8 5.4%

1 0.7%

2 1.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

elanyvx

"The story of Veronika Deseniška and her supposed witchcraft are well known in Slovenia, and this song continues Raiven’s quest to explore the stories of iconic women from various historical eras".

Here is a story, a person and a song created about this topic. I think I have a lot of curiosity.

elanyvx

"The song has lyrics in Slovenian. I will represent my country, I will tell the story of a Slovenian woman, and that is why I think a Slovenian lyrics is almost necessary".

"The concept of the performance is already established, also the creative team. I think it's especially important that performance and music support each other. A good song can ruin a visually complete but disjointed performance and vice versa. What I can say for now is that dancers from the SNG Opera and Ballet Ljubljana will participate in the show".

aef

I don’t like this decision. Very underwhelming. As i said before, I guess she’s fine as a singer and performer but her previous songs never caught my attention. And the never felt current in any aspect.

Her style is made for classic Euro fanboys though. A lot of drama theatrical appearance all over the place.

But who knows, maybe she will surprise me with her song in a positive way.

After Sebi I hoped that :sl: would develop into a experimental and modern direction when it comes to Eurovision. For example I liked LUMA a lot, would have been a nice entry. I loved Joker Out and their song but they also could have tried something more edgy, modern.

Last edited:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
That being said, I'm quite happy with the choice. I'm not a huge fan, but I love some of her songs (Kralj Babilona xheart) so I have expectations. While some of her tracks would benefit from being more uptempo, they can be quite interesting. Plus I love hearing Slovenian.

Sammy

Veteran
We‘ll see if it is a good decision to send an artist, who could not win her national final in three attempts. It kind of reminds me of a similar situation with gipsy.cz who after failing th NF (once? twice? I don’t remember) were nominated with a couple of songs to make sure they‘ll go to Eurovision. And we kno how that went. Of course it‘s a completely different style of music but still.

On the other hand winning a NF doesn‘t mean you do well in ESC either, but never winning one in multiple attempts…

In any way - I‘ll wait for the song to surprise and prove me wrong.

aef

The problem with most of her songs is that there is hardly any melody and mostly dramatic singing.

ESC94

She hasa very good stage presence and an interesting voice, I like that. The songs she presented in past national finals weren´t bad but something was missing for me. xthink

But it´s a very interesting choice for :sl: and I look forward to the song. :)

Last edited:

elanyvx

We‘ll see if it is a good decision to send an artist, who could not win her national final in three attempts. On the other hand winning a NF doesn‘t mean you do well in ESC either, but never winning one in multiple attempts…
This is not a tragedy, in three attempts Raiven achieved second place twice and third place once.

In 2016 Raiven lost by 127 votes (50.8 % vs 49.2%) against ManuElla who was then eliminated in Europe.
In 2017 jury in favor of Omar Naber and televoting in favor of Omar and BQL. Omar wins with a song that was already old in 2017, eliminated in Europe as expected.
In 2019 she was soundly defeated, the song was chaotic. In that case the public voted for Zala and Gasper, much more reassuring and with a delightful song. They did well because they reached the final deservedly.

The public voted badly in Slovenia, recently also with the victory of the band LPS (1st for televote and 2nd for juries), without forgetting Omar Naber and ManuElla. Lea Sirk was only third in the televoting, luckily she won with the help of the jury, otherwise there were BQL in her place.

In the last 6 years, televoting in Slovenia has voted badly 4 times. They only managed to choose well in 2019 with Zala & Gasper and with Ana Soklic (2020), in that case however the challenge was between two artists, if the televoting had been open to all participants anything could have happened.

Will Raiven be eliminated in Malmo? We can't know yet but RTVSLO certainly sent an important name for Slovenian music.

Various artists are unable to take part in Eurovision through their respective Festivals, the problem is not necessarily the singer but the song, the jury, televoting, bad singing, staging etc. Loreen took part in the Melodifestivalen 4 times, was eliminated twice and won twice. But Sweden is a different country compared to Slovenia and industry music.

I think that many countries have economic difficulties, consequently Slovenia preferred to choose internally and not waste money on a national selection in which the result of the televoting would then have been unpredictable (like LPS). This money for EMA 2024 will be set aside or used for the future or for the promotion of Raiven or staging.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Conchita Wurst lost to Trackshittaz in 2012. Trackshittaz would get DEAD LAST in Baku. We know what happened when she was internally selected by ORF two years later.

I don't think Raiven will do amazing or anything (Slovenia hasn't had a top 10 in so long) but just because someone loses an NF doesn't mean they can't have merit.

tuorem

Veteran
@EscGeek @HayashiM @njdevils94 @Edweis

tneqJZ4.gif

Thanks for the summoning guys, I was unsure whether there was a "lets-name-a-random-ancient-member-out-of-the-forum-graveyard" challenge going on. Know that you are disturbing my peace, as my account is slowly but surely gathering dust.

Whoa! I cannot believe the news, the title of this thread almost feels like a fraud.

The people who were there from 2016 to 2019 know that I have been very emotionally invested in Raiven's journey, believing she would stand a chance every time until the votes would make see reason: most of the Slovenian audience voting in EMA are not particularly fond of her style and only an internal selection could grant her access to the contest.

2016: I was pleased to discover her back then. Thought she had the most interesting entry on offer that year, and yet she lost to her more conventional duellist MozzarElla. "Blue And Red" was actually not that bad of a composition in hindsight and the performance was quite solid vocally imo, but "okay" is not what Slovenians could work with to hope to qualify. "Črno Bel" and its atmospheric vibe did not age badly imo, I still listen to it.

2017: "Zazářím" marked the start of a series of more visually elaborate performances from her. The song was sonically more competitive, but it had its flaws imo: the "Love Injected" inspiration was a bit too much, and the composition would have benefited from a bridge and better arrangements. Still, I was very dissapointed to witness the "On My Way" victory while that and four other entries existed...

2019: That year, everything was set up for her, and yet she bombed like no other right before the finish line. Unpopular opinion, I think "KAOS" was her best effort both musically and visually, but it simply did not work live as it should have. When "Sebi" won, I was heartbroken at first because I was so hyped and believed it would be her final attempt, especially after the Lea Sirk-gate. But while "KAOS" would have satisfied my fantasy self - seeing it performed alongside "Telemoveis" - people actually unknowingly voted for the better option. "Sebi" is my favourite Slovenian entry, and that says a lot because I've enjoyed many other entries over the years.

I am well aware her selection should not be that surprising since she has worked with RTVSLO like Bojan Cvjetićanin did, and yet it feels strange to think she will eventually have her moment next year, in the same place she was competing to go to back in 2016. Full circle. Note to our Slovenian members: I will be highly interested in knowing how her participation will be received by your people.

While this news obviously pleases me because I always saw potential in her, I do not know what to expect exactly. Since 2019, she has embraced her lyrical side fully, she's been singing jazz, operas, musicals... I hope that her maturity and experience gained will show through her future effort. And if she actually goes operatic, I definitely would support that choice.

The title of the entry makes me want to hear her proposition at the very least, as it is linked to a story. The promotional pictures look ethereal, I hope the music will go in the same direction. And I understand the members who did not get wowed by her repertoire, she has potential for the contest though: on the visual side it will be interesting to see someone who actually cares.

Fingers crossed for a song that is worthy of an internal selection. Now I am rambling, but you asked for it! Good evening to you all and shoutout to @elanyvx who has been such a dedicated and pivotal Raiven admirer! This is your moment too xheart

Top Bottom