Marcos C

kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ⦁ California ⦁ Hawai'i ⦁ Oregon ⦁ Washington

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV95 - Andrew W.K. - Music Is Worth Living For

48 hour sudden death VS NF soon come. Prepare bodies and 15 minutes of your time.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV96 - 48 hour NF! Sir Sly vs Chromatics

Apologies this is so short notice, but this vs NF idea came into my head and I had to do it. I've had both these artist down on my Pacific States shortlist for a long time and always planned to send them both. The problem i've had is deciding on what song to send, as I love these four equally.

Sir Sly released one of my absolute favourite albums of 2017. High was the infectious jam that got me into the band, but i'm also in love with the trippy psych-rock of Astronaut. I adore their lead man, Landon Jacobs. I find him super charming. Perhaps it's time for Pacific States to have another psych-rock fantasy?

Chromatics i've known of for quite a while, but I paid proper attention when they performed their dream pop song, Shadow, at the end of the comeback episode of my favourite tv show ever, Twin Peaks. Last month they released the equally dreamy Blue Girl, a song which i've been addicted to for the past week or so. I love the way Ruth Radelet's ethereal vocals float over that very forward bass and the synths.

I'm having a dilemma here, as I love both bands, and each of the four of these songs. All have been at one time or another strongly on my mind as internal choice picks. If you're unsure what you'll think of these songs, take a peek at the recap video I made. If you enjoyed anything here, I would appreciate your help so much. Oh, and whichever band loses, don't fear! Both will come to WorldVision. I'll keep the scores of the unlucky artist a secret, and you may just be seeing whoever doesn't win this at WorldVision as well, at a later date.

Thanks for helping me outxheart You've got a couple of days to vote. I'll most likely be sending my entry in on the morning of the 18th of July.

DenizESC

Banned

Aegaen Region *insert random sexy flag* will vote soon!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Aegaen Region *insert random sexy flag* will vote soon!

Thank you Aging Region. I am curious to find out exactly what you make of these songs. I hope at least one of them catches your fancy.

And speaking of flags, this apparently is the Aegaen Empire flag..

BernadetteCydonia

all this and no Gold... but on the other hand why did I even expect it being there when you said Sir Sly released a new album

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

all this and no Gold... but on the other hand why did I even expect it being there when you said Sir Sly released a new album

I like Gold but their new sound is much, much more my thing, as I adore psych rock. They've certainly changed a lot from then to now. I haven't seen a band before go through such a style change.

And thanks to those who have voted so far. Extreeeeeeemely close! Maybe i'm about to get the tight NF of my dreams, where I don't know what i'm sending until the deadline has passed?xheat Keep them votes coming please. You've got just over a day left. Would love to hear from any of youxheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you to everyone that has voted so farxheart I guess i'll send my entry in within the next few hours before I go to sleep, so you've still got some time if you'd like to listen to the songs and help me. Seven of you voted so far, which is amazing, especially considering this was such a last minute thing.

JSSArcos

Oh, I'm glad I got to vote. :)

Great NF xheatxheat I think I've already been addicted to a song :lol:

I hope any of my TOP 3 wins xcrossed

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

LinearSizzlingBeagle-max-1mb.gif

9 voters! Amazingxheat Thank you so much to everyone who voted. I didn't think i'd get that many voters in just two days but you people really helped me outxheart Here's how things ended up looking...

Band X - 56 Points (Top in 4 rankings)
Band Y - 51 Points (Top in 2 rankings)
Band X - 48 Points (Top in 3 rankings)
Band Y - 36 Points (Top in 2 rankings)

So in the end it was a two horse race, although the third song wasn't that far behind. The winner was only placed at the bottom with one person, and four of you had it as a favourite, with the rest also having it on a healthy sized number.

What surprised me quite a bit was the song in last place. I expected it to be much better received (possibly the front runner), and it ended up the clear flop of this NF, with seven out of nine of you placing it as your bottom song.

