Pacific States 🌊 WV 190: Allie X - Black Eye

Marcos C

kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ⦁ California ⦁ Hawai'i ⦁ Oregon ⦁ Washington

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV65 - The return of Mikal Cronin, NF on page 29!

We've hit the magic number and have 10 voters now. A big thank you to dear Cesarxheart In celebration of this momentous occasion, here is a gif of Mikal Cronin riding his bicycle.

runJK9.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Part Time - Strangest Eyes
MI0003590905.jpg

Final DNQ
Semi 2 13th Regular with 44 points / 9th Reju 45 points

Thank you to everyone that voted for Part Time. A very special thank you to the three 12 pointer voters, Kris, Calvin and Stephxheat but all the points meant something to me herexrose I wouldn't have guessed that i'd be able to get 16 people voting for lo-fi bedroom synth pop, but somehow it happened. Really happy with this result and i'll try again soon with something outsider and a bit off-kilter.

:12: :ca:::losn:mk:
:8: ::flan::subc
:6: :cl::ec:
:5: :lu::lv:
:3: :lond:
:2: ::emro:it::neus::us:
:1: :jp::sc:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

My WorldVision hero voted in my selection todayxheat Thank you very much to Ferxheart Delighted to add your iconic pink, white and blue flag to my list. The last few voters have given me some interesting points. Things are getting juicy at the top. We had a runaway winner but not anymore.

So that's a lovely 11 voters now, and i've got a deadline for you. I'll close this a minute before midnight (my time) on the 19th of this month. WOAH, that's FIVE whole days left still to vote *cough*. Isn't that just splendid.... *cough* Daniel *cough*.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Tomorrow is the last day if you'd like to vote in my Mikal Cronin NF. Extremely short time left. Will I be sending garage rock, country or chamber pop? Please give me an entry as iconic as the Konami E3 2010 press conference. Thank you.

4vkehu.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

hqdefault.jpg

Excellent.. my non stop pestering has paid off. Thank you very much to Daniel for his game changing pointsxheart This is now officially a two horse race, with just a few hours left to vote for your favourite Mikal Cronin songs.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV65 - Mikal Cronin - Piano Mantra​

Yxww71W.png

By a near enough unanimous decision, you picked Mikal Cronin's "Piano Mantra" as my entry for the 65th edition of WorldVision. This is a poignant, heart-rending piece that fits in place as the closer to the stunning California-infused power pop album, "MCII". With only a few notable exceptions, Cronin played all the instruments on the record. This particular song is all Mikal with K. Dylan Edrich providing the viola and violin you hear. The song starts as a slow, melancholic lament and over the course of it's duration builds to something ginormous and ultimately hopeful, as a loud wall of fuzzy guitar explodes itself onto the track for the climax.

"Now overdrawn, I’m coming back home. Sink my roots and I’ll be gold. Your open arms are giving me hope."

A fine line is crossed, no way back over
A long time, I’m lost, I can’t see over

Can you hear me or is it in my mind?
I don't know..

I learn hard, I’m tired, I’m sick I’m broke up
You find out what’s gone just when it’s used up

Now overdrawn, I’m coming back home
Sink my roots and I’ll be gold
Your open arms are giving me hope

Now overdrawn, I’m coming back home
Sink my roots and I’ll be gold
Your open arms are giving me hope

mikal-cronin.jpg

If you've got a little time and have the slightest bit of interest in Mikal's music, then I highly suggest you check out this touching Garage Swim mini documentary about Mikal. It starts off with a live acoustic performance of "Piano Mantra", and he speaks a little about it's creation. It may sound a bit strange, but it was watching this video recently that helped me to realize that this man is my favourite artist alive making music today, and subsequently I pushed forward sharing with you all his music again. It was a line in particular that really got to me..

Maybe it's a little more universal than just me. People have told me they listen to a song and say "I relate to that". Basically you're not alone and that's kind of like cathertic, and it's nice.

It's pretty much the biggest thing I get from music. To find artists I can relate to and have them heal whatever it is that needs healing, or to soothe. This man has done exactly that for the few years i've been listening to him. His music means a great deal to me. Incredibly powerful stuff in that video I think.

