Midwestern USA

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
yV2p7h7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Genesis

Re: Midwest USA - WV 61 - Doomtree - Beacon

Nice song Rainy. Not going to lie that I was hoping for "Generators", but this one is not bad at all (not that I'm hearing it for the first time :p)
I hope you can qualify with this! :)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Nice song Rainy. Not going to lie that I was hoping for "Generators", but this one is not bad at all (not that I'm hearing it for the first time :p)
I hope you can qualify with this! :)

latest

If only you'd have voted. Had it not been such a lead for "Beacon" in the end I would have combined Robert and Calvin's votes as one, so it would have been close. "Generator" would have been super polarizing but from the LL reaction it looks like "Beacon" wasn't exactly the accessible hip hit I thought it could possibly be. Damn. Oh well, "crossed fingers for the win" as P.O.S spits during his verse. By win I mean final, because that's all i'd like really, to make it therexpray Anyway, thanks. Glad you still like the song Marioxheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Big thank you to everyone that helped to see Doomtree through to the final, however on earth they managed to get there. Absolutely brilliant!:cool:

In celebration let's get hip with their super hot track "Fresh New Trash", from the same album as "Beacon". I kinda regret not putting this one in the NF. So in love with it at the momentxheart In fact, i'd probably even switch round songs if I could.

So umm yeah... I had this ermmm... NF planned, made, actually all ready to go for WV62. My Doomtree entry was supposed to end in tears and I was going to do a dramatic transformation into dark, depressed, melancholic, sentimental old sap Rainy. You still want it right? But boy! Hip hits in the final. This is my first hip hop song at WorldVision but it certainly won't be my last. Thanks again to all those who appreciated it and got on board:p

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Welcome to the Elliott Smith song selection. I would love you to help me pick the song from this very special artist that will become Midwest USA's entry for WorldVision 62.

I first discovered this mans music many years ago when I was in my teens and it has haunted me ever since. Elliott was born in Omaha, Nebraska, and spent much of his life in Portland, Oregon. There is just so much to say about Elliott and his music, his life. It's difficult though to find the words. He was an extraordinary soul. The thing about him that hits me hardest is that these harrowing, often tragic songs that he wrote were real, sadly enough. He was a sincere man baring his heart.

A little about each of the songs now: Between The Bars was the first Elliott Smith song I ever heard, and it's still the one that resonates strongest with me today. There's just something about it. It slices me. It gives me such a pain in my chest, a yearning. Time passes and life carries on, but this achingly beautiful song is in it's own world. Why don't I just send it internally you ask? Well, it's far too special to just let go of it. Sometimes I can stomach braving a song if I have confidence in it doing well here, but in this case I need confirmation. I want you to choose for me the one you like most. If it's "Between The Bars" then *gulp* let's do this thing! Miss Misery is the second song I offer you. Gorgeously weary and timeless, although timeless could be applied to all of his songs. Elliott bizarrely found himself up for an Oscar with this one as the song was featured in the film Good Will Hunting. Elliott didn't want to play his song at the Academy Awards, having to be convinced by his producers. If he didn't perform it then someone else would have. In the end we got one of the most surreal and moving appearances. I can't imagine anything similar happening today there. In fact, Antony Hegarty recently got nominated for an Oscar and they shamefully wouldn't even let her perform. Moving on to something loud now. Can't Make A Sound is probably Elliott's most grand and heavy piece. It's starts slow before building to a sound that's truly humongous. The album this is from "Figure 8" (the last finished work before his death) I feel is very underrated. Elliott had reached a peak on this release that many artists can only dream of. The polish and even stronger touches of baroque have put people off, but this album and the songs from it are some of his greatest in my opinion. I Didn't Understand is something different. A haunting track using just Elliott's vocals, creating a terribly heart rendering lament. I find this one of the most poignant pieces of music ever. It hits me hard. Floating around are also various demos and live recordings where Elliott performs this at the piano. Those versions are just as painful. I think this is one of his greatest pieces. Bottle Up And Explode! is my pick for the catchiest Elliott Smith song. So rich, with wonderful twists and turns throughout. It really captures the feelings of repressed anger. Never has a piece of music matched it's lyrical content so ridiculously well, may I be so bold to say. Finishing off we have the very beautiful I Better Be Quiet Now. This is still sad but I feel one of his more strangely comforting tracks. His voice is so forward and angelic here. Pure beauty. I get eargasm from the get go. The only light from his suffering were the fruits of it. How songs so raw, human and honest were gifted to us from this man. I don't think we'll ever get another Elliott Smith.