Anyway, i'm excited though to reveal to you soon what song won. This NF has potentially netted me two entries as well, as i'm keen to send the losing artist too at a later date. But for now i'll see you all in luxurious Knightsbridge with either Sir Sly or Chromatics.

img.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV96 - Sir Sly - High

PZvN1uG.png

OkF8jiN.png

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

7sDtd4U.png

NF RESULTS, Bio + other things soon come, stay tuned

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

KST6Dum.png
Sir Sly are an American rock three piece group based in Los Angeles, California. The band comprises of front man Landon Jacobs and instrumentalists Jason Suwito and Hayden Coplen. Their debut album You Haunt Me was released back in 2014. They gained some attention when their song Gold was used on a trailer for Assassin's Creed Black Flag, strangely enough a video game series that I played for years. It wasn't though until their sophomore album that Sir Sly came to my own attention. Don't You Worry, Honey released in 2017, with it spawning the popular Billboard Alternative charting hits &Run and my entry you helped pick for WorldVision 96, High.

Don't You Worry, Honey is an uplifting listen, and an album I strongly recommend to you if you enjoy High. It's full of super catchy synth-pop treats topped with a dollop of some trippy psych. Songs like Fun are super infectious eargasms, but still pack a lot of emotional weight, something which I think helps to set Sir Sly apart a bit from their contemporaries. Oh Mama is a certified cry jam even. There are four or five songs from the record I would have been easily up for sharing with you people at WorldVision, but High feels like the right debut for Sir Sly. Also, isn't that music video like the flyest thing ever? Landon Jacobs has got the moves.

DepJI4t.png

e0BHVpX.png

Sir Sly's result in this NF was a very pleasant surprise for me, with both High and Astronaut doing very well. Chromatics runner up Shadow put up a decent fight, but it wasn't enough to topple the fun psych rock of Sir Sly. I figured any song in the mini selection could potentially win, but one thing that did shock me was Blue Girl being a flop. I honestly thought that Chromatics song would have been a front runner here with it's gorgeous music video and contemporary vibes. Only Gera had strong love for it, with Robert also placing it as his favourite (although with 6 points, so i'm unsure how much it really tickled his fancy). Needless to say though, High was the most loved song from the NF.

Big thank you again to everyone who helped me pick this out. I had originally planned to send Sir Sly with this very song 15 editions ago, but then sadly Chris Cornell passed away, so I did a Soundgarden tribute instead before moving back to Mid-Atlantic States where I stayed for 9 years. Sir Sly were my number one reason for this particular Pacific States return, so i'm kind of thrilled you pushed for them in this NF and helped me in choosing what's hopefully *fingers crossed* the right song. Chromatics will get their chance another time.

Hope you have fun with Highxheart I fell in love with this feel-good song from the first listen, and their latest album turned me into a big Sir Sly fan. I love psych rock and it's been a while since i've heard it done with strong pop sensibilities this well. I'm looking forward to their next record which apparently is supposed to be heading in more of a hip direction. Below is one more video for you. A slick live version of High. I invite you all to get high with Sir Sly. Don't be Sir Shy.

3O4G9dC.png

s30LSfi.gif

DenizESC

Banned

Wow xheat me and [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] basically voted the exact same, I just punished the bottom 2 a little more.

DenizESC 2nd Calvin account confirmed

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

A late thank you for voting Sir Sly through to the finalxheart I didn't expect them to receive such a warm reaction overall.

KST6Dum.png
xsponge

Serious future talk now. Unsure really what to do. It's fast approaching WV100 and I have got a plan for that edition, so the decision I make for this next edition (WV97) is kind of important. I've only got one chance now for a quick detour.

WV97 ?
WV98 ?
WV99 ? (looking forward though to watching everyone whipping out scorewhores this edition in an attempt to win the chance to host WV100 x)
WV100 Hot anniversary edition. Need to be with Mid-Atlantic States
WV101 My 50th anniversary entry - preferably would like to be with Mid-Atlantic States for it.

There's something I want to send still from Pacific States before moving back to Mid-Atlantic States, but at the same time, i'd like to send someone special i've been meaning to send for a long time before we reach the 100th edition, and i'm unsure on her eligibility with Mid-Atlantic States. Her twitter states "Minneapolis | Manhattan" and I remember finding interviews where she talked about coming back to her Manhattan home between tours. I don't know if "I now live half time in New York and I look confident enough walking down the street to be stopped by the occasional tourist for directions" would be enough, but I hope it would be. My WV100 entrant is top secret but is gonna be shocking. Earthquake incoming. My 50th entry the edition afterwards is not set exactly in stone but I will pick out something very personal. I'm considering the possibility of a Nico return, something I never thought i'd have it in me to do. I'm kinda feeling that crazy idea though. It's a milestone so I gotta make it something worthy. Nico, Aaron Lee Tasjan, The War On Drugs, Elliott Smith and Antony be lining up to win that honor of entry numbero fifteeo.

