kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ⦁ California ⦁ Hawai'i ⦁ Oregon ⦁ Washington

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV97 - Chromatics - Shadow

7rhHir7.png
Chromatics are a four piece dream pop band from Portland, Oregon, formed in 2001. The band today comprises of lead vocalist Ruth Radelet (also plays guitar and synthesizer), Adam Miller, Nat Walker and Johnny Jewel. To date the band have released four albums, with a fifth called Dear Tommy on the horizon. Chromatics music often draws comparisons to Italo Disco, a genre of music that was popular in Italy and other places particularly around Europe during the late 80s to early 90s. The style of music incorporated heavy use of drum machines and healthy dollops of synthesizer for a spacey, and very futuristic at the time kind of pop.

Shadow you may remember (unless you have goldfish memory like me) was the runner up of the little last minute NF I held last edition that featured two Chromatics songs and two from Sir Sly. It was always my intention to send the best scoring song of the runner up band in that NF to the contest, and so here we are. I discovered this band and song thanks to the revival of my favourite tv series ever, Twin Peaks. At the end of each new episode (occasionally in between), we're taken to the smoky Bang Bang Bar and there we are treated to performances from a whole host of bands and singers including The Nine Inch Nails, Lissie (totally surprised me seeing her there), Sharon Van Etten and dream pop queen and series veteran, Julee Cruise. Chromatics though were the act who stuck with me the most. After an intensely wild first couple of hours, we open the doors of the mysterious Bang Bang Bar for the first time and Chromatics close the double episode with what can only be described as the mother of all homages to everything Twin Peaks and Lynchian. My body slayed to little teenie weenie pieces in the process. Twin Peaks was back.

M8thA0v.png

Twin Peaks is an American murder mystery drama created by David Lynch and Mark Frost. It ran in the early 90s for two series and was a complete game changer that had a huge influence on pop culture at the time, and to this day continues to find new fans, as well as inspiring a whole new generation of budding directors and artists. Twin Peaks plot centers around the murder of Laura Palmer, a girl found found wrapped in plastic and dumped on the edge of a river outside the logging town, Twin Peaks. FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper is called in to investigate the murder and he meets a cast of weird and wonderful characters along the way. Part of what makes Twin Peaks so special is that there's nothing else quite like it. One minute you're looking at some grisly and horrific scene that has taken you totally by surprise, and then the very next you're watching Dale Cooper getting the hots for a piece of cherry pie from the Double R Diner. It's campy as well as being disturbing, and for better or worse (I pick better) has an awful lot in common with soap operas.

giphy.gif

I watched the first two series in I think around 2010 if I remember correctly. My favourite video game Deadly Premonition (known during development as Rainy Woods) was a scandalous love letter to Twin Peaks, with many strong similarities, some of which were altered before release (I guess to avoid any lawsuits). I fell in love with the games world and bizarre bunch of characters. I was given more than enough reason to check out what was the inspiration behind it. I instantly fell in love with everything about Twin Peaks, and subsequently became a big David Lynch fan. Another thing that was so special about Twin Peaks was its music. David Lynch and the composer Angelo Badalamenti have had a lifelong partnership working together. Badalamenti (who I sent to WorldVision back at Christmas with Marianne Faithfull) composed the moody and mysterious, yet achingly beautiful soundtrack for the series and worked together with the singer Julee Cruise, who would become a symbolic figure of the Twin Peaks universe. Sound is something that's so important in Lynch's work, so Badalamenti's contribution to Twin Peaks was pivotal.

