Contact us

Winter Sports - Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country, Biathlon and more

EscGeek

Veteran

esc87fan

Been keeping up with figure skating, our Canadians are doing really well on the Grand Prix circuit! Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir recently made their return to competition after a 2-year absence, and at the NHK Trophy in Japan they set world record scores. They, along with Patrick Chan and Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford have qualified for the Grand Prix final in Marseille, France

JamieBrown

Team competition in a couple minutes and only 9 team participating. :| And no Finland. Just when you think it can't get worse with them...

LastDreamer

Banned
Top 10 result for my personal new favourite :at: Lisa Hauser !!!

SaladBreak

Don't forget to watch the Zagreb Snow Queen tomorrow, starting at 13:00 CET xcheer
Let's see if :us: Mikaela Shiffrin can defend her crown for a 3rd time
x4381177787080056_0.jpg

JamieBrown

So this is line-up for the upcoming team event in Zakopane (I leave out Kazakhstan and the US, they will have no chance for the 2nd run imo)

:fi: (Ahonen, Aalto, Larinto, Maeaettae)
:ru: (Hazetdinov, Trofimov, Kornilov, Klimov)
:cz: (Polasek, Matura, Koudelka, Janda)
:jp: (Kobayashi, Takeuchi, Ito, Kasai)
:sl: (Tepes, Peter, Damjan, Domen)
:no: (Forfang, Hilde, Fannemel, Tande)
:de: (Eisenbichler, Leyhe, Wellinger, Freitag)
:at: (Schlierenzauer, Kofler, Fettner, Hayboeck)
:pl: (Zyla, Kot, Kubacki, Stoch)

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11532]EscGeek[/MENTION] What do you guys think? Is Poland unbeatable these days or might Austria take them today? I have no idea if Norway's gonna fight for the podium, as I'm suprised to see Tom Hilde in the team. I also doubt that Germany can win, but they're good enough for a 3rd place.

I'm also interested in the finnish team. When I started watching winter sports they were ruling in ski jumping, also in the nordic combined. Looking at the results of the latter it seems one can recover from hard times, but yesterday's qualification wasn't a good sign at all. If they want to reach the 2nd run today, they have to beat Russia, imo! With Klimov and Kornilov doing quite well this season: Is that even possible? Crossing my fingers once again, I guess it's senseless though.

EscGeek

Veteran
yesterday, Peter and Damjan were among the best, so that gives me hope that :sl: will fight with :no: and :de: for that 3rd place in the podium. But i know very well where our place is at the moment...it's 5th of course...one place in front of Japan hehehe :mrgreen:
:at: will win today, Schlierenzauer is as good as new...good for him, I just hope he's not that hungry for individual victories lol

JamieBrown

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11532]EscGeek[/MENTION] What do you guys think? Is Poland unbeatable these days or might Austria take them today? I have no idea if Norway's gonna fight for the podium, as I'm suprised to see Tom Hilde in the team. I also doubt that Germany can win, but they're good enough for a 3rd place.

I'm also interested in the finnish team. When I started watching winter sports they were ruling in ski jumping, also in the nordic combined. Looking at the results of the latter it seems one can recover from hard times, but yesterday's qualification wasn't a good sign at all. If they want to reach the 2nd run today, they have to beat Russia, imo! With Klimov and Kornilov doing quite well this season: Is that even possible? Crossing my fingers once again, I guess it's senseless though.

xrofl2 xrofl2 xrofl2

I'm impressed by these guys. I never doubt they have no winning quality, but they somehow rarely show in the competitions. I just thought they need Severin Freund for a victory and can only do a good result without him. What I said about Poland was true though. They are hardly beatable. Stoch is by far the best jumper these days, Zyla is probably among the best 3/5.

Unfortunately, though unsurprisingly, my other prediction about Finland came true.

JamieBrown

Just heard that Severin Freund now has injured his cruciate ligament xfacepalm

What a wasted season for him, hopefully he will come back as strong as during the last two years xpray

JamieBrown

Fantastic treat of the first round's Top 10 in Wisla right now xclap

And they did it again xfacepalm But who cares for athletes like Nurmsalu, Boyd-Clowes and Geiger(who has been affected already the last time)

This was the last race before the championships. First of all, if someone thought Kamil Stoch is far tooo strong this season (xshifty) it looks like Stefan Kraft is going to make it exciting. I hope that Kraft won't be unlucky due to the missed competitions at the 4 HT.

The german team for the championships was announced live in TV right after the competition. 3 athletes(Wellinger, Freitag and Eisenbichler) were already announced safe like 1-2 weeks ago. The last two spots went to Stephan Leyhe and Karl Geiger, which has been obvious, unlike the 6th contender Andreas Wank would've made the podium today. Still then it would've been a little unfair, since Leyhe and Geiger are doing better than ever the whole season and made the Top 10 several times as well. Also, the first round today, proved once again, that Geiger would be a good choice for the Normal Hill imo, probably Leyhe will join the other 3 for the large hill and the team competition, but we'll see what happens in Lahti and under what circumstances and conditions the athletes will arrive in Finland. Anyway, since Wellinger missed the podium only twice since Wisla he's going to be a strong contender for a medal in the single competitions. With the team competitions (don't forget the ladies, but Takanashi, Ito and Lundby are slaying), there's a possibility of three medals, but I think two is a must.

Medal contenders from other nations are Stoch, Kraft, Daniel Tande, Maciej Kot and Peter Prevc. But the past championships were good for many sensational medals, so... :D

ShoeFlo

It's a shame I almost forgot about the Nordic World Ski Championsship... I've been so busy lately

I didn't watch anything so far but resultswise it looks well for Germany.

I am kind of surprised that our female ski jumper Carina Vogt managed to win the the golden medal... this girl has some awesome mentality and nerves. In the World cup she doesn't use to draw much attention, being only one of many good jumpers.. and then in the Olympics and World Championsship she is on her best condition and wins the golden medal.. apparently she is an athlete for the special events. The counterpart to the most German athletes nowadays :mrgreen:

no surprise our Nordic combiners won all medals in the first individual event. I've watched many of their world cup events. I expect three german athletes on the medal ranks also in the second individual event (well, at least 1st and 2nd, now and then a foreign athlete accidentally ends up on 3) and an easy gold medal in the team event. Anything else must be considered a disappointment.

Today the first male ski jumping event will take place. Andreas Wellinger is in his best condition ever right now and it looks like he's taken one step forward in his development. He really makes some efforts to let the Germans forget about the injury of Severin Freund. As one of the 10 best ski-jumpers he didn't have to qualify for the main event. However, he had the 4th best attempt yesterday, so he is close to the worlds best athletes. Maybe closer then ever. Kamil Stoch is the clear favorite for the Golden medal but behind him there is an open race for the medal places. Eisenbichler and Leyhe are another German jumpers who look pretty decent at the moment. They might be among the dark horses today.
For the team event we are well prepared, even though Poland looks even better.

Top Bottom