Contact us

Holiday's this year

HarryUK

Veteran
There's been a bit of chatter about holidays this year so thought I'd make a thread. Have you booked a getaway for the summer yet??

I'm going to Manchester/Liverpool for Eurovision for 4 nights in May (if that even counts)

But my main summer holiday is a week in Croatia :hr: in September. Starting in Split, probably go up to Zadar and maybe Rijeka for a couple of days, but back down to Split as I fly back to London from there. I wanted to go for another week and go to Serbia & perhaps Montenegro, but alas work gets in the way!

hijirio

Veteran
Probably Israel early summer and Mauritius late summer, but haven't booked yet

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm going away next week actually, then I'll take another holiday in September/October time.

ShoeFlo

From 20th to 27th June I will travel to :is: for the second time after 2020. It's right in week around summer soltice which means it will never gets dark so sightseeing in the midnight is actually an option if my days are too busy :cool:

The first four days I will spend in Reykjavik.

On first day I will do some sort of scavanger hunt with an app. I don't really need that cause I still remember this city very well, "the places to be" and the secret spots but at least I playfully get to see many different places again.
In the evening I will go an popular Ice bar (Ive never been in one before)

On day two I will join a 14 hours bus tour to Vatnjajökull to visit the glacial lake Jökulsárlón including a boat ride and a side trip to the black-sanded diamond beach. I'll also get to see the Seljalandsfoss waterfall

on the third day I will do some flight simulation in which I hang feet dangling in front of a 20-metre wraparound screen showing pictures of Iceland. I've got a little bit fear of heights, hope I will be fine. Later this day I will join a Reykjavik booze tour with other tourists :D

On day four I will wander through the lava tubes of Raufarhólshellir

On the fifth day I will move from reykjavik to Akureyri in the Northern part of the island. Having arrived there I will first explore the city a bit... it's supposed to be very cute but I will be done rather quickly I guess... it is a city of barely 20.000 people.

On day six I will eventually travel to Myvatn lake, which is certainly the most popular tourist spot outside of the capital area... Myvatn means "mosquito lake" and it has its name not without a reason, so I hope I'll be fine :D Theyve got hot natural tubs there so I will take a long bath

On the way back to Akureyri I will maybe also stop at the Godafoss waterfall

When I am in Reykjavik I also want to go to the cat café. It's a small one, only five cats here, but for me as a cat lover it is a must-go. Even though my travel plans look very very scheduled I shall have free time for spontaneous activities especially on day 3 and 4.

lilka

I'm a teacher and in Poland teachers have their paid leave whenever the kids have either winter, Easter, Christmas or summer vacation. That means I have plenty of free time from 23rd June until 1st September. I'm leaving for Athens on 25th June for a 2-month stay and return to Poland on the 24th of August.
In Athens I'm going to attend again a Greek course (just like last year), just to make sure I'm really 100% ready to take the C2 Ellinomatheia language exam. I am also planning to go to as many Anna Vissi's concerts around Greece as possible. Gosh, she's 65 and when on stage, she literally destroys any other younger artist. Apart from that, I also want to see some other places in Greece I haven't seen yet.
On the 30th of September (Saturday) I'm going on an express trip to Larnaca, Cyprus, to attend Anna's big concert celebrating the 50th anniversary of her stage debut.

nofuxCZ

I hate central European winters and last year, I decided to run away for part of the winter to some warmer places. I spent 1 month in Sri Lanka in March and then 2 months in Vietnam and Indonesia in November and December and it was the best decision I could have done. Luckily I also have a job which allows me to work fully remotely. The prices are extremely low in these countries for EU standards, so you can live like a king there and the most expensive thing is the flight - which you can mitigate if you book early. This year I will most probably do the same thing for couple of months at the end of the year - just haven't decided which tropical country will be the lucky one this time :) I am thinking about Sri Lanka again and then travelling north to India.
For the summer, I will stay in Czechia, as I don't see the point of going on holiday during the one part of the year when the weather is nice and you can do anything here.

Bmbriga

There's been a bit of chatter about holidays this year so thought I'd make a thread. Have you booked a getaway for the summer yet??

I'm going to Manchester/Liverpool for Eurovision for 4 nights in May (if that even counts)

But my main summer holiday is a week in Croatia :hr: in September. Starting in Split, probably go up to Zadar and maybe Rijeka for a couple of days, but back down to Split as I fly back to London from there. I wanted to go for another week and go to Serbia & perhaps Montenegro, but alas work gets in the way!
Any specific reason for Rijeka?
Not worth the trip, imo.
Between Split and Zadar is Šibenik. Place with 2 UNESCO heritage sites and 4 fortresses.
Go to Trogir.
Take a day trip/boat tour to Blue Cave+5 Islands
Go south to Dubrivnik- drive on our new 2,5 km long bridge over the sea on the way there
Visit Ston on the way
A lot of better choices than Rijeka.
For any questions and recommendations feel free to send me PM.

I hope to go to Poland this year. I was planning last year, but didn't go in the end.
Or Albania, I also plan doing that for some time now.

Last edited:

HarryUK

Veteran
Not worth the trip, imo.
Between Split and Zadar is Šibenik. Place with 2 UNESCO heritage sites and 4 fortresses.
Go to Trogir.
Go south to Dubrivnik- drive on our new 2,5 km long bridge over the sea on the way there
Visit Ston on the way

I hope to go to Poland this year. I was planning last year, but didn't go in the end.
I’ve stayed in Trogir before - it’s stunning and conveniently close to the airport! Also visited Šibenik before but only briefly. Perhaps we can stay for a night or two!

