Pacific States 🌊 WV 190: Allie X - Black Eye

Marcos C

kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ⦁ California ⦁ Hawai'i ⦁ Oregon ⦁ Washington

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV56 - Pick Me A Dude! NF - Mikal Cronin V.S. Ariel Pink (Page 5)

Pacific States WV56 - Ariel Pink - Put Your Number In My Phone​

ariel-pink-pics.jpg

You picked Ariel Pink's psych-pop gem "Put Your Number In My Phone" as my Pacific debut, and i'm very happy you've done so. After I was awarded with a PQ for the voting error that cost Yoko & Antony a place in the final, I just knew I wanted Ariel as my automatic qualifier. Mikal Cronin I at least felt had a fighting chance of reaching the final under normal circumstances, whereas Mr Pink's eccentricity could be a wall for many.

This was the year I went crazy for Ariel Pink. I did own a couple of his ep's prior to my little obsession but it was hearing his late 2014 release "Pom Pom" that really got me hooked, and wanting to delve into his rich back catalogue of weird and wonderful stuff.

Ariel was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Throughout the 90's and early 00's Ariel had amassed hundreds of lo-fi bedroom recordings. In 2003 he passed on a CD-R of his music to the experimental pop band Animal Collective. He became the first non-Animal Collective musician to sign to the label Paw Tracks. They released fan favourite "The Doldrums", an album Ariel had originally recorded back in 1999, as well as the albums "Worn Copy" and "House Arrest". Pink at first would perform his songs at concerts with a karaoke style backing track, before eventually attracting musicians to form a band with him that would be known as Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. In 2009 the band signed to the iconic label 4AD and this is when things started to really explode. The band released the albums "Before Today" and "Mature Themes" which were huge departures from Ariel's previous super lo-fi, DIY recordings, but still were very much uniquely his. No longer did the songs sound like they were recorded underwater with a tin can. This was perhaps an unwelcome departure in sound for his cult following who were charmed by the cruddy aesthetic of his previous works. There was still enough lo-fi spirit and general weirdness to go round though.

Then came "Pom Pom", Ariel's epic late 2014 release. A totally bizarre sweet shop of different sounds. A few of the tracks were penned by colourful record producer and musician Kim Fowley, whilst on his deathbed. Ariel would visit him and he'd come out with all these lyrics that Pink would put to music.

"Put Your Number In My Phone" was the albums lead single and also the song I of course shall be sharing with WV this edition. This is my go to track for when I just want to feel good. Even after hundreds of plays I still just can't get enough of it's magic. So whimsical and charming, and the music video has got to be one of my favourites ever. Ariel in his wonderful teal fluffy jacket and cowboy hat, cruising the mall with his gas masked friend in a wheelchair, looking for girls to make conversation with. It's beyond awkward and hypnagogic (word of the day), yet somehow comforting.

There's magic in the air
The night sky drapes your face
Like a mystery left uncovered
Talk to me, it's now or never, babe
Make believe, the night last forever, babe
Come for tea, I'll be your neighbor
If you want all this and more

Put your number in my phone
I hope to get sometime alone
I wanna get to know you more, baby
If I could get sometime alone

'cause what would tame this gypsy heart
But fruits from fresh on vine
Your luscious lips entice me to discover

Talk to me, I'll be your butterfly
Hard to me, I'm not the zion
Save me, spare us both the denial
Most of this true love

I wanna get to know you more, baby
If I could get some time alone

Hey Ariel, it's Jessica
We met at the taco truck in Silverlake
And I don't know if you're like really busy or something
But I haven't heard back from you
And I was just wondering like, if you could

Talk to me, it's now or never, babe
Make believe, under the zion
Come for tea, I'll be your neighbor

If you want all this and more
I wanna get to know you more, baby (baby)
If I could get sometime alone

tumblr_m99pcoNyyD1qb4lmho1_500-1416412765.gif

My Ariel picks

Mature Themes - I find this to be Ariel's sweetest song and also his most exposed. A delightfully charming little ditty. "I wish I was taller than 5'4". 35 years of my life spent computing it all, oh hell, I want it to be good" he laments over the Mike Oldfield-esque jam. So endearing.

