Ma sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro
E tu sei fuori di testa, ma diversa da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro

Noi siamo diversi da loro​

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrm

Veteran
Annalisa deserved to win last night,she was sublime.Thats the best iv ever seen her deliver a song.Could she get on the podium again? .Her song and performance are jury bait.If the jury did want to stop a Fedez win,what better way than with someone who has televote firepower herself.?.Of course she looked incredible as well.
Lets see if Malika is weaker than usual.That will give the jury the reason to move.
Still have some feeling Ermal Meta is the one to beat.. But we will see.. Long night is in front of us.. :p

HayashiM

Veteran
I was summoned.

Barbara doesn't have an accent, or if she does, I didn't catch it (and I'm no stranger to accents). But she has excellent diction. She pronounces every word clearly, hence some sounds seem marked. To be honest, even if I'm not a fan of the song, it's a pleasure to hear the words flowing out from her lips.
The 'R' sounds change depending on your accent though, in the southern ones it will be rolled.

About the different criticism Diodato and Barbara received, yes she seems overall more appreciated but for me they're hardly comparable. Yes, they're both "traditional" in their own way, but for a starter styles and rhythm are different, the way of delivering the vocals have no similarity etc. You can't expect those who disliked Fai Rumore to dislike Voilà and vice-versa.

Thanks for the clarification about the accent and diction (that's very true and I did not consciously realize it before)! :)

Both songs are piano ballads, I'd say that in itself is a distinctive category enough, representing pure torture for some parts of the fandom :D (let me just name Noosh and Daeva who'd been on Eurovision hub as one such example).

I was summoned.

Barbara doesn't have an accent, or if she does, I didn't catch it (and I'm no stranger to accents). But she has excellent diction. She pronounces every word clearly, hence some sounds seem marked. To be honest, even if I'm not a fan of the song, it's a pleasure to hear the words flowing out from her lips.
The 'R' sounds change depending on your accent though, in the southern ones it will be rolled.

About the different criticism Diodato and Barbara received, yes she seems overall more appreciated but for me they're hardly comparable. Yes, they're both "traditional" in their own way, but for a starter styles and rhythm are different, the way of delivering the vocals have no similarity etc. You can't expect those who disliked Fai Rumore to dislike Voilà and vice-versa.
Edweiss your speech was appreciated and I must also say very exhaustive.

It is very likely that Barbara's perfect diction misled my inexperienced ears. I had never heard anything like it. I opened the "question of accents" because in Italy (where we usually have tonic accents) we also have many dialects: each of our regions has one. These dialects also affect how you "hear" these words. Not knowing how to explain Barbara's diction, I simplified by arriving at this solution.

I like how you expressed the difference between Diodato and Barbara. I never thought that they are comparable in style but, a little, in the meaning, in the refined melody, in the passion. The only thing I can't stand, someone who is very caustic in his comments, is the lack of respect. It's okay to say you don't like a song, it's okay to joke, but when it ends up in offense it's bad. Last year I was very bitter about these bad reactions.

I tell you that you "as a non-lover of your song" must be proud of "Voilà". I had been writing for years that France had to go back to its origins to make Eurofans dream. It would also be nice if next year you would bring the Rap genre! You have a lot of artists, especially of African descent, who could show another value of your beautiful nation: being multicultural! My wish, now I speak in general, is to see the "Big Five" more and more competitive. When everyone is strong in a competition, it becomes a lot of fun and unpredictable.

elanyvx

Running order for this second night

Newcomers:
1. Wrongonyou
2. Greta Zuccoli
3. Davide Shorty
4. Dellai

Big singers:
1. Orietta Berti
2. La Rappresentante di Lista
3. Lo Stato Sociale
4. Bugo
5. Gaia
6. Willie Peyote
7. Malika Ayane
8. Fulminacci
9. Extraliscio
10. Ermal Meta
11. Ermal Meta
12. Irama
13. Random

New running order for the 13 Big singers, Irama will be in but with the video of the rehearsals two days ago.
Orietta Berti
Bugo
Gaia
Lo Stato Sociale
La Rappresentante di lista
Malika Ayane
Extraliscio
Ermal Meta
Random
Fulminacci
Willie Peyote
Gio Evan
Irama

