8 4.8%

8 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

aef

What’s all that sympathy for Sway about. This was so weak in my opinion. Very forgettable.

MS.

A bit disappointed by Luize
I loved the song but the live performance was very average :( Hope she gets better in the final.
Sudden lights were the best tonight i guess.

jatojo

They must have known Inspo's vocals were bad - there is backing vocals constantly.

Sabrewulf238

I think "You Said" is definitely my favourite (it's catchy and it just has "something"), though I'm pretty sure Latvia won't pick it,

I'm not sure if there's anything in this NF selection that can get them a qualification though.

bstream

Really, only songs 4 (Toms Kalderauskis) and 11 (Patrisha) positively stood out to me.

Song 4 gives me UK 2019 vibes — decent vocalist, half-finished song that needs to be revamped in order to actually make any waves at ESC.

Song 11 also has decent vocals (those effortless runs!), but the song just needs a bit more. The staging is ok, so I think it might be that the instrumentals sound a bit disjointed, specifically with abrupt cuts between instruments and beats, and a hollowness to them. It can possibly qualify, but countries should be pushing for a top 10 finish — if not a win.

Geborgenheit

have read otherwhere that sway is out.
really?
that is shocking!

Not surprised. Voting in Latvia is usually rigged by relatives and friends who vote for their favorite regardless of song and quality. I agree that some awful songs are in the final, but that's how it is here. Sudden lights will win in the end, I hope.

empo21

Veteran
I have nothing to say about this selection, but...

I was shocked to find out the Justs failed to qualify in a semi where 10/14 make it through (which btw why even make a semi-final). I thought he'd make it past simply on name or ESC success recognition. After listening to his song, I was even more shocked at how it was even allowed into the selection.

I'd say Latvia needs Aminata to fix this, but even she's lost her edge, so Latvia God help you.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Just like the first Melodifestivalen semi, there was nothing here to love sadly. Even worse when there aren't any more songs coming and this is all there is.

Luīze, Inspo, Sudden Lights, Katrine Miller, Raum and Markus Riva all had OK songs, but nothing that wowed me. The rest of the songs were quite terrible. 24 Avēnija had the absolute worst song of the night for me, but with my luck they'll probably go and win the whole thing.

ollibox

Just checked the results... WTF happened to Inspo??? :eek:
Watched the live performance as well, I guess that was the "case"...
Luckily Raum is still there... And Patrisha has started to grow on me quite hard :p

Looren

Veteran
Just listened to the lives :

1. Avéi - Let Me Go : This was not on my radar before show, but her performance live got me, very emotional
2. LUIZE - You To Hold Me : Wish her live was better but still feeling emotional when listening to it

3. Alise Hajima - Tricky : Very catchy song and well performed
4. Sudden Lights - Aija : If Latvia wants to Q they have to send this, it really has a shot to make it, very well staged and performed song

5. RAUM - Fake Love : Splendid singer, good chorus but verses are bit flat, still nice overall, think it would have a shot to Q in ESC
6. Markus Riva - Forever : It's actually enjoyable

7. Toms Kalderauskis - When It All Falls : Man is good, deserves a better song
8. Patrisha - Hush : Splendid performer but not a fan of the song, might be a borderline Q in ESC tho, Latvia would have a shot with this

9. Arturs Hatti - Love Vibes : Quite annoying song

10. 24 Avenija - You : AVOID THIS AT ALL COST

Realest

Wont do a full Ranking. I guess Luize is my Favourite.

ollibox

Hi everyone and greetings from :ee:xwave

Giving you my honest assessment of the SUPERNOVA 2023 selection. Hate me or love me after that xcoffee

Listening to all songs full for first time (only audio from Eurovisionwold.com site) here's my opinion:

(14.) 24. Avēnija - "You Said"
Modern, no doubt. But no melody to grab onto. Forgot it immediately after listening. Sorry.

