kdam7yU.png

OokeeCp.png

Alaska ā¦ California ā¦ Hawai'i ā¦ Oregon ā¦ Washington

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ā˜‚ WV67 - Kristin Kontrol - Smoke Rings

Thank you for the lovely words Robertxheart

And so I take it from the posts above (especially Kris') that what you all want is a last minute 6 song garage rock NF that is rigged in favour of NoBunny? Ok, i'll consider it.

nobunny.gif

ZoboCamel

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] Just noticed Dessa on your list and thought the name sounded vaguely familiar. Looked her up, and... hey! I saw her live earlier this year (as an opening/interval act for a show I went to). Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you enjoy her stuff but I nonetheless find it interesting to see a connection between my different fan communities like this, especially with an artist who doesn't seem to be all that well-known.

TL;DR I saw one of your favourite artists live entirely by accident and only just noticed. :lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] Just noticed Dessa on your list and thought the name sounded vaguely familiar. Looked her up, and... hey! I saw her live earlier this year (as an opening/interval act for a show I went to). Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you enjoy her stuff but I nonetheless find it interesting to see a connection between my different fan communities like this, especially with an artist who doesn't seem to be all that well-known.

TL;DR I saw one of your favourite artists live entirely by accident and only just noticed. :lol:

Woah, what an amazing accident. It's a small world. I'm rather jealous:lol: So who was she opening for?

It's super hard to categorize Dessa as she has so many sides to her work, but I would consider her my favourite hip hop / RnB / Pop artist. She opened the doors of a genre for me I never thought i'd properly be able to get into. I've gotta brave her at WorldVision eventually.

ZoboCamel

Woah, what an amazing accident. It's a small world. I'm rather jealous:lol: So who was she opening for?

It's super hard to categorize Dessa as she has so many sides to her work, but I would consider her my favourite hip hop / RnB / Pop artist. She opened the doors of a genre for me I never thought i'd properly be able to get into. I've gotta brave her at WorldVision eventually.

She was one of the musical acts accompanying the cast of Welcome to Night Vale (an American mystery/comedy/horror radio show, released as a podcast, that they do theatre-style tours of). If you haven't already heard of it, I get the feeling you'd like it for some reason. They develop it a lot as it goes along, but the first episode should give you a general idea if you're interested:

If nothing else, I think you'd like the music from it - they use one song from an indie artist as the 'weather' segment each week, and Dessa's style is pretty typical of what they usually get on. They also used Jason Webley's Pyramid in one episode, which was something I suggested to you as a while back and you said you enjoyed.

daniels1000

The options brightest in my head:

::mida

- I return to Mid-Atlantic and send right off the bat internally a hot piece of synthpop. Would be VERY different to Kristin. The song i've been wanting to share with you since the dawn of time is loud, explosive and there's a lot of tight outfits. Make no mistake, this would be my most "WTF has he sent" entry to date, just because it's so different to everything else.

What else would Mid-Atlantic bring?

- You'd likely get my band of the moment, The Lemon Twigs. Wondrous Todd Rundgren-esque psych rock. Maybe also think Beatles or Ariel Pink (as a dear friend was getting vibes of him).

- Of course, Mid-Atlantic is the land of KV, my idol, KURT FREAKING VILExheat Pretty sure you'll be subjected to a 6 song NF of his songs, where I proclaim him to be Jesus, and some of you join in. Then I send him to WorldVision and flop again and pretend i'm cool beans with itxheart

- The War On Drugs, but sweet boby Jebus give me a PQ for this one. I love this band but I have ONE song from them that's super deep and special to me.

- Todd Rundgren. Todd is godd.

- Some RNB.

- A rock icon. Can't really say more than that as I wouldn't want to spoil it.

- This region could also see Rufus Wainwright, Mac DeMarco, Porches, Blood Orange, Eartha Kitt, Amy Klein, Run-D.M.C., Meredith Monk, Big Thief, Grace Jones, Xenia Rubinos, Marianne Faithfull (YES, i've got a way of doing this but it's gonna be super dangerous), Billie Holiday, Aerosmith (think I can get away with this one from Mid-Atlantic), Antony part 2, Blonde Redhead, Psychic TV, Kevin Morby, The Babies.

