8 5.4%

1 0.7%

2 1.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Synergise

Maybe my opinion will change with a live performance and stage show, because right now there's just... not really a song? It's big and dramatic and yet feels really empty.
Right now I give this a 3.

• Like It
Reactions: aef

theditz83

Veteran
It's decent - certainly the most impactful on first listen for me out of the 4 songs released so far (not counting the :at: leak in any overall comparisons for now), and I imagine a similar kind of performance to Iveta's :am: 2016 entry - it gives those kinda vibes for me.

All depends on staging whether it will qualify as the performance will be the key factor for this since the song on its own will likely never set the world alight when it comes to people's top song rankings of the year.

I go for :7: for now.

joker in

My Slovenian opinion; expected predictable song from Raiven, i think that her plus is great live voice and stage performance.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran

jatojo

We literally have 4 songs out, why would people go and bet on someone now? xfaint
Bookies are irrelevant almost until prerehearsal week
Bookies have the most qualified opinions - if they just went by their feelings (like the fans do), it would cost them money.

Of course, guessing which country is going to win in Malmö is hard when the respective winners haven't been revealed yet - that still doesn't change the fact that the bookmakers represent a more reliable assessment than you and I regarding that question. Often, they know stuff that we don't know, such as what names will appear from each country, how good they are live etc.

That's one of the reasons why I agree that it is silly to go and bet on Eurovision winners etc now - too little is known, and the bookmakers most likely know more than I as a simple individual know.

EscGeek

Veteran

Slovenia: Head of Entertainment at RTVSLO Resigns Following Allegations of Irregularities in Eurovision Preparations​

Oh yeah, our anti-corruption agency is investigating the selection process. :lol:
As we all know, RTVSLO initially announced Misija Malmo where the public will be able to choose a winner among 4 songs, then they changed their mind, selected Raiven and pretended like the first announcement never happened.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Had time to mull over this a bit. I like the song but not as much as I would like.
Then I realized the problem. "Veronika" builds into a PAUSE.

I think the rest of the song is perfectly fine. It's a good track, decently catchy hook, the atmosphere is immersive enough. It has a theme, a story, a concept. The comparisons to Echo are daft - Echo had none of the above, and that's without regarding Iru had to fight her own backing track, and the backing track won. The instrumentation in Veronika puts Raiven's vocals centre stage with no competition.

and then.... :bunchofbubbles:

I do like me some bubbles but not the variety that interrupt the momentum you're building.

You need a big moment there. A high note, an on-stage transformation, some sort of show-stopping gimmick. You need a pay-off for the tension you've created or else you're just scamming people.

Do I trust Raiven enough to think that she has something prepared? Yes, absolutely. I suspect she's holding something back with the purpose of surprising us during rehearsals.
Can I take it into account when I'm rating the song or predicting how well it would do in Sweden? Hell no. I can't base myself off something that may or may not be there. I have to go off the things I know, and all I know now is that we have an immersive track that builds up into a fucking pause.

The :8: I gave remains. But homegirl better have something prepared to fill in the gap in her soundtrack or else she risks going out in the semi.

Or someone could just place a really big bet on her right now. That would also do the trick.

MAD20

What a journey of song! This is magical, thank you Slovenia for taking the risk and providing Europe with this high quality track. It's a :12: for now, and my Top 1 among the already selected songs.

Koori

Bookies have the most qualified opinions - if they just went by their feelings (like the fans do), it would cost them money.

Of course, guessing which country is going to win in Malmö is hard when the respective winners haven't been revealed yet - that still doesn't change the fact that the bookmakers represent a more reliable assessment than you and I regarding that question. Often, they know stuff that we don't know, such as what names will appear from each country, how good they are live etc.

That's one of the reasons why I agree that it is silly to go and bet on Eurovision winners etc now - too little is known, and the bookmakers most likely know more than I as a simple individual know.

So what is "more" they know now? All the songs at Melodi \ SanRemo and the winners? All other representatives, their songs and performances? Oh wow, where is my tinfoil hat xcrazy In 2011, their TOP-3 were France, UK, Estonia who placed 15, 11 and 24th - what went wrong if they are so very mighty? It would make more sense for them then to mislead people and make them bet on something who will never win. But % we see are also very much affected by what people bet on, not just their "quialified opinions".

Everyone in their top this early in the season make sense. Some because of the country factor - Italy, Sweden, Ukraine, Norway - they usually send fine songs and place high every year. Iceland has risen to the second place now only because of the rumors of Bashar being there. UK has popular and hyped artist, Lithuania has The Roop who did well last time, etc; but all these changes happening now are just few bets and 99% money wasted.

More "real" picture we will obviously see only when rehearsals start and many more people start putting money there. Remember Eleni Foureira who was, iirc, out of TOP-15 before her first rehearsal. Or even more ridiculous, Suri, who entered the TOP-10 duing the final because of the incident with the stage intruder.

So Raiven not placing 1st at bookies after song release doesn't mean anything at the moment. I'm 99,9% sure she will not win, but put Swedish flag next to her entry - and she would 100% be at top-3-5 of the bets now.

Slovenia: Head of Entertainment at RTVSLO Resigns Following Allegations of Irregularities in Eurovision Preparations​

As I understood from N1 (CNN affiliate), the issue is even worse and it's not about televote not being included by the book, but about the fact that the juries didn't hear all songs submitted (cca 100), and that TV SLO didn't disclose the names of international jurors who have alledgedly reviewed 5 songs, suggesting that there were probably no juries at all. Also, Raiven was TV SLO's contract worker.

If any of these allegations are true, it's below expecations regarding Slovene integrity from the point of view of us living reality anywhere south of Ljubljana. 🤣

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This song is A LOT. Almost too much. It's an impressive, overwhelming, at times confusing listen that throws absolutely everything at you.

The bridge is my favourite part. The shift in tone there is so chillingly grand. Best part of any song we've been given so far this year, hands down. There is something I find quite ominous about Veronika. The entry doesn't make me feel 100% comfortable and I love that about it. Sort of the Dark Souls of Eurovision entries (I love any of you who understand this perhaps weird comparison) and like the Souls series, it's rewarding when you stick with it. This is why it took me a while to share my opinion. I was impressed by the grandeur immediately but it wasn't a love at first listen song. The "braaap" bits put me off for instance, and I'm still not entirely keen on them (like at all). The pre-choruses and magnificent bridge are the standout moments here.

After giving it more listens, I think Slovenia have an extremely impressive entry this year. It's grandiose, imposing, magnificent. I want in on the whole opulence of Veronika. It's needless to say as well that Raiven is a star. The music video kicks butt!

:10: points with potential for 12.

It hurts to say it but Veronika is close to the sound I would have loved (and was expecting) Justyna Steczkowska to represent Poland with
1080227120548163624.webp

Malagant

FSC Administrator
Staff member
I like this. It is interesting. Dramatic. A bit experimental but still melodic. Unfortunately Slovenia are often underrated in ESC so it's hard to say how Europe will find this. I would need to see it on stage but for now I give it 7 points.

Iker

Veteran
The fresh and lush production is certainly an advantage of this entry, very modern and for ESC even cutting-edge. However the song itself I find rather average as a song. I find the melody not so special, but I like everything else about it.

Top Bottom