________________​

If you'd like to listen to some more garage rock then this free Garage Swim album is a great place to start, including exclusive tracks from awesome American rockers like Thee Oh Sees, King Tuff (a personal favourite of mine), Black Lips, King Khan and of course, the man himself, Mikal Cronin.

___________​

NF RF Results

4zKYCIi.png

Not quite the landslide I at one point thought this was going to be but still a comfortable enough lead for "Piano Mantra". It would have taken an extra couple of voters at the very least to make a change here. "v) Different" did very well and that actually surprised me a bit, as I didn't think there would be room for two super emotional pieces at the top. Many of you really like that one though. A worthy runner up. In 3rd place we have (in my opinion) the catchiest Mikal Cronin track, the glorious sunshine soaked garage rock of "Weight". The country ballad "Peace of Mind" had a big fan in HipFlo which helped it to secure 4th. Second from last is the recent discovery "Better Man", and in last is......... "Turn Away". Well, something had to come last but I actually didn't think it would be this track. It's fast becoming one of my favourite Mikal tracks ever, and I think it builds to his most eargasmic moment.

Thank you so much again to all twelve of you who took the time to listen to Mikal's songs and helping me to choose one. Now to keep my fingers crossed that other people will like "Piano Mantra" just as much as most of you did, because I don't have a single one of you in my semixcrazyxheat I'm going to stay optimistic though. I was pleasantly surprised by just how many people got behind this song when voting. Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy the entryxheart

DYQgY43.png

ZoboCamel

Re: Pacific States - WV65 - Mikal Cronin - Piano Mantra

Woo! Glad to see my 12 ended up taking it. Hopefully the power of REJU will get you through to the finals~

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Gargeous garge melancholic rock in the finalxheart In all seriousness, thank you. I was scared I was going to mess up what I achieved with Mikal the previous time I sent him. That final meant a crazy amount and this one does as well. I'm delighted that now about 70 people will be forced to listen to my favourite artist alive, plus i'm excited to see what result i'll achieve the second time round. I can get pumped now. Before I was just bricking it inside.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

I can't wait to see what you produce soon. I hope to see she, based on a Japanese folklore character.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Hello, it is I, your and everyone's 27th favorite pretend Macedonian. I come here to continue my tradition of posting hot sportsmen in your greenroom. As dancesport is absolutely a freaking sport, here is Calvin childhood idol Eugene Katsevman:
eugene-katsevman.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

World Vision 65 - Mikal Cronin - Piano Mantra
mikalcronin0597.jpg

Final 4th with 168 points
Semi 1 Regular 15th with 39 points / 1st Reju with 128 points

Such a happy ending to this nerve-racking edition. Was so scared sending Mikal again but the gamble payed off. 4th!!!? 25 voters (and I noticed 2 OP as wellxheart) Thank you so much to everyone that voted for him. An extra special big thank you to Reju voters that saw him through to the final. Your votes made all the difference. I needed them and they brought me much joy. I'm so happy and grateful. Now to lock Mikal away for as long as I can. I would like to share more of his music with you because i've only shown one very specific side, but you're gonna be waiting a long while now, unless a stork ever delivers me a baby PQ in a blanket or something. Thanks again for this amazing result for my favourite artist alivexheart

:12: :sc:::midw::subc::brit:sk:
:10: ::sthm:us::kr::ca:
:8: :jp:::atti:fo:
:7: :lv:
:6: :lond:
:5: ::latg:sobr:
:4: ::losn::ostl
:3: :uk::nrwe:
:2: ::mazo:tr:
:1: :en:::neen:ma:

I'll be laying off the piano ballads now for a while... Notice I said "piano"............. muaahaaahaa... MUAAAHHAHAAAAAAA MUUUUUAHHHHHHAAAAAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA. Dreamy popsicle ballad incoming, then I promise you i'll be getting "hip" and "edgy" again after that. Actually fear not the ballad coming next edition. It's really lush, dreamy and rich, beautifully produced and it's not all dark or sad like my usual offerings. This one should be easier to swallow. It's the most eargasmic thing i've heard personally in a very long while. It really engulfs you in it's splendour. It's a track that's fresh out as well. Came out a week ago. Now just darn release that music video please [insert name of artist here] in time for the next editionxcrossed

