Midwestern USA

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
yV2p7h7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Luki

Re: Midwest - ON A BREAK

Yaay I'll make sure to give you some links in suggestions thread as my Midwest song list hasn't been used. :D Good luck! :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Midwest USA - WV 61 - Doomtree NF

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have arrived on the Midwest states of USA. Only two previous entries have we had from this region, both from the wonderful Tinchey who sent Olassa and the great Songs: Ohia who I would have thrown crazy points at, had I been playing WorldVision at the time. I own a few of his albums.

Anyway, stay tuned. A small NF will be posted very soonxheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

rP9Agna.png

Recap Video​

What's the matter? Think i'm not hip? I don't have enough vo-dee-oh-doo? Well perhaps think again as I present to you a collection of songs from Minnesota's most on point indie hip hop collective. I give you the rather splendid Doomtree. Seven members make up the lineup. Rappers Dessa, Cecil Otter, Sims, P.O.S and Mike Mictlan, and producers Lazerbeak and Paper Tiger. I discovered this collective through Dessa, whom I discovered through Miss Chiff. Doomtree have their own label, with each artist not only contributing to the bands stuff, but putting out their own solo material as well. One such song you'll find in my NF. Why isn't any of Dessa's solo work here friends (knowing how much I love her) may ask? Well, let's just say stay tuned *wink wink*.

This feels like a risk but I believe my entries were dangerously close to becoming predictable. I'm getting quite besotted with Doomtree and rap in general. It feels a very underappreciated genre here, but perhaps after the success of the Hip spin-off, people might be more open to it. Let's give WorldVision some more hip hits!xheat

Voting is identical to my other four song national finals. I'm giving you 15 points to share between the songs, but you cannot use the same number twice. It gives you a little leg room if you have a song you'd really like to push.

If you enjoy any of the songs here and would like to help then send me your votes by the 12th of this month please. Thank youxheart

Thank you for voting:
:mx::ec::lond::lond::cali::sk::ie:
Los Angeles

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Have received five sets of votes already. Thank you so much to Ashley, Cesar, Calvin, HipFlo and first time voter John1 who didn't like any of the songs but still decided to send me his votes anywayxheat Thanks guys very much for taking the time to listen to the songs :lol:

You've still got a couple of days left to vote. It's super tight at the top.

22 ????
22 ????
19 ????
12 ????

The song that's flopping is quite surprising me as I assumed it probably had the best chance of taking the NF.

John1

Have received five voters already. Thank you so much to Ashley, Cesar, Calvin, HipFlo and first time voter John1 who didn't like any of the songs but still decided to send me his votes anywayxheat Thanks guys very much for taking the time to listen to the songs :lol:

You've still got a couple of days left to vote. It's super tight at the top.

22 ????
22 ????
19 ????
12 ????

The song that's flopping is quite surprising me as I assumed it probably had the best chance of taking the NF.

I've always wanted to be quite honest with all my contenders here... :lol: xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I've always wanted to be quite honest with all my contenders here... :lol: xheat

Honesty is a good thingxup Thank you John1. Hopefully next time I might have something more closer to your taste to offer you. I try and change the style of my entries as much as I can. This is the first time in twelve editions that I am sending rap music. Beforehand it was mostly different kinds of rock and a healthy dollop of melancholic balladry.

John1

Honesty is a good thingxup Thank you John1. Hopefully next time I might have something more closer to your taste to offer you. I try and change the style of my entries as much as I can. This is the first time in twelve editions that I am sending rap music. Beforehand it was mostly different kinds of rock and a healthy dollop of melancholic balladry.

That's fine, it isn't compulsory for everyone to have their tastes closer to mines... :)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Aaaand the other half of :lond: has voted! Pleasantly surprised, especially given the genre, that there was something(s) to be enjoyed there! Best of luck Kai! xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Seven voters now. Thank you very much to Kris and Robertxheart Just over a day left if you'd like to help me choose my first entry from Midwest USA. I'll be closing this thing at midnight (my time) tomorrow and sending the song you've picked in.

giphy.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Quen of Ireland Revallsay has just votedxbow Thank you very muchxheart

Remember, this is the last day if you'd like to vote.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

A couple of hours left to vote. I don't want to pester people so I won't do @s, i'll wave instead to try and get your attention...

*WAVES*

I know a couple of people showed interest and I haven't received votes yet from them. I'll send in my song before I go to sleep, so i'll hang on as long as possible.

Edit: am about to comatose for the night. Can't wait any longer. My entry has been sent in. Thank you very much to the eight people that voted. In the end it looked like this..

43 points ????
32 points ????
26 points ????
19 points ????

So we have a comfortable winner here. I'm so shocked about the song that flopped. I had the assumption that said song was going to be fighting right at the top for the win. I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps it was not having the right people voting. This particular song I imagined reaching a certain crowd, none of whom voted in my NF so I suppose it figures. Anyway, i'm excited to find out how Doomtree or Sims will do. The reaction as well should be interesting.