Last edited:
Well, there's also the possibility of people disliking acts that beat their favourits, but I don't think it would be as present with Diodato x Gabbani, Viceversa was nowhere near as popular as for example Cicciolina or Bulletproof in the ESC bubble.
Don't forget that people can now only vote for 14 songs, so it's quite obvious there's not gonna be that many 0s for France at this moment, but the situation will probably change in the next 2 weeks when the new songs start pouring in. The link I gave you for Diodato on the other hand included 36 entries. I'd say being 3rd from 14 (that's where France was in the last game) is just about as good as being 7th from 36, really...
One last point of comparison - I think there's quite a few people here who loved Voilà on the first listen and now it is fading on them, at least that's what i saw mentionned in France's thread. Fai Rumore was perhaps on the opposite side, slowly growing on people? I mean at least I was so angry when it won over Viceversa! It took me some time to fully appreciate it. Perhaps those journalists at Sanremo really know what they are doing :D

I am really not sure about those marked "r"s. Maybe these are there, if yes, than it could be some artistic choice (reminding us of Edith Piaf even more? :eek:), but to my ears it overall sounds like the usual dramatic sung French, perhaps slightly influenced by some local accent as you say. :)

Anyway, I absolutely agree, France and Finland have both brought something that's quite distinctive of their craft, they do it very well, and are for me by far the best from 2021 so far.
HayashiM, you are one of the members of the forum that I love xheat:lol: This is talking about music!xup

Indeed, many in Italy cried out in scandal when "Fai Rumore" won. Gabbani was the favorite. The difference between the two songs, I like to think romantically, is that "Viceversa" is like love at first sight and the first moments of passion, while "Fai Rumore" is like true love that is cemented over time. I agree with your analysis even though I believe that France is definitely in the "Top 10". Otherwise I fly to Rotterdam and go to protest xpunish

Edith Piaf?!?! Do you know that I've thought about it too?!?! I think this is the best compliment that a Eurofan can give Barbara. She deserves it because she managed to make us dream and at the same time, without departing too much from tradition, preventing "the old breath" from being listen too much xclap

The accent was a theory based on my ignorance. From Italian, where the accents are marked, I wanted to bring theory closer to the French language. But Edweiss rightly said that that is an excellent diction. Maybe it's this perfectly French way of speaking that upset me.

All the songs are nice, each one gives us something but actually France and Finland are winners at the moment. Regarding Benny Cristo, "Omaga" was a big leap forward compared to "Kemama". I really hope to see Benny in the final! xheya

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification about the accent and diction (that's very true and I did not consciously realize it before)! :)

Both songs are piano ballads, I'd say that in itself is a distinctive category enough, representing pure torture for some parts of the fandom :D (let me just name Noosh and Daeva who'd been on Eurovision hub as one such example).
I beg to differ :p Yes they both can be classified as a ballad, and yes they both use a piano, but the song delivery is just too different for me to consider comparing for even a second :lol:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Edweiss your speech was appreciated and I must also say very exhaustive.

It is very likely that Barbara's perfect diction misled my inexperienced ears. I had never heard anything like it. I opened the "question of accents" because in Italy (where we usually have tonic accents) we also have many dialects: each of our regions has one. These dialects also affect how you "hear" these words. Not knowing how to explain Barbara's diction, I simplified by arriving at this solution.

I like how you expressed the difference between Diodato and Barbara. I never thought that they are comparable in style but, a little, in the meaning, in the refined melody, in the passion. The only thing I can't stand, someone who is very caustic in his comments, is the lack of respect. It's okay to say you don't like a song, it's okay to joke, but when it ends up in offense it's bad. Last year I was very bitter about these bad reactions.

I tell you that you "as a non-lover of your song" must be proud of "Voilà". I had been writing for years that France had to go back to its origins to make Eurofans dream. It would also be nice if next year you would bring the Rap genre! You have a lot of artists, especially of African descent, who could show another value of your beautiful nation: being multicultural! My wish, now I speak in general, is to see the "Big Five" more and more competitive. When everyone is strong in a competition, it becomes a lot of fun and unpredictable.
Your first conclusion was totally logical indeed. It's not common to hear such clarity in wording, I was myself impressed the first time I heard it. It's even more striking in her other songs. And as someone who has an accent, I understand how it can affect how you perceive sounds. It was an expected mistake on your part.

I didn't like Diodato much last year, I didn't connect to it on an emotional level so the chorus tended to annoy me, but like you, I absolutely disagree with some of the reactions it got. And like Hayashi suggested, it grew on me a little over the year.
I didn't follow much of San Remo in 2020 as usual but I liked Levante a lot, some midtempo with passionate vocals, it was definitely something I would have liked to hear from Italy. I didn't listen to the 2021 selection yet so I'll comment on that later.