The problem is there is still a ridiculous tonne of unfinished business from Pacific.

:paci:

- So many rock artists from here.. La Lenguas, Shannon and the Clams, Meatbodies, Hunx and his Punx, Crocodiles, NoBunny, King Tuff, Morgan Delt, The Growlers, Stevie Nicks.... actually, emphasis on Stevie Nicks there. I think she'd give me a pretty awesome and solid entry. Also can't forget Katy Goodman & Greta Morgan.

- I have a top secret childhood pop fave who I wanted to send.

- I never sent any of my outsider artists like The Space Lady, Holy Shit! or Daniel Johnston.

- There's a country music legend I wanted to send.

- The Xiu Xiu and Joanna Newsom fandom i'll be letting down by moving on yet again from this region with neither artist having been sent to WorldVision.

- Some grunge rock. I get real nostalgia punch for the late 90s stuff. I'd send one of the big ones.

- I want to send Elliott Smith again and it can be done from Pacific States as he lived out his final days here. Of course this will be a very big risk and make me incredibly nervous. He would have most likely been my PQ if I won this edition, and now the thought of just sending him again is running through my head, and it's a dangerous thought. I could very easily turn him into my own Justyna and send him about 76 times with my fingers crossed that one day he'll reach the final. It's a very honest goal I have with him. All I want to do is put right what happened before. I put too much heart into the process of sending him. I felt I let him down. Sending him the first time was easily my WV low-point.

- Lubed

Shall we look at Midwest as well, ok:cool:

::midw

- Dessa NF. This would 99.9999999897% happen. I chickened out the first time I was with Midwest. I was like "k so Dessa is in the final as part of Doomtree BYE *runs*". She's releasing new music at the moment, and an album should follow very soon.

- The Orwells. This one is 99.68490000009% likely to happen. I want some super fly garage skater punk rock at WorldVision damn it!

- Jay Reatard to give WorldVision a short, sharp shock of something wild and outrageous.

- Gentlemen of Doomtree NF. What it says on the tin. The rather on point gentlemen of my favourite hip hop collective have some rather delicious solo stuff. Sims and Mike Mictlan especially.

And umm yeah, other stuff as well like Josephine Foster, Jan Terri, Julee Cruise, Patty Waters, Lizzo, Miss Chiff, Shy Boys.

:sc:

Then also I can join Daniel in the Scottish jury.

- Tallia Storm with her retro synth-pop hit which would return WV to Scotland.

- Saor icon for the 2nd time in a row for Scotland with his longest atmospheric celtic black metal song.

- Falloch icons with their touching post-black-metal stuff.

- A pagan metal band Askival icons with their non-metal song.

- Fuath icon with their black metal songs.

- There are some Scottish synth-pop songs I want to send.

- There are also some experimental artists I want to send. Sleep Research Facility with their 50 minutes of dark ambient deep freeze music that would make you feel like you're on the North Pole surrounded by icebergs and thecoldwithout with their 20 minutes long experimental noise.

- Some songs about my favorite themes: death, pain and sorrow.

*looks at wall of text* Wow, i'm incredibly self indulgent..... don't mind mexshiftyxwhistle

What an interesting idea you have there xthinkxshiftyxwhistlexafro-O-
hello.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

What an interesting idea you have there xthinkxshiftyxwhistlexafro-O-
hello.gif

Can we use Sleep Research Facility and their 50 minutes of dark ambient deep freeze music after we've acquired the PQ from the Tallia Storm win? Something tells me that's an entry that is very much going to be draw dependent. If we don't get the right players then it's lights out in the semi.

Also can we please get Anita Manning to host?

Also I have decided our song featuring death, pain and sorrow. In fact, fun true story.. I suggested this one to you about a year ago. Obviously you're waiting for me to join youxheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Kai, I still cannot get over your hot achievement from last edition. Congratulations pet. As a further token of congratulations, I have left you some kuduro and the kind of storybook cheese that leaves me jaded everywhere but Esk.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

^ Such a magical moment above as I like the post and the Nightwish NF performance video transforms into Gregorian. I'll have to return the favour in your greenroom now........ petxheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

lettrs

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

So ummmmm... yeah. I selected my PQ entry and errrm......................