Butt-House Blondies - This one rocks hard and has a wonderful structure. Sludgy 90's grunge refrain and vintage charm on those verses. Oh and we get random naughty lady sounds sprinkled over the song. Scandalous.

Gray Sunset - The sexy hot wreck of a music video of this is what helped to attract me to the song. A very weird one that's difficult to digest and has more than a hint of Bowie to it.

Dayzed Inn Daydreams (Pom Pom version) - A glorious psyche-pop rerecording of an earlier track. If I was held at water pistol point to pick Ariel's "masterpiece" *shivers* then it would be this. An incredibly poignant piece lyrically. Gotta bask in wonderment at that incredible music video as well.

Are You Going To Look After My Boys? - This song is ridiculous in the best possible way. Everything about it has me in stitches. From the moment it starts i'm dead. That pacing, that super hot lo-fi production. One of Ariel's finest videos as well. This seems to be a fan favourite for a reason.

See The Girl - The first Ariel song I heard and still one of my favourites. Jangly, melancholic little number.

Only In My Dreams - One of Ariel's most accessible songs. In another world this would have been a radio hit.

Life In L.A. - Who doesn't want to see Ariel Pink strutting through the sun soaked, palm treed streets of L.A. wearing only a towel and a pair of black boots, blowing into his newspaper trumpet? One of his very best. Surreal, steeped in melancholy. It's like a dream. "Life In L.A., come on out if you're gay".

Black Ballerina - This near 6 minute epic from "Pom Pom" is one of my very top favourites. Those chunky 80's synths have me hooked from the start. We even get a saucy spoken word exchange in the middle of the song where the character Billy is rather reluctantly introduced to a topless dancer, and things get a little... out of hand. "Oh.. err.. I like your areolas, baby" *SLAP* "HANDS OFF BUSTER, what the fuck is that!? What the fuck are you doing man!?"

Bright Lit Blue Skies - A cover of a song originally recorded by Rockin' Ramrods. This is a heavy dose of sunshine. Wonderful surf-pop goodness.

NF Results

4zLe1K1.png

I'm quite happy with how this voting experiment turned out. I'd for sure do it again this way. As you can see, we actually have an artist tie. Ariel Pink and Mikal Cronin both received 60 points when combining the scores of each of their two songs. "Put Your Number In My Phone" was the clear winner though, thanks to Kris and Connor's outrageous use of my voting system, awarding the song 9 points. The two Mikal songs tying on 30 points each isn't going to help me with making a difficult future choice for the contest.

Scandalous Ariel facts

Did you know?

- Ariel recorded percussion for an entire album using just sounds from his mouth and armpits.

- Miley Cyrus of all people recently enlisted the help of Mr Pink for a track on her album "Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz" that she gave away for free on Soundcloud.

- Ariel Pink was dubbed "Indie Rock's most hated man". This came after a number of controversial (trollish) interviews leading up to the release of his 2014 record "Pom Pom". Soon after he could be seen having twitter spats with fellow 4AD label mate Grimes and also Madonna's manager.

- Porcelain Black has a cameo in the music video for "Put Your Number In My Phone".

tumblr_ncbgp54Cn31s3lduoo1_500.gif

- Kurt Vile and Azealia Banks are both huge fans of Ariel's work. Banks even released her own version of Ariel's "Nude Beach A Go-Go".

- For $10,000 you can buy an Ariel Pink print of one of his sketches. Just head to his website with your credit card.

