibloggs (i will not name them) that i cannot bare AT ALL, attention seekers with no feelings for music just SLAAAY and YAASSS

ESC94

talking about wiwibloggs: their reaction videos drive me mad, they instantly start talking as soon as the song starts and comment on every little thing there is NO WAY the can really take in the music, very superficial. i stopped watching them it makes me really angry.
but i think william is overall quite entertaining and well spoken, so i kind of get why he has a name in the esc bubble and gets invited to those shows. good for him. i think if we got the chance to do what he does we'd all take it.
there are other guys at wiwibloggs (i will not name them) that i cannot bare AT ALL, attention seekers with no feelings for music just SLAAAY and YAASSS

Oh gosh, everytime one of them says "YES HONEEEY" I just wanna smash my head against a wall. xwall

Top Bottom