ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member

Criminal charges against Joost Klein dropped​

It was during the rehearsals for the Eurovision Song Contest in Malmö on May 9 that the Dutch artist ended up in a situation that caused him to later be suspected of having exposed a woman to illegal threats.

But now the Public Prosecutor's Office announces that the preliminary investigation is closed.

"Today I have closed the investigation because I cannot prove that the act was capable of causing serious fear or that the man had any such intention," says senior prosecutor Fredrik Jönsson

jatojo

I expected that outcome. Cases of violence must be crystal clear to result in a conviction. It's good for Joost Klein, but it doesn't mean much in terms of the decision from the EBU. The problem was the way he behaved within the organization that he was part of.

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member

Further statement on disqualification on Joost Klein from the 2024 Eurovision Song Contest​

Jean Philip De Tender, EBU Deputy Director General and Director of Media said:

"The EBU aims to ensure the Eurovision Song Contest is a show for everyone and is a safe place for staff, artists, guests and fans.

Like all responsible employers, we do not tolerate inappropriate behaviour and will always respond to any workplace issues that are reported to us.

The decision to disqualify Mr Klein from this year’s event was made in strict accordance with Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) rules and governance procedures, after an internal investigation.

In parallel, Swedish police decided to open a formal investigation into the conduct of Mr Klein during the Second Semi Final, which we understand was closed today without further action.

This was an investigation into whether a criminal act was committed and not whether Mr Klein behaved inappropriately and breached ESC rules and procedures. This new development therefore does not have any impact on our decision which we stand by completely."

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member
The audacity of the EBU is almost unbelievable. Interesting that it wasn't Martin Österdahl who made the statement.

0scar

AVROTROS statement:

We have also just learned that the criminal investigation against Joost Klein has been suspended by the Swedish Public Prosecutor's Office because there is no evidence of criminal conduct.

From the beginning, we have said that this disqualification was unnecessary and disproportionate and so it now appears to be. We are still deeply disappointed that the Europa adventure of Joost Klein and of the entire Netherlands was brutally ended in this way.

The next step is to have a meeting with the EBU management about this matter at very short notice.

This meeting will focus on this unjust disqualification. We will also discuss all our other objections about the course of events behind the scenes at the Song Contest that we previously sent to the EBU in a comprehensive letter of objection, which to date has remained unanswered.

AVROTROS' approach is and remains that the Song Contest is about artists and their musical message. The ball is now in the EBU's court.

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is disgraceful that the EBU haven’t at the very least acknowledged their actions may have been extreme given that the police have decided against pursuing any case. I think given the complete hypocrisy, an apology was never going to happen

njdevils94

Veteran
I expected that outcome. Cases of violence must be crystal clear to result in a conviction. It's good for Joost Klein, but it doesn't mean much in terms of the decision from the EBU. The problem was the way he behaved within the organization that he was part of.
I think the EBU are happy with the outcome of the report. Nothing was actually proven either way and that's the end of it. Time to move on.

Yep, very hard to prove violence/assault etcin a case like this without clear evidence. If the Dutch want to withdraw than so be it. Hopefully they don't but that's up to them.

The ESC fan media Anti-Jewish conspiracies that say it was a set up need to stop now. It's utterly pathetic.

FilipFromSweden

:nl: is not coming back to ESC 2025 I'm fairly sure of it
Your loss. After the 2025 finale everybody will be talking about something else and The Netherlands will be the one outside of the bubble, missed out on a party

FilipFromSweden

dp

0scar

Your loss. After the 2025 finale everybody will be talking about something else and The Netherlands will be the one outside of the bubble, missed out on a party

Merely voicing my suspicions so not really sure where this came from but sure our loss, don't think anyone in the Netherlands will be sad missing out on this party to be fair.

AVROTROS apparently has their own reason they see fit for not trusting the EBU at this moment, AVROTROS/EBU seem to be cross with each other so it would not be that surprising if AVROTROS pulls out. I hope all the participating countries enjoy their "party" but it is just not one they would feel comfortable being in anyways.
Not an attack at any other country so no need to be so defensive tbh, all other broadcasters don't have any beef with EBU like AVROTROS has at the moment

Judas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Merely voicing my suspicions so not really sure where this came from but sure our loss, don't think anyone in the Netherlands will be sad missing out on this party to be fair.

AVROTROS apparently has their own reason they see fit for not trusting the EBU at this moment, AVROTROS/EBU seem to be cross with each other so it would not be that surprising if AVROTROS pulls out. I hope all the participating countries enjoy their "party" but it is just not one they would feel comfortable being in anyways.
Not an attack at any other country so no need to be so defensive tbh, all other broadcasters don't have any beef with EBU like AVROTROS has at the moment
EBU is at the loss here. They just lost a very loyal country. Netherlands never skipped on participation despite long years of not qualifying, and they hosted the show excellently when they got the chance. I am sorry for the Dutch fans and especially Joost, none of y'all deserved any of it from the beginning.

Reinventor

EBU is at the loss here. They just lost a very loyal country. Netherlands never skipped on participation despite long years of not qualifying, and they hosted the show excellently when they got the chance. I am sorry for the Dutch fans and especially Joost, none of y'all deserved any of it from the beginning.
It's surprising how quickly some folks are siding with the EBU on this one. The Netherlands has been part of Eurovision since day one, and now they're bowing out due to EBU policies. It's not as simple as saying "your loss" to the Dutch.Why it's not the Netherlands' loss:
  1. Dutch public support for Eurovision is pretty low now, so many won't see it as a big deal.
  2. Eurovision is actually losing out on a major financial contributor and long-time participant.
The EBU, Eurovision itself, and die-hard fans are the ones feeling the pinch here. Meanwhile, the average Dutch person will likely back the decision to sit this one out.

Once a country pulls out, it's not always easy to jump back in. Losing loyal participants like the Netherlands can have a lasting effect on Eurovision.

Last edited:

Miloutchi

It's surprising how quickly some folks are siding with the EBU on this one. The Netherlands has been part of Eurovision since day one, and now they're bowing out due to EBU policies. It's not as simple as saying "your loss" to the Dutch.Why it's not the Netherlands' loss:
  1. Dutch public support for Eurovision is pretty low now, so many won't see it as a big deal.
  2. Eurovision is actually losing out on a major financial contributor and long-time participant.
The EBU, Eurovision itself, and die-hard fans are the ones feeling the pinch here. Meanwhile, the average Dutch person will likely back the decision to sit this one out.

Once a country pulls out, it's not always easy to jump back in. Losing loyal participants like the Netherlands can have a lasting effect on Eurovision.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t most die-hard Dutch fans also kind of supporting the decision to stop participating?

For me, it feels a little bit like a funeral. I don’t really want to let it go, but I have to because it is dead. Eurovision has died and this is me dealing with the grief lol.

Top Bottom