Pacific States 🌊 WV 190: Allie X - Black Eye

Marcos C

kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ⦁ California ⦁ Hawai'i ⦁ Oregon ⦁ Washington

Last edited:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Pacific States - WV58 - La Sera - 10 Headed Goat Wizard / Mikal Cronin NF page 18 (only 3 songs)

Slay us indeed Kai! As long as the RIGHT pushed song won... IOTAP

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Pacific States - WV58 - La Sera - 10 Headed Goat Wizard / Mikal Cronin NF page 18 (only 3 songs)

THE WRONG PUSHED SONG WON!!!!! xcry1

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV59 - Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved

mikal_cronin03_website_image_ytnv_wuxga.jpg

I'm delighted to announce that you picked the poignant "I've Been Loved" as my Mikal Cronin song for WorldVision 59. The song taken from my album of 2015, the rollercoaster ride that is "MCIII". So pumped to share it with people, more than a little nervous but let's do this!

Mikal Cronin (born December 26, 1985) is a Californian garage rock musician. The Laguna Beach native is part of the bands Okie Dokie, Epsilons, Party Fowl and Moonhearts and also sometimes plays for fellow Cali rocker Ty Segall, even collaborating with him on the fuzzy, lo-fi rock album "Reverse Shark Attack", released back in 2009. Mikal released his debut album, the self titled "Mikal Cronin" back in 2011. In 2013 he released the critically acclaimed "MCII", the album receiving phenomenal praise from all corners. The album spawned the towering epic "Weight", a fuzzy pop-rock jewel about the fears of growing older.

In 2015 Mikal released the very special, creatively named "MCIII". He played and arranged nearly the entire record himself. It's a humongous record of different sounds, lush strings and just general gorgeousness. It's the gorgeousness that I think really sets Mikal Cronin apart from his fellow garage rockers. He's not afraid to lace his tracks with unusual instruments and there is a certain sincerity to his music I haven't heard from a rock artist since Elliott Smith. It's a believable vulnerability that makes these songs so beautiful. The second side of "MCIII" sees Mikal experiment with a conceptual six-song suite, which the achingly beautiful piece "v) Different" that I shared in my NF is from.

"I've Been Loved' has become a song very dear to my heart since I heard it for the first time early last year. To be honest it kind of chokes me up each time I listen to it. It's such a raw and forward piece of music, overwhelming in it's relentlessness. There is such urgency to the piece. I find it lyrically relatable. By the final chorus it's broken me. Just such a heartrending piece of music. I adore Mikal Cronin. He's an incredibly important artist to me. I hope you enjoy the song.

Wait
A circle moves in front of me
And the fuel burns away
And I know
There's peace inside the open flame
Maybe there we can stay
Who'd have known, we'd be sitting alone in a silent room
So I say

I've loved, I've been lost, I've been locked inside my mind
I can feel when it's real and it's been with me all this time
I've been lucky enough to find love of a different kind

Give me faith, I feel the ceiling slip away
And the rain slows the road
There's a chance today you find your open door
And I'm here, here to hold
Who'd have known, we'd be feeling alone in a crowded room
Can I say

Results of the NF

KxffNjn.png

So as you can see with thanks to my delightfully dazzling, professionally made scoreboard, "I've Been Loved" won with a fairly comfortable lead in the end. It would have required a couple more voters with disdain for the song and a strong appreciation of "v) Different" for a different winner here. "Weight" got destroyed despite Jamie's best efforts to push it at the end. It's sad but in a sense i'm happy we have such a clear winner, especially after two of the songs tied previously when I put them into my Ariel Pink Vs. Mikal Cronin NF. I feel like i'm sending the right song. Thank you so much to everyone that votedxheart

Some live performances​

Bonus video of Mikal Cronin and Mac DeMarco in a golf cart together

Nice Pitchfork article about the creation of "MCIII".​

mikalcronin.jpg

_________ ___

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wow, HipFlo and rev with the hot voting.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Oh please. Anna, Kris, and ShoeFlo have the best votes.*

*my individual ones

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

[MENTION=15013]Ringdalen[/MENTION] and I had the right idea (swap the 2 and 1 on my and Calvin's joint votes)!

