Contact us

Canada šŸWV 191: Cleopatrick - Hometown

esc87fan

xCAi0i2.png

Team Canada Info
Current Juror: esc87fan (WV46-WV85, WV93-)
Best Finish: 1st place, WV 146, WV 167
Hostings: WV 61 Toronto, WV 137 Vancouver, WV 147 St. John's, WV 168 Winnipeg

hQl6LCv.png

Last edited:

esc87fan

Re: CANADA - WV85

Unfortunately, it was not to be, but thank you to the few that did like my entry this edition. I guess luck wasn't on my side being drawn into a semi with little support

Next edition is my 40th with Canada and my 70th overall, so I'm promising something very special that I hope you will all like

esc87fan

WV85 Announcement

Wake up the neighbors... CBMC is proud to announce that Bryan Adams will be returning to defend the Canadian colors at WV85! Which of his songs are you hoping for?

esc87fan

A few thoughts about the recent rules drama...

When I joined WV back in June 2013, I mostly did it to discover new music from around the world and reconnect with songs that I hadn't heard in a long time. I had chosen Switzerland because I wanted to challenge myself and stayed there for 30 editions having fulfilled all my main goals within 20 (first qualification, first top 10, first top 5, first win). Then when I moved to Canada, there was so much I wanted to share musically mostly from my perspective - mostly the music I grew up with and loved most of my life. Yes, I know I've had less success in nearly 40 editions as the Canadian juror than I did with Switzerland (aka: more DNQs than successes), but I keep telling myself it's better to not qualify with a song you love and that's a part of you than qualify with a song you don't believe in (aka: a song that's not in your comfort zone and not your taste). I've done my best to promote the songs I've sent over the past 4 years and spread them across many decades and genres (pop, R&B, rock, folk, country, instrumental, etc.). It does hurt when a song I love doesn't do well, but I know that I have to keep trying if I want success - that frame of mind helped me greatly with Switzerland.

WV has also helped me make so many new and wonderful friends, most notably Calvin, Kai, Robert, Anna and Eulaliya among others. Some of them have been incredible allies in the last little while and have been a great source of encouragement.

That being said, I just hope that everyone in the WV community comes together to find a total and fair solution that works for everyone regarding the recent rule changes

esc87fan

The Canadian delegation is in mourning right now. It is with great sadness to announce that Gord Downie, frontman of WV69 representatives The Tragically Hip, lost his fight with terminal brain cancer and passed away on Tuesday night surrounded by his family, he was 53 years old. He and the band were legends in our country, and he will be greatly missed. But their music will live on in Canada forever

Despite finishing last in the semifinal, we remember his memory with their entry from WV69, "Ahead by a Century", including the Rio 2016 closing montage.

JChan

The Canadian delegation is in mourning right now. It is with great sadness to announce that Gord Downie, frontman of WV69 representatives The Tragically Hip, lost his fight with terminal brain cancer and passed away on Tuesday night surrounded by his family, he was 53 years old. He and the band were legends in our country, and he will be greatly missed. But their music will live on in Canada forever

Man, what a punch in the gut. Gord and the Hip were the soundtrack for Canada. You may not like his music, but Gord is a Canadian legend, supremely talented and the world is a little dimmer without him. He handled terminal cancer in a way that we can all aspire to when given the worst news possible. RIP Gord, you will be missed but your legacy will live on.

Thanks so much for posting that beautiful tribute xheart

esc87fan

Re: CANADA - WV85 SF3 #13: Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

WORLDVISION 85 CARDIFF :ca::wale:

Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

(Main theme of the film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)

Video

Lyrics
Look into my eyes, you will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart, search your soul
And when you find it there, you'll search no more
Don't tell me it's not worth trying for
Don't tell me it's not worth dying for
You know it's true, everything I do
I do it for you

Look into your heart, you will find
There's nothing there to hide
Take me as I am, take my life
I will give it all, I would sacrifice
You can't tell me it's not worth fighting for
I can't help it, there's nothing I want more
I do it for you

There's no love like your love
And no other could give more love
There's no way unless you're there
All the time, all the way

Oh, you can't tell me it's not worth fighting for
I can't help it, there's nothing I want more

Yeah, I would fight for you, I'd lie for you
Walk the wire for you, yeah I'd die for you...

Oh... I do it for you

Hele.

Re: CANADA - WV85 SF3 #13: Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

I have special feelings towards this song...xheart Because, when I was child (and as almost every child loved uptempo pop, preferably, childish hits and as well, didn't like songs in foreign languages that couldn't understand), this was one of first songs in English and ballads that I felt in love with when I heard it first time when my brother was listening to it xheart

esc87fan

Re: CANADA

What a ride it's been over the last 40 editions! From the highs to the lows, I've enjoyed showing you the Canadian music scene I know and love. I thank you for all the support, especially during the tough times when I needed that extra boost of confidence

Starting in WV86, I will be leaving the country in the capable hands of ZoboCamel as I transform from Duchess of Canada to Empress of Japan - time for a new challenge and new experiences. One of these days, I would love to hold a retrospective LL party of my time with my native country.

Looking forward to sharing my new journey with you! :ca::jp:

ZoboCamel

Canada | WV86: Something Old, Something New

Aaaalright, let's get the ball rolling! After 21 editions with Japan, I figured I'd go for a bit of fresh air, and long story short, I've ended up in Canada. Before getting fully into things here, though, I'm vaguely considering hosting an LL recap of my Japanese entries on Plug this Saturday (around the evening for me, so midday CET) - would anybody be interested in turning up? If I get a couple of people who'd like to come along and chat, I'll see if I can get something set up :)

Regardless, the Canadian show must go on, so I've just submitted my first entry from the country. I was umm-ing and ahh-ing over my shortlist for a while, but listening through Ole's NF for this edition made me reminisce about my childhood love of pop-punk, which eventually gave me a good idea for a first Canadian entry.