2lilR7O.png

I'm officially the biggest wimp of all time. All the hundreds of artists I have and adore that wouldn't stand a chance of ever reaching the final, and I pick the man who has already gotten me into the final twice, securing 11th and 4th place finishes... but you know what? My little heart is beating, I don't feel well, it's my birthday in like 3 days and this all has come as a complete shock to me, the hosting and the PQ. I thought of sending dear Elliott Smith but I don't want to be wallowing. I just was listening to his songs then as I was trying to decide what to send and he made me cry. Man I don't need that right now. I'm going to one day see him through the semis *fingers crossed*. What I need at this moment is to send my favourite artist alive, who I had near heart failures with the first couple of times I dared him, to send him this time with a song TOTALLY different to the other entries of his, and any of the other songs i've sent actually, full stop. The previous Mikal songs were quite artful choices (well, you picked them). We're going full on glorious garage rock this edition. Quite possibly my favourite rock song of all time. This is my jam. It lifts me up to unbelievable levels and it's still got wonderful Mikal's sincere, heartfelt vocals dragging me back down again, but it's the closest i'm ever going to get to taking off. I from the heart hope you enjoy this one, and thank you for listening to Mr. Cronin again with me for a 3rd time. I'd like to think he's up there now with the WorldVision goddesses such as Cascada and Justyna, their spam which we have all adoredxheart

This is the last song of his i'll be sending now until he releases some new music for me to consider........................................................................... ............ ................... ...... .. . . ...... ok maybe "v) Different" at Christmasxheat

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

So chuffed you've found something so quickly that fits the times. Looking forwards to finding out what it is tomorrow! xlove

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ā˜‚ WV68 - Mikal Cronin - Weight

Va1nfiI.gif

So I had a bit of a mini breakdown this edition when choosing what was the be my PQ entry. I was very grateful that the rules were already being bent for me, so that I could host and choose a PQ entry. I really was taking my sweet time though with deciding on a song, and my mind was focused purely on making the shows. I was told I had to send in a song though, and I started to panic. Elliott Smith was top of my PQ pile. Had I won with Kristin then it was very likely going to be him sent for a second time, to make up for failure with him that got me down before. John Cale from The Velvet Underground was also in the running here. After being told I had to make a choice and quick, I started listening to the Elliott songs I had in mind, and they were really getting me down. I don't think it was the right moment to be swimming in such sadness, so I had to make the very hard decision to pass up this chance to send a very special artist.

Mikal Cronin travels to a lot of areas musically and i've shown two not rare, but certainly more uncommon sides of him. 80% of the time Mikal is rocking, and I really wanted to share that side with WorldVision. Here was my chance to send probably my favourite rock song ever, that really lifts me up, and maybe i'm a fool for using a PQ on this if we go by his previous results, but I don't think you understand the weight (pun intended) lifted from my shoulders, being able to send a song and artist I so adore, and having the comfort of this PQ. There are literally hundreds of songs I have that would stand no chance of reaching the final, and would have made very good use of this PQ, but I wanted to cement Mikal as my King and scratch this darn itch to send a proper, full on garage rock song, an itch that for sure wouldn't go away otherwise.

Taken from Mikal's awesome 2013 release "MCII", album opener "Weight" is quite possibly the greatest slice of garage rock meets power pop ever. It's very much a coming of age song, and so perfect for this edition where i'll be closer to 30 than I am 20 *gasps*. A lot of his songs deal with coming of age, strangely enough and perhaps that's why I relate so much with them. They seem to be about coming to terms with the clock ticking and finding release and comfort. This track is the pinnacle of his stuff like this and ultimately his most uplifting song he's released. It's more about hanging on and refusing to give in to time, though you know it's still there. Fight it. Thank you for letting me share Mikal with you for the third time, and I hope you enjoy the song.