(13.) Justs - "Stranger"
Nope, to mellow. Nothing particularly dislikeable in the song, but... Just not good enough to win Supernova. Also, I'm not a fan of this sadboi song genre.

(12.) Markus Riva - "Forever"
Also, not bad. Kind of Weeknd'ish beat. Can't say I like it a lot, but it's listenable. If I look forward to Liverpool, I wouldn't expect it to do well. So, not a Supernova winner for me.

(11.) Sudden Lights - "Aijā"
Sad rock beat. Not bad at all. But too sad for my taste. I might listen to it more some day. Not a winner in my book, though.

(10.) Toms Kalderauskis - "When It All Falls''
No no... It's somewhat better than some other entries, and pleasant for the ears at some point, but... Doesn't ring my bell significantly. Not going to win this year.

(9.) Artūrs Hatti - "Love Vibes"
In some parts, seems too familiar. But not in a bad way. The chorus is catchy enough and memorable. Might do good in the final!

(8.) Avéi - "Let Me Go"
Very nice! Slow melodic harmony at the beginning. Does not scream a winner for me, but this is one I would personally listen to many times after the competition! Overall, I like it!

(7.) Adriana Miglāne - "Like I Wanna"
Reminds me of Estonia's Elysa in some parts (the song I absolutely dislike). But this is MUCH better! Can feel the vibe! Might do well at ESC (but not exceptionally well).

(6.) Alise Haijima - "Tricky"
Nice beat! Unique voice. Overall, a bit too bland. No big "kick" in the song imo.

(5.) Luīze - "You to Hold Me"
Good song! Not bad at all! Not a winner at Supernova, there are better entries. But that's going to my personal playlist for sure.

(4.) Katrine Miller - "Beaten Down"
Nice voice. Comforting in some way. Really a quality ballad, nothing bad to say. Don't mind if she wins.

(3.) Patrisha - "Hush"
Wow! Powerful! Good entry! Playlist material for me! COULD win and probably won't do badly in Liverpool!

(2.) Inspo - "Sway"
Oh.. A rock song! Didn't expect that at the beginning! Evanescence vibes coming on! Not a bad thing, I like this genre quite a lot. Not specifically a rock fan, but this is different.
I can see it winning Supernova. How well would it do in Liverpool, I don't know... Depends on the staging.

(1.) Raum - "Fake Love"
Modern beat, that's good! Mixing the genres quite well. Contender for the win, for sure! Actually, I'd WANT it to win! My favorite by far!

Good luck on 11th of February! Will be watching you!xmetal

Cheers!xwave
Well, only one day to go til Super Saturday! xmetal

After listening the songs multiple times now and seen the live performances, my TOP 5 has changed significantly:

5. Luīze - "You to Hold Me"
Surprised to find out she's so young! And her live pretty good! Not the best song to get the crown, but I'm sure we'll see her back in the competition in the future, stronger and wiser :giggle:

4. Alise Haijima - "Tricky"
Nice and funny song. Quite an ear worm. Playlist material. Live was good. Nevertheless, too bland to send to ESC imo.

3. Sudden Lights - "Aijā"
I admit, I judged that song wrong when I first listened it (I was blinded by Inspo, I guess :LOL:). It's GOOD! I don't mind AT ALL if our neighbors would choose them on Saturday :giggle:

2. Raum - "Fake Love"
For me they are next best after Inspo. But live dragged them down a bit... Very decent and different (in positive way) track to send to Liverpool imo. The Bookmakers don't rate it high, but anything can happen (read: Belgium).

1. Patrisha - "Hush"
That really grew on me, stuck on repeat :love: Not sure if it's the right song for ESC, but I'm personally quite into it.

Nevertheless - I still cry for Inspo... Really don't understand how they were left out (FFS, 10/14 qualifying!!!). Of course, obviously the singer performed below the bar, but still...
Anyway, this will remain in my playlist for long time as one of Latvia's best entries ever. In my wet dream I see the band gets Sharon den Adel or Tarja Turunen to sing that song :love:

Top Bottom