Well, I think we want to do a road trip up the coast… Rijeka is a possibility. Thank you btw! I’m travelling with a local so I should be in capable hands, but I’ll reach out to you if I have any questions.

We’re avoiding Dubrovnik as it’s too touristy and everything’s inflated in price and too busy.

lilka

Not worth the trip, imo.
Go to Trogir.
Visit Ston on the way

Where in Poland, if I may ask? What type of trip is it going to be?

Bmbriga

Where in Poland, if I may ask? What type of trip is it going to be?

Last year I downscaled plans and wanted even to go just to Gdansk, because there were cheap plane tickets, but even that didn't worked out in the end.

But I would like to do a road trip, although I doubt other half will want to drive so much.
But last year for summer holiday I end up spending weeks at my in-laws', so I think somebody owns me xdiablo

I was just once in Poland and that was on Baltic coast. I never visited capital or other big cities.

We’re avoiding Dubrovnik as it’s too touristy and everything’s inflated in price and too busy.
I was in Dubrovnik some years ago end of August and it wasn't too crowded at all.
The important thing is not to go sightseeing just as the big cruise ship docks. :LOL:

AndroZeus

Haven't booked anything yet, I'll probably be trying to get a summer job, so we'll see how much holiday time I get :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm going away next week actually, then I'll take another holiday in September/October time.

and I am back from a week in Antalya for my birthday. xheat

I'm definitely going to plan some more trips to Antalya, anyone who knows me I always go there to visit one of my friends. I want to try fit in a couple of weekend breaks to some other places though if possible.

HarryUK

Veteran

I'm definitely going to plan some more trips to Antalya, anyone who knows me I always go there to visit one of my friends. I want to try fit in a couple of weekend breaks to some other places though if possible.
Is Turkey actually nice for a holiday? I stick to Croatia and Greece a lot if I want a week in the sun :LOL:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Is Turkey actually nice for a holiday? I stick to Croatia and Greece a lot if I want a week in the sun :LOL:

Well, it depends when you go. I usually go in late September and it's usually roasting hot +30 all the time. I went last November and it was low/mid 20s in the day and sunny, which is still nice imo and this week i've just gone it was just hitting +20 on some days and was a bit cloudy at times but still mostly sunny - but probably if want hot hot weather not the time to go. My friend said that the weather in the week before I went was warmer and iirc the weather coming up this week is even better. Compared to here the weather is so much better. I know in winter though it does get quite cold, albeit still a bit warmer than here. I don't usually go for the weather though.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Just come back from a short break in Tirana, Albania also. :D

lilka

I've just booked my 5-day trip to Larnaca, Cyprus from Athens where I'm staying for 2 months. I'm obviously going to travel around the island and visit some more cities, but some sunbathing is also necessary. :giggle:
Next time I'll see my famous friend I'm going to show her photos from my trip to her hometown. :p

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
How was Albania? I’d love to go but heard negative stories…

Well, we went to Tirana for a couple of days. My first impression was kinda poor ngl but I was judging on initial appearances. Parts of it look exactly how you'd expect a Balkan Non-EU ex-communist state to look. Quite run down, old and such. However, overall it was actually very nice. Our hotel was in the middle of a residential area, but Tirana is small enough that getting to the centre was easily walkable. There is a lot of coffee shops all over, and some quite nice looking bars up and down the main streets. There is also some places of interest such as Skanderbeg Square to see. The people seemed nice enough and I didn't feel particularly unsafe at any time. Even walking alone from a bar late at night half drunk. The added bonus is that it's super cheap also. We were there only a couple of days, but I don't think anymore is needed unless planning to travel to a resort.

Albania gets quite a bad rep here, particularly from the news and I don't think most of it is true. I noticed A LOT of Albanians on our flight had Britsh or Italian passports with knowledge of English being somewhat mixed. Also, Albanians seem to be very appearance conscious - particularly the younger ones from what I saw. I've never seen so many well groomed hot looking men and attractive well dressed women in one place. :lol:

HarryUK

Veteran
Well, we went to Tirana for a couple of days. My first impression was kinda poor ngl but I was judging on initial appearances. Parts of it look exactly how you'd expect a Balkan Non-EU ex-communist state to look. Quite run down, old and such. However, overall it was actually very nice. Our hotel was in the middle of a residential area, but Tirana is small enough that getting to the centre was easily walkable. There is a lot of coffee shops all over, and some quite nice looking bars up and down the main streets. There is also some places of interest such as Skanderbeg Square to see. The people seemed nice enough and I didn't feel particularly unsafe at any time. Even walking alone from a bar late at night half drunk. The added bonus is that it's super cheap also. We were there only a couple of days, but I don't think anymore is needed unless planning to travel to a resort.

Albania gets quite a bad rep here, particularly from the news and I don't think most of it is true. I noticed A LOT of Albanians on our flight had Britsh or Italian passports with knowledge of English being somewhat mixed. Also, Albanians seem to be very appearance conscious - particularly the younger ones from what I saw. I've never seen so many well groomed hot looking men and attractive well dressed women in one place. :lol:
Ohhh girl when i was in Corfu last summer, Grindr would pick up the hot Albanian men on the coast and it would be a feast for the eyes!!!! I would like to go, but as you say, it has a terrible reputation here

Sultana

When it comes to summer vacations I am clueless this year. Last year I went to Turkey, this year I still struggle with my destination point, if the luck is not on my side, I will definitely spend quality time at my home region of Chelyabinsk on the lakes or with my friends. I planned a trip to Moscow, but it turned out to be a little bit overpriced so I might visit my friend in Saint Petersburg, but I dont want to spend my summer in the city, I want to spend it somewhere closer to the nature

Top Bottom