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States - WV59 - Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved

note_paper_by_stoostock-d3ghe2x.jpg

There's your feckin notepaper bitch

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

My reaction when this qualified
ymUHl3RPVprig.gif

NOW WHO'S GONNA CLEAN UP (IN THE FINAL)?!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] Woah, everyone's favorite grandmother-grandson trilingual cooking show duo. What an honour to have two superstars grace my page in gif form. Thank you ever so much.

Big thank you's going out as well of course to those who enjoyed Mikal Cronin's song, and helped to get him through to the final. He's one of my favourite artists making music today, certainly one of the people I connect with most. It means a dreadful amount to see people appreciate this song of his I shared. "I've Been Loved" is basically "The Kiss" levels of special to me. When I joined WV I was nervous my songs would have a difficult time reaching people, but shock after shock just keeps happening. That reaction to the song at the LL really touched me. Love you all.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV60 - Pacific States - Internal pick
Teaser collage, just who will it be?​
v44XkVS.png

Pacific States are manning up next edition and making an internal choice. So hold my hand gently as we look through the shortlisted artists. One has been chosen for WorldVision's special 60th edition. What happens to the nine artists that aren't so lucky? Did someone say surprise super NF?

Will it be (from left to right):

Xiu Xiu - Experimental noise pop band that have a few haunting ballads under their belt as well.

The Doors - The legendary rock band that was fronted by the late Jim Morrison.

King Tuff - Super cool garage rock by the hypnotic dude from Vermont, now based in California (yes I cheat).

Perfume Genius - Sincere lo-fi bedroom dream pop that could bring a tear to ones eye.

Shannon and the Clams - Doo-wop oldies and more from the charming garage rock trio.

Linda Perhacs - Beautiful psychedelic folk. Released her first album in 44 years recently.

Hunx and his Punx - Bubblegum Punk from perhaps California's most colourful character.

Part Time - Ultra infectious, crunchy bedroom synth pop with an 80's sound.

NoBunny - No introduction needed. You ain't NoBunny til you've heard of NoBunny.

Joanna Newsom - Enchanting harpist with an unusual voice. Certainly an acquired taste.

So just who will it be? Place your bets... now!

Fun which are cool facts:

Five of the artists featured on the collage are associated with Burger Records. La Sera and Mikal Cronin have both released music on the independent Californian record label and so have Shannon and the Clams, King Tuff, NoBunny, Hunx and Part Time. Yes, I love Burger Recordsxheart

One for number fetishists this, Lastfm tells me I have listened to the shortlisted artists a combined total of 6704 timesxheat I'm only just getting started with a couple of them as well.

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

What an incredibly exciting and life changing line up we have from the Pacific States right here. I haven't a clue who it could possibly be. They all seem so wonderful, why not get them all to write a song together before the next edition and send them as one supergroup?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

What an incredibly exciting and life changing line up we have from the Pacific States right here. I haven't a clue who it could possibly be. They all seem so wonderful, why not get them all to write a song together before the next edition and send them as one supergroup?

Thank you Ashley for the life enriching compliments. I am glad the lineup has thrilled you in ways never before experienced. What a fantabulous idea to get the artists together to form a super group and record a new song for WorldVision. The only problem being Jim Morrison is dead.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

The only problem being Jim Morrison is dead.

If Monty Python can make an entire movie with Graham Chapman (who died in 1989) then I don't think there's anything stopping your supergroup making a song with the late Mr. Morrison.

ShoeFlo

Perfume Genius xheat xfaint
1126377450.gif

Xiu Xiu.. I remember I was impressed by one of their songs the other day xup

I am familiar with the songs of No Bunny and Hunx and his Punx while the other artists look familiar to me but I cant remember if I liked their songs...

Anyway I am as excited as this dog:

18b53dc970cb8a6393d60c7e6cf5f41c.jpg

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

o6wS1DH.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Can you get my nail that fell off as I'm such a disaster?

tumblr_n3p5ua0mZe1qzktbuo1_500.gif

Top Bottom