Genesis

Oh no! I so wanted to vote in this NF, but got really busy. Forgive me Rainy xcry

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Oh no! I so wanted to vote in this NF, but got really busy. Forgive me Rainy xcry

Don't worry Marioxheart I'd have needed at least a couple more votes for the winner to change, and they would have needed to be way against the current. I've got a feeling you'll be quite happy with what's been chosen though
smiley-happy085.gif
Just a shame we're not in the same semi
smiley-sad013.gif

Genesis

Don't worry Marioxheart I'd have needed at least a couple more votes for the winner to change, and they would have needed to be way against the current. I've got a feeling you'll be quite happy with what's been chosen though
smiley-happy085.gif
Just a shame we're not in the same semi
smiley-sad013.gif

xheart
I know, the first thing I said to myself when I saw the draw was "No Rainy xcry" :(

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WorldVision 61 - Doomtree - Beacon

2011101441_286N1M.jpg

I'm happy to announce that you've chosen "Beacon" from the underground hip hop crew Doomtree as my entry for WorldVision 61, my first from Midwest USA. A fine pick I must say. I was hoping this one would be appreciated. I know it's about the music but good lord, that music video! So foggy and atmospheric, industrial. It really adds another new layer to the song. "Beacon" is from Doomtree's "No Kings", released in 2011. A song that through each of the verses tells a very different take on a broken relationship. I find it ridiculously clever. Such wordsmiths. Very intrigued to find out how this entry shall be received by the people who usually enjoy my stuff.

[Verse 1: Dessa]
I took it for a kiss, but it couldn't have been, could it?
I see now what it is, we were just biting the same bullet
You called it in the air
It landed on its edge
When the crowd gathers around
You turn tail
I turn heads
Shavin' down the puzzle piece
Tryna make a clean fit
Take what is lovely
Leave before the rain hits
It's a heartbreaker for starters, as you age not too much changes
Practice doesn't make perfect, just makes the game more dangerous

[Verse 2: P.O.S]
Start repo
Negative sleep nauseous
Barf party for sure
Intelligent creep stalking awkward
Flush flustered rush for doors
Advance fire-plan
Handy with the way out
Routes explored
Cover catching up
Careful with your care
We don't go there, naw
We keep locks and keys steadily swallowed
Never be followed, none of em dare
Channel up your anger leave it here
Kindly disappear
Mind your mannerisms
I can't be flattered back
The patterns the concern
Lessons prolly turned to fact
By now you'd surely drown yourself before you'd help me with this sail
I'm in the wind
Crossed fingers for the win
Up to ten til they hammer the very last nail
Challenging like every last stalemate
Deal with it
No mission ends
Precision lack of friends
Happily recommend nothing to no one, ever

[Hook:]
I know, I know
I know wake up, wake up
But I don't go there, go there
She knows the way home
I know, I know
I know wake up, wake up
She knows the way home

[Verse 3: Cecil Otter]xheat
You know your way home?
You gonna be all right?
Yeah, but I had faith that you'd see the light
And ride with me or kiss me goodbye
Now you got me feeding kites into the night sky
Covered them with nightlights, like, did you see the beacon?
I swear I let those kites fly around all weekend, no?
Well someone must have cut the lines or something, no?
Or maybe something, oh you weren't looking
Ok Plan B just panic
Run up the stairs and shut the door to the attic and don't come up for air
Until you're torn from her fabric completely...
And just like magic, you're all in one piece again
But, I'm nothing like I used to be...
Elusive and reclusive
Now I'm just both times a hundred...exclusively
Truthfully, I was blind to the deep end
Until that piece of us went and died that weekend

[Hook:]
I know, I know
I know wake up, wake up
She knows the way home
I know, I know
I know wake up, wake up
She knows the way home

[Verse 4: Sims]
Then it flashed forward, but I asked for it
Rip out the doubt, I'm way too south
I gulped it up, I laid back
Peeling off the layers
The mantra saying "fear can't stay here self see you later"
Fire chakra dissolve to ether
I have to meet her, I know she knows the way
I'll have to die twice, no Novocaine
See the Eye of Horus, I am Osiris
I meet the devil, it ain't the first time
He kills me quick like I am nothing
Scream St. Peter, I need you now cousin
I see the owls coming, they float me safe
I learn their grace, they help me heal
I'm under stars peeling off my skin to rid my scars
It's the first time I am reborn, but I am not me
No identity, and I am finally free
I am my brother, I am my father
I am the sun, I am the water
I am an ion, I am everything
I am the vapor, a cloud of smoke
I am a cheap laugh, but I get the joke
I am a brief flash, the abstract​

7OUOWY2.png

"Generator" did lead for a while which got me quite excited as I didn't expect it. It was the most aggressive and forward song there so I was expecting it to flop, despite how much I tried to pimp it in the running order and recap. Sure enough, it eventually was killed off once and for all. I know it's Mario's favourite, so who knows what might have happened if he and another one or two people voted? It still got a respectable second though. Sims is in third with the catchy "L M G". Love the vibe of that one and the beautiful music video. "Heavy Rescue" flopped hard. Just as well that I held this NF as if I was picking on what I think has the most potential to do well at WV, I would have gone with that one. I'm kind of surprised really. Thank you again to everyone that voted. I hope you like the winner.

Live Performances

Riotfest_2015_D2-Doomtree-3.jpg

DaFlo

Banned

Excellent entry, a very vibrating hit I have to say :cool: Good luck xcrossed

stbsefU.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Excellent entry, a very vibrating hit I have to say :cool: Good luck xcrossed

stbsefU.gif

Two of my favourite bird species partyingxheat Thank you very much master HipFlo. I'll be needing all the vibrations I can get this time around
vibe.gif

Top Bottom