How to vote:

The traditional voting set 12-10-8-7-6-5

I was trying to think of another fancy voting method but I think i'll just go traditional this edition. I know Elliott's music won't be for everyone here, but I hope some of you will appreciate him. The deadline is as usual the night before the final submission day. Votes by PM or pigeon mail.

Remember to watch the recap if you're having trouble. In fact, just watch it anywayxheat Only one song had a music video so I gathered together photos, clips from live performances and documentary footage, to try and get a feel down for each of the songs.

Thank you so much for giving me your time. I worry this NF perhaps feels a bit self indulgent, but I just want people to hear this mans music. I could have done a lot more that six songs. I had near enough twenty shortlisted. I hope you get something from his music.

elliott.jpg

Thank you for voting:

:mk::sk::lond:::saus:ie:::losn:us::sobr::nwen::ec::sc:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Midwest USA - WV 61 - Doomtree - Beacon / Elliott Smith NF for WV62 on page 3

Woah Kai! I adore the level of detail you give us about each artist. My schedule is a little hectic to say the least for the next week or so, but I'll try my utmost to vote in this most special of NFs. :)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Midwest USA - WV 61 - Doomtree - Beacon / Elliott Smith NF for WV62 on page 3

Woah Kai! I adore the level of detail you give us about each artist. My schedule is a little hectic to say the least for the next week or so, but I'll try my utmost to vote in this most special of NFs. :)

Thank you Robertxheart I didn't really say enough about him. It's weird and uncomfortable talking about his life and music. It's had such a darn strong hold on me. He's a hard artist to write about. I actually hadn't listened to Elliott properly in years, but last Christmas was gifted one of his posthumous releases that I didn't own. Everything came flooding back to me, like it was never gone in the first place. I'd love to receive your votes Robert. I hope you find the time but no worries if not.

ShoeFlo

takesoffglasses_zps2522efae.gif

Even though I knew that you will do this NF it still makes me faint big times

I have like 1000 things to do during the next days.
WV Voting, Spin-off voting, preparing my own NF, FSC Final voting, Organization of FSC national final for next month
All these things within the next few days + I still got to write an essay for university and possibly I will try to have a real life (there is a funfair in my city these days) xcrazy :mrgreen: Wait.. what did I forgot? Ah, still wanna write two reports for university magazine and starting some Youtube long-term projects

...nevertheless I should find 30 minutes to vote in your precious NF cause it's an artist whose music I deeply enjoy. Just don't be surprised if I will vote in last minute or if I will vote when the deadline for next edition is already over due to time confusion.

If I am late, you can just mention me so I will remember this NF

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] if you don't vote I will sue you. There you go, that's some motivation for you. I look forward to receiving your votes, and I also look forward to your new youtube channel documenting the adventures of your strip-o-gram career. Thank you in advance and good luck with your hectic week my friend. I am very much looking forward to your Instrumental NF. I'm sure it will be life enriching. Will you be able to top Olafur as my favourite WV song of all time is the question? Although Anna Oxa's "Processo a me stessa" and Loreena Mckennitt's "Dante's Prayer" pretty much equal his piece.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Two votes so far. Thank you to Calvin and John1xheartxheart

This NF is going a fair bit slower than my others, but you've got yonks left to vote if you'd like to.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

:lond: has voted and rather enjoyed this hitherto-unknown-to-the-juror artist!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you Robert and DaFlo for votingxheart At this moment I have four sets of votes. I hope for at least a few more.