Iā€™ve been starting over for a long time
Iā€™m not ready for another day I fail at feeling new
The time is right, Iā€™m only getting older
Iā€™m not ready for the second wave, the weight of seeing through

No, be bolder, golden light for miles
Sing for love in colder portions of my mind
Iā€™m not ready for the weight again
Tie a line and hold on for a long time
Thereā€™s an answer for another man, Iā€™ve yet to find a way
Wasted years or waiting for a savior
Iā€™m not made out for the simple path, Iā€™ll take it day to day

No, be bolder, golden light for miles
Sing for love in colder portions of my mind
Iā€™m not ready for the moment
Iā€™m not ready for the tide to change
Iā€™m not ready for the silence
Iā€™m not ready for the fear and shame
Iā€™m not ready for the weight again
Take me from myself
Holding on for something, I donā€™t know

Iā€™ve been starting over for a long time
Iā€™m not ready for the second wave, the weight of seeing through

Live performances​

Genesis

Rainy xfaint You clearly know how much I love this song, and how I consider "Weight" as his the best one. I wouldn't expect to see him and this song so soon, but given the circumstances, I am not surprised you have used such an opportunity. I hope it does REAALLLY well for you! xcheer xlove xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Rainy xfaint You clearly know how much I love this song, and how I consider "Weight" as his the best one. I wouldn't expect to see him and this song so soon, but given the circumstances, I am not surprised you have used such an opportunity. I hope it does REAALLLY well for you! xcheer xlove xheart

Thank you so much Marioxrose I know how keen you are on Mikal and this song, and it makes me so happy to know he's got some new fans now thanks to this game (and my spamxheat). I'm surprised as well that this has happened. When I joined this game I said to myself I wouldn't be one of those players who sends the same artist multiple times in quick succession (no shade as I love those very bless players that do so *wink wink*) and here I am sending Mikal Cronin 3 times in 10 editions. "Weight" had actually already been in three NFs: Ariel Pink VS Mikal Cronin NF, that quick 3 song Mikal NF and then of course the big 6 song Mikal NF. I really was hoping that people would get behind it and force me into sending it. People wanted the ballads each time though.

It would be sensational to have another wonderful result with him, but if it doesn't happen then at least I know it was the right decision to send the song with the PQ. In fact, it's right anyway because i'm really happy right now sending Mikal without feeling horribly nervous. It's such a cool birthday gift. The song probably ranks in my top 3 i've sent to the game as well, a smidgen behind "I've Been Loved" and "The Kiss".

Romeo

just regarding our new contest chat.. this is one i was going to send to WV.. think you might like her

Salmon

Just to tell you, this wouldā€™ve been my 12 if I hadnā€™t taken a break for the edition ā€“ good luck with this piece of garge!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=12986]Romeo[/MENTION] oh my goodness, she is amazing. In love already. That music videoxheart Someone needs to write La Barokka a big euro anthem and place her into the next national final to select the Maltese Eurovision entry. Thank you for this amazing introduction to La Barokka.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Just to tell you, this wouldā€™ve been my 12 if I hadnā€™t taken a break for the edition ā€“ good luck with this piece of garge!

Aww thank you, that's wonderful to hear Salmon.... I think (hope I don't lose now by 1 pointxheat). It means a great deal that so many have taken to Mikal Cronin's music. I honestly didn't think he'd work here at all. Don't worry as i've got plenty more garge where this came from, only problem just being that this is a pinnacle track for me in the genre. It will be difficult enough to equal, let alone pass. I haven't come across another garage rock artist yet possessing the warmth and richness of Mikal's music. Maybe one day soon i'll put together a special garage garge rock NF. I have been meaning to do one for a long time. I do have an excuse to not to do one for a while now thoughxheart Unlike when I had no excuses not to send 80s inspired lo-fi bedroom synthpop from Part Time, and embracing the hot flop that was my destiny.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Congratulations on another great result and a hosting for the record books. As a result of your achievements, I have decided to bring back Calvin Crushes, everyone's 7th favorite feature of your greenroom. Today, here are three Wan Gay notes:

829b87b33bd1427bad42fc55c3785df0c81a04f0a063e9fef2329af39c031ae1.jpg

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Oh, and there was me thinking you were excited to have me around when we were watching the baseball last month... ;)

Top Bottom