Contact us

NORTHEASTERN USA 🗽 WV190 🌃 Is it me, is it you?

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member

T1UM378.png

see also
VOLUME I: PACIFIC BLUES

Last edited:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 61: 1960's NYC Folk Music NF

Voted:

:lond: :lond: :neus: :paci:

There's a very good chance you'll see more songs from this national final in future editions of the contest too. :D

xcheer

Aditya

I'm setting the deadline as Friday at 23:59 CET as I'm busy on Saturday (I have a CS exam on Sunday) and I don't want to miss out on this edition. :D

Aditya

Voted:

:mk: :lond: :neus: ::midw :us:

xcheer

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 61: 1960's NYC Folk Music NF (DDL: Friday @ 23:59 CET)

There's still time to vote! xcheer

I'm waiting for whiteshoes to correct his votes, but we have a blowout victor enough such that I can comfortably send the victor tonight if no one else votes :p

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 61: 1960's NYC Folk Music NF (DDL: Friday @ 23:59 CET)

Soundcheck '61 Results

PlaceEntryPoints
1st42
2nd29
3rd27
4th12

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 61: 1960's NYC Folk Music NF Results

I thought the deadline was at midnight, so I was just going to vote right now. :( But it looks like my vote wouldn't have made a difference, though?

Aditya

I thought the deadline was at midnight, so I was just going to vote right now. :( But it looks like my vote wouldn't have made a difference, though?

Oops, for some reason I thought that midnight had already passed. It's approaching Daylights Savings time in the US this weekend, which means that my timezone conversions are thrown off for several days. :$

Sorry about that :$

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member

Oops, for some reason I thought that midnight had already passed. It's approaching Daylights Savings time in the US this weekend, which means that my timezone conversions are thrown off for several days. :$

Sorry about that :$
Ah I see. It's 20 minutes to midnight right now. Hoping for one of my two main favorites then, even though all songs are nice.

Aditya

Soundcheck '61 Full Results

PlaceEntryPoints
1stWhere Have All The Flowers Gone?42
2ndEarly Morning Rain29
3rdDiamonds & Rust27
4th500 Miles12

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Amazing choice, although all four were fabulous, but you're sending an absolute classic folk song. I'm so delighted. I'm going to have everything crossed for you Aditya. It would be a crime if you didn't see the final with this beautiful, touching song. Thank you for sending itxheart

Aditya

Re: Northeastern United States ✰ WV 59 ✰ John Williams

It's Betty Who for WorldVision 62!

500px-National_Public_Radio_logo.svg.png

2s7i81f.jpg

National Public Radio (NPR) can finally announce that an internal selection has chosen the artist who will represent the Northeastern United States in WorldVision 62, which will be held in a yet-to-be-determined location in the coming weeks.

Our last few artists have hailed from New York City and the surrounding towns — NPR has decided to shake things up by sending an artist based in... New York City. Betty Who is an Australian singer-songwriter from Sydney who has been based in the Big Apple for her music career; she moved to the US at the age of 16 to attend the Interlochen Center for the Arts in northwestern Michigan before coming to New York City for her big musical breakthrough.

Her debut single "Somebody Loves You" was initially released independently as a free download, and was premiered by pop music blogger and at-the-time official Grammy blogger Arjan Writes on 30 November 2012. A music video, directed by Evan Savitt, was released on 22 January 2013, and an official remix by acclaimed indie pop producer FM Attack was released on 11 March 2013. On 8 March 2014, "Somebody Loves You" reached number one on Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs chart. Her debut EP, The Movement, was released on 16 April 2013. An independent, free-download release initially, the EP's huge success online helped lead to a large amount of major label interest, before she ultimately signed with RCA Records. It premiered on Billboard on 9 April 2013, one week prior to its official release date and continually received rave reviews from countless major blogs and magazines throughout 2013. Upon release, Idolator described the EP as "A spine-tinglingly euphoric 80's pop nugget," indie pop blog All Things Go claimed she was "charting new musical territory," and the famous UK outlet Popjustice called it "the best proper EP so far of 2013."

Who released her second EP, Slow Dancing, on 8 April 2014, which made it to number one on the iTunes pop music charts. The first single from that album, titled "Heartbreak Dream", was released on iTunes and Google Play on 18 February 2014. The song is used over the end credits of the 2015 film Pitch Perfect 2. In late August 2014, Who made the announcement that her full-length debut album, Take Me When You Go, will be released on 7 October 2014. She also released the track list with the announcement. Thirteen songs, four of them being taken from her previous EPs, appeared on the album. From the album, the track, "All of You", was her second number one on the US Dance chart, peaking at number one on 21 February 2015.

NPR invites all to comment on this entry choice, as well as to suggest any potential entries you would like to see from the Northeastern United States in the future! I'm deciding between two of her songs... I suppose you'll find out which one I chose at the semifinal LL. :D

Note: Her biography has been liberally borrowed from her Wikipedia article to an extent that I feel that this disclaimer is necessary. :p

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 61: Pete Seeger (WV 62: Betty Who)

:neus: is still alive! :D

News about our WorldVision 63 entry will be announced soon. :)

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 63: CONTACT

WorldVision 64
Northeastern United States
Hannah Jane Lewis

hannah-jane-lewis-590x590.jpg

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 64: Hannah Jane Lewis

Finals have finally come to an end, so I may hold a national final for WorldVision 65. (I have already chosen the WV 64 entry ;)) xcheer

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 64: Hannah Jane Lewis

Hunnej do you know something we don't? :eek:

:D

I needed a placeholder flag as without one the text alignment is thrown off and that bothers me too much. Usually I put the :in: flag, but I felt like changing it up this time. :p

Aditya

Re: 🇺🇸 Northeastern United States — WV 64: Betty Who

Update: Betty Who will be :neus:'s representative for WorldVision 64; Hannah Jane Lewis was unfortunately not from New York City like I originally thought (she was born in London, spent her childhood in NYC, and is currently once again living in London).

Evangeline

According to the rules an artist that has spent their childhood in a certain region/country is eligible for that region/country. It doesn't specify, but it says "In order to accept an artist who was not born, did not grow up or does not currently live in a country/region but only has roots from that country, then he/she must have special ties with that country"

If she grew up in NYC as you say, she should be eligible, I think :confused:

Aditya

According to the rules an artist that has spent their childhood in a certain region/country is eligible for that region/country. It doesn't specify, but it says "In order to accept an artist who was not born, did not grow up or does not currently live in a country/region but only has roots from that country, then he/she must have special ties with that country"

If she grew up in NYC as you say, she should be eligible, I think :confused:

Thank you... I didn't notice that part of the rules (I suppose the curse of participating in contests on different forums is that their rules bleed together :D). :)

Top Bottom