1 0.7%

2 1.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Looren

Veteran
:sl: is part of my personal Top 3 and I don't even really like :rs: that much... I don't think both entries target the same audience groups(?)

Yup I think so too, I have Serbia in my top 5 and Slovenia is quite far away from it, I don't think both entries will cancel each other as they're very different imo

Mika

She's going to wear an "invisible catsuit" in Malmo, so basically I'm guessing something similar to Dora's outfit. And she hopes to meet Loreen.

AlekS

Veteran
Raiven gave exclusive interview for Ukrainian ESC community. She confirmed the revamp. "It's still gonna have the same sound, it's just about the length and details to make dramatic effect on stage as well. It's not gonna be a totally different song, don't worry". Most def we will hear it for the first time in Malmö.

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
What they really just need to do is make the climax at the end pop out more. And remove the PAUSE. Christ almighty ANYTHING but that pause.

still, i've given Veronika enough listens to commit to her journey in print as well. upgrading to a :12:. :-)

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I genuinely forgot that I'd given her less than 10 until this morning.

musicfan

This definitely doesn't need drastic changes. I find the climax at the end good. It's unfortunate the more mainstream sounding Belgian song gets praised so much and this appears not to be because this has more potential.

MojVoda

:sl: is part of my personal Top 3 and I don't even really like :rs: that much... I don't think both entries target the same audience groups(?)

I also believe that they're quite different - :rs: is more like an ordinary ballad - parts of it are even radio-friendly, imo.
:sl: is more artsy-fartsy and less instant (but it also makes it more memorable, imo) - both songs are "quality entries", though and :rs: will be getting some diaspora support.

Personally, I think that both songs can qualify (and I would be happy to see both of them in the GF again).
Both are pretentious to be honest. The slight difference is that :rs: is for its domestic audience and have a more "local" sound to it, the still doesn't offer something fresh or groundbreaking to get us truly invested in it. :sl: was selected internally and was made for the international audience with the more "polish" sound. Neither reach the potential like needed to get the proper support. The likely outcome is one will get the better televote than the other and vice versa with juryvote.

I do like both songs, we both try to stay relevant for the outside world but we have become standard lately.

mup

Regardless of how Veronika will place, I find interesting that Raiven traces her inspiration from the lives of women in history, I also appreciate the mystical lyrics of her song. From her bio I see that Raiven is also a harpist and an opera/theatre singer. (y) Good luck to her!

musicfan

Both are pretentious to be honest. The slight difference is that :rs: is for its domestic audience and have a more "local" sound to it, the still doesn't offer something fresh or groundbreaking to get us truly invested in it. :sl: was selected internally and was made for the international audience with the more "polish" sound. Neither reach the potential like needed to get the proper support. The likely outcome is one will get the better televote than the other and vice versa with juryvote.

I do like both songs, we both try to stay relevant for the outside world but we have become standard lately.

I don't think either is pretentious. The Swiss song however still feels a melodramatic mess to me, it reaches beyond what it has the ability to do, which would be a good definition of pretentiousness.

FilipFromSweden

I just LOVE the water sounds in the instrumentals, I don't think I've heard anything like it before

MojVoda

I don't think either is pretentious. The Swiss song however still feels a melodramatic mess to me, it reaches beyond what it has the ability to do, which would be a good definition of pretentiousness.
Switzerland isn't comparable because it's blatantly phoned in with the point the song is trying to make. It's trying too hard to make a complicated topic understandable for 170+ million but it's not pretentious. Serbia and Slovenia are pretentious because they are trying to be something they are not, to be an authentic representation of our respective culture. Both try to top the 2000s Balkan ballads and are nowhere near that. Both aren't bad and do sing in their traditional language however, but they cannot claim to be what they are convincing the audience to believe.

Mika

Yesterday I was at Raiven's concert and it was phenomenal.

In the past 10 years of her music career, I've attended her concerts at least 15 times. I was also at her very first one shortly after her first EMA, where she performed Črno bel. This way, I had the opportunity to witness firsthand how she evolved into the highly professional artist she's today. I remember her shyness at the beginning, when she hadn't quite grasped how to communicate with the audience, and then the significant positive leap when she changed her entire team at some point. Today (at least on the surface), she seems truly confident, and the audience eagerly accepts everything she serves them. Raiven's constantly evolving, improving, refining her singing technique, never standing still. She's outstanding.

Her voice's always been her bread and butter, but yesterday she really showcased what it means to be a (classically) trained singer, because not only's her voice confidently strong, what impressed me the most were all the effortless transitions between low and high, loud and quiet parts. She displayed the full range of mastery over her voice. We have a top-notch artist in Slovenia, truly hats off.

With regards to Črno bel, I must point out that yesterday – for who knows what reason – she didn't perform it. I realise that musicians perceive their careers entirely differently than the audience, but still, Črno bel is the song that introduced her to a wider audience, and I must say that its absence from the repertoire was glaringly obvious.

Of course, she also performed songs from her new EP Sirene. She sang Veronika in its original version. In the chorus, she again skipped the 2nd and 4th verses, which IMHO takes away a considerable charm from the performance of the song, so I still hope that there'll be a different approach in the revamped version on the ESC stage.

If any of you will be able to see her in Malmö at one of the performances just before the ESC, seize the opportunity and go listen to her live. When she's on stage, with her charisma and skills, she really delivers everything she has to the audience. And she has remarkably a lot.

Top Bottom