United States ☂️ WV190 ☔ Nicole Miglis - All I See Is You

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It's stayed on ninteen voters and I'm super happy and grateful that so many people checked out my NF. Thank you all xheart

:kyus: :ir: :it: :cn: :rs: :sc: :uk: :bg: :pe: :au: :pl: :es: :th: :is: :neus: :jp: :in: ::midw
114 - 102 - 97 - 92 - 81 - 73

It was incredibly tight most of the way through but eventually from a couple of voters, a particular song took a two digit lead over the little close pack it was sitting in for so long, and it kept that comfortable space, despite getting even some low points towards the end. Looking at the numbers, this for sure feels like the right victor, and I'm really excited to reveal soon what won. What do ya think it was?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
OrDMSR3.png

1jGM2lL.png

Well she did it! Shannon Shaw makes her WorldVision debut after winning my Garage Rock NF, and it feels so right considering I've got this lady to thank for getting me into the whole genre in the first place. Shannon has a fondness for merging doo-wop and 60s rock. Those golden oldies that make your heart ache, but with a rawness and underground grit that kind of just blew my world back when I heard her band Shannon and the Clams for the first time (and it still does now). I was so super crazy for what she was doing. Besides fronting her own group since 2009, Shannon is Hunx and His Punx's bass player as well. I was giddy for them too, so I'm packing a lot of love for this girl, I can tell you that much.

Golden Frames is the opener from the 2018 release, Shannon in Nashville, her first solo record. It's a big ol' gut-puncher of a ballad with swirling strings that aim to make your heart flutter. Shannon's super lovesick here (can relate, girl *cries*) and she's aching for a love I guess she has either lost or been separated from. I feel her heartache is certainly worth the almost ridiculous wall of sound style heights of the chorus that Shannon's weapon of a voice doesn't just conquer, but wipes out. I hope you enjoy it even just a fraction as much as I do xheart And thanks again so much to those of you who helped me choose this song. I didn't expect so many NF voters! It made me happy.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm so sad that I didn't get to vote for this,
but i got so busy, sorry my friend

I wish you the best of luck xheart

Don't worry whatsoever, Joao. I know you've been super busy. These lovely shows ain't gonna make themselves, are they? hehe. Also, it was a clear winner in the end so one more set of votes wouldn't have made a difference.

Uto

Veteran
Those NF results... If I die, I want Krishoes to organize my burial, man is certainly massive talent at that.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Those NF results... If I die, I want Krishoes to organize my burial, man is certainly massive talent at that.

I'd like Kris to organize my birthday, wedding and pop career. You'd feel safe knowing the focus is going to be on just YOU cause you're the very best, and that everyone else around that may ruin your birthday, wedding or pop career is going to be destroyed. You'd also be treated to the finest ice cream in Europe xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
shannon-shaw-opener.jpg

5th in Semi 2 with 92 Points / 17th in REJU with 18 Points
13th
in the Grand Final with 127 Points

Thank you for all the Shannon love xheart I think I can consider my first Garage Rock NF a success. 13th is a wonderful finish, especially as it felt such a strong edition! I'll be sending some more garage rock songs very soon... I've got five purty looking leftover banners after all for when I'm feeling a teensy bit lazy. One of the NF songs is for sure gonna get a go at WorldVision in an upcoming edition.

:12: :it:::midw:sobr:
:10: :pl:
:8: :cali::sc::co::hr:
:7: :ir::se::lond:
:6: ::sa
:5: xexcuseme
:4: :neus::ch:
:3: :cn::rs::tr:
:2: :es:
:1: :kyus::svea::pt:

I've no idea what I'm going to do for WV129 yet. I'll surely get a sign soon from the skies above.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
Heyyy snap! I was 5th in Semi 1 too... Wait, what??

Haha, well done Kai - you converted a far better result in the final from your semi result. I had a better reju result, but then died in the final. Probably ended up as too many people's mid-table choice resulting in 0-0-0 - ESC voting can be so fickle...

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member
"Golden Frames" has been a treat and I wish I could've give it more but oh well, my multipolar bop-loving, chill vibing, instrumental hoeing brain couldn't decide at all this edition. :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the same boat for WV129. So many directions to go xthink

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Heyyy snap! I was 5th in Semi 1 too... Wait, what??

Haha, well done Kai - you converted a far better result in the final from your semi result. I had a better reju result, but then died in the final. Probably ended up as too many people's mid-table choice resulting in 0-0-0 - ESC voting can be so fickle...