After my 50th entry, my plan is then to take a break for a few editions. Thinking time is good time.

Me after WorldVision 101

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

ExcellentFoolhardyBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

2nd in the Final with 161 Points
2nd in Semi 1 with 100 Points / REJU 3rd with 39 Points

Wow, still kind of flabbergasted by this result. Sir Sly were so close to winning. It's admittedly a bittersweet feeling as I honestly would have melted with happiness winning with a song like this, but then this is still such an amazing result, and one that surpassed all the expectations I had for High originally. I was thinking in my head that it would go mid table. Delighted though that people seemed to have had as much fun with Sir Sly as I have had the past year. Thanks again to my NF voters who finally pushed me into sending these guys (have had them as my backup entry multiple times). For some reason I always considered them kind of risky (I felt the same way about The War On Drugs as well for the longest time), but Sir Sly slayed their semi as well even, despite only having two NF voters there. Furthermore this final felt really competitive, so i'm extra shocked. Thanks to all the support you gave Sir Slyxrose I can't believe they sit besides Nicole Atkins, John Cale and The War Of Drugs in my score tablexheat

:12: :jp:::kyiv:cali: Bolivia
:10: ::sthm:sobr:
:8: :kr::pl: Aging Region
:7: :neus::bcol::ru::susa:
:6: :au::us:
:5: :sc::ie:
:4: :de::dk::in:
:3: :hu:
:2: :hr:
:1: ::bava:it:

For next edition I think I will slow down a bit. I've really enjoyed I guess the more... "fun" sort of direction i've been heading down with my entries lately, but all this gyrating has left me feeling quite exhausted. So I think a chill pill is in order for next edition BUT it's still gonna be something fab, I promise you. You can expect a giant OTT greenroom post for the song if i'm up to it, as the piece has an attachment to something i'm crazy for.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member

Woah, sir sly was indeed....high. :cool:

Thank you for introducing me to this artist that I sometimes spam now, especially the "Astronaut" and this song. I had a feeling it will do pretty good when I made my top 3 prediction and it did :eek: Used all my prediction powers for 100 years now.

Also, sorry for giving it only 5 points. xshifty London smacked me with the "wildcard PQ song that I actually enjoy a damn lot!" and then I got super nostalgic with Sweden. And Turkey. Western USA with my WLSC hit and Croatian goodness. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this edition killed me.

Looking forward for the chill pill :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Woah, sir sly was indeed....high. :cool:

Thank you for introducing me to this artist that I sometimes spam now, especially the "Astronaut" and this song. I had a feeling it will do pretty good when I made my top 3 prediction and it did :eek: Used all my prediction powers for 100 years now.

Also, sorry for giving it only 5 points. xshifty London smacked me with the "wildcard PQ song that I actually enjoy a damn lot!" and then I got super nostalgic with Sweden. And Turkey. Western USA with my WLSC hit and Croatian goodness. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this edition killed me.

Looking forward for the chill pill :D

This edition killing you, meanwhile i'm like..

5kbj.gif

I can see why lots of people loved this final so much though. I don't envy you. I hate it when you have to make really hard decisions. Gosh, 5 points is fantastic though! Thank you very much Geraxheart It wasn't even your favourite from the NF, so I wouldn't have been shocked if a 1 or 2 came or even a 0, but 5 is actually chunky and rather funky.

And Astronaut is amazing. I very almost sent that internally a while back. They have so many good songs.

Chill pill is...... kind of predictable but I think some of you may like itxqueenbitch (don't worry it's not a scorewhore, just a rainywhore)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

When your two favourite weird kings of bedroom lo-fi pops surprise release a song together and your body wasn't prepared..

200.gif

Thank you godxheart It even has a sax part. I won't ask for anything ever again...... except a new Mikal Cronin album and a Dessa X Sadistik collaboration record.

Top Bottom