I dislike the fact Voilà is our entry for different reasons I developed in the French thread, but we can still be proud of it. And yes, I hope we'll get rap one day, or at least something with a more urban sound. It's a big part of our musical scene, so why not showcase it in ESC.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
Despite being country blocked at the moment on Spotify and for most official videos on Youtube I've been hitting replay on the standalone song videos (or Sanremo performances) of my top that have been lodged in my brain since the first listen.

"Parlami" is much weaker than last year's song, this is true, but it can compete for the victory in Sanremo. Fasma has a good stage presence, his voice is particular and his song is romantic and new-style (a perfect Italian Trap poster).

It could be bias speaking (shocking, I know), but I thought Fasma's performance was like his song: a balance of raw vulnerability with an intense emotion. I don't understand the hang-up on the auto-tune. There is some, yes, but I still managed to hear his actual vocals through them.

This makes us understand that the song could be dangerous on the ESC. When a song is good it never has fully positive opinions, while when it is a normal song it is filled with compliments. I believe the battle between Maneskin and Blind Channel would be epic. I wouldn't care who wins at all but it would make the ESC glow.

Maneskin brought such an impression with their look, those riffs, and how the lead singer was able to maintain his vocals while including partial swagger and anger *chef's kiss*. I really hope those plagiarism claims are just that.

So ... Colapesce and Dimartino brought an interesting song to Sanremo. Personally, both the musical part and the sung part reminded me of some songs from the 70s. The beauty of all this was that they totally reinterpreted that sound and created something new and pleasant.

I adore Colapesce Dimartino SO! MUCH! What starts out as this mellow folk out of nowhere switches up and then proceeds to take us on this shoulder shimmying, toe tapping ride, it's just nonstop vibes and good times (with bonus roller skates), I was doing their arm "dance" with them :D

Max is one of the most eclectic artists on the Italian scene. He has always been a musical experimenter and his interpretations are almost always bordering on madness. I really like him as a singer.

Max Gazze is one of those blueprints for why, if possible, people should try to watch national festivals. An absolute gem and so enjoyable, the music is so infectious and unusual (in a good way!) that by the end you're shouting, "Si puo fare!" along with the backup singers.

In Italy there is a mystery that no one has ever managed to solve "Who is Ghemon?". I often see this unacceptable guy among the "Champions"

I wasn't really into Ghemon's first Sanremo effort, but very much supported his last album, and again, this sounded like something that could've been a track from it, which for the most part was more chill and throwback. While I enjoyed the song, I do wonder why he didn't bring something like In Un Certo Qual Modo

Many may say to me "You do not spoil Madame! Then she is good!". No, it takes objectivity ... Madame was very bad.

Agree to disagree. I liked her fast flow (perhaps not to everyone's tastes, or maybe, as the press predicted, they didn't understand her), but it seemed that her confidence was a bit meek; It wasn't until I re-watched Fasma's performance that I noticed that he messed up the last stanza of his song, but I hadn't realized it during the live because of his stage presence.

Gianni Morandi, some Sanremo ago, said that Noemi was the "Italian Janis Joplin". Unfortunately, at that moment I was drinking tea ... for the surprise, I nearly suffocated ... this is a real heresy ... Noemi has a good voice but it is nothing special. The only great value of Noemi is the very particular vocal timbre.

While I enjoyed her performance (and yes, a lot of it is her vocals, which I love), you saying she's been likened to Janis Joplin just makes me wish even more that she would compete with something like Fammi respirare dai tuoi occhi

I just want to understand the yardstick used by many Eurofans. That's why I first expressed doubts about Gazzè and the fact that we can't afford the luxury of sending him to the ESC.

I think the problem is that it's such a coin toss; we all try to argue what is and isn't for Eurovision and make an exact science of what's dead in the water in the semis, but then in May we're all shocked.

As many have pointed out, there is a lot to be said about people that only watch in May, not only because of how they're feeling that year, but what they've come to expect (ex: countries like France and Italy are expected to be "classic" but it's fine if other countries send something that's more modern or campy/fun).

mauve

Veteran
Yesterday the streams weren't so good at the beginning and someone posted another stream that was much better. Could that someone post that link also? Just in case? :)

njdevils94

Veteran
My rankings from the first night of Sanremo.

:it: Sanremo 2021 (Night 1)
1. Madame - Voce
2. Annalisa - Dieci
3. Fasma - Parlami
4. Noemi - Glicine
5. Francesca Michielin & Fedez - Chiamami per nome
6. Måneskin - Zitti e buoni
7. Max Gazzè & La Trifluoperazina Monastery Band - Il Farmacista
8. Francesco Renga - Quando trovo te
9. Coma_Cose - Fiamme negli occhi
10. Arisa - Potevi fare di più
11. Colapesce & Dimartino - Musica leggerissima