33.jpg

Live performances of "Put Your Number In My Phone"​

Thank you for allowing me to waste your timexheart Two hours of my life I will never get back that I spent creating this post for two people to readxheat I hope you enjoyed the song. If not then perhaps the news that it's going to be a 100% internal selection for WV57 that will see the return of my sad ballads will be more pleasing?

revallsay

Re: Pacific States - WV56 - Pick Me A Dude! NF - Mikal Cronin V.S. Ariel Pink (Page 5)

OMG, the performance from the capital city of the amazing country of Polen, Warszawa xfaint

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

OMG, the performance from the capital city of the amazing country of Polen, Warszawa xfaint

Yes, Ariel came especially to the amazing country of Polen to perform his WV56 entry.

xheart
LADYGUNN-ariel1.jpg
xheart

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Pacific States - WV56 - Ariel Pink - Put Your Number In My Phone

A little disappointed that my favourite didn't make it through... :( Ah well, best of luck with it!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

A little disappointed that my favourite didn't make it through... :( Ah well, best of luck with it!

Thank you Lupus. I'm sorry your favourite didn't win here:( Mikal Cronin is in my top 3 must send artists from the Pacific States (Ariel actually being my number 1), so chances of me sending him soon are very high, especially as I plan to stay longer with this region than any other. The only trouble will be deciding which song of his to send. The tie here between my two favourite Mikal Cronin songs hasn't exactly made things clearer for me. I think Mikal has a fighting chance though, whenever I do choose to send him. Ariel would have been toast, so i'm rather happy with the fact I got to send him with a PQxheat

ShoeFlo

Oh, what a passionate post. These Green Room Threads are apparently not enough for you, you should create a Worldvision blog. You seem to me like a blogger person xup

I already expressed my opinion about "Put your Number in my Phone" winning this NF during the LL ("Yaaaaay") but for the case that you overlooked it I explain it more detailed:
I am very delighted that my favorite won. It's a song that always cheers me up and it became one of my personal classics. If I don't know what to play this is one of the first songs coming into my mind. You can rely on support from Iceland this time xup Good luck. Hope this will end up on the left page of final scoreboard cause this is clearly where it belongs.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Oh, what a passionate post. These Green Room Threads are apparently not enough for you, you should create a Worldvision blog. You seem to me like a blogger person xup

I already expressed my opinion about "Put your Number in my Phone" winning this NF during the LL ("Yaaaaay") but for the case that you overlooked it I explain it more detailed:
I am very delighted that my favorite won. It's a song that always cheers me up and it became one of my personal classics. If I don't know what to play this is one of the first songs coming into my mind. You can rely on support from Iceland this time xup Good luck. Hope this will end up on the left page of final scoreboard cause this is clearly where it belongs.

Thank you Mr Shoes for your compliments:p Blogging eh?xthink

I'm the same as you. Whenever I can't think of what to listen to, i'll just play "Put Your Number In My Phone". It never fails to lift my mood from the moment it starts with the DA DUNGDUNG DADADA DADADA DA DUNGDUNG DAAA DUNGDUNGGG DAAAAA xheat

Being on the left side of the scoreboard would be a dream but being as close to making it out of the 20's as possible is more of a realistic wish. I could bomb hard with this but i'm happy knowing the song brings you joy, and that I wanted to send Ariel so bad since I started playing this game, and i've got him in the finalxyes

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WOAH, Ariel is in the final!? What on earth!?!? Thanks to all zero of you that voted for him. This means the world to me to be here with my favourite jam and feel-good tune of the moment.

In celebration of this great news, I embed upon this page Ariel's lo-fi classic "Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?".

Stay tuned for my internally selected artist choice for WV57 announcement. A mammoth post will suddenly appear on this page the moment I have the energy to create it. The artist i'm sending had such a tragic life and i'd like to share their story with those of you that care to read it. Shall be something incredibly dear to my heart for the next edition. Nervous but also excited to be sharing the song with people.

Krishoes

Hi Mr. WoodyRains,
I am a guy from PuLGia.

I was wondering if you have a new NF full of garage rock bands, lo-fi male solo singers, drag-queens and saddest songs ever planned for the 58th edition.

Thank you, xoxo.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Hi Mr. WoodyRains,
I am a guy from PuLGia.

I was wondering if you have a new NF full of garage rock bands, lo-fi male solo singers, drag-queens and saddest songs ever planned for the 58th edition.