40 points ????
39 points ????
35 points ????
31 points ????
24 points ????
23 points ????
pulling-hair.gif

As you can see, it is very tight at the top, but don't count those at the bottom out just yet. I think they can both make a comeback.

Krishoes

::losn voted! I liked four songs :)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you very much to dear rev and Kris for your utterly scandalous votesxheat Completely murdering the leader between the pair of youxheart With six votes now, you are safe from the NF being cancelled and 14 minutes of avant-garde free Jazz sent internally. Tis all very exciting at the moment. I would love if the votes kept on coming. Also..

HAPPY EASTER

71.gif
66.gif
12.jpg
66.gif
71.gif

May my WorldVision friends have a day filled with sweet delights. I hope that NoBunny visited you all this morning, especially Kris who I heard has been a very good boy and deserves a big present from him.

Krishoes

Dear WoodyRains,
I am at the police station right now.

A man who called himself NoBunny destroyed the door of my house this morning and defiled my bed.

He said that another man called WoodyRains sent him to me as present for Easter.

I'm disgusted.

Bye.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Dear WoodyRains,
I am at the police station right now.

A man who called himself NoBunny destroyed the door of my house this morning and defiled my bed.

He said that another man called WoodyRains sent him to me as present for Easter.

I'm disgusted.

Bye.

Dear Kris,

I am shocked and appalled at the events that happened in your house this morning. You did the right thing to call the police. Hopefully they capture the criminal who has ruined your Easter.

Warmest regards and concerned thoughts,

RegenWald x

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV61 - Doomtree - Beacon​

doomtree.jpg

15th in the Final with 111 points
10th in Semi 2 with 76 points / Reju 22nd with 19 points

Yay, a great result. I'm very happy with that. I was delighted just to reach the final actually. This was supposed to be a kamikaze mission and to explode on 15th position is great, especially considering some of the magnificent songs placed undeservedly behind mine. It means something that I was able to show this side of my taste and it was still appreciated. Sending "Beacon" felt liberating. It was great to have some different jurors appreciating my song for a change. I lost almost all the usual pot F love which i'm very appreciative to receive most editions, but I still got by somehow. It's likely that I will send another hip song before i'm done with Midwest, although i'll be holding an NF when i'm sending the artist I have in mind. It perhaps might not end on a hip song of theirs but you'll have the chance if you want some rap from me again.

Thank you to all the people below. Love to you all..

:12: :cali::il::nwen:::gh <- a new hip hop collective:cool:
:10: :en: <- feat. Gera on guest vocals
:8: :ie::fr: <- and r.e.v. and William street dancing for us
:7: xwhistle
:6: :si:be:sobr:
:5: xwhistle
:4: ::losn:mn:::quee:ua:
:3: :se:
:2: :fi::ba:
:1: :es::lond:

In fact, you know what? You're actually all part of the new cool WV hip hop collective. How could I leave anyone out (except for the 40+ people that didn't vote for Doomtree)? You are all fly, hip, on point, fleek, splendid, dank, the shiznik, greasy sweet and all other such good words.

WLRl5BpP_400x400.jpeg

xbowDessa from Doomtree. Shall we try and get her through to the final solo next time? *wink wink*

My next entry is Elliott Smith. A late tortured soul with some achingly beautiful songs to his name. I'm holding an NF to select his song if any of you are interested. Seven votes now. Keep them comingxheart

Krishoes

In fact, you know what? You're actually all part of the new cool WV hip hop collective. How could I leave anyone out (except for the 40+ people that didn't vote for Doomtree)? You are all fly, hip, on point, fleek, splendid, dank, the shiznik, greasy sweet and all other such good words.

Yassss

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

145249168719926736.gif

Good gosh. I have just received the most spectacular set of surprise votes of all time. I can't quite believe this has happened.......... can't breathe.......

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] you have been blessed. Those of us with NFs up right now are insanely jealous of you; congratulations xheart

P.S. we love you fer xheart

Top Bottom