theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
ireland.png

current-entry.png

Last edited:

Ank

Re: IRELAND | WV 25 | National Final

Oops, I just realized they are actually from Northern Ireland. Damn, this whole Ireland/Northern Ireland thing still confuses me. But since no one voted yet, I'm gonna change the entry :D

ClassifiedCat

Oops, I just realized they are actually from Northern Ireland. Damn, this whole Ireland/Northern Ireland thing still confuses me. But since no one voted yet, I'm gonna change the entry :D
Would the whole island of Ireland not be allowed though, since your nation is not the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland but Ireland.

ClassifiedCat

Because I only represent The Republic of Ireland, not the whole island. Northern Ireland is part of UK.
Then the title of the thread should be the Republic of Ireland. Ulster does not equal Northern Ireland btw, some of it is some if it isn't.

Ank

Then the title of the thread should be the Republic of Ireland. Ulster does not equal Northern Ireland btw, some of it is some if it isn't.
But...wasn't it always referred to as Ireland in the contest? Just Ireland?
And I know Ulster doesn't equal Northern Ireland. But that particular band was from Northern Ireland, that's all I was saying.

doctormalisimo

Just for clarification:

You are representing Republic of Ireland, the country (the whole island would have this flag http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071127032717/genealogy/images/6/65/Four_Provinces_Flag.svg ), but everyone born in Northern Ireland has dual Irish/British nationality by default (I myself have an Irish passport and a British driving licence; as per the 1998 Good Friday agreement), so as per the WV rules, you could send NI artists. Ulster is the entirety of NI and 3 counties in the Republic; Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

Ank

Just for clarification:

You are representing Republic of Ireland, the country (the whole island would have this flag http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071127032717/genealogy/images/6/65/Four_Provinces_Flag.svg ), but everyone born in Northern Ireland has dual Irish/British nationality by default (I myself have an Irish passport and a British driving licence; as per the 1998 Good Friday agreement), so as per the WV rules, you could send NI artists. Ulster is the entirety of NI and 3 counties in the Republic; Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

Ok...thanks for that... I asked a moderator a few weeks ago if I could send songs from artists Northern Ireland, and I got no as an answer, so that's why I got stuck on that idea...

ClassifiedCat

But...wasn't it always referred to as Ireland in the contest? Just Ireland?
And I know Ulster doesn't equal Northern Ireland. But that particular band was from Northern Ireland, that's all I was saying.
In the contest yes it does, but just in 2013 there Ryan Dolan was from Northern Ireland. For certain things we unite for (Eurovision; Rugby) and other things we don't (soccer, etc).

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

everyone born in Northern Ireland has dual Irish/British nationality by default (I myself have an Irish passport and a British driving licence; as per the 1998 Good Friday agreement), so as per the WV rules, you could send NI artists.

actually not

Having the citizenship of a country just because of someone's descent is not enough to qualify to represent that country. Moderators have the right to decide about the eligibility of an artist who lays in this category.

Northern Ireland is a part of UK? Then UK can send it (or Ulster as region)

I don't know whom asked Ank about his case, but I agree with this Mod.

ClassifiedCat

actually not

Northern Ireland is a part of UK? Then UK can send it (or Ulster as region)

I don't know whom asked Ank about his case, but I agree with this Mod.
@Actually not = Yes they do, as far as I know
@Northern Ireland is a part of UK? = Yes it is a part of the UK, although not all of Ulster is the UK
@I agree with Mod = I don't mean to sound rude, but you should take it from the Irish people. And technically, if we're going by rules, David should be on the UK Jury in FSC then.

Ank

I asked daniels1000 about the whole Ireland/Northern Ireland matter, soon after I joined the contest. And I got it, and I was cool with it...

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

ClassifiedCat, FSC is not WV. We wouldn't allow here Loreen from Morocco for example just because she automatically has citizenship because of descent.
Here thread of Ireland (ok, Republic of Ireland, but we always call it just Ireland and use :ie: flag), and Northern Ireland is not part of Ireland, so artist from Northern Ireland is not eligible to participate from Ireland (Republic of Ireland)

ClassifiedCat

ClassifiedCat, FSC is not WV. We wouldn't allow here Loreen from Morocco for example just because she automatically has citizenship because of descent.
Here thread of Ireland (ok, Republic of Ireland, but we always call it just Ireland and use :ie: flag), and Northern Ireland is not part of Ireland, so artist from Northern Ireland is not eligible to participate from Ireland (Republic of Ireland)
Don't mean to sound rude, but what about that Nepalese entry that was debated about that was allowed to compete.

ClassifiedCat

- they must be a citizen(s)*** or a current resident(s) of your country/region (temporary stays due to recording new material, touring etc. are not enough),

If a person has dual Irish/British Citizenship, they are allowed, according to the rules. Also, Loreen would be allowed if she had citizenship of Morocco, but IDK if she does.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

I copied that from the rule thread.

you copied it not fully

- they must be a citizen(s)***
'

***In order to accept an artist who was not born, did not grow up or does not currently live in a country/region but only has roots from that country, then he/she must have special ties with that country (speaking and/or singing in the language of the country, addressing himself as a person from that country, being famous in that country, visiting that country often, representing or trying to represent this country in ESC if it's a European country, and other factors). Having the citizenship of a country just because of someone's descent is not enough to qualify to represent that country. Moderators have the right to decide about the eligibility of an artist who lays in this category.

Just because we can't note all billions cases about eligibility, all questionable cases decide by mods. Although about Nothern Ireland is clear since its officially part of UK

ClassifiedCat

you copied it not fully

'

Just because we can't note all billions cases about eligibility, all questionable cases decide by mods. Although about Nothern Ireland is clear since its officially part of UK
This is just a circular argument, you're saying A is true because A is true. And Irish people do not have citizenship just because of descent, technically yes, but Europe is like that. The citizenship is where they are born. For example, if Scotland becomes independant, I'm sure Scottish people born will have dual British/Scottish citizenship.

Top Bottom