Oooh.... whoopsie haha.

The craziest moment I've had I think is when I sent a song by my idol Kurt Vile that finally managed to get him into the final. He came joint last in that final, tied with four other songs (he beat them all on voter count x). I then find out he came 5th in the semi. I was like ".............". Sometimes you really get super lucky draws. Other times you scrape past by the skin of your teeth and then slay the final. I got a bronze medal finish once after being only a point away from missing the final.

theditz83

Veteran
I sometimes wonder how different the results might look if we sent our full rankings and they were given points based on their actual placings in the ranking. But that's just the geeky Excel stat monster in me talking :lol:

cegs5

Well done Kai on your success with garage rocker Shannon. I was surprised myself when I cast my votes in the Final and couldn’t get her in... blame some growers such as Merio’s Poland ... It was such a competitive edition for my taste. At least I was able to show my appreciation for your entry in the Semifinal.
Always looking forward to listening to your next entry xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
"Golden Frames" has been a treat and I wish I could've give it more but oh well, my multipolar bop-loving, chill vibing, instrumental hoeing brain couldn't decide at all this edition. :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the same boat for WV129. So many directions to go xthink

CURSE YOU FOR LOVING EVERYTHING. I'm drawing such a blank when trying to think of what I'd like to send next. I haven't been listening much to anything recently (not been in the right mood), and I don't have anything in mind. I mean that's dumb though as I have a million songs I love and I play as United States. I don't know why I'm confused. I might round up a few songs I've had under consideration for a long while and pick one from a hat.

I sometimes wonder how different the results might look if we sent our full rankings and they were given points based on their actual placings in the ranking. But that's just the geeky Excel stat monster in me talking :lol:

Oh that would be the disaster of our century. What I like about WorldVision is that polarising stuff has a chance to succeed. If we had full rankings I'm pretty sure more daring choices would get squashed and we'd have whatever is the most inoffensive song winning each edition.

Well done Kai on your success with garage rocker Shannon. I was surprised myself when I cast my votes in the Final and couldn’t get her in... blame some growers such as Merio’s Poland ... It was such a competitive edition for my taste. At least I was able to show my appreciation for your entry in the Semifinal.
Always looking forward to listening to your next entry xheart

I couldn't fit Peru into my final ranking either. You were my 11th this time (I think I gave 4 points in the semi). You enjoyed Shannon still though, that's all that matters to me xheart Nicole Atkins did release a new album a couple of months ago if ever I find myself especially.. hungry for Peruvian votes...... *licks lips*

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

HiKFrIJ.png

Is it the journey or the destination?
Is this love or is this addiction?
If circumstances are meant to be
What does that say about you and me?
Karaoke on a Monday night
Television when we want to hide
Frozen dinners when money's tight
Makin' love on a laundry pile

Ain't got much but we got each other
Not much but love to offer
I took you up

Good friends, good company
In every corner of this country
But none of them quite get me
The way you get me
Long drives through the countryside
Cheap motels, diners, and dives
Calling numbers on the billboard signs
See who picks up on the other line

Ain't got much, but we got each other
I took you up

Lonely even when you're standing there
In so deep, with few words to share
Sometimes love gets you so damn depressed
All you can do is hide from it
But I wouldn't have it any other way
Wouldn't take the mansions or the getaways
Wouldn't trade love for a million bucks
If I have you, then that's enough

Ain't got much, but we got each other
I took you up

giphy.gif

Courtney Marie Andrews is an Americana songwriter originally from Phoenix, Arizona. She was briefly a member of the rock band Jimmy Eat World and in 2018 released her album, May Your Kindness Remain, which is where the song I'm sharing this edition lives. Took You Up is a song about a love that shines brighter than its impoverished surroundings. Frozen dinners and cheap motels, but Courtney wouldn't have it any other way though. Wouldn't trade love for a million bucks. Having her partner by her side is enough.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
courtney_marie_andrews_03.jpg

6th in Semi 1 with 91 Points / 3rd in REJU with 44 Points
4th
in the Grand Final with
158 Points

Amazing result for Courtney. Thank you xheart The last and only other time I've gotten 4th was when I sent Mikal Cronin with Piano Mantra. That was I think almost five years ago. Where does the time go? I'm actually shocked. The Americana genre has done me well here, and it's also one of my favourite areas in music to spend hours getting lost, discovering new artists. Sooner than later I'd like to give you an Americana NF perhaps. I've got so much twangy, rootsy American stuff still I want to share with you.

