WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
yV2p7h7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Midwest USA / WV62 - Elliott Smith - Bottle Up And Explode! / WV63 teaser

I hope it's a Jan Terri National Final with 30 songs and five rounds.

Krishoes

Jan Terri outshines everyone xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you very much again to all the people that voted for Elliott Smith. Got a nice clear picture of all of you now so worth expressing my gratitude again.

Regular - 56 points

:12: :ie:xheat
:10: :ch:xheart
:8: :lv::de:xheartxheart
:7: xwhistle
:6: xwhistle
:5: :cl::dk:::latgxheartxheartxheart
:4: xwhistle
:3: xwhistle
:2: :lond:xheart
:1: :be:xheart

Reju - 62 points

:12: :mk::ba:xheatxheat
:10: xwhistle
:8: :us:xheart
:7: :ca:::losnxheartxheart
:6: :ec::sc:xheartxheart
:5: xwhistle
:4: ::emroxheart
:3: xwhistle
:2: xwhistle
:1: xwhistle

I was toying with the idea of sending Elliott again straight away, and after looking at the results the itch has grown even stronger. I spoke to a dear, wonderful friend about it though and I realized the decision to do so would not come from a good place. It would more than likely be coming from an unhealthy place of bitterness. I want to send him again, and I will send him again. I'm going to take a breather though. There's no rush. Let's try something different for the next edition.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV63 - Orenda Fink - Holy Holy​

maxresdefault.jpg

"Holy Holy" is a touching number by Orenda Fink, a musician from Alabama, now based in Nebraska. This marks the first time I have sent a recent discovery derived from being a part of WorldVision. Up until this point i've been sending artists I have been listening to for years. My move to Midwest spurred on a search for new music. Scouring high and low I eventually came upon Saddle Creek Records, an independent record label based in Omaha, Nebraska. I heard this song and the rest was history.

Orenda Fink was previously a part of the dream pop duo Azure Ray (who I actually had heard of, but never explored deeply). Orenda and her friend Maria Taylor released four albums together under the name.

As a soloist, Fink is now on her third album. The latest being "Blue Moon", a collection of dark dream pop songs inspired by death and the strange dreams had after a recent loss. After the passing of her beloved dog of 16 years, Orenda fell into a depression and visited a psychotherapist who specialized in dream analysis. Through keeping a dream journal, ideas for the album came forth.

The music video accompanying "Holy Holy" is poignant. I was overwhelmed the first time I watched it. Slowly it became clear what the song was about, and it was upon hearing a particular line towards the end of it that everything fell into place. I think it's one of the most beautiful music videos ever. Strangely I don't feel sadness from watching it. I feel a wonderful warmth and comfort.

I gave it all, I gave it all to you
And you took it when you left here
We come into this world all alone
And we leave with not much more

The city lights under frozen ground
And your heart beats in the clouds now
I've heard them cry babies all my life
But now I hear them saying much more

Holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy
My love

I lay in bed, collect all my dreams
Then I pay someone to read them to me
The simple ones are just as they seem
But open your eyes, and they say so much more

My love

I gave it all, I gave it all to you
And you took it when you left here
We coming into this world with our mother's love
And we leave with not much more

My love

Text taken from an NPR article: Have you ever felt alone in a big city? Have you ever seen pain on a stranger's face but couldn't figure out a way to acknowledge or ease it? Orenda Fink's video for "Holy Holy" speaks to the pain of mourning and the beauty of empathy toward strangers. The song is from her album Blue Dream, which stares closely at death after a difficult year. The opening line to "Holy Holy" is simple, while setting the tone for this video directed by Michael Tully."There is something uniquely human, flawed and beautiful about our reactions to suffering in our own midst," Fink writes via email. "Michael's video explores the complexities of those reactions. Sometimes it's hard to remember our great capacity for empathy in the world we live in today, but it is always there — maybe with people you love, maybe with strangers, maybe on a city bus."

Live performances and interview​

A couple of gorgeous performances of the song. Look out for a man playing a saw in the second one. The third video is an interview mixed with a performance of "Holy Holy". Go to 3:42 for it to start. Orenda speaks a bit about the creation of her album and her dreams.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and listen. I hope you enjoy Orenda's songxheart

Orenda-Fink-296x300.jpg

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Midwest USA / WV63 - Orenda Fink - Holy Holy

This is a really touching song (dare I say one of your very best), and the video is such a beautiful reminder that the human instinct is to comfort rather than to judge and that by extension there'll always be someone to comfort. Another job well done xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

This is a really touching song (dare I say one of your very best), and the video is such a beautiful reminder that the human instinct is to comfort rather than to judge and that by extension there'll always be someone to comfort. Another job well done xheart

Beautiful words Calvin. Thank you. I'm glad you like the song that much. The plan of sending something i'm not attached to this edition has kind of backfired on me, as already this has become something very dear and close to me, and just what I needed to find and hear at this moment in time. I'm grateful WorldVision led me to discovering this very special lady and song.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you for voting Orenda into the finalxheart So happy to be back there. The final results show is always the most fun partxheat

I'm not quite sure what to do for the next edition. I have a comeback NF for a much loved and still requested artist made and all ready to go, but it would require a region move. Probably not wise to do it yet whilst i've still got an entry competing this edition (was going to move and post it if I flopped again). You never know what could quite happen. I'm probably looking at an internal selection again next edition.......... am thinking of breaking my silly and a bit snobby "I won't send chart hits" thing i've got going on. I feel like sending one of my childhood favouritesxqueenbitch I think my body will be prepared for the "sell-out" comments.

Anyway, putting this possible megastar to one side who I may or may not be sending next edition, who do you think this comeback artist i'm considering is?:rolleyes:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

giphy.gif

xheat xheat

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

*begins Channeling Rainy*

Mikal Cronin.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Hello, I am here as Moleman.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

WV 65: STAY TUNED
58MSel7.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Midwest USA - NF for 65 on Page 8

Thank you for voting:
:lond: :paci: ::ostl :jp: ::losn ::sthm

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

RECAP courtesy of the Wonderful Wizard of Pac, [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Epic NF. Could honestly see myself giving points to any of these in WV. xheat Best of luck dearest! :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Hello [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION]. I have just made the requested changes to the main post.

ZoboCamel

NF votes sent! A nice diverse little NF, but there's one thing here in particular that caught my eye, so I'm hoping it does well.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Thank you very much to Robert, Kai, Ole, and ZoboCamel for your votes in my NF. It's a bit of a landslide as it stands now, but all can change!

Top Bottom