6 3.4%

7 4.0%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Franzilein

Eh, mixed feelings. Studio record ain't it for me.

Pro:
– his voice, especially the 'oriental' vibe he got (them vibratos)

Con:
– doesn't reach me emotionally, nor musically; piano accompaniment feels incredibly uninspired with all these broken triads

Will strongly depend on the live performance, maybe he will turn it around and catch me there.

AlekS

Veteran
I watched the live performance first. That costume for this song was a choice, reminded me a worse version of Melovin's 2019 X Factor performance and Dotter in 2020. If they go with pompous staging again, of course it will add some points, but the song is still too meh. The vocals will be on point. For now it's :6:.

Decayingbooks

I gave it a :4:, it isn't bad but it isn't nothing new or original, one could even call it old fashioned and a bit cliché.
It may be to early to say it, but I predict a bottom 5 for France, he does have a great voice and I do see him getting votes from the judges but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a 0 from the televote, like Spain did in 2021.

Sammy

Veteran
Listening to it for the first time, I was a bit underwhelmed. But already on the second one, it completely caught me. Great entry from France, great start in a new season. I suppose I‘ll see this in my top 5 at least in may.

empo21

Veteran
I was worried we'd be getting Tom Leeb'd, but I feel like we were only ⅓ Leeb'd. Feels like they tried to pull a Switzerland on us with a French twist, though.

He sounds great, but the song is quite simple and repetitive. :6:

With the right staging (Eiffel Tower) and the right backdrop (Eiffel Tower) this can be very hyped in the odds as always and then successfully finish 14th.

harey

I don't like it. I find it boring, on the other few Songs I know from him there is a more popish uptempo chorus but here I can't remember the melody after listening to it. The song is too aimed to showcase his voice but at the end his voice take too much place and is overwhelming. I forgot it immediately after it ends. It would have been better maybe in a duet.

But people like him, so if people are happy it's the most important.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
I know it sucks to have another ballad, chanson thing, but you gotta remember : as long as ARA will stay HOD don't wait too much for any wacky, ambitious, upbeat, crazy stuff... I'm thinking about this because i remember an interview she did last year on a radio just before ESC and they told her about Loreen and Käärijä. For Loreen she was "well yeah she has a great chance on winning and she'd deserve it", but for Cha Cha Cha the host said basically "ooooh seems that you don't really like this one when i see your face" and ARA stayed silent...

Lesson learned : don't wait for anything too crazy from France here
French don't know how to do any wacky stuff anyway, it's always cringe
France is not a fun country y'know ? People here are boring as hell
Do i like my country ? No

HayashiM

Veteran
Je t'aime la France mais celle-ci n'est pas pour moi :(

The live performance makes a huge difference compared to audio only. I wish the song was as strong as Slimane's charisma, I love his vibe! In theory the "oriental meets the western" paradigm is promising but Blanka Paloma made those blend better for me.

I don't mind the predictable buildup with starting slow, taking it easy on the piano and letting Slimane's voice do the heavy lifting. But there's not much interesting in the journey nor the destination. The final dealbreaker are the lazy cringy lyrics (international audiences might not care much of course), even Tom Leeb fared better in that category.

:5:

mauve

Veteran
I still wonder why France decided to release the song so soon. Isn't there a danger of wear effect?
I am still torn about the song, but gave a :7: for now. Even if the song doesn't catch me as Pravi's, I can imagine that France will still be around my 10 -15th place in the end - there will be many worse entries coming as always, so ...
Said that, I am going back to sleep to recover from my cold. ;)

rasmuslights

Veteran
I know it sucks to have another ballad, chanson thing, but you gotta remember : as long as ARA will stay HOD don't wait too much for any wacky, ambitious, upbeat, crazy stuff... I'm thinking about this because i remember an interview she did last year on a radio just before ESC and they told her about Loreen and Käärijä. For Loreen she was "well yeah she has a great chance on winning and she'd deserve it", but for Cha Cha Cha the host said basically "ooooh seems that you don't really like this one when i see your face" and ARA stayed silent...

Lesson learned : don't wait for anything too crazy from France here
French don't know how to do any wacky stuff anyway, it's always cringe
France is not a fun country y'know ? People here are boring as hell
Do i like my country ? No

But there are also genres between a formulaic French ballad and wacky crazy stuff. I need something indie from France. They have such a huge indie scene.

VikingTiger

I just woke and learnt that Slimane is going to Malmø! I am on my fifth listening right now. France is one of my definite favourites in the Eurovision, la Zarra was my last year winner. And I am also a big fan of Slimane. I have kept an eye on him for some years now. I have many times had a slight hope that he would join Eurovision, but I really thought that would never happen. But here he is - AND with beautiful song! Slimane has a sublime voice, I love the rawness and tenderness he expresses at the same time. And I know he performs well live. France and Slimane - you have made my day!!
I know I'm probably (very) biased this being Slimane and in french - but there is no doubt this is a clear :12: for me.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member
As it usually happens with established artists I want to see one day in Eurovision (I think Marco Mengoni is the only exception if I think about it), this is not one of their best songs. I find it surprisingly tame and the overall package doesn't make me too excited. Nevertheless, it's a competent ballad for a competent singer and a good start for this season.

:8: for now. :)

Wynnter

Hm. Didn't really awake anything in me. Not bad, but not anything memorable either. Lands right in the middle. Grower potential is also questionable, but we'll see.

(Dang it's weird to have a Eurovision song this early, lmao. Bulgaria 2022 was already a weird thing for me back then)

rasmuslights

Veteran
As for most of you, this song has much to like. But there's not a lot to be excited about barring his voice.
Slimane is a huge star though, and I do not doubt his live performance (vocals and charisma) so this is already a good sign. They'll need to be extra careful with the staging though - they must not make it too cheesy.

Now the song itself is a bit too formulaic for me. It's well-produced but the structure itself is quite predictable but enjoyable.

As for the prediction; it's too early to say but around 11th place. Doing great with the jury (top 5) but not so great with the televote (around 15th place).

This is a decent effort from France. But I do wish France would select one of their indie artists for once.

7/12 for me!

0scar

Feels like this will do somewhat the same as Patricia Kaas in 2009, however "Et s'il fallait le faire" was better imo

ailane

Feels like this will do somewhat the same as Patricia Kaas in 2009, however "Et s'il fallait le faire" was better imo
Well,it's opinion,I don't think is right making comparisons like this,and I don't know this song so I can't say anything.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I still wonder why France decided to release the song so soon. Isn't there a danger of wear effect?
Publicity. JESC is coming up real soon, which is held in France, a prime opportunity to showcase the Eurovision entry.

Besides, if France start this season with a strong entry (which this one might become - I just don't believe that it is right now :-) ) they'll shoot up the winner odds and before you know it, the sheeple will have convinced themselves they can win.

Top Bottom