:12: :ir::hu:::midw
:10: :cy:
:8: :svea::neus::no::jp:
:7: :nl::lv::rs:
:6: :ie::is::tr::pe:
:5: :ca::lond:
:4: :kr::fi::pt:::onta
:3: :au:
:2: :ch::sobr:
:1: :sc::it:::cepo

Next edition? Eh... absolutely no idea again. I'll have a thinky. Ideas and wishes on a postcard.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
🍊🍒🍌IT'S COMEBACK TIME🍌🍒🍊
WHO MAKES IT TO WV130?

FormalImperturbableAllosaurus-small.gif

Father John Misty returns? King Tuff returns?
(the fact this gif exists delights my soul)

tenor.gif

Kim Petras has had enough of being my backup for the past ten editions?

giphy.gif

Or was it actually Kali Uchis who tied for 1st at the NF I held at the start of the year?

tumblr_ncbxv8qysQ1qjcyqno2_500.gifv

Does my most played artist Ariel Pink hate the fact I've sent him to WV just once?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

3MlCjDZ.png

Father John Misty (Josh Tillman) returns to WorldVision. I Love You, Honeybear is a dark love song taken from the eccentric singer-songwriter's 2015 album of the same name. There's a brutal honesty in Father John Misty's work, so much so that at first he was uncomfortable sharing the songs from this particular album with friends and family. Mr. Tillman's wife Emma came up with the idea for the beautiful yet terribly tragic music video, and stars alongside her husband in it as they play an unlucky couple whose home experiences a gas leak.

I bought this album on release and loved everything on it, but weirdly hadn't seen the video for I Love You, Honeybear until now. Father John Misty has been uploading music videos for his old songs to his official channel recently, and I clicked on this and was overwhelmed by it all. That bit towards the end as Misty's floating on the stretcher, his wife swimming whilst he splashes his arms in vain as she slips away from him 💧 It gives me goosebumps. Along with that saloon piano, the strings arhhhhh... I just love his songwriting brain so much.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oh, Honeybear, Honeybear
Honeybear, ooh
Mascara, blood, ash and cum
On the Rorschach sheets where we make love
Honeybear, Honeybear
Honeybear, ooh
Fuck the world, damn straight malaise
It may be just us who feel this way

But don't ever doubt this, my steadfast conviction
My love, you're the one I wanna watch the ship go down with
The future can't be real, I barely know how long a moment is
Unless we're naked, getting high on the mattress
While the global market crashes
As death fills the streets we're garden-variety oblivious
You grab my hand and say in "I-told-you-so" voice
"It's just how we expected"

Everything is doomed
And nothing will be spared
But I love you, honeybear
Ooh, ooh

Honeybear, honeybear
Honeybear, ooh
Ooh, ooh

You're bent over the altar and the neighbors are complaining
That the misanthropes next door are probably conceiving a Damien
Don't they see the darkness rising? Good luck fingering oblivion
We're getting out now while we can
You're welcome, boys, have the last of the smokes and chicken
Just one Cadillac will do to get us out to where we're going
I've brought my mother's depression
You've got your father's scorn and a wayward aunt's schizophrenia

But everything is fine
Don't give into despair
'Cause I love you, honeybear
Ooh, oh

Honeybear, honeybear
Honeybear, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh

FATHERJOHNILOVEYOUHO_1200x.png

Last edited:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member
m o o d

This song has stuck with me for days now, I will never be the same.
Good luck xheat Anything less than top 31 is robbery if you ask me xamandalearsmile

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
m o o d

This song has stuck with me for days now, I will never be the same.
Good luck xheat Anything less than top 31 is robbery if you ask me xamandalearsmile
Excuse almost week later response

808c6c777f547cb04447fb453af527f5.245x245x32.gif

Yes, indeed a scandalous lyrical king. His writing style is very much an acquired taste but I love it. He uses dark comedy a lot of the time and it's often tricky to know what's sarcasm and what's not. He sort of weaves bizarrely between irony and sincerity.

I read that as "top 31" and thought, oh that's doable I guess. I feel like this one by Father John Misty is not gonna make it, but if so then it will give me an excuse to plonk him straight into my upcoming Americana NF :cool: There's a gorgeous but absolutely scathing piano ballad by him that's been on my list to send since I joined pretty much.

Top Bottom