Thank you, xoxo.

Mr. WoodyRains pet,
I, Californian expat in New York, have the same question.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Ay up Wood-in-the-Rains! Confused Yorkshireman in the Scottish London here. Who's this bloke you've got planned?

'Oping all's reet in 'Pacific.

The Quasi-Alternate

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Hi Mr. WoodyRains,
I am a guy from PuLGia.

Thank you, xoxo.

Why, who the devil leaked my future NF plans to you?

How about a garage rocker, dressed as his female alter ego, singing the saddest song in the world? "Impossible!" you yell at me? Impossible I think not......

xcry1

She's based in California as well, and some of their stuff is even lo-fixheat

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

hey i know this isnt an appropriate place but fuck it am lavieenrose
Brinty+Spreas.png

Haha skin care and yoga

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you lavieenrose for that picture of Brinty with motivating words hidden behind her.

Now let's have a sit and take a special survey.

1. Your favourite RainyWoods WorldVision song:

2. Garage Rock / Hot Pop Hits / Melancholy balladry / Psyche Pop / Lo-fi delights - Rate these in order of your preference:

3. Folk / Psychedelic Rock / Rap / Bubblegum Punk / Jazz - Which of these as of yet not sent genres would you like to see from me?

4. Garage Rock & Lo-fi NF / Hunx NF / Mikal Cronin NF / Mr Burns NF / Drag Queens of the Pacific NF / (Another) Super Dooper NF (with many genres) / eternal internal selections - Which of these (if any) turn you on the most?

5. Are you a fan of Kurt Vile? Choices: Yes / Yes I am / Certainly / Why of course / He's pretty pimpin I must say

6. Would you like to see a Kurt Vile comeback? / If yes, what kind of song would you like to hear from him?

7. How did Kurt Vile's WorldVision flop affect your life?

8. Which of my NF songs that didn't win would you have most liked to have seen at WV (pick as many as you like)?

New York National Final

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Femme Fatale
Amen Dunes - Lilac In Hand
Billie Holiday - Don't Explain
Countess Luann - Chic C'est La Vie
Meredith Monk - Double Fiesta
Karen Dalton - Blues Jumped The Rabbit
The Shangri Las - Leader Of The Pack
Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone

The Velvet Underground & Nico..... NICO, NICO (Did I say Nico?) NF

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Sunday Morning
The Velvet Underground - Venus In Furs
The Velvet Underground & Nico - I'll Be Your Mirror
The Velvet Underground - Heroin
The Velvet Underground & Nico - Femme Fatale
Lou Reed & John Cale - Songs For Drella

Super Dooper HOT Ultra Song Selection 54

Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm
Kurt Vile - Never Run Away
Three Loco - Neato
The Everymen - Spain
The War On Drugs - Eyes To The Wind
Eartha Kitt - I Love Men
Todd - Rundgren - Zen Archer
Blonde Redhead - Melody
Nicole Atkins - The Way It Is
Melody Gardot - If Ever I Recall Your Face
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass

Super Flops Feat. Mac DeMarco and Friends with a special emphasis on Todd Rundgren NF

David Bowie - Valentine's Day
Todd Rundgren - Bread
Miss Fame feat. Alaska Thunderfuck - Miss Fame
Antony & Yoko - I'm Going Away Smiling
Meredith Monk - Double Fiesta
Todd Rundgren - No World Order
The War On Drugs - Eyes To The Wind
Blonde Redhead - Elephant Woman
Mac DeMarco - My Kind Of Woman
Todd Rundgren - Lucky Guy

Pick Me A Dude NF! Mikal Cronin V.S. Ariel Pink

Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved
Ariel Pink - Dayzed Inn Daydreams
Mikal Cronin - Weight
Ariel Pink - Put You Number In My Phone

Krishoes

1. Your favourite RainyWoods WorldVision song:

1 Hope there's someone, 2 Chic c'est la vie, 3 The way it is, 4 Put your number in my phone, 5 Femme fatale, 6 Pretty pimpin, 7 I'm going away smiling

2. Garage Rock / Hot Pop Hits / Melancholy balladry / Psyche Pop / Lo-fi delights - Rate these in order of your preference:

1 Hot Pop Hits, 2 Melancholy balladry, 3 Psyche Pop, 4 Lo-fi delights, 5 Garage rock

3. Folk / Psychedelic Rock / Rap / Bubblegum Punk / Jazz - Which of these as of yet not sent genres would you like to see from me?