The song I've submitted holds a rather special place in my heart, because it's one of the very first songs that I remember liking as my own music - not something that I'd heard from my parents and come to enjoy, and not just a general kids' song, but something I found myself and spammed over and over. I've got no idea how it'll go at WV, but it's worth a shot!

The new thread title I put up - "Something Old, Something New" - comes from a combination of my move to a new jury and my choice of an older song (not retro by any means, but not as recently released as my usual Japanese entries). Moving forward, I've got a few genres that'll set the tone for my time in the region - I've got a good mix lined up of rock, pop, folk, and of course a healthy smattering of emotional instrumental pieces, plus some other bits and bobs here and there.

What gets sent will all depend on how long I spend with the region, though - and on what recommendations I get! Seeing as my Canadian shortlist is much shorter than my Japanese one - which was more of a "longlist", in all honesty - there's a good chance that any recommendations I like will pop up at some point.

Anyways, that's about it until my entry reveal, at which point I'll try to spruce up the pinned post and so on. Looking forward to it!

ZoboCamel

Re: Canada | WV90: "Zobo vs. The Suggestions" NF, and some catchup

Well, this thread's been a little bit dead, hasn't it? Seeing that people who've been on break for a few editions have still been more active in green room threads than I have, I figured I should prooooobably update this :lol: For those who want to read my rambling thoughts on the last few editions and some reasons for my relative absence, it's spoilered below, so take a read ā€“ otherwise, I've got my first Canadian NF good to go, so feel free to skip to that!

WV90 NF: Zobo vs. The Suggestions
I've wanted to do an NF in Canada for a while now, but between time constraints and some indecision, haven't quite gotten around to putting one up yet. Now, it's time for that to change, with an NF that is ā€“ as the title indicates ā€“ a bit of a battle between a few of my own picks and a few suggestions I've received from other players for Canada. Let's get into it!

1. Tomato/Tomato ā€“ Toss It All Away
Entered by: Me

2. Metric ā€“ Artificial Nocturne
Entered by: [MENTION=10351]Trece[/MENTION]

3. F-777 ā€“ Zodiac
Entered by: Me

4. Logan Staats ā€“ The Lucky Ones
Entered by: [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION]

5. Avril Lavigne - Complicated
Entered by: @RainyWoods Me

6. Leonard Cohen ā€“ You Want It Darker
Entered by: [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION]

Text show for voting purposes:

And so we have three suggestions and three songs of my own, with variety ranging from pop and midtempo to folk, instrumentals and alternative stuff. If you've suggested stuff to me over the last few months and it's not here, there's always the chance it'll pop up in the future ā€“ so even if I haven't responded to your suggestion (sorry about that!), it might be there next time. I'll probably have another mixed NF like this at some point before leaving Canada, and I've made sure to save some more good stuff for that.

Voting is to be done in my usual six-song system, for those who remember it from my Japanese NFs: Use one each of 10-7-5-3-2-1, voting for all songs with no blanks and no repeats. Comments are hugely appreciated but, of course, not necessary.

Voting will close at 12:30 CET on the 19th of February ā€“ so five and a half hours before the WV90 entry submission deadline (I've tried to cut it close, since I'm aware I've left it a little late to put up this NF). Also, just a note: I'll include a set of votes from myself if things end with less than five voters, since it's a suggestions NF and I'd rather not have things be too swayed one way or another if we only get a couple of voters and each favours their own suggestions. Hopefully that won't be the case though~

Regardless, I look forward to your votes! xheya

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Sup boys... so whaddya guys wanna do today? Dude you wanna crash the MALL!? Nahaniiiiiccccccceeeee. OKAYYYY!!!!

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

Wow i didnt even expect the song i suggested will pop up in NF :eek: I will vote here later for sure

ZoboCamel

Thanks to :en::br:::mida for giving me my first three sets of votes in this NF! Apart from one song lagging behind a little, things are quite close so far: 1stā€“5th place could be overturned by a single set of votes. Which brings us to my next point... mention-spam! Everybody's favourite part of NFs xheat

So to mention those who've voted in my last few NFs, those who've got songs entered here, and a few others who I think could be interested:
[MENTION=14612]Aditya[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=15333]JChan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=9461]nekoisneko[/MENTION] [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION] [MENTION=15013]Ringdalen[/MENTION] [MENTION=9149]Shmelsasha[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

Though I'll of course welcome votes from anybody else too! Looking forward to seeing how things develop from here~

Fierro

:no: has voted! xcheer So many interesting songs and discoveries here (especially Avril :lol:) I've added my 12 points to personal youtube playlist. Hope it'll win!

ZoboCamel

Whoa, what's with this sudden bombardment of votes?

utUSZlw.png

Five voters in the space of an hour... this is beautiful xheat I'll try to reply to individual messages tomorrow when I'm not about to drop into bed, but for now, a big thanks to :li:sb:gr::au::ru::no:!

After the new voter-clump, things have shifted around a bit. All songs bar one have been someone's favourite, we now have two songs lagging behind a little (albeit staying within striking range), and things at the top have gotten... much, much closer. There are a lot of different opinions here, and things are incredibly close between the top four, which is certainly interesting to watch on my end! Current scores:

Leydan

Super Moderator
Staff member

no invitation? and I was planning on voting. xbeee how very scandalous.

Top Bottom