Series 2 of Twin Peaks ends on a humongous cliff hanger but besides the feature length film Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, fans were left waiting twenty five years to return to their favourite logging town for more mysteries and cherry pie. Most of the characters return for season 3, all (I believe except for a Sheriff) played by their original actors and actresses. One scene in particular broke my heart. An iconic character played by an actress who sadly was dying in real life filmed her final scenes for Twin Peaks as she was gravely ill. It wasn't even acting. It was real and the most poignant moment i've experienced from watching anything before I think in my life. It really left a mark on me and I still think about it. The third series is strange though. Brilliant... but strange and different to the first two. It was wonderful going back again to this town and meeting all the characters. My problem with it was that it was so good that I just wanted more, and i'm unsure if we're ever going to get a fourth helping as this took Lynch and Frost years and years to write, and a lot of actors and actresses are aging. I'd love to find out more about characters like Wally (played by the legendary Michael Cera) and have all the loose ends tied up. But that's not how David Lynch works. He likes to leave you pondering over his work. His other films themselves are confusing. Some mysteries are just never meant to be solved I guess.

Find below a treat. An extended version of Shadow, not quite Daniel levels of long but lengthy enough to get a work out from the slow swaying in front of your mirror that you will experience whilst listening to it. You get to see some scenes from the third season of Twin Peaks as well. Live that fantasy.. for the last time... for the last time... for the last time... for the last time.

cCYPkMg.png

5Xy6.gif

It feels great to finally be sending a piece of music attached to this universe I love so much with you all. I always imagined me sending something by Julee Cruise, but I think this Chromatics piece captures perfectly the vibe of Twin Peaks. I love it so much. I hope you enjoy itxheart And maybe someone here even gets interested in watching the series? *wink wink* That would be great! I don't think i've come across any David Lynch fans on this forum yet.

tumblr_otlasg917I1ql7xb0o5_1280.gif

"This cherry pie is a miracle" - Log Lady

IoQxnvA.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

38b2b286.png

3rd in the Final with 199 Points
1st in Semi 1 with 148 Points / Reju 16th with 20 Points

Woah that semi result has me absolutely gobsmacked. My best ever I think (unless you wanna count Nicole Atkins ridiculous combined regular+reju score of something like 230+ points). Thanks so much for all the support. Another song where my timing was really bad in terms of the edition it was sent (if only it won my NF the previous editionxfacepalm) but a bronze for something I love so much is special. Maybe one day i'll win a photo finish moment in a final. But if it shan't ever happen then no matter as you've already certainly given me enough to feel touched by. Thank youxheartxrose

:12: :wale::susa::pl::us:
:10: :lond::ua::ba:de:cali::vn::kr:
:8: :no:rr:fr:
:7: Bolivia
:6: :mx::nl::is::ca::it:
:5: :dk:
:4: ::sthm:west:::bava:au::gr:
:3: :svea::sl:
:2: ::nswa:sobr:
:1: :neus:::yohu:lv:

I don't know what to do now. It was supposed to be Dessa next edition and I was ready for the moment (getting myself pumped up), but again people banned etc who I know love her and that's killing my enthusiasm as she's one of those icons I don't want to see flop, and she's already risky. But then do I keep delaying something because the situation isn't perfect, or do I find my balls and just do it? Oooo weeee I probably should..... or do I bring back Sadistik instead, debut King Tuff or Linda Perhacs? Send Kermit the frog? The answer will surely come to me tonight in a divine dream or be shown to me through some kind of other sign.

Himan

Here is your sign :lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I thought you have NF. No?

I had an NF the previous edition which was Sir Sly vs Chromatics. I might have a quick very small one for next edition. I haven't decided yet.

And thanks for the 10 for Chromatics and 12 for Sir Sly, Vladxheatxheart I think you've probably been my biggest supporter these past few editions. I'm glad these entries have been pleasing youxyes

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Here is your sign :lol:

No spoilers in this topic please.

That song actually means a lot to me. Bless Kermit's little heart *swoons*. Rainbow Connection has been on my potential entry list for a long time in fact. Waiting for a special moment.

Krishoes

Congrats KaiKai (:rolleyes:) This is the first song of yours I've added to my Spotify playlists before you entered it in WV

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Congrats KaiKai (:rolleyes:) This is the first song of yours I've added to my Spotify playlists before you entered it in WV

Thank you KrisKris and for the 12xheatxheart It actually doesn't surprise me how much you like Shadow. When reading up about this band I see many mentions of their connection to the Italo Disco genre, and their own record label they even called Italians Do It Better. They obviously have a love for hot classy Italian electronic pop.

