Contact us

Kosovo KOSOVO 2024 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

GRE

I don't want to be political, but at the moment this topic is unreal.
At least, as long as Serbia is in.

Mainshow

Veteran
Serbia still take part in UEFA Euro 2024 despite Kosovo being in (previous sports events as well).

It's ridiculous at this point.
UEFA and FIFA voted Kosovo in years ago. It's strange that they are allowed to play football with other European countries but apparently, "singing together" would be a dealbreaker for Serbia (and other countries in the EBU).

rasmuslights

Veteran
Serbia still take part in UEFA Euro 2024 despite Kosovo being in (previous sports events as well).

It's ridiculous at this point.
UEFA and FIFA voted Kosovo in years ago. It's strange that they are allowed to play football with other European countries but apparently, "singing together" would be a dealbreaker for Serbia (and other countries in the EBU).

especially when football matches often result in violence and disorder. eurovision never had that problem.

I think it's more to do with Kosovo's broadcaster since it's not a member of that international network organisation (forgot the name)

esc87fan

For a broadcaster to apply for EBU membership, a country has to be part of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), it's in their rules. Kosovo is not a member of the ITU

Mainshow

Veteran
Sooooo what's all this about then? Trying to put pressure on the EBU?

That's probably the previously announced own "national final" by RTK - The broadcaster announced it like 5-6 months ago (?) and said that this festival (which they are about to introduce and organise) could function as a "national final" whenever Kosovo is allowed to participate in Eurovision.

Thus, it could only be a little teaser for the festival (and doesn't mean that they will take part).

Btw, that's where I read about it for the very first time:
The board of RTK has today signed off on the creation of Festivalit të Këngës, a new song contest that would be used as a future selection for Eurovision.

The Kosovar broadcaster RTK has announced that its board has today agreed to the creation of a new song contest this year. Festivalit të Këngës will be a song contest for performers from Kosovo and fulfills RTK’s requirements to offer the public additional cultural and artistic events.

RTK has specifically stated in a press release today that RTK aims to use Festivalit të Këngës as a selection for a future Kosovar representative at the Eurovision Song Contest, once the country has debuted in the contest. RTK has been aiming to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest since it declared independence in 2008.

The Director-General of RTK stated in 2022 that it was aiming to apply for EBU membership by the end of 2022, however, this has yet to take place. Mr. Ahmetxhekaj believes that Kosovo may now have a greater chance of joining the EBU following the removal and suspension of Russia and Belarus.

shameless

It's kinda cool that they also go with the same name as the Albanian NF. Chaotic mess alert and I am here for that. :)

A-lister

Veteran
As long as Serbia is in, there is no chance for them

Well, like @Mainshow mentioned, there are cases where Kosovo and Serbia take part in the same competitions...

And why should EBU tip-toe around Serbia anyways xshrug

Eidechse

Because ebu doesn't want to loose Serbia in case Kosovo debuts, don't forget that Serbia is one of the most important countries in Eurovision.
Like if corruption wasn't a thing... Serbia has money and resources which Kosovo does not have. It's that simple, EBU is good at handshaking.

A-lister

Veteran
Because ebu doesn't want to loose Serbia in case Kosovo debuts, don't forget that Serbia is one of the most important countries in Eurovision.
Again, it's not certain they would loose them that's my point...

Lol at the "one of the most important..." though...

A-lister

Veteran
Spain surely would count as one of the most important though?

What does Spain has to do with it though? @GRE said Serbia...

And yes, I know that there are some countries that don't recognize Kosovo as an independent country, but I don't think they would make a huge fuss when it only comes to entertainment like Eurovision, it's not as if we're talking becoming an EU or NATO member...

Top Bottom