I don't want to see Bubblegum punk or Psychedelic rock. The rest is ok considering your taste and the songs you could enter.

4. Garage Rock & Lo-fi NF / Hunx NF / Mikal Cronin NF / Mr Burns NF / Drag Queens of the Pacific NF / (Another) Super Dooper NF (with many genres) / eternal internal selections - Which of these (if any) turn you on the most?

Drag Queens of the Pacific NF for sure!!! But also Mr Burns NF and Hunx NF

5. Are you a fan of Kurt Vile? Choices: Yes / Yes I am / Certainly / Why of course / He's pretty pimpin I must say

Certainly no.

6. Would you like to see a Kurt Vile comeback? / If yes, what kind of song would you like to hear from him?

No, thank you.

I had a 1 second of pain in my heart.

8. Which of my NF songs that didn't win would you have most liked to have seen at WV (pick as many as you like)?

In this order: Slave to the rhythm, Elephant woman, Double fiesta, I'll be your mirror, Melody, Valentine's day.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

1. "Hope There's Someone." Unfortunately, it had the bad luck of facing off against the goodness, gosh, iconic Kyary Pamyu Pamyu in the semis and one of my top 15 favorite songs ever in the final.
2. From favorite to least: Melancholy balladry - psyche pop - garage rock - lo-fi - hot pop hits
3. That you love and appreciate jazz as much as you do but haven't sent it to WV yet is a damn shame (then again, we've foiled your attempts to send it whenever you tried xshifty)
4. Another one that crosses genres would be amazing, but I can see why the inevitable victory for whatever wonderful piano melancholy is there makes you reluctant to do one. Though there was what I consider a serious upset of Nicole over Melody, so these NFs can produce other things. Mr. Burns is second.
5. Why of course
6. I would, but it would need some expectation management on all our parts results-wise. Anything else from this last album would be wonderful.
7. Horrifically, but it was also a sadly-needed wakeup call that being a complete nut with song choices in this game is a risk.
8. Almost all of them, but especially Don't Explain, Double Fiesta, I'll Be Your Mirror, Slave to the Rhythm, Eyes to the Wind, If Ever I Recall Your Face, Bread, and I've Been Loved.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I had a 1 second of pain in my heart.

giphy.gif

I felt your pain that day as well. It was horrendous and I hope I never experience another moment like it again.

Thank you for taking the survey Krisxheart What's interesting is that you've ranked Antony & Yoko's "I'm Going Away Smiling" at the bottom of my entries. I really did feel after I had sent that song that i'd made the wrong decision, as sad and beautiful as the song was.

Another interesting thing of note is how you don't want me to send Bubblegum Punk but you want a Hunx NFxheat Him and NoBunny are basically Bubblegum Punk artists:lol:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

I just realized that my votes in your first NF put "Femme Fatale" over "Hope There's Someone." I think I'd probably change that if I were voting today.

Krishoes

Another interesting thing of note is how you don't want me to send Bubblegum Punk but you want a Hunx NFxheat Him and NoBunny are basically Bubblegum Punk artists:lol:

THAT'S THE REASON! If you held a Hunx NF I'm sure there will be only his songs but with a Bubblegum Punk NF we can't avoid a NoBunny's song! :mrgreen:

Krishoes

I felt your pain that day as well. It was horrendous and I hope I never experience another moment like it again.

Actually now I can feel the same pain, it's dreadful and disgusting to be out and with such songs.

crying-gif-20.gif

Top Bottom