Have you heard this one by them? I think you'll like it as well...

Fierro

And thanks for the 10 for Chromatics and 12 for Sir Sly, Vladxheatxheart I think you've probably been my biggest supporter these past few editions. I'm glad these entries have been pleasing youxyes

Those 2 songs alone are enough payoff for Aldous Harding :rolleyes: Great entries!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Those 2 songs alone are enough payoff for Aldous Harding :rolleyes: Great entries!

tumblr_orfvwc8CI81uxfoxgo2_500.gif

No shading of New Zealand via Mid-Atlantic States icon Aldous Harding allowed. I would punish you by sending her again, but she sadly doesn't have any other duets with Americans available...... so i'll just let this gif of her haunt your dreams instead.

Swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll dooooeeeeesssss theeeee ssskkuuuuuuuuuull

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

xNzUXHx.gif

I still don't know what to do.. whether to move and hold a quick 3 song Dessa NF (originally the plan was 5 songs) or to just send something internal, and then do Dessa for WV99. I do have plenty of artists from Pacific States i've had plans to send but haven't yet, so that's no problem. The problem is I just hate being so meticulous sometimes. I had planned on sending Dessa three times before, each time backing out because someone I knew who appreciated her music wouldn't be playing that next particular edition. I guess cause she's a very dear artist to me, and I want her to have the best chance I can give her possible. It's going to be a nerve wracking edition enough for me just sending her. Quen Dessa soon come either way. It's just i'm in a moment of limbo right now. If I decide to do the NF it will have at least 3 days of voting time, and you all were lovely when I gave you just 48 hours to vote in my last NF, and that one had 4 songs. This NF would have 3 songs from her new album Chime. One feisty, empowering hip number, a beautiful emotional ballad with strings and a third song combining aspects of both the previous two whilst also packing a poignant climax.

#Deniz may have died after last editions voting deadline, but i'm sure his spirit would still be there next edition, cheering Dessa on and possibly getting her disqualified in the process. #Justice4TurkishWheelOfFortune

p.s. where has Deniz gone? I miss him. I fear he may have been captured by bandits. His last activity was liking my predictions post I made half an hour after the voting deadline had passed where I claimed Aging Region as a potential threat to the crown....... hmmmm suspicious activity. A case for Crime Watch with Anne Robinson.

dlQVG0.gif

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
9w8752fv2jw11.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I'm back! So here's what I'm thinking for our next entry:

I'm sending a showtune! For the first time ("Over the Rainbow" doesn't count)! And it's really not how I thought I'd bring Broadway to WV. The song I've chosen was the "trendy" Broadway song for a while that a lot of moderately talented and moderately handsome people were trying to sing, and thanks to that, I think I let the song be ruined for me.

Then, like magic, it came on in a Cheesecake Factory a few weeks ago and I nearly broke down. Separated from its reputation, it's so powerful - an absolute stunner. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do and did in that moment.

Eulaliya

So glad you're finally back Calvin! xrunhug

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
You make yourself known here by destroying my state hopping hall of fame main post, and then posting a picture of the most irksome queen from All Stars Season 3, Bebe Zahara Benet. Can you be anymore offensive? Perhaps a picture of Mikal Cronin walking the plank naked is coming.. *patiently waits in rowing boat below*

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
He's back, he's back, he's back *bounces around room* Overjoyed to find out what you've got for us dearest xlove

Also, this greenroom feels a LOT neater and tidier since you took over... ;)

ZoboCamel

Glad to have you back! I look forward to finding out whether this is an "I give you 12 points" edition or a "you're last on my rankings for the semi" edition, given that you've always sent a pretty even split between the two :lol:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
DloVnCJVsAE69C_.jpg

Top Bottom