DaFlo

Banned

"hip" and "edgy"

xheat
I really wanted to vote for Mikal again, but unfortunately in this very hot edition he ended up on my 11th place :( So sorry xrose Still congrats on your amazing 4th place xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

xheat
I really wanted to vote for Mikal again, but unfortunately in this very hot edition he ended up on my 11th place :( So sorry xrose Still congrats on your amazing 4th place xheart

Thank you Flo. Don't worry about itxrunhug I wasn't expecting points in such a spectacular final for certain hiptacular tastes. I knew you liked the song and that was enough for mexheart The points I lost from some players I probably gained from others, what with quite a few people having nothing to vote for:lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV65 - Mikal Cronin - Piano Mantra

Artist clue for WorldVision 66. All you need to know is in the gif below.

2iuErDd.gif

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

XMk0tW8.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Pacific States - WorldVision 66

Jem-Beachwood-Canyon-Album-Cover.jpg

For the 66th contest i'm sharing the latest song from the Welsh singer-songwriter and producer now based in LA, Jem. You perhaps may remember her haunting trip hop song "They", released back in 2004. A peculiar and unlikely hit, the song charted in a fair few countries: UK #6, Poland #3, Hungary #1 (O to the M to the G, i'm minor scorewhoring here). From the album "Finally Woken" also sprung the songs "Just A Ride" and "Wish I". Jem released her sophomore album in 2009 entitled "Down To Earth" with it's lead single "It's Amazing", the song I was originally going to share this edition of WorldVision. I was aware though that Jem was plotting her comeback. A new album had been in the pipeline for a very long time and finally we had a date for the record and for her first single in seven years.

"Beachwood Canyon" released on July 1st and it was eargasm at first listen. I knew from that very first play that this was the song I wanted to share with you guys. It marks a new sound for Jem. It's exactly the kind of folk pop/rock I adore, drenched in luscious strings and with a real air of splendour to it. It's magnificent. Jem's vocals are Julee Cruise-esque during the chorus. To top it all off, the song builds to one of the most achingly beautiful bridges that travels into psychedelic territory with melancholic alien synths (I'm guessing a theremin?) and harpsichord. If the rest of the album (also titled Beachwood Canyon) is anything close to this song then gosh, album of the year material right here. I'm besotted. I hope some of you fall in love with this too, and check out some of Jem's earlier stuff if you aren't familiar. I think she was a ridiculously underrated and overlooked pop artist.

Driving up to Beachwood Canyon
Through the trees, a haven on the hill
Ooooooo
Fell in love in Beachwood Canyon
Set up home, a mattress on the floor
Ooooooo

Take my hand
I'll show you how to

Dream a big dream
Wishing upon a star tonight
You'll do what you feel inside
Your hearts the guide
It comes alive tonight

Got so sick in Beachwood Canyon
Hard to breathe with toxins in the walls
Lived it up in Beachwood Canyon
Naked swims and singing by the pool
Life was cool

Take my hand
I'll show you how to

Dream a big dream
Wishing upon a star tonight
Only you know yours
Find your love tonight

In the hills wishing upon a star tonight
Let it out now, don't be shy
The canyon sighs
Dream with me tonight

bb62a3a0e78c823aba700162cb8b24b7.jpg

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV66 - Jem - Beachwood Canyon

Absolutely gorgeous song once again Kai! Loved it xlove Hope that she shines as much for you as so many other icons have done xpray

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Absolutely gorgeous song once again Kai! Loved it xlove Hope that she shines as much for you as so many other icons have done xpray

Thank you for the lovely words Robert. I'm so pleased you enjoy Jem's song as much as you doxrose

Genesis

Once again Pacific Woods deliver! xbow What a lovely tune this is! Good luck with it dear